Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
my son is finally going to listen to the rolling stones.
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 7, 2020 22:37

Hes 15 , never been into music but his girlfriend is a beatles fan and told him he should get into music, so hes been listening to the beatles but he knows im a rolling stones fan and have tried to convert him for a long time with no success.

now hes agreed to listen to some stones, i told him start with hotrocks and rolled gold to get the flavour and diversity of the 60,s.

i was 19 when i discovered the stones, just wondering if anyone out there was around the age of 15 when you discovered the band and what jumped out as instantly likeable for you and what took more time to like, what direction should i point him in, dont want to saturate his head with the entire stones catalogue, not just yet, any advice appreciated, we could have a new board member soon.

Re: my son is finally going to listen to the rolling stones.
Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 7, 2020 23:19

I was exactly 15 when I discovered them, actually.

For me, it was the Tattoo You era stuff, and Steel Wheels, funny enough...just because it was 1989 and I was about to see them that tour.

But by the end of the year I had bought Hot Rocks, and for me...the tracks that initially hit me the hardest from Hot Rocks were -

Heart of Stone
Satisfaction
Under my Thumb
Sympathy for the Devil
Midnight Rambler (Live)

Date: January 7, 2020 23:26

my first tape was love you live, that took a while to get into, it grew on me but didnt really dig a lot of it at first, then a few months later bought rolled which gave me a taste of the diversity they had at that time, then spent the rest of 1988 and 1989 discovering the other albums.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 7, 2020 23:31

I'm not sure that such a spark can be forced

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 7, 2020 23:38

if he hears honky tonk women .. that will probably cause him to begin to love the Stones..
throw in a little bit of Shattered too

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 7, 2020 23:47

Leave a copy of Gus & Me
beside his bed .. then have Come On
playin' when he ventures out for breakfast ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 7, 2020 23:59

I was 13 in '67 and never really interested in music, although I liked some tune....... my first single was Michelle from the Beatles(66) and in '67 I had a accident and was at home for e few weeks and had plenty of time to play all the singles from my older brothers and sisters..............and I was hooked with songs like Heart Of Stone, We Love You and 2000 Lights Years From Home.........

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: January 8, 2020 00:02

That’s a good thing

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 8, 2020 00:03

You can't force it...he'll either like them and want to hear more or he won't. I was first exposed to the Stones through Top 40 radio when I was a kid, initially Tumbling Dice and Happy, followed up by Angie in '73. Bought the "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo" single when I was eight, but during those early years, I was just a casual fan.

It really wasn't until Tattoo You and the '81 Hampton show that I became a mega-fan (at age 16)...I think Lennon's death made me think I better get into these guys while they're still around! I taped the Hampton show off the radio and never looked back.

Date: January 8, 2020 00:06

ill give him a diverse set list and tell him not to assume all songs are the same.

and if he dont like it then ill dock his pocket money.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: January 8, 2020 00:20

I was 6 when I first heard the Stones - my dad always played them (along with the Beatles, yes!) in the car. When I was 15 it was 1990 and I saw them on the Urban Jungle tour. But Hot Rocks always was my fav record - espcially:

Midnight Rambler (live)

Later on I discovered all the TSP records and I also bought Brussels - that really blew my mind.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 8, 2020 00:21

buttons67
ill give him a diverse set list and tell him not to assume all songs are the same.

and if he dont like it then ill dock his pocket money.

thumbs up

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: January 8, 2020 02:02

Hot Rocks is a great choice. I had bought "Made in the Shade" first, but I lost interest in the album soon after. It was after I heard JJ Flash and got Hot Rocks that I really took interest in the Stones music.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 8, 2020 02:26

Hot Rocks, LOUD!

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: January 8, 2020 02:53

MisterO
Hot Rocks is a great choice. I had bought "Made in the Shade" first, but I lost interest in the album soon after. It was after I heard JJ Flash and got Hot Rocks that I really took interest in the Stones music.
Made in the Shade was my first Stones album too: I bought it from a kid at school. I then bought Rolled Gold and it was "All Over Now"

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: January 8, 2020 03:49

If he don't like Let it Bleed all the way through, he don't like the Stones.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 8, 2020 04:13

The Stones were always there when I was growing up in the mid-60s. I remember Heart of Stone, then the First Golden Three, Satisfaction/Cloud/19th. They were just another British pop group putting out singles. It wasn't until 1969, with Honky Tonk Women, and Let It Bleed, a Christmas present, that I began to focus on them. Then one day a friend's older brother put on Ya Yas on a great sound system. I was hooked. Then I began to research the group.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: January 8, 2020 05:15

I was 14. Not that long ago actually, few years. Started with my dad's copy of Hot Rocks and from then on I was hooked. Thank God I tumbled upon that dusty box of records in the basement!

