Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Fire Aid 2020 : Australia
Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: January 9, 2020 21:25

Been reported by Brian May that Queen have been asked to play to raise funds for the 1000's of fire victims...any one else been asked?....

would the stones play - they did the concert for New York, its a long way to go for 5 songs

the who, the eagles, dylan, fleetwood mac, macca, Mad donna, Tina T, clapton ....thought the desert trip gig was the last mega gig 2 years ago, could this be a last 'live aid' type show as they all approach 80

Re: Fire Aid 2020 : Australia
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 10, 2020 03:14

I think Australian and New Zealand musos will get together and put on a great concert to help out it's the poor animals affected by the bushfires who I really feel sorry for

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 10, 2020 03:15

ukcal
could this be a last 'live aid' type show as they all approach 80

I'm sure there are plenty of younger bands willing to play for many more decades.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 10, 2020 04:34

i think the fires need put out now, not after some oldie bands get together and play a gig.

its good that people are contributing cash donations, hope that helps.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 10, 2020 04:37

I heard on the news that over 180 people have been arrested for arson in starting fires there. That seems to be a huge cause of the problem.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: January 10, 2020 05:37

The Sicilian
I heard on the news that over 180 people have been arrested for arson in starting fires there. That seems to be a huge cause of the problem.

"24 people have been charged over alleged deliberately-lit bushfires"

[www.police.nsw.gov.au]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 10, 2020 05:38

The Sicilian

At least it isn't related to climate change...that's a relief!

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 10, 2020 09:10

It is attributed to climate change, cuts to funding of rural fire services and inadequate land management(back burning).

[www.noise11.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-10 09:14 by terraplane.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 10, 2020 11:33

treaclefingers
The Sicilian

Writing from Australia. And this evening (here) I can for the first time for over a week clearly see the top of the hill across the valley where I live. ie the local smoke is dissipating.

There have been the most extraordinary inventions and concoctions seeking to explain the bushfire events events of the past few weeks.

It is true to say that any one particular fire can't be explained away as a result of Climate Change - about the only thing our moronic PM has ever said that I remotely agree with. It is the accumulation of events that can only be explained as a consequence of Climate Change.

The annual average rainfall in 2019 in Australia was a record low amount. Not by a small margin. The previous record low was 314mm in 1902. Last year's total was 277mm - that's a whopping 37mm, over 10% less than the previous record.

Here are two links that will hopefully give a feel for the absolute scale of this disaster:
[www.theage.com.au] (as a scale, it's about 500 miles from Sydney to Melbourne)
[www.theguardian.com] - that one may be a tad out of date - ie it's got bigger since it was done. Overlay the square onto somewhere you know well - London, Paris, NewYork, LA etc

Essentially sub-morons who deny Climate Change are trying all sorts of nefarious things to try to distract people. The ridiculous and unfounded claim of large numbers being as a result of Arson is one thing. (Of course there are a few - there are some very ill people out there!)

Another example was sent to me a few days ago. It was a claim that the entire bushfire episode had been staged by a powerful group of capitalists (my term) who were seeking to drive people away from the area being burned so that they could press ahead with building a High Speed Train link along Australia's East Coast. There are indeed published plans for such a link, but if you do what the author of that drivel had failed to do, and compare the proposed route to the areas burned you'd see only the tiniest of areas where they overlapped.

Australia has found itself at the sharp end of what may well be an Extinction Event. Our current PM seems to be trying to say that it has crept up on us without much warning. Provably nonsense. I remember sitting in a University Graduation ceremony in 1987 and the Vice Chancellor gave a speech about the dangers of Global Warming including the melting of the Greenland Ice Cap and the subsequent raising of sea levels.

(Keeping it with The Rolling Stones) In 1999 I went to see The Stones in Wembley along with one of my oldest friends - [tinyurl.com] - and his long report (with the clear backing of both Tony Blair and George Brown who were on stage with him at the launch) was published in 2006.

Scientists have been predicting this for years. The thing about science is that you study facts, think about the facts, and then come up with a theory that allows you to predict what will happen. What was predicted is exactly what has happened, so no-one has the slightest excuse for not taking the predictions very seriously and taking the actions that have been suggested.

