Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Allman Brothers Band 50th Anniversary All-Star Concert
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 3, 2020 23:14

Re: OT: Allman Brothers Band 50th Anniversary All-Star Concert
Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: January 4, 2020 00:14

Nice!!

Thanks, BBJ!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 4, 2020 00:52

How sad. I was in Atlanta when Duane passed, then Berry. Gregg's voice is the thing that kept it original. Only Jaimoe is not enough. Dickie won't even cooperate? Hell, there's no one left to argue with.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 4, 2020 00:57

24FPS
How sad. I was in Atlanta when Duane passed, then Berry. Gregg's voice is the thing that kept it original. Only Jaimoe is not enough. Dickie won't even cooperate? Hell, there's no one left to argue with.

I don't even know if Dickey can play anymore. Dude is frail as @#$%&, understandably.

Love the Allmans, but pretty amazing a tribute to them can sell out the Garden. Best of luck but yeah, unfortunately the people that made it great are dead so its a thing of the past. It happens. I get why they're doing the Garden (owned by the same people as) although I'd say it should be at the Beacon which was their home.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: January 4, 2020 01:43

I saw Dickie a year and a half ago in Staten Island. He played well, possibly because the show was recorded for a Blu-ray release (which I bought and enjoy). His son Duane played guitar and Devon Allman sat in for Midnight Rider.

I was also at the Allman's first show at the Fillmore and their last show at the Beacon. Don't think I'll be going to this show though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-04 01:44 by bleedingman.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: January 4, 2020 02:24

Love the Allman Brothers! I will definetly consider going. Always wondered what happened to the live recording from the tv show in 1970. The wiping post version from that show is beyond incredible! Hope that it finally get a proper release som day...

Date: January 4, 2020 02:25

nice

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 4, 2020 03:41

This will be a fantastic celebration! thumbs up

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 4, 2020 04:24

I saw the Allman Brothers Band about 40 times between 1992 and 2014 at various places between Virginia and the Beacon. I don't need to see this. I'd rather reach for a download of an actual ABB show from munckmusic.com.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: January 4, 2020 18:36

will Clapton make it

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: January 5, 2020 18:19

This has all the earmarks of a Livenation contrived summer amphitheater tour. Everybody appears to be available in August.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 5, 2020 19:32

ab
I saw the Allman Brothers Band about 40 times between 1992 and 2014 at various places between Virginia and the Beacon. I don't need to see this. I'd rather reach for a download of an actual ABB show from munckmusic.com.

Nothing was better than the Betts, Waynes, Woody version of the 90's.This was the best version of the ABB.

Date: January 5, 2020 21:11

More Hot Rocks
ab

Nothing was better than the Betts, Waynes, Woody version of the 90's.This was the best version of the ABB.

Even better than the original version of the band when Duane and Berry Oakley were still alive? confused smiley
If so, I find that impossible to believe.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 6, 2020 02:09

I saw them once, in 1976. The Marshall Tucker Band opened and blew them off the stage.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 6, 2020 03:05

rbk
This has all the earmarks of a Livenation contrived summer amphitheater tour. Everybody appears to be available in August.

Well unless Haynes and Trucks are lying this is billed as a one off concert so I guess we will see how sincere they are. Then again if it sells out maybe they do more. In any case if they do decide to do a limited shed tour this coming summer and come up Boston way count me in.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-06 03:26 by oldschool.

Date: January 6, 2020 03:22

More Hot Rocks
ab

Been a fan of the band since the beginning and the version you mentioned is probably my least favorite version of the band. By that point in the mid to late 90's Betts was a drunken mess, missing shows,fighting with other band members including Woody who he wanted kicked out of the band. At that point IMHO it became the Dickey Betts Band and lost the earthy mojo of the Duane era band.

Nothing can ever top the original for me but the Haynes/ Trucks lineup brought back that Duane era feel and mojo for me and it felt like a band of equals again.

