Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 20
Re: Altamont release for 24 hours
Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: January 2, 2020 18:34

Ok - I meant there was no new soundboard recordings.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: January 2, 2020 18:35

Date: January 2, 2020 19:00

Captain Teague
JumpingKentFlash
It was part of the RS69TRAX yes. I think there was all of it. I saw The Sun Is Shining and Brown Sugar, and a slew of other tracks from Altamont. It sounded like the well known bootleg of that show. I could be mistaking though.

I have not heard any of the RS69TRAX 'release' but surely ABKCO could not release an audience recording as part of a copyright extension?

Why not? And some Altamont tunes are soundboard.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: January 2, 2020 20:24

Thanks for the link. I agree, if these are from ABKCO, why would they share audience recordings? I also think the MR, SCB and Ruby Tuesday are from tour rehearsals in the Fall of 1969. You can tell they are trying to figure out the groove for Rambler and Stray Cat as to what it would become, but clearly after Hyde Park.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 4, 2020 21:00

bigmac7895
I also think the MR, SCB and Ruby Tuesday are from tour rehearsals in the Fall of 1969. You can tell they are trying to figure out the groove for Rambler and Stray Cat as to what it would become, but clearly after Hyde Park.

They feature Nicky playing piano. He wasn't with them in USA in 1969.

Re: New ABKCO copyright releases
Posted by: axl79 ()
Date: January 4, 2020 21:50

Here comes a re-upload of the first part.

I have re-tagged the files and removed some remaining "bleeps".

Some notes (tnx to thkbeercan and Gazza for the summary)

Ruby Tuesday-a complete, an early attempt at the song with Brian Jones on piano. (He also played piano, and recorder, in the final version.) (1966)
Love In Vain -one of the earliest attempts at the song, similar to the Robert Johnson arrangement (1969)
Sister Morphine-the same early version found on many bootlegs, but this is the complete take, 90 seconds longer (1969)
YCAGWYW-22 minutes of the London Bach Choir working on their vocals...lots of giggling and no complete performance of the song...interesting to listen to...once. (1969)
Wild Horses-the acoustic Muscle Shoals take from December 1969 but with strings added sometime in 1970.

Gimme Shelter that ABKCO made available isn't from 1969 as claimed but is (bizarrely) a 1978 tour rehearsal

[we.tl]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-04 21:55 by axl79.

Date: January 4, 2020 21:54

Not Brian on piano.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: January 4, 2020 22:05

axl79
Link to some more tracks (upon JMARKOs request)

Sympathy, Stray Cat, Midnight Rambler, Honky Tonk Women (country rock), and Let It Bleed.

[we.tl]

Thanks for your time and work. Appreciated by many.

J

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: January 4, 2020 22:08

thkbeercan

1968: SFTD-from the Rock and Roll Circus, one of the early takes, not used in the video.

Instrumentally it always sounded this way to my ears from first listen.

The intercom talk back at the end makes me curious though. Not so much Jagger's comment, but the brief response that can be heard.

J

Date: January 4, 2020 22:24

axl79

Ruby Tuesday-a complete, an early attempt at the song with Brian Jones on piano. (He also played piano, and recorder, in the final version.) (1966)
Love In Vain -one of the earliest attempts at the song, similar to the Robert Johnson arrangement (1969)
Sister Morphine-the same early version found on many bootlegs, but this is the complete take, 90 seconds longer (1969)
YCAGWYW-22 minutes of the London Bach Choir working on their vocals...lots of giggling and no complete performance of the song...interesting to listen to...once. (1969)
Wild Horses-the acoustic Muscle Shoals take from December 1969 but with strings added sometime in 1970.

Gimme Shelter that ABKCO made available isn't from 1969 as claimed but is (bizarrely) a 1978 tour rehearsal

[we.tl]

RT is not from 1966 nor does it feature Brian playing piano.

Date: January 4, 2020 22:26

DandelionPowderman
Not Brian on piano.

Most definitely not. thumbs up

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 4, 2020 22:30

JMARKO
axl79

Sympathy, Stray Cat, Midnight Rambler, Honky Tonk Women (country rock), and Let It Bleed.

[we.tl]

Thanks for your time and work. Appreciated by many.

J

By many and me

Posted by: axl79 ()
Date: January 4, 2020 22:49

DandelionPowderman
Not Brian on piano.

According to Martin Elliot's Book
Ruby Tuesday was recorded between 16 nov - 6 Dec 1966 at Olympic Sound Studios.

"The piano accompaniment by Brian Jones and keyboards by Jack Nitzsche...."
"The song was written almost exclusively by Keith and Brian and is said to be about a well-known groupie.."

