Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: my son is finally going to listen to the rolling stones.
Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 8, 2020 18:45

DandelionPowderman
Meise
My son (10) is very much into the Beatles ... it's my dad's fault ;-)

grinning smiley

But it always starts there. It was the same with me. Eventually, we get wiser... smoking smiley

Ha, yes...for me too. My Beatles discovery was around age 12, Stones at age 15. I look fondly on those early Beatles discovery years, but it's more as one might look fondly on childhood. Indeed, much of their music seems childish and whimsical to me now, though I still enjoy it.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: January 8, 2020 18:57

Early spring 1971. I was 9. I borrowed a tape from the elder brother of my best friend. Just to have something I can listen to on my new tape recorder during the first nights in my also new tent, my parents bought for me so could sleep allone and not anymore in the caravan when we went to camping.
This something turned out to be the "Ya Ya's"-tape.
And turned me into the fan I'm still today.
50 years later.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: January 9, 2020 01:55

DandelionPowderman
grzegorz67
DandelionPowderman
Meise

grinning smiley

But it always starts there. It was the same with me. Eventually, we get wiser... smoking smiley

And me winking smiley . Beatles at 6, Stones at 9, both via my dad's record collection. My intro to the Stones was the Rolled Gold compilation in 1976. I looked at the cover and asked my dad when they split up and he said "they're still going". This somehow appealed to me a lot more and sparked my curiosity.

I still like the Beatles a lot and have seen Macca live 8 times but I'm a bigger Stones fan (38 times!). I've always felt they've got a bit more edge and bite to them. thumbs up

For me the greatest thing about the 2 bands' rivalry was that it existed and we had 2 great bands to enjoy. And we've still got one of them grinning smiley

It took a little longer for me. Beatles at 6, Stones at 10. Probably that extra year I was spinning A Hard Days Night endlessly (still my fave Beatles-album) smiling smiley

Much of A Hard Day’s Night was filmed at Marylebone Railway Station in London, which is preserved almost exactly as it was. I’ve arrived there several times from Oxford, most recently to meet a certain harmonica player from Naples to go off and see Mr McCartney at the O2. And better still, the show began with that very song!

Another big Stones moment for me was seeing the official video for Stsrt Me Up on BBC Top of the Pops in 1981. I thought how old and wrinkly they looked for rockers ( grinning smiley ] but wow! They’ve still got it and they can still do it all. And that riff that’s been stuck in a corner of my head ever since winking smiley This was long before the internet age and it was remarkably difficult to get any kind of news or information on them for me as a 14 year old. Only very big record shops had all their old stuff. For most of the 80s they remained a mysterious curiosity for me and I relished all the old clips when they occasionally popped up on TV, All now instantly available on Youtube. I thought I’d never see them live and when I finally did in 1990, I thought it would be the only time... grinning smiley

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 9, 2020 03:20

i was brought up with chart music during the 70,s from the radio first thing in the morning to top of the pops on a thursday yet i had never heard about the rolling stones till well into the 80,s.

the tattoo you era passed me by, so did undercover and dirtywork, wasnt till mid 80,s i knew of the rolling stones and i thought they were a 60,s band that lasted into the 70,s and were no longer playing.

in 1987 when i was discovering u2, the beatles and others i knew jagger was doing a solo album and tour, i just assumed the stones had finished, but by then i had witnessed them on the rock,n roll years and felt there was something different about them, it took me till december 1987 to finally decide to buy a stones tape, i went into record stores several times and walked out empty handed but eventually bought love you live, and was not that impressed but it did grow on me and 5 months later bought rolled gold, and was getting hooked, then i learned they were doing albums up till 1986, didnt imagine then that by 1989 they were planning a new album and tour, finally saw them in 1990 and also thought that would be my first and last.

i hope my son gets into them in the way i have, i took the time and patience to really dig them and its been a great journey since, ive given him a play list of various songs and hope he can dig most of them and have the patience i had to really discover as much as he can in the next few months.

Posted by: massmick ()
Date: January 9, 2020 03:36

buttons67
Hes 15 , never been into music but his girlfriend is a beatles fan and told him he should get into music, so hes been listening to the beatles but he knows im a rolling stones fan and have tried to convert him for a long time with no success.

now hes agreed to listen to some stones, i told him start with hotrocks and rolled gold to get the flavour and diversity of the 60,s.

i was 19 when i discovered the stones, just wondering if anyone out there was around the age of 15 when you discovered the band and what jumped out as instantly likeable for you and what took more time to like, what direction should i point him in, dont want to saturate his head with the entire stones catalogue, not just yet, any advice appreciated, we could have a new board member soon.

If all else fails....duct tape!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 9, 2020 12:22

Nikkei
I'm not sure that such a spark can be forced

Actually I'd do the opposite. Like "nah don't try to listen to this band. It's beautiful complex music. At your age rap is the better choice!".

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: January 14, 2020 02:01

buttons67
Hes 15 , never been into music but his girlfriend is a beatles fan and told him he should get into music, so hes been listening to the beatles but he knows im a rolling stones fan and have tried to convert him for a long time with no success.

now hes agreed to listen to some stones, i told him start with hotrocks and rolled gold to get the flavour and diversity of the 60,s.

i was 19 when i discovered the stones, just wondering if anyone out there was around the age of 15 when you discovered the band and what jumped out as instantly likeable for you and what took more time to like, what direction should i point him in, dont want to saturate his head with the entire stones catalogue, not just yet, any advice appreciated, we could have a new board member soon.
Just take him to a show - if possible! That will have the strongest impact I guess. Took my daughter to her first Stone show years ago when she was 13. Great memories! She still likes Stones stuff, wears Stones shirts and so on...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 14, 2020 07:37

floodonthepage
DandelionPowderman
Meise

grinning smiley

Ha, yes...for me too. My Beatles discovery was around age 12, Stones at age 15. I look fondly on those early Beatles discovery years, but it's more as one might look fondly on childhood. Indeed, much of their music seems childish and whimsical to me now, though I still enjoy it.

Then you'll catch a stray cut, like 'Magical Mystery Tour', and hear the brilliance. They were more than a musical group.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1553
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home