Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Fire Aid 2020 : Australia
Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 12, 2020 09:42

Serena Williams just won the ASB Classic WTA Tournament in Auckland and donated all her prize money to the Bushfire Relief Fund, and Cricket Australia has announced a charity game featuring retired legends to be played before the Big Bash League Final in the coming weeks, fantastic news

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 12, 2020 13:01

I (and Mrs L) are making our first trip to Australia next month (also visiting NZ).
We got a message from the tour company to ring them back...'but there is nothing to worry about'.
I thought....cancellation time! Anyway, just a modest change to our itinerary. I do feel for the people affected and that those with the powers to do something act swiftly. A billion or so for short term aid, however laudible wont stop the chances of a repeat in the years to come.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 12, 2020 17:14

Maybe a benefit concert including the Stones, E Street Band, Robert Cray, Rod Stewart, and U2, etc...would be great idea. Concert would be a worldwide televised event where folks could call in and donate.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 12, 2020 22:30

[firefightaustralia.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-12 22:31 by Koen.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 12, 2020 23:36

More about it, plus additional events, here

[www.theage.com.au]

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: January 13, 2020 02:58

jlowe
I (and Mrs L) are making our first trip to Australia next month (also visiting NZ).
We got a message from the tour company to ring them back...'but there is nothing to worry about'.
I thought....cancellation time! Anyway, just a modest change to our itinerary. I do feel for the people affected and that those with the powers to do something act swiftly. A billion or so for short term aid, however laudible wont stop the chances of a repeat in the years to come.

Good on ya! We are open for business!

Enjoy your time here....

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: January 13, 2020 03:01

SKILLS
CaptainCorella
SKILLS
I'm invoking the spirit of the ANZAC's, New Zealand and Australia played a one day cricket game to raise funds after Ash Wednesday in 1983. I think this time we should do a multi sport weekend, Rugby Union, Rugby League, Netball and Cricket at Marvel Stadium over 2 days and nights and Rod Laver Arena, with a Monster Gig at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) on the Saturday night to raise millions.

I propose

ACDC
Cold Chisel
Crowded House
Midnight Oil
Icehouse
Kylie Minogue
Keith Urban
Rose Tattoo
The John Butler Trio
Powderfinger
Rick Springfield
Shihad
Split Enz
Brooke Fraser
The Angels
The Veronicas
Dragon
Sherbet/Daryl Braithwaite
Jet
The Vines
Australian Crawl/James Reyne
Hunters & Collectors
Human Nature
The Models
The Wiggles & Hi 5 for the kids
Lorde
Dave Dobbyn
Hillsong
Mi-Sex
Tina Arena
5 Seconds of Summer

& maybe INXS with some of the other artists doing the vocals

just to start with there's plenty of Country artists/Indie & Pop artists who rock both sides of the Tasman

Is there some reason I'm not seeing Paul Kelly in that list?

OOP's

Paul Kelly
Nick Cave
The Johnnys
Hoodoo Gurus
Pseudo Echo

& The bloke who sings "Up There, Cazaly" [www.youtube.com]
& "C'mon Aussie C'mon" [www.youtube.com]

& I know she's very unwell but even if she walked on Stage, Olivia Newton John
& Helen Reddy

and get Russell Crowe (born in NZ), Nicole Kidman, The Hemsworth Bro's, Hugh Jackman, Cate Blanchett, Geoffrey Rush, Rose Bryne, Margot Robbie, Sam Worthington, Toni Collette, Ben Mendelsohn, Rebel Wilson, Naomi Watts, Guy Pearce, Isla Fisher, Bryan Brown & Mel Gibson as MC's

Where do The Seekers fit in in your view of Australian Music? (Judith Durham is unable to perform, so it's an entirely academic question).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: January 13, 2020 21:52

SKILLS
Serena Williams just won the ASB Classic WTA Tournament in Auckland and donated all her prize money to the Bushfire Relief Fund, and Cricket Australia has announced a charity game featuring retired legends to be played before the Big Bash League Final in the coming weeks, fantastic news

Serena and Jeff Bezos can share the award for self congratulatory relief donations.

If you are rich and want to do something then mean it.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: January 13, 2020 23:08

Chris Fountain
Maybe a benefit concert including the Stones, E Street Band, Robert Cray, Rod Stewart, and U2, etc...would be great idea. Concert would be a worldwide televised event where folks could call in and donate.

