Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: David Lee Roth kicks off Las Vegas residency
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 10, 2020 23:43

keefriff99
Sammy has a great voice and still sounds pretty great at 72 years old, but his lyrics are rather generic and he's average as a frontman.

DLR wrote extremely clever lyrics on those early VH albums, and his voice, while an acquired taste even back in the day, gave the band a unique quality rather than just being another Robert Plant clone, as was popular for hard rock bands in the late '70s.

Trashing this abysmal performance doesn't mean he wasn't great back in the day...it's just sad to see now. As far as not caring or not taking it seriously, that seems to be the case, which is odd, because in interviews, he takes a lot of pride in his career.

Sammy's voice is still pretty good. I actually like him more as a solo guy as opposed to being in VH. My main beef with him during his VH years was his refusal to want to sing any of the classic VH tunes apart from the usual handful of Panama, Jump and You Really Got Me. I saw Van Hagar 3 times, 86, 91 and 95. The last 2 shows he apologized to the fans for his voice, said he was partying too hard the night before. When he formed Chickenfoot, he said they would be as big as Zeppelin! WTF?
As far as his lyrics go, Only time will tell if we stand the test of time? For a guy that used the word "love" a lot in his lyrics, this is one case where he should have used it. Makes a lot more sense to sing only love will tell if we stand the test of time!
I don't know why Dave doesn't use auto tune. Not sure how it works but I've read that a lot of young female singers use it in concert.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 11, 2020 09:19

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-11 09:29 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 11, 2020 17:23

The singing is bad, but it's the stage presence that is so awful -- he looks completely unprepared. The Spinal Tap backing band doesn't help.
He still has a weird kind of charm, though. If he got a buttoned up band and practiced he could do a Tom Jones kind of show.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 11, 2020 18:37

wonderboy
The singing is bad, but it's the stage presence that is so awful -- he looks completely unprepared. The Spinal Tap backing band doesn't help.
He still has a weird kind of charm, though. If he got a buttoned up band and practiced he could do a Tom Jones kind of show.

Reminds me of when I saw Lou Gramm formerly of Foreigner at a festival in Vegas. While Robert Plant aged well, Gramm was now a short pudgy dude. His guitarist and bass player were horrible. They had the moves of rock stars prancing around on stage but couldn't play for shit. They needed to go back to playing Guitar Hero. When the set ended the consensus around me were awful.

Date: January 11, 2020 18:47

daspyknows
wonderboy

Reminds me of when I saw Lou Gramm formerly of Foreigner at a festival in Vegas. While Robert Plant aged well, Gramm was now a short pudgy dude. His guitarist and bass player were horrible. They had the moves of rock stars prancing around on stage but couldn't play for shit. They needed to go back to playing Guitar Hero. When the set ended the consensus around me were awful.

lou also battled brain cancer and plant did not

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: January 11, 2020 21:05

wonderboy

Actually I thought the band was smokin' hot. The lead guitar sounds just like the records to my ears. Superb. Dave just needs to get his voice right.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 11, 2020 21:10

keefriffhard4life
daspyknows
wonderboy

Neither did DLR. He was not the worst part of the set. It was his band.

Date: January 11, 2020 22:08

daspyknows
keefriffhard4life
daspyknows
wonderboy

Neither did DLR. He was not the worst part of the set. It was his band.

I was talking about lou gramm gaining weight. he was a pretty slim guy until the late 90's/early 00's after he had the brain cancer

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: January 11, 2020 22:09

Pathetic

Date: January 11, 2020 22:21

A guy posted last nights full show on Youtube. This was more like a regular concert, no long speeches between songs. I didn't watch the full 90 minutes, skimmed through. Seems like he's singing in a lower key now, still not great but better than the first night.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: January 11, 2020 23:10

Robert Plant is smart and doesn't even try to hit those high notes anymore. It seems Dave can't stop himself from trying to sing exactly as he did when he was in his twenties. I agree that Dave could sound a lot better with a vocal coach, singing in a lower register, and not trying to hit those high yelps anymore. It sounds bad And like he's hurting his voice at the same time.

And thank heaven Mick uses teleprompters! Dave forgot the lyrics to "California Girls" and it was painfully embarrassing.

Date: January 11, 2020 23:37

jahisnotdead
Robert Plant is smart and doesn't even try to hit those high notes anymore. It seems Dave can't stop himself from trying to sing exactly as he did when he was in his twenties. I agree that Dave could sound a lot better with a vocal coach, singing in a lower register, and not trying to hit those high yelps anymore. It sounds bad And like he's hurting his voice at the same time.

And thank heaven Mick uses teleprompters! Dave forgot the lyrics to "California Girls" and it was painfully embarrassing.

Dave forgetting the words has been part of his schtick pretty much VH's whole career. He'll say that at pretty much every concert.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: January 12, 2020 18:07

keefriff99
Sammy has a great voice and still sounds pretty great at 72 years old, but his lyrics are rather generic and he's average as a frontman.

DLR wrote extremely clever lyrics on those early VH albums, and his voice, while an acquired taste even back in the day, gave the band a unique quality rather than just being another Robert Plant clone, as was popular for hard rock bands in the late '70s.

