Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
GRRR and vinyl box limited editions
Date: January 7, 2020 10:56

Anyone any idea how many of the vinyl box set and 5cd versions of GRRR were released? similarly, how many of the 1971-2016 vinyl boxes were released? thanks

Re: GRRR and vinyl box limited editions
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 7, 2020 11:50

misterrespectable

how many of the 1971-2016 vinyl boxes were released?

Georgelicks could answer these questions probably best: [iorr.org] .

2016 Mono box set: "The set barely made the charts in some countries (it reached #130 in the UK selling 900 copies), so with sales so low I can't imagine more than 15-20k worldwide at best."

Stones-Album sales in general: [iorr.org] .

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 7, 2020 17:12

I never got a chance to pick up either due to the hefty price tags...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 8, 2020 01:25

VoodooLounge13
I never got a chance to pick up either due to the hefty price tags...

and while I will agree they are in general too expensive, I will note that the prices seem to change daily like the price of fresh fish at the open market, until they sell out of the initial batch. Sometimes you can get a very good deal on them (again, relatively speaking) before they sell out.

After they are OOP though, the price seems to skyrocket to anywhere from $1000-4000.

Not sure what is going on there, or if anything actually sells at those prices but hard to understand why that is.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 8, 2020 01:56

I bought the GRRR 5 cd Deluxe Box for around $45 a year or so after release on Amazon (might have been via the marketplace/other sellers).
Came with a decent hardcover book, some postcards, a poster, 7" vinyl (BBC sessions), bonus disc of early demos, and most importantly the box itself which has a giant image of Grrregory the gorilla. winking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 8, 2020 01:58

Hairball
I bought the GRRR 5 cd Deluxe Box for around $45 a year or so after release on Amazon (might have been via the marketplace/other sellers).
Came with a decent hardcover book, some postcards, a poster, 7" vinyl (BBC sessions), bonus disc of early demos, and most importantly the box itself which has a giant image of Grrregory the gorilla. winking smiley

I got that deal off the amazon.co.uk website. I shoulda bought a couple, that was a screaming deal.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: January 8, 2020 03:48

treaclefingers
Hairball

I got that deal off the amazon.co.uk website. I shoulda bought a couple, that was a screaming deal.

There were two major pricing mistakes by amazon (or it was a kind of promo action).
The 1st one was in 2012 with GRRR Superdeluxe at amazon de. It was priced at 30 Euros or something like that (the total with VAT and S&H was about 45 Euros).

I do not own this one anymore, never open it, made a present to a friend. If I remember correctly the number of the copy was 08xxx (eight thousand something).

The second mistake was with Sticky Fingers Superdeluxe at amazon co uk. They priced it at 9.95 GBP for about an hour or so. I got mine for 15.57 GBP shipped. Still wondering why I did not order two.

Afterwards amazon was a bit more careful with pricing for Superdeluxe editions.

Date: January 8, 2020 04:18

ironbelly
treaclefingers
Hairball

There were two major pricing mistakes by amazon (or it was a kind of promo action).
The 1st one was in 2012 with GRRR Superdeluxe at amazon de. It was priced at 30 Euros or something like that (the total with VAT and S&H was about 45 Euros).

I do not own this one anymore, never open it, made a present to a friend. If I remember correctly the number of the copy was 08xxx (eight thousand something).

The second mistake was with Sticky Fingers Superdeluxe at amazon co uk. They priced it at 9.95 GBP for about an hour or so. I got mine for 15.57 GBP shipped. Still wondering why I did not order two.

Just looked back through my orders on Amazon US dating back to 2012, and damn I have bought alot of stuff and spent alot of money over the years!!! eye popping smiley smiling smiley And then there's all the other sites....
This purchase was actually in Jan. 2015 and paid $46.30 + $3.99 shipping - so quite some time after initial release, and was bought from MovieMars-CDs via Amazon US- highly trustworthy as I've ordered many items from them. MM via Amazon
They also have their own website ( Movie Mars ), but I've only ordered via Amazon US. Anyhow, sometimes there's deals to be had, and a bit of patience can be rewarding. Haven't bought HONK yet in any format, and doubt I ever will, but if there's ever a massive discount to be had such as the above, might be hard to resist. BEST deal I ever had was the Brussels massive cd/vinyl box set for $150 via RollingStones.com originally priced at a whopping $450 or more.
It's a mighty fine and impressive solid box which even had it's own customized protective outer cardboard box....snazzy watch included!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-08 04:39 by Hairball.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 8, 2020 08:34

So, I seem to have missed this bit of history: since this GRRR set (which I never gave a second glance, having all the original material 10X over already) is on the ABKCO label, or affiliate, how is it they are issuing post 60s Stones music? This set is a retrospective of their entire career. Is this release some kind of cooperative effort between ABKCO and the Rolling Stones current publishing company?

