Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Anybody Here Ever See Jose Feliciano?
Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: January 9, 2020 19:45

Ever since I Heard Jose's haunting rendition of California Dreaming in the film Once Upon A Time In Hollywood I've become interested in seeing him live. Preferably in Las Vegas. So naturally I'm curious if anybody here has ever seen him perform. Is he still good? Does he perform solo or with a band? Does such a band have strings, horns or backup singers. Any insight or opinions would be appreciated.

Re: OT: Anybody Here Ever See Jose Feliciano?
Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 9, 2020 20:07

Have never seen him, but check here for starters:

[www.josefeliciano.com]

Recent concert review linked from his site as well:

[www.josefeliciano.com]

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 9, 2020 20:49

I saw him open for someone (the Animals?) at the Circle Star Theatre in San Jose way back in the late 60s if I remember right. I was basically pretty bored but then again I was into rock and roll and not virtuoso acoustic guitar.

jb

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 9, 2020 21:24

I can tell you that he never 'saw' me!

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: January 10, 2020 10:45

I saw a theatre show of his in 2018, he is very much worth seeing live if you get a chance. Both his voice and guitar playing are still top notch, his backing band consisted of a second lead electric guitarist, bass, keys, drums and additional percussionist, they were all good players. I went in as casual fan and left wanting to explore more of his music. I also ended up getting a chance to meet him after the show and had a quick chat, he is a really nice guy.

Posted by: AmpegVT22 ()
Date: January 10, 2020 10:55

Not really my taste but he's a sensationally good guitarist.

Almost certainly saw him on one of those overstuffed festival bills (Shepton Mallet, IOW 70, &c.) but no clear memory...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 10, 2020 15:28

LeonidP

Post of the week! Ya beat me to it.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 10, 2020 15:33

LeonidP

smoking smiley

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: January 10, 2020 17:57

Saw him in 1974 in Frankfurt (W-Germany), he played in addition to his own songs Purple Haze. He was joined onstage with Georges Moustaki who sat in the front row and they sang together one of Georges´s hits - can´t remember which one.

A night to remenber.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 10, 2020 19:44

Elmo Lewis
LeonidP

Post of the week! Ya beat me to it.

I was quickly skimming the posts to deliver that one-liner...sad to see that I was backgammoned.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: January 10, 2020 20:04

ChrisMahavishnu
I saw a theatre show of his in 2018, he is very much worth seeing live if you get a chance. Both his voice and guitar playing are still top notch, his backing band consisted of a second lead electric guitarist, bass, keys, drums and additional percussionist, they were all good players. I went in as casual fan and left wanting to explore more of his music. I also ended up getting a chance to meet him after the show and had a quick chat, he is a really nice guy.

Good stuff. Thanks.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 10, 2020 20:22

His cover of Light my Fire is not that bad -

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 10, 2020 20:47

Me and Ray Charles got a chuckle out of that. I had to read it to him of course.

jb

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: January 10, 2020 23:06

Jose Feliciano, you got no complaints. - Steve Buscemi, Fargo.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 10, 2020 23:36

Saw him a couple of times back in the 70s. Great performer and superb guitarist. One of his covers that still wows me to this day is "And I Love Her". His guitar playing on this song is just beautiful.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: BostonLass ()
Date: January 11, 2020 02:25

Interestingly enough, he lives in Weston CT. I once read that in spite of their proximity, he and Keith have never met.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 11, 2020 02:39

BostonLass
Interestingly enough, he lives in Weston CT. I once read that in spite of their proximity, he and Keith have never met.

Does Keith venture out much from his compound? You get the impression he does not.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 11, 2020 03:51

I remember seeing him on tv in the late '60's (maybe Ed Sullivan show?) playing Light My Fire - as a six year old I was mesmerized.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: January 12, 2020 02:16

jlowe
BostonLass

Does Keith venture out much from his compound? You get the impression he does not.

Actually, he does get out quite a lot. He recently spent an afternoon at Marc’s Place, a restaurant owned by a relative of Patti’s. He is often out doing stuff with the family.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 12, 2020 03:42

Bungo, thanks for rhe topic.

Hearing the song in the film blew me away. Do you know which year Feliciano recorded the version on the sound track?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: janathmer ()
Date: January 12, 2020 19:32

I've seen him ten years ago over here in the Netherlands(the Hague) and he was absolutely fantastic. He is a brilliant guitarist both on acoustic guitar and on electric guitar.Very impresssing!And a great singer with a unique sound.His band was fabulous. Only absolute top musicians who worked with a.o.Michael Jackson.He played his own great songs and he did some covers from a.o.Jimi Hendrix and Michael Jackson and turned them into his own style and sound. One of the most surprising concerts of my life. Absolutely BRILLIANT!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2197
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home