Trashing this abysmal performance doesn't mean he wasn't great back in the day...it's just sad to see now. As far as not caring or not taking it seriously, that seems to be the case, which is odd, because in interviews, he takes a lot of pride in his career.

exactly...he had great Frontman attitude and stage-presence.

...and besides...what else can he do to make money?

the guy's gotta eat too.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 12, 2020 20:00

jahisnotdead

DLR & Paul Stanley should get along famously on the KISS tour as Paul can't sing anymore either. Maybe David should use a tape like Paul does haha.

Date: January 13, 2020 11:15

I don't think the DLR live tracks are bad at all. It sounds very much like someone's monitor/earbud mix. His LV obviously have no f/x on them at all. Everyone's vocals sound like crap in that way. If you listen - he is not off pitch. On"unchained" he gets some flair going, even at that dry level.
It is the band that IMO is absolutely awful.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 13, 2020 15:28

DGA35
keefriff99

Sammy's voice is still pretty good. I actually like him more as a solo guy as opposed to being in VH. My main beef with him during his VH years was his refusal to want to sing any of the classic VH tunes apart from the usual handful of Panama, Jump and You Really Got Me. I saw Van Hagar 3 times, 86, 91 and 95. The last 2 shows he apologized to the fans for his voice, said he was partying too hard the night before. When he formed Chickenfoot, he said they would be as big as Zeppelin! WTF?
As far as his lyrics go, Only time will tell if we stand the test of time? For a guy that used the word "love" a lot in his lyrics, this is one case where he should have used it. Makes a lot more sense to sing only love will tell if we stand the test of time!
I don't know why Dave doesn't use auto tune. Not sure how it works but I've read that a lot of young female singers use it in concert.

You don't think Sammy was having some fun with Chickenfoot by saying they'd be as big as Zep?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 13, 2020 15:32

Chickenfoot was actually pretty damn good...the members were all just too busy with their other projects to devote the necessary time to it.

Date: January 13, 2020 15:34

The last bit of You Really Got Me Now is HILARIOUS!

It is beyond AWFUL! WOW!

That is fantastic!

Date: January 13, 2020 15:39

From the You Really Got Me comments:

Jeff McNeal:

Yikes. When he sings "I don't know what I'm doin' now", I actually believe him.

Sean Flaherty:

i didn't even pay for this show and i want my money back

Date: January 13, 2020 20:05

GasLightStreet
From the You Really Got Me comments:

Jeff McNeal:

Yikes. When he sings "I don't know what I'm doin' now", I actually believe him.

Sean Flaherty:

i didn't even pay for this show and i want my money back
The comments were brutal and hilarious.

Date: January 13, 2020 21:46

GasLightStreet
DGA35
keefriff99

You don't think Sammy was having some fun with Chickenfoot by saying they'd be as big as Zep?

Hard to tell with Sammy. He also said he was as big as Van Halen when he joined the band! Chickenfoot was a great band, saw them on their second show ever in Vancouver. Seen Satriani a few times prior and Chad Smith was awesome on drums.

Date: January 13, 2020 22:31

Sammy has some life. He made a fortune selling his Cabo Wabo tequila brand. He tours just for fun, drinks tequila with his bandmates and the crowd, and pretty much hangs out on the beach otherwise.

Despite my mixed feelings on his music, the guy has it made.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 14, 2020 04:44

>Sammy has some life...

>Despite my mixed feelings on his music, the guy has it made.

Couldn't have put it better. Thanks.

jb

Date: January 14, 2020 05:32

jbwelda
>Sammy has some life...

>Despite my mixed feelings on his music, the guy has it made.

Couldn't have put it better. Thanks.

jb

Sammy made a lot on the tequila, but really, all of them are multi millionaires.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 14, 2020 06:04

DGA35
GasLightStreet
DGA35
keefriff99

Hard to tell with Sammy. He also said he was as big as Van Halen when he joined the band! Chickenfoot was a great band, saw them on their second show ever in Vancouver. Seen Satriani a few times prior and Chad Smith was awesome on drums.

Sammy also said that he joined VH because at the time "the missus was making more money" than him so it was time to put that straight again.

Date: January 14, 2020 07:14

You all are cruel, LOL

Date: January 15, 2020 16:02

Palace Revolution 2000
You all are cruel, LOL

Nuh uhhhh! When someone has a Yes Man not telling them they stink... it's not like DLR has done anything in I have no idea how long, 30 years? Excluding the last VH album, of course.

Date: January 15, 2020 17:05

I did like his Sky Scraper album with Steve Via.

He has just burnt his mind. I think way too many drugs for old Diamond Dave.

Date: January 15, 2020 18:05

jumpontopofmebaby
I did like his Sky Scraper album with Steve Via.

He has just burnt his mind. I think way too many drugs for old Diamond Dave.

you didn't like eat 'em and smile?

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: January 15, 2020 21:40

DGA35
A guy posted last nights full show on Youtube. This was more like a regular concert, no long speeches between songs. I didn't watch the full 90 minutes, skimmed through. Seems like he's singing in a lower key now, still not great but better than the first night.

All the tunes are in their original key

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1863
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home