Felix Aeppli:

Ruby Tuesday Cut 7: Piano and recorder Brian Jones; cello Keith Richards and Bill Wyman; keyboards Jack Nitzsche;
credited to Jagger/Richards but probably a Keith Richards/Brian Jones composition; originally entitled Double Bass End; Cuts 7, 9: Recorded November 16, 1966

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-04 23:06 by axl79.

Date: January 4, 2020 22:57

axl79
DandelionPowderman
Not Brian on piano.

"The song was written almost exclusively by Keith and Brian and is said to be about a well-known groupie.."

Focus on this new recording. It is Nicky playing piano. Most definitely not Brian Jones.

Posted by: funkydrummer ()
Date: January 4, 2020 23:05

His Majesty
axl79

[we.tl]

OK - I am still waiting for evidence. Not just opinion. It is not clearly Nicky on piano - and as many have pointed out there is no reason for this not to be from 1966 - the absolute most probable scenario, because it doesn't fit any other likely scenario. "JLG says they did a version" - I am also a huge Godard fan and I have never read this. Ockham's razor here. Anyway, the sad thing is, the Stones archives will always sadly be in such disarray that this will be a likely source of contention for the foreseeable future. Except to me. It is an earlier take from 1966. It sounds fuller and in better fidelity because as Mick commented on BTB tracks - they overdubbed and bounced those so much they sounded like crap - one can compare to the backing tracks that emerged on Black Box that sound so much better even without the vocal ODs and compression. Anyway - I am gonna leave this one now,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-04 23:06 by funkydrummer.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 4, 2020 23:24

funkydrummer
His Majesty
axl79

[we.tl]

OK - I am still waiting for evidence. Not just opinion. It is not clearly Nicky on piano - and as many have pointed out there is no reason for this not to be from 1966 - the absolute most probable scenario, because it doesn't fit any other likely scenario. "JLG says they did a version" - I am also a huge Godard fan and I have never read this. Ockham's razor here. Anyway, the sad thing is, the Stones archives will always sadly be in such disarray that this will be a likely source of contention for the foreseeable future. Except to me. It is an earlier take from 1966. It sounds fuller and in better fidelity because as Mick commented on BTB tracks - they overdubbed and bounced those so much they sounded like crap - one can compare to the backing tracks that emerged on Black Box that sound so much better even without the vocal ODs and compression. Anyway - I am gonna leave this one now,

I just want to understand the people throwing out there that it's Nicky on piano. Why are people so bent on this not being from 1966? Within seconds they apparently know it's Nicky and from 1969.

Date: January 4, 2020 23:33

His Majesty
axl79
DandelionPowderman
Not Brian on piano.

Focus on this new recording. It is Nicky playing piano. Most definitely not Brian Jones.

To be fair the Martin Elliot book was mostly based on guesswork. Until there is a proper authorised Mark Lewissohn style Recording Sessions book - most of the Stones recording sessions info will just be guesswork and a lot of it totally wrong. That said, we don't actually know it is Nicky - I agree it sounds like him but it is not definitive. In fact it is not as embellished as his style anyway. In fact, as Nicky was on the periphery in 1966 - there is a possibility that he overdubbed on it. Yes, I know that he was supposed to have first joined for Satanic Majesties sessions, but he was spending time working with Brian around then too - who knows what transpired? I am not arguing for this BTW - just saying that it is possible to have an RCA session tape with an overdub just as likely as saying it comes from 1969.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-04 23:34 by funkydrummer.

Date: January 4, 2020 23:38

JordyLicks96
funkydrummer
His Majesty
axl79

[we.tl]

I just want to understand the people throwing out there that it's Nicky on piano. Why are people so bent on this not being from 1966? Within seconds they apparently know it's Nicky and from 1969.

JordyLicks - I think everything you have posted is on the money. I don't know either. I guess because "it sounds a bit like Nicky" - but I am not convinced either way. Until that time - a session from 66 is most probable. Definitely sounds like intonation and lyric choices from 66-67 era to me.

Date: January 4, 2020 23:48

funkydrummer
JordyLicks96
funkydrummer
His Majesty
axl79

[we.tl]

JordyLicks - I think everything you have posted is on the money. I don't know either. I guess because "it sounds a bit like Nicky" - but I am not convinced either way. Until that time - a session from 66 is most probable. Definitely sounds like intonation and lyric choices from 66-67 era to me.

I don't know if anyone missed this post but this was from "thkbeercan" where he literally explains he has an inside source about how this was material not used for "Crossfire Hurricane." I put in bold the most valuable info but you can read it all bc it explains and answers everything clearly:

"Much has been made, both in the press and in this forum, about the December 31 YouTube posting by ABKCO of dozens of Stones recordings, all listed as being from 1969. The purpose of this was to secure copyright in the EU and prevent these from falling into the public domain.