If so, that's kind of weird, particularly in conjunction with the ongoing discussion about the ABKCO copyright dump that just happened.

Sorry if this discussion already happened; I am kind of new around here.

Thanks!
jb

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 8, 2020 12:01

Hairball
ironbelly
treaclefingers
Hairball

Just looked back through my orders on Amazon US dating back to 2012, and damn I have bought alot of stuff and spent alot of money over the years!!! eye popping smiley smiling smiley And then there's all the other sites....
This purchase was actually in Jan. 2015 and paid $46.30 + $3.99 shipping - so quite some time after initial release, and was bought from MovieMars-CDs via Amazon US- highly trustworthy as I've ordered many items from them. MM via Amazon
They also have their own website ( Movie Mars ), but I've only ordered via Amazon US. Anyhow, sometimes there's deals to be had, and a bit of patience can be rewarding. Haven't bought HONK yet in any format, and doubt I ever will, but if there's ever a massive discount to be had such as the above, might be hard to resist. BEST deal I ever had was the Brussels massive cd/vinyl box set for $150 via RollingStones.com originally priced at a whopping $450 or more.
It's a mighty fine and impressive solid box which even had it's own customized protective outer cardboard box....snazzy watch included!

Just did a search on MM via Amazon and the cheapest I could find was $324.

plexi

Date: January 8, 2020 15:55

jbwelda

So, I seem to have missed this bit of history: since this GRRR set (which I never gave a second glance, having all the original material 10X over already) is on the ABKCO label, or affiliate, how is it they are issuing post 60s Stones music? This set is a retrospective of their entire career. Is this release some kind of cooperative effort between ABKCO and the Rolling Stones current publishing company?

Before GRRR! there was already a joint cooperative venture between The Rolling Stones, ABKCO and Universal Music for the 2002 Compilation 'Forty Licks' - [iorr.org] , [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Date: January 8, 2020 19:40

timbernardis
Just did a search on MM via Amazon and the cheapest I could find was $324.

plexi

If you're referring to GRRR Deluxe Box, that special massive $46.30 discount price ship sailed a long time ago on MM via Amazon.
However, it is available for much cheaper than $324 on other Amazon sellers pages as well as here on Ebay for $100- GRRR

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: January 8, 2020 19:46

Wasn’t GRRR critisized heavily when it came out: edited songs, lousy book and the early vinyl ripped from bootlegs? Is it suddenly worth investing?

Date: January 8, 2020 19:54

padre69
Wasn’t GRRR critisized heavily when it came out: edited songs, lousy book and the early vinyl ripped from bootlegs? Is it suddenly worth investing?

Short answer - probably not.

The fact you can find it now for as low as $100 brand new (probably even lower if you search further) shows that it's basically worthless.
But at a low $46.00 back in 2015 it was hard to resist.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: January 8, 2020 19:54

It's value musically has dropped considerably. The 4 track EP is available in the On Air BBC 2 CD version. Doom and Gloom & One More Shot appear on HONK. Only the IBC demo CD is unique to this box.

Date: January 8, 2020 20:25

nick

It's value musically has dropped considerably. The 4 track EP is available in the On Air BBC 2 CD version. Doom and Gloom & One More Shot appear on HONK. Only the IBC demo CD is unique to this box.

The IBC-Demos are also available on [www.Qobuz.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-08 21:05 by Irix.

Date: January 9, 2020 00:18

Only there? Odd. I kept the CD and sold the rest of the box.

Date: January 9, 2020 00:52

Irix
nick

Doxy records? Really? I do not think this one is 100% official. Looks like grey market.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 9, 2020 01:43

Doxy Records !!!! …..

So that's how the lad makes a dollar ….

ROCKMAN

Date: January 9, 2020 11:25

ironbelly
Irix

Doxy records? Really? I do not think this one is 100% official. Looks like grey market.