Yes it will be painful. But the alternative is far far more damaging than doing nothing.

But it may well be too late.

ObStones: "It's All Over Now" - it may well be.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 10, 2020 11:38

treaclefingers
The Sicilian

It most definitely IS attributable to climate change.Official studies 12 years ago predicted there could be 'significant problems' by 2020.
There has been some arson but this has been overstated to suit the denyers.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 10, 2020 12:01

WelshEdge1
The Sicilian

"24 people have been charged over alleged deliberately-lit bushfires"

[www.police.nsw.gov.au]

Under the current circumstances they should all get life with no remission for that,

It's not just the always appalling crime of arson , its the wilful and knowing destruction of vast amounts of property and potentially the murder of people and wild life alike.

Just what is the matter with some morons !

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: January 10, 2020 15:48

CaptainCorella
treaclefingers
The Sicilian

Writing from Australia. And this evening (here) I can for the first time for over a week clearly see the top of the hill across the valley where I live. ie the local smoke is dissipating.

There have been the most extraordinary inventions and concoctions seeking to explain the bushfire events events of the past few weeks.

It is true to say that any one particular fire can't be explained away as a result of Climate Change - about the only thing our moronic PM has ever said that I remotely agree with. It is the accumulation of events that can only be explained as a consequence of Climate Change.

The annual average rainfall in 2019 in Australia was a record low amount. Not by a small margin. The previous record low was 314mm in 1902. Last year's total was 277mm - that's a whopping 37mm, over 10% less than the previous record.

Here are two links that will hopefully give a feel for the absolute scale of this disaster:
[www.theage.com.au] (as a scale, it's about 500 miles from Sydney to Melbourne)
[www.theguardian.com] - that one may be a tad out of date - ie it's got bigger since it was done. Overlay the square onto somewhere you know well - London, Paris, NewYork, LA etc

Essentially sub-morons who deny Climate Change are trying all sorts of nefarious things to try to distract people. The ridiculous and unfounded claim of large numbers being as a result of Arson is one thing. (Of course there are a few - there are some very ill people out there!)

Another example was sent to me a few days ago. It was a claim that the entire bushfire episode had been staged by a powerful group of capitalists (my term) who were seeking to drive people away from the area being burned so that they could press ahead with building a High Speed Train link along Australia's East Coast. There are indeed published plans for such a link, but if you do what the author of that drivel had failed to do, and compare the proposed route to the areas burned you'd see only the tiniest of areas where they overlapped.

Australia has found itself at the sharp end of what may well be an Extinction Event. Our current PM seems to be trying to say that it has crept up on us without much warning. Provably nonsense. I remember sitting in a University Graduation ceremony in 1987 and the Vice Chancellor gave a speech about the dangers of Global Warming including the melting of the Greenland Ice Cap and the subsequent raising of sea levels.

(Keeping it with The Rolling Stones) In 1999 I went to see The Stones in Wembley along with one of my oldest friends - [tinyurl.com] - and his long report (with the clear backing of both Tony Blair and George Brown who were on stage with him at the launch) was published in 2006.

Scientists have been predicting this for years. The thing about science is that you study facts, think about the facts, and then come up with a theory that allows you to predict what will happen. What was predicted is exactly what has happened, so no-one has the slightest excuse for not taking the predictions very seriously and taking the actions that have been suggested.

Yes it will be painful. But the alternative is far far more damaging than doing nothing.

But it may well be too late.

ObStones: "It's All Over Now" - it may well be.

I agree with every word, Captain. I too have listened to the forecasts of scientists for many years and have seen their predictions come true. The same cannot be said about the predictions of the climate change denying politicians. The world feels for Australia just now - I just hope we all learn a lesson and realise that it is our collective responsibility to make radical changes.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 10, 2020 18:30

climate change or not, arsonists should be treated as murderers, if they kill someone its murder, not an accident, if they dont kill someone its attempted murder in my opinion. and what about those poor animals, would throw these clowns at the mercy of the animal liberation front, see how they like that.

Date: January 10, 2020 23:14

buttons67
climate change or not, arsonists should be treated as murderers, if they kill someone its murder, not an accident, if they dont kill someone its attempted murder in my opinion. and what about those poor animals, would throw these clowns at the mercy of the animal liberation front, see how they like that.

