Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Tom Keylock and Brian Jones' belongings
Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: January 5, 2020 13:12

History has that Tom Keylock destroyed Brian Jones' belonging soon after Jones died. History has that Tom Keylock was later sacked for having tried to sell the original reels Brian Jones used to record local music in Morocco to producers.
True or not, can anybody here tell if more Jones' belonging ever reached the market? His shirts, jackets, instruments? Anything from his home? Thanks for caring, Luca

Re: Tom Keylock and Brian Jones' belongings
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 5, 2020 14:48

1963luca0
History has that Tom Keylock destroyed Brian Jones' belonging soon after Jones died. History has that Tom Keylock was later sacked for having tried to sell the original reels Brian Jones used to record local music in Morocco to producers.
True or not, can anybody here tell if more Jones' belonging ever reached the market? His shirts, jackets, instruments? Anything from his home? Thanks for caring, Luca

Rather morbid topic, don't you think?

plexi

Date: January 5, 2020 15:12

I’m not willing to accuse anyone. The history of the tapes is an old one and Keylock himself told about them . I’m not blaming him or anybody else. Simply, I’ve seen something personal of Brian exposed at a Hard Rock Cafe, for instance, and this makes me curious about the many stories circulating. Nothing else, nothing more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-05 15:14 by 1963luca0.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 5, 2020 15:20

1963luca0

When people say 'history has it' you already know there isn't any truth in it. All Brian's belongings went to his family, who has since the early 90's been selling a lot of stuff. Lots of Brian's clothing went with Suki Potier, and is being sold since a couple of years by her family (sister or daughter Sarah).

Mathijs

Date: January 5, 2020 15:30

Thanks, Mathjs

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 5, 2020 20:29

You do wonder where the bonfire story came about. Why invent it if not true? To put off people who might come looking for stuff? Bizarre.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 5, 2020 23:01

Yes, I had believed the bonfire story as well. Most accounts of that night and
Keylock’s actions include the bonfire. So I just never questioned if the bonfire
happened or not.

I have questioned the possible motives Tom Keylock had in burning Brian’s
possessions. Also that it would appear quite suspicious to anyone investigating
Brian’s death.

In addition, for Keylock to actually round up all Brian’s possessions, by himself, and bring them into the yard and burn that very night seems hard to
imagine. Undoubtedly there was a investigation occurring well into the night
regarding Brian’s Death. A large fire in the middle of the night, just after Brian’s death, would have certainly drawn some attention.

So maybe the bonfire story is just fiction.

Date: January 5, 2020 23:38

On July 5th Tom Keylock was in Hyde Park. Possibly, he could have taken care of Jones' carpets, instruments, jewelry and other belongings on July 4th or 6/7th, while organizing the funeral. On July 9th he put Anna Wholin on a plane to Stockholm

Date: January 6, 2020 09:11

swimtothemoon
Yes, I had believed the bonfire story as well. Most accounts of that night and
Keylock’s actions include the bonfire. So I just never questioned if the bonfire
happened or not.

I have questioned the possible motives Tom Keylock had in burning Brian’s
possessions. Also that it would appear quite suspicious to anyone investigating
Brian’s death.

In addition, for Keylock to actually round up all Brian’s possessions, by himself, and bring them into the yard and burn that very night seems hard to
imagine. Undoubtedly there was a investigation occurring well into the night
regarding Brian’s Death. A large fire in the middle of the night, just after Brian’s death, would have certainly drawn some attention.

So maybe the bonfire story is just fiction.

Of course there could have been a bonfire, it was a building site after all. But there wasn't a bonfire with Jones's belongings.

Mathijs

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 6, 2020 12:15

I don't believe it. Keylock was a streetwise, canny operator who knew his mealticket was gone after Brian died. He would have known the value in collector's circles of Brian's belongings.

I met him about 20 years ago and asked him straight up about the truth of what happened the night Brian died. And without blinking an eyelid he said "How much have you got to offer".

Date: January 6, 2020 12:27

Silver Dagger
He would have known the value in collector's circles of Brian's belongings.

There wasn't any collector's circle in 1969 to speak of.