It's 2020.

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: January 13, 2020 23:27

Do we have a climate problem ?

What is your opinion about all those people traveling by airplane to see a Rolling Stones concert on the other side of the planet ?

Is this question allowed here ?

Date: January 13, 2020 23:29

Bastion
Chris Fountain

It's 2020.

They're still alive -

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: January 13, 2020 23:46

What about the Church, the Saints, Jimmy Barnes. .

Date: January 13, 2020 23:56

ElGeordie
What about the Church, the Saints, Jimmy Barnes. .

I agree - the Church should do their aprt of all faiths and New Orleans if possible- they have had their bad share of luck lately. I'm not sure who Jimmy Barnes is, I'll check out Youtube. - but this is all coming together. I think Australia is in a way our cousin country! They are very strong !!

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: January 14, 2020 01:03

SKILLS
I'm invoking the spirit of the ANZAC's, New Zealand and Australia played a one day cricket game to raise funds after Ash Wednesday in 1983. I think this time we should do a multi sport weekend, Rugby Union, Rugby League, Netball and Cricket at Marvel Stadium over 2 days and nights and Rod Laver Arena, with a Monster Gig at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) on the Saturday night to raise millions.

I propose

ACDC
Cold Chisel
Crowded House
Midnight Oil
Icehouse
Kylie Minogue
Keith Urban
Rose Tattoo
The John Butler Trio
Powderfinger
Rick Springfield
Shihad
Split Enz
Brooke Fraser
The Angels
The Veronicas
Dragon
Jet
The Vines
Hunters & Collectors
Human Nature
The Models
Lorde
Dave Dobbyn
Hillsong
Mi-Sex
Tina Arena
5 Seconds of Summer

just to start with there's plenty of Country artists/Indie & Pop artists who rock both sides of the Tasman

Maybe Mick Hucknall with INXS as he seems to be rent a singer nowadays lol

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: January 14, 2020 06:51

As sad as this is, it has been happening for tens of thousands of years when nobody knew about it. For scientific reasons, some burnt out areas should not be touched at all to see how Nature will play itself out and restore the land.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: January 14, 2020 12:22

Didn't Adam Lambert play with INX on USA Idol before Queen and blow everyone away!
or maybe he did an INX song at least?

When Queen have finished with him then INX should consider one more tour with him

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 14, 2020 13:26

I suppose it takes a bit of bottle to be a substitute singer and front man for any classic band.

[Something we've seen quite a bit of since live music started to be where all the money is.]

You have to give some credit for that .

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: January 14, 2020 13:35

MileHigh
As sad as this is, it has been happening for tens of thousands of years when nobody knew about it. For scientific reasons, some burnt out areas should not be touched at all to see how Nature will play itself out and restore the land.

It's been getting worse in more recent times though.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 14, 2020 13:45

grzegorz67
MileHigh

It's been getting worse in more recent times though.

It's difficult isn't it . The Human race , as usual, is the problem.

We uniquely have the capacity to artificially change our environment ...and having decided that we want to live in areas affected by natural disasters we want to interfere with the natural processes.

But like grzegorz says...it's the scale that's the problem here.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 14, 2020 21:23

Does anyone think that intentional fires have been lit in a similar manner as to the Brazilian Rainforest to clear land for mass development ? I am quite cynical in thinking this way in light of what happened to the Rainforest and then the subsequent appearance of an abundance of Brazilian Rosewood on the open market that some claimed was reclaimed Brazilian Rosewood from buildings being torn down and the rosewood reclaimed for commercial export ?

Date: January 14, 2020 23:01

TheGreek
Does anyone think that intentional fires have been lit in a similar manner as to the Brazilian Rainforest to clear land for mass development ? I am quite cynical in thinking this way in light of what happened to the Rainforest and then the subsequent appearance of an abundance of Brazilian Rosewood on the open market that some claimed was reclaimed Brazilian Rosewood from buildings being torn down and the rosewood reclaimed for commercial export ?

Does anyone?

Nope. Anyone who has been paying the slightest attention to the way malign rumours such as this start and then checks out the well documented refutation by the Police in both of the main Australian States affected cannot possibly believe that this has any basis in truth.

Start here [www.theguardian.com]

It's just as off-scale f*wit stupid as claims that it has been started by developers of a High Speed Train proposal to clear the route. (The inconvenient truth being that there's almost no place where the proposed route aligns with the areas affected by the fires!).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 15, 2020 03:56

LiveAtHidepark
Do we have a climate problem ?