Please - PLEASE! - don't get distracted by the false tales about the scale of Arson. It's what the deniers want to happen. They want people to be outraged (rightly!) at the thought of arson so that they don't then spend time talking about and realising what's really going on.

For a well balanced and well sourced article about the minor role that Arson is playing in all of this.... [www.abc.net.au]

Read about, talk about, Climate Change and the way that prevention of real and substantive action by powerful deniers (and their running dogs) is putting the planet in real and imminent danger. Be scared for the future of your children and your grand-children.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 10, 2020 23:25

Herald Sun -- 11 January 2020

ROCKMAN

Date: January 10, 2020 23:27

jlowe
treaclefingers
The Sicilian

It most definitely IS attributable to climate change.Official studies 12 years ago predicted there could be 'significant problems' by 2020.
There has been some arson but this has been overstated to suit the denyers.

very sorry...my scathing sarcasm didn't seem to have translated well. We need a sarcasm emoticon to help in my future unrequested-by-anyone-but-kindly-delivered-anyway, sarcastic observations.

eye rolling smiley ...will this work?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 10, 2020 23:29

Would love to see AC/DC headline a show!

Want to give a special shout out to the Canadian firefighters who have flown down under to help out!

Date: January 11, 2020 00:09

THE AUSTRALIAN -- 11 January 2020

ROCKMAN

Date: January 11, 2020 00:34

DGA35

Want to give a special shout out to the Canadian firefighters who have flown down under to help out!

You've probably noticed things getting worse in the summers around here in the last few years. This past summer we got a bit of a break but the previous 3 or 4 have been brutal. I remember the previous August (2018) we were engulfed in smoke for a month. Awful.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 11, 2020 00:49

treaclefingers
DGA35

You've probably noticed things getting worse in the summers around here in the last few years. This past summer we got a bit of a break but the previous 3 or 4 have been brutal. I remember the previous August (2018) we were engulfed in smoke for a month. Awful.

No doubt. I actually live in Hope so in the summer it gets pretty smokey as things funnel up the valley. If it's not smoke it's smog from the city! One of my best friends live in Loon Lake now and that area got hit by the huge forest fires a couple years ago. Luckily his place was spared but he was evacuated to Kamloops for a few weeks.

Date: January 11, 2020 00:54

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 11, 2020 00:57

Unspeakably sad. Words can’t do this devastation justice.

Date: January 11, 2020 01:05

THE AGE -- 11 Jan 2020

ROCKMAN

Date: January 11, 2020 01:15

ukcal
Been reported by Brian May that Queen have been asked to play to raise funds for the 1000's of fire victims...any one else been asked?....

would the stones play - they did the concert for New York, its a long way to go for 5 songs

the who, the eagles, dylan, fleetwood mac, macca, Mad donna, Tina T, clapton ....thought the desert trip gig was the last mega gig 2 years ago, could this be a last 'live aid' type show as they all approach 80

https://www.fireaid2020.com/

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: January 11, 2020 01:17

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 11, 2020 09:31

I'm invoking the spirit of the ANZAC's, New Zealand and Australia played a one day cricket game to raise funds after Ash Wednesday in 1983. I think this time we should do a multi sport weekend, Rugby Union, Rugby League, Netball and Cricket at Marvel Stadium over 2 days and nights and Rod Laver Arena, with a Monster Gig at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) on the Saturday night to raise millions.

I propose

ACDC
Cold Chisel
Crowded House
Midnight Oil
Icehouse
Kylie Minogue
Keith Urban
Rose Tattoo
The John Butler Trio
Powderfinger
Rick Springfield
Shihad
Split Enz
Brooke Fraser
The Angels
The Veronicas
Dragon
Sherbet/Daryl Braithwaite
Jet
The Vines
Australian Crawl/James Reyne
Hunters & Collectors
Human Nature
The Models
The Wiggles & Hi 5 for the kids
Lorde
Dave Dobbyn
Hillsong
Mi-Sex
Tina Arena
5 Seconds of Summer

& maybe INXS with some of the other artists doing the vocals

just to start with there's plenty of Country artists/Indie & Pop artists who rock both sides of the Tasman

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-11 09:40 by SKILLS.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: January 11, 2020 11:00

What about the Hoodoo Gurus?