Posted by: nick ()
Date: January 8, 2020 06:09

How did he escape hearing them with you being a Stones fan?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-08 06:10 by nick.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: January 8, 2020 08:38

My son (10) is very much into the Beatles ... it's my dad's fault ;-)

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: January 8, 2020 08:59

It’s the modern beta-male way. Oh please son, listen to my old outdated music.
It doesn’t speak to him, The Zeitgeist has changed, people hear things differently and it doesn’t make any sense outside of being a novelty.
His girl is just following a hipster thing listening to the Beatles, it’s like when I listened to Muddy Waters when I was 17, pretty sure I wasn’t in tune with being a sharecropper,
My dad had the right idea, he wasn’t kowtowing to anybody, “ those cross dressers you listen to couldn’t carry Sinatra’s shoes”
Turns out those cross dressers I listened to couldn’t carry Sinatra’s shoes.

Date: January 8, 2020 09:34

Meise

grinning smiley

But it always starts there. It was the same with me. Eventually, we get wiser... smoking smiley

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 8, 2020 14:04

nick

It's not as though he were just miraculously cured of deafness. The Stones have been in the air around him his entire life, whether he realizes it or not, through parental exposure. So I wouldn't expect much as far as a new conversion experience.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 8, 2020 14:44

we took our son to his first Stones show on the BTB tour when he was twelve.
He's been just as big a fan as me ever since.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: January 8, 2020 15:46

DandelionPowderman
Meise

grinning smiley

But it always starts there. It was the same with me. Eventually, we get wiser... smoking smiley

And me winking smiley . Beatles at 6, Stones at 9, both via my dad's record collection. My intro to the Stones was the Rolled Gold compilation in 1976. I looked at the cover and asked my dad when they split up and he said "they're still going". This somehow appealed to me a lot more and sparked my curiosity.

I still like the Beatles a lot and have seen Macca live 8 times but I'm a bigger Stones fan (38 times!). I've always felt they've got a bit more edge and bite to them. thumbs up

For me the greatest thing about the 2 bands' rivalry was that it existed and we had 2 great bands to enjoy. And we've still got one of them grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 8, 2020 15:52

yup...15

She's So Cold on the am radio, electrified me. Bought the single, then ER album, next Some Girls, then Hot Rocks and I was hooked.

Date: January 8, 2020 15:56

grzegorz67
DandelionPowderman
Meise

grinning smiley

And me winking smiley . Beatles at 6, Stones at 9, both via my dad's record collection. My intro to the Stones was the Rolled Gold compilation in 1976. I looked at the cover and asked my dad when they split up and he said "they're still going". This somehow appealed to me a lot more and sparked my curiosity.

I still like the Beatles a lot and have seen Macca live 8 times but I'm a bigger Stones fan (38 times!). I've always felt they've got a bit more edge and bite to them. thumbs up

For me the greatest thing about the 2 bands' rivalry was that it existed and we had 2 great bands to enjoy. And we've still got one of them grinning smiley

It took a little longer for me. Beatles at 6, Stones at 10. Probably that extra year I was spinning A Hard Days Night endlessly (still my fave Beatles-album) smiling smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 8, 2020 17:08

nick

Passively hearing and actively listening are different things. smiling smiley

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: January 8, 2020 18:22

I heard about The Rolling Stones at age 12 in 1963, started to get interested at 18 in 1969, and became a full fledged fan at 20 in 1971.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 8, 2020 18:34

I was actually VERY young when I first listened to the Stones. My dad became a huge fan in the mid-70's when he was 14, but I was very much into them when I was only 6 years old. I remember when FORTY LICKS came out and my dad would play it in the car. It's how I discovered all of their hits. The first Stones album I owned was FLOWERS when my dad bought it for me on CD for my birthday. I eventually sold all of my Stones CD's as my dad gave me all of his Stones vinyl, but I kept FLOWERS. That album means the whole world to me.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1994
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home