Mathijs

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: January 6, 2020 14:13

It's a ridiculous notion from Mathijs that Brian's parents sold his belongings. I am in the know, that's why I know. They gave away stuff. For instance Brian's parents gave his famous snake skin boots to young Australian fan. they turned up on the market later on. And Brian's sister Barbara donated his velvet curtains to a local theatre group. Also Mary Hallet got a lot of stuff, like Brian's moroccan table and lovely room screens. The majority of Brian's belongings were taken away by builder Maurice Tucker and sold. when I visited some of the builder's remaining relatives in Chichester they showed me his famous velvet trousers. Also Linda
Lawrence and Linda Keith are still selling stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-06 14:14 by paulspendel.

Date: January 6, 2020 14:17

by thy way: in 2004 Keylock sold the watch Brian got from Alexis with inscription.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 6, 2020 14:24

Mathijs
Silver Dagger
He would have known the value in collector's circles of Brian's belongings.

There wasn't any collector's circle in 1969 to speak of.

Mathijs

There would have been collectors though. Hard Rock Cafe owners Isaac Tigrett and Peter Morton started collecting around this time for the launch of the first Hard Rock in London in 71.

Date: January 6, 2020 15:14

paulspendel
It's a ridiculous notion from Mathijs that Brian's parents sold his belongings. I am in the know, that's why I know. They gave away stuff. For instance Brian's parents gave his famous snake skin boots to young Australian fan. they turned up on the market later on. And Brian's sister Barbara donated his velvet curtains to a local theatre group. Also Mary Hallet got a lot of stuff, like Brian's moroccan table and lovely room screens. The majority of Brian's belongings were taken away by builder Maurice Tucker and sold. when I visited some of the builder's remaining relatives in Chichester they showed me his famous velvet trousers. Also Linda
Lawrence and Linda Keith are still selling stuff.

The family did sell several of Jones's instruments in the 1990's, and a lot of personal belongings in the 2000's.

Mathijs

Date: January 6, 2020 15:29

Please show me the proof. Buyers? Auctions? Catalogues? I am very interested to learn. gimme the goods smiling smiley

Date: January 6, 2020 15:33

paulspendel
Please show me the proof. Buyers? Auctions? Catalogues? I am very interested to learn. gimme the goods smiling smiley

I thought you said you are in the know?

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 6, 2020 15:35

Mathijs
paulspendel

I thought you said you are in the know?

Mathijs

I'm not, so gimme the goods. grinning smiley spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: January 6, 2020 16:19

Come on Mathijs, don't change the discussion. I am just curious to learn how you think to know about Brian's family selling stuff. Gimme the goods! gimme the goods!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 6, 2020 16:29

I'd rather we found the comment from Godard or Miller regarding Ruby Tuesday being played/recorded in 1968. smoking smiley

Date: January 6, 2020 16:53

Maybe James Karnbach knows?

Date: January 6, 2020 17:23

Brian's musical inheritance is all that matters to me.
Why dig up a buried corps? confused smiley

Date: January 6, 2020 18:51

I am not talking about digging up his corps. It's about trying to reconstruct what happened to his belongings.

Date: January 6, 2020 19:17

Have fun. smoking smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 7, 2020 20:35

What about the reels with "Chow Time" and "Has Anybody Seen My Baby?" Did they survive?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 7, 2020 21:24

paulspendel
I am not talking about digging up his corps. It's about trying to reconstruct what happened to his belongings.

Now we are talking. I say have at it. The Stones don't bother with holograms. Chow time!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-07 21:30 by Nikkei.

Date: January 8, 2020 11:30

I believe the reels of these two songs ended up with Les Perrin's wife Janie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-08 11:30 by paulspendel.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 8, 2020 21:43

Thank you as always, Paul. Not expecting "lost classics" or anything, but they would certainly be of historical interest.

Date: January 8, 2020 22:47

Ok, Jones’ belongings appeared here and and there on selected markets like auctions and direct sales. What if the bonefire was to destroy Wohlin’s belongings? She stated that when she was back at the farm hers things had already disappeared. The bonefire seems to be confirmed by more than one source...

Date: January 8, 2020 23:58

When I got the Joan Fitzsimons files released I was surprised to learn the builders kept going to Cotchford farm til the end of July 1969. Not Keylock was the main looter but Morris Tucker was, a violent thug from Eastergate and a protected police informant (liaison officer: Don Rambridge, who was involved in the Redlands raid). Mo sold the stuff and divided the money between Keylock, Thorogood and Betsworth. Later on in life he owned a caravan park in Exeter and died in 2001, the day after he sold the caravan park and became a millionaire.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-08 23:59 by paulspendel.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home