What is your opinion about all those people traveling by airplane to see a Rolling Stones concert on the other side of the planet ?

Is this question allowed here ?

NO! Philistine!!!! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: January 15, 2020 06:52

SKILLS

I propose

ACDC
Cold Chisel
Crowded House
Midnight Oil
Icehouse
Kylie Minogue
Keith Urban
Rose Tattoo
The John Butler Trio
Powderfinger
Rick Springfield
Shihad
Split Enz
Brooke Fraser
The Angels
The Veronicas
Dragon
Jet
The Vines
Hunters & Collectors
Human Nature
The Models
Lorde
Dave Dobbyn
Hillsong
Mi-Sex
Tina Arena
5 Seconds of Summer

JET no longer exists

you forgot 2 Aussie biggies,

YOU AM I & CHOCOLATE STARSHIP. And if still alive THE DYVINYLS

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 15, 2020 07:19

Divinyls .... sadly Chrissy passed away in 2013

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: January 15, 2020 17:40

Powderfinger broke up in 2010 too. Although their guitarist, Ian Haug is now playing with The Church: one of the best bands ever to come out of Australia - they are still producing original, thought provoking music.

Date: January 15, 2020 22:57

THE AGE --- 16 January 2020

ROCKMAN

Date: January 15, 2020 23:12

Rockman

THE AGE --- 16 January 2020

It's one of the very few good stories coming out of the recent events - thanks for bringing to the attention of those who may not have spotted it.

Folk interested in the bigger picture may care to read this article... [www.theguardian.com]

The current Govt seems to be scrambling to catch up on action. Or is it? Their Neanderthal back benchers are still blocking any substantive actions.

All they are doing at the moment is looking at ADAPTING to Climate Change (which in fairness ought to be attended to) but are still doing absolutely nothing at all to ABATE the causes.

It's always worth relating that the current Govt minister in charge of many of these matters did the following "Ms Ley famously changed the spelling of her first name to Sussan, after discovering a numerology theory claiming it would bring her an exciting and interesting life. " (Source [www.abc.net.au]) so scientific rigour is something that she is obviously not equipped to understand.

Nor is honesty in public life. She was sacked from a previous Cabinet post because she used public resources to fly herself around Australia for 100% personal activities (buying an apartment on the Gold Coast).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: January 15, 2020 23:59

THE AUSTRALIAN --- 16 January 2020

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 16, 2020 21:55

Wow...riveting, thanks for sharing Rockman.

I don't know the political circumstances there, but it seems like blaming the government for not doing enough about climate change is a bit misguided. I understand the frustration, but it seems as though it's more like all governments need to work towards solutions very quickly. It's not as though if Australia had only switched to all solar power, that would have changed the current circumstance.

If the government is to blame, what exactly is the issue around that, or is it simply a lack of a proper prevention plan, or emergency response plan?

Date: January 16, 2020 23:04

treaclefingers
Wow...riveting, thanks for sharing Rockman.

I don't know the political circumstances there, but it seems like blaming the government for not doing enough about climate change is a bit misguided. I understand the frustration, but it seems as though it's more like all governments need to work towards solutions very quickly. It's not as though if Australia had only switched to all solar power, that would have changed the current circumstance.

If the government is to blame, what exactly is the issue around that, or is it simply a lack of a proper prevention plan, or emergency response plan?

Have you read other posting in this thread? You don't know the 'political circumstances' yet you don't blame the Govt? That's hardly sensible!!

The Australian Govt hasn't simply sinned by "not doing enough about climate change" it has sinned by both doing almost nothing, AND basically refusing in the past to accept any link between emissions and climate change. Even now it is only working to working to adapt to the current events and is flagrantly not doing anything about abatement of the causes.

This known person has joined in the debate [www.theage.com.au]

The Govt also promotes the additional use of coal - strongly backing a proposal to build a huge mine and coal powered generating station in Queensland (with the additional wrecking features of polluting groundwater and polluting the Great Barrier Reef).

We're all in this together. Australia just happens to be suffering most at the moment, but what everyone is seeing is what it will be like all over the globe if full joint dramatic international action isn't taken soon. Yes, China must act. Yes, India must act. And yes, the USA must reinstate the many policies in this area that the current incumbent President has reversed.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1441
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home