YMMV and that is just another fans opinion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-06 03:28 by oldschool.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 6, 2020 03:33

It looks like a Temptations reunion from the 1990's.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: January 6, 2020 18:30

oldschool
rbk

Well unless Haynes and Trucks are lying this is billed as a one off concert so I guess we will see how sincere they are. Then again if it sells out maybe they do more. In any case if they do decide to do a limited shed tour this coming summer and come up Boston way count me in.

They aren't "lying" per se, it's promotion. They say that so people come to the Garden, then they say "We had so much fun we thought we should take it on the road to honor the legacy" blah blah. A remarkably similar lineup played at the Peach Festival in Scranton in 2017.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 6, 2020 18:36

Betts can't play (very well) any more. And neither can Jaimoe. I've seen them both within the past year (Jaimoe 3 times). Age and all those crazy years finally caught up to them. Some of the greatest in the day,

I will love this band forever.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 6, 2020 18:40

Duane Betts and Berry Oakley, Jr. (as well as Lamar Williams, Jr.) are fantastic musicians.

Unfortunately, Devon Allman didn't inherit Gregg's voice. Best white blues singer?

Even more unfortunately, neither did I (I'm not related, just loved Gregg's voice).

Date: January 6, 2020 18:41

Hairball
More Hot Rocks
ab

Even better than the original version of the band when Duane and Berry Oakley were still alive? confused smiley

Listen to the 2 live cds First set and 2nd set live from that era. They were a machine onstage during the early 90's Yes they were that good

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 6, 2020 19:32

The original lineup was the greatest electric band the United States ever produced. Bill Graham called that lineup the finest music he ever heard. The early 90s band was a worthy successor, as was the final lineup.

The live recordings of the Brothers and Sisters lineup (the Chuck lineup) don't hold up as well.

Date: January 6, 2020 19:53

Hairball
More Hot Rocks
ab

It is impossible to believe because it is not true. Nothing tops the Duane Era Brothers.

Date: January 6, 2020 20:00

oldschool
Hairball
More Hot Rocks
ab

It is impossible to believe because it is not true. Nothing tops the Duane Era Brothers.

Indeed - it was a rhetorical question.
The part I find impossible to believe is that someone would actually think that.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: January 6, 2020 20:06

Duane Brothers best and then Dan Toler and Wayne just my opinion.

Date: January 6, 2020 20:36

oldschool
Hairball
More Hot Rocks
ab

Just go listen. Not even close..Betts Waynes, Allen win by a mile.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 6, 2020 21:55

Nothing tops the original band. No one who followed could play slide like Duane Allman. Plus Duane was always expanding the sound of the band. They got locked into that Southern 'Freedom Rock' crap because of 'Rammbling Man', their only radio friendly hit after Duane. Duane was 24 when he died. Let that sink in. That's how old Jimi was when he played Monterey. Duane had plenty of musical heights left to take them. (Never mind a solo career). I saw the original Allman Brothers. I walked right up to the front row and watched Duane sting it with that Coricidin bottle on his finger. Maybe the 90s band was competent. So are the modern day Stones. Which would you rather have? Golden Era Stones, or 'musically competent' Stones?

Date: January 7, 2020 00:10

More Hot Rocks
oldschool
Hairball
More Hot Rocks
ab

Just go listen. Not even close..Betts Waynes, Allen win by a mile.

We will have to agree to disagree mate as I have listened to the official live releases and bootlegs for every incarnation of the band and while I can enjoy every concert no version of the band touches the Duane era band. The 90's Betts versions were ok but it was too much Betts as he dominated the others.

Personally, the Haynes/Trucks version of ABB were the next best thing to the Duane ERA band IMHO. but YMMV as we obviously have different tastes when it come to music.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 7, 2020 20:20

Scored a pair and a single in section E during presale. Single available for cost if anyone wants it.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: January 7, 2020 20:49

I'll wait for the tour......

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home