The IBC-Demos were already available in 2014/15 on Qobuz under the Label 'Lilith Records' - [iorr.org] , [Web.Archive.org] .

These Labels sounding to me like the various Public-Domain-Labels (using expired Copyright) - such as Coda Publishing Ltd., London Calling and so on.

Date: January 9, 2020 21:00

isn't that ibc stuff the same as was released way long ago on various boot sources such as Bright Lights Big City? Or was there more to them than was put out on that record?

jb

Date: January 9, 2020 22:08

jbwelda
isn't that ibc stuff the same as was released way long ago on various boot sources such as Bright Lights Big City? Or was there more to them than was put out on that record?

jb
Tracks are the same.
Diddley Daddy
Road Runner
Bright Lights, Big City
Honey What's Wrong
I Want to Be Loved

Transfer is different. Apparently, they used another acetate, not the one that was used before by TSP. I do not remember details. There was discussion either here on at SH music forum in 2012.

Date: January 10, 2020 07:55

I recall one of the two first songs, probably diddley daddy, had a bit of a slowdown like the turntable was dragging on the transfer to acetate on the boots I had. Did this new transfer happen to cure that?

I always liked this material and thought it made them sound like a pretty mature band. Especially Bright lights, big city.

Thanks for the info!

jb

Date: January 10, 2020 19:09

jbwelda
I recall one of the two first songs, probably diddley daddy, had a bit of a slowdown like the turntable was dragging on the transfer to acetate on the boots I had. Did this new transfer happen to cure that?

I always liked this material and thought it made them sound like a pretty mature band. Especially Bright lights, big city.

Thanks for the info!

jb
They were trying to improve those records but with little to no success comparing with old boots. Tape drag in the beginning of Diddley Daddy is there but sounds a bit different. They positively made something to it but did not remove completely. Also, all tracks have well known issues with glitches and stereo artifacts here and there. The whole thing was also a bit more compressed comparing to boots.

Bright Lights is completely new transfer from acetate of unknown origin. It sounds inferior to TSP boot with a lot of surface noise. It does not have multiple sound issues after 0:35, like the boot, but sounds like a @#$%^ - thin and mid-range only. Very strange move, to be honest.

Overall the result is mixed. Surely, they were working on those tracks but the result...

Date: January 10, 2020 19:49

Since someone brought up Brussels Affair maybe this would be the appropriate place to ask: is it common knowledge that the Japanese release of vault Marquee Club performance includes a two cd version of Brussels Affair. I just now noticed that on ebay; these are going for over a hundred bucks but may be worth it for me to grab one even though I already bought the Marquee stuff on vinyl when it first appeared. I didn't know Brussels Affair was officially released in a reasonably priced package, only knew of the ultra expensive versions with the watch and print etc.

Is this a new release or has it been out in japan for awhile and just escaped my notice?

jb

Date: January 10, 2020 20:37

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: January 10, 2020 20:42

jbwelda
Since someone brought up Brussels Affair maybe this would be the appropriate place to ask: is it common knowledge that the Japanese release of vault Marquee Club performance includes a two cd version of Brussels Affair. I just now noticed that on ebay; these are going for over a hundred bucks but may be worth it for me to grab one even though I already bought the Marquee stuff on vinyl when it first appeared. I didn't know Brussels Affair was officially released in a reasonably priced package, only knew of the ultra expensive versions with the watch and print etc.

Is this a new release or has it been out in japan for awhile and just escaped my notice?

jb

It's been out for a while, done by Ward Records (discogs says it was released in June 2015).
I picked one up a couple of years ago from Ward.

Date: January 10, 2020 20:46

thank you kindly...amazing what gets put out when I am not looking.

by the by, who is "ward records"? Japanese company that got the license to print money, oops, I mean release stones vault stuff?

jb

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: January 10, 2020 20:49

jbwelda
thank you kindly...amazing what gets put out when I am not looking.

by the by, who is "ward records"? Japanese company that got the license to print money, oops, I mean release stones vault stuff?

jb

Yes, Japanese label. They do all the great Rolling Stones releases over there.

Date: January 10, 2020 20:56

jbwelda

jb
Yes. Summer 2012. I have a cheapest box dvd+cd+2cd. Try Amazon.co.jp sometimes they have sale on that one. You can get it below $100 ((with a bit of luck)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1580
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home