Date: January 11, 2020 11:06

SKILLS
I'm invoking the spirit of the ANZAC's, New Zealand and Australia played a one day cricket game to raise funds after Ash Wednesday in 1983. I think this time we should do a multi sport weekend, Rugby Union, Rugby League, Netball and Cricket at Marvel Stadium over 2 days and nights and Rod Laver Arena, with a Monster Gig at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) on the Saturday night to raise millions.

I propose

ACDC
Cold Chisel
Crowded House
Midnight Oil
Icehouse
Kylie Minogue
Keith Urban
Rose Tattoo
The John Butler Trio
Powderfinger
Rick Springfield
Shihad
Split Enz
Brooke Fraser
The Angels
The Veronicas
Dragon
Jet
The Vines
Hunters & Collectors
Human Nature
The Models
Lorde
Dave Dobbyn
Hillsong
Mi-Sex
Tina Arena
5 Seconds of Summer

just to start with there's plenty of Country artists/Indie & Pop artists who rock both sides of the Tasman

Is there some reason I'm not seeing Paul Kelly in that list? <expletive deleted>

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 11, 2020 11:54

CaptainCorella
SKILLS

I propose

ACDC
Cold Chisel
Crowded House
Midnight Oil
Icehouse
Kylie Minogue
Keith Urban
Rose Tattoo
The John Butler Trio
Powderfinger
Rick Springfield
Shihad
Split Enz
Brooke Fraser
The Angels
The Veronicas
Dragon
Jet
The Vines
Hunters & Collectors
Human Nature
The Models
Lorde
Dave Dobbyn
Hillsong
Mi-Sex
Tina Arena
5 Seconds of Summer

Is there some reason I'm not seeing Paul Kelly in that list?

OOP's

Paul Kelly
Nick Cave
The Johnnys
Hoodoo Gurus
Pseudo Echo

& The bloke who sings "Up There, Cazaly" [www.youtube.com]
& "C'mon Aussie C'mon" [www.youtube.com]

& I know she's very unwell but even if she walked on Stage, Olivia Newton John
& Helen Reddy

and get Russell Crowe (born in NZ), Nicole Kidman, The Hemsworth Bro's, Hugh Jackman, Cate Blanchett, Geoffrey Rush, Rose Bryne, Margot Robbie, Sam Worthington, Toni Collette, Ben Mendelsohn, Rebel Wilson, Naomi Watts, Guy Pearce, Isla Fisher, Bryan Brown & Mel Gibson as MC's

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-11 12:29 by SKILLS.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 11, 2020 15:44

SKILLS
CaptainCorella
SKILLS

I propose

ACDC
Cold Chisel
Crowded House
Midnight Oil
Icehouse
Kylie Minogue
Keith Urban
Rose Tattoo
The John Butler Trio
Powderfinger
Rick Springfield
Shihad
Split Enz
Brooke Fraser
The Angels
The Veronicas
Dragon
Jet
The Vines
Hunters & Collectors
Human Nature
The Models
Lorde
Dave Dobbyn
Hillsong
Mi-Sex
Tina Arena
5 Seconds of Summer

Is there some reason I'm not seeing Paul Kelly in that list?

OOP's

Paul Kelly
Nick Cave
The Johnnys
Hoodoo Gurus
Pseudo Echo

& The bloke who sings "Up There, Cazaly" [www.youtube.com]
& "C'mon Aussie C'mon" [www.youtube.com]

& I know she's very unwell but even if she walked on Stage, Olivia Newton John
& Helen Reddy

and get Russell Crowe (born in NZ), Nicole Kidman, The Hemsworth Bro's, Hugh Jackman, Cate Blanchett, Geoffrey Rush, Rose Bryne, Margot Robbie, Sam Worthington, Toni Collette, Ben Mendelsohn, Rebel Wilson, Naomi Watts, Guy Pearce, Isla Fisher, Bryan Brown & Mel Gibson as MC's

How about You Am I? wonderful band, woefully ignored by most of the world but they are quite popular down under.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1326
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home