As most readers of this website will already know, this ABKCO posting was a bit of a hodge-podge/mish-mash of mostly bootleg audience recordings of some (but not all) of the Stones 1969 American tour concerts. These bootlegs have been available for decades and offer nothing new to the serious Stones collector. The real gems in this group of concert recordings, however, were soundboard/monitor mixes of the Madison Square Garden shows: the complete show from November 27, 3 opening numbers from the first show of November 28th and all but one track from the second performance on the same day. Although some of this material is available on the expanded version of "Get Yer Yas-Yas Out" and the deluxe video of "Gimme Shelter", these soundboards have never been bootlegged and are something close to the Holy Grail for Stones fans. Audience recordings of these show exist and have been around for years, but nothing like this in both quality and completeness.

Unreleased live recordings are always a treat. But the real payload in this brief burst of copyright control releases are the 2 dozen studio recordings in this YouTube posting.

Again, it's a bit of a hodge-podge. Half of the YouTube studio recordings have been readily available for years on bootlegs. The other half, however, have never seen the light of day.

Angry Stones fans have bemoaned the fact that ABKCO has been sitting on these tracks and questioned why these remarkable recordings were kept hidden in ABKCO vaults for so many years.

The answer is that these dozen or so studio tracks were never in the ABKCO vaults. These tracks come from the Rolling Stones own library of unreleased recordings. The Stones opened their own vaults to the producers of the film "Crossfire Hurricane" a number of years ago to select unreleased musical material for use in the film's soundtrack, especially instrumental tracks over which the Stones could be interviewed off screen. Some of the selections were used in the film. Others were not. These are the ones that were not.

This is why so many of the selections have no vocals-the vocal tracks for these versions were either never recorded or were removed for possible inclusion in the film. Also included in this group are some obviously different arrangements of familiar songs that DO have vocals ("Wild Horses", "Ruby Tuesday", "Love In Vain", "Sister Morphine" and SFTD). These, too, were on a short list for inclusion in "Crossfire Hurricane" but never made the cut.

The unreleased material that WAS used in the film, of course, is legally under copyright control by ABKCO and this is noted, naturally, in the film credits. And it's possible that these YouTube selections were also sent over to ABKCO before the final cut of the film was readied for released, just in case they were to have been used.

However, it's also possible that this isn't the case and that someone involved with the evaluation process made a copy of these rare recordings for themselves and somehow ABKCO got hold of it.

Here's a breakdown of those new, previously unavailable tracks:

1966: Ruby Tuesday-a complete, early attempt at the song with Brian Jones on piano. (He also played piano, and recorder, in the final version.) I cry everytime I hear this.

1968: SFTD-from the Rock and Roll Circus, one of the early takes, not used in the video.
Stray Cat Blues-instrumental from Beggar's Banquet sessions

1969: Midnight Rambler-instrumental, short but complete take.
Love In Vain-one of the earliest attempts at the song, similar to the Robert Johnson arrangement
Honky Tonk Women-early instrumental version, similar in style to County Honk, but a more rocking arrangement
Sister Morphine-the same early version found on many bootlegs, but this is the complete take, 90 seconds longer
Let It Bleed-early instrumental version
YCAGWYW-22 minutes of the London Bach Choir working on their vocals...lots of giggling and no complete performance of the song...interesting to listen to...once.

1970: Wild Horses-the acoustic Muscle Shoals take from December 1969 but with strings added sometime in 1970.

Among this group of non-concert recordings is a 1978 version of Gimme Shelter from that year's tour rehearsals, widely bootlegged. Why has ABKCO included this, calling it an early 1969 version? Why are recordings form 1966, 1968 and 1970 identified as being from 1969? How did ABKCO actually obtain these recordings?

These are questions for lawyers to debate. It's none of my business, nor do I care.

I will not comment further on my above statements nor answer questions about how I came into this knowledge-I don't want to get anyone in trouble."

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 4, 2020 23:57

In French
News magazine Le Point

[www.lepoint.fr]

Les fans n'auront pu en profiter que quelques heures. Le 31 décembre 2019, un mystérieux compte YouTube a mis en ligne des morceaux inédits des Rolling Stones, avant de les retirer le lendemain au petit matin, détaille Variety. Il s'agirait en réalité d'une tactique pour prolonger les droits d'auteurs sur ces enregistrements datant de 1969.

Lire aussi 3 juillet 1969. Le jour où le fondateur des Rolling Stones, Brian Jones, se noie dans sa piscine

Peu de temps avant le basculement vers 2020, le dénommé 69RSTRAX a posté une collection de 75 titres jamais sortis incluant des performances live et des enregistrements en studio. Difficile de savoir de quoi il en relevait, aucun commentaire ni description n'ont été ajoutés avec les vidéos. Quelques heures plus tard, le titulaire du compte passait tous les morceaux en privé. 69RSTRAX n'a rejoint YouTube que le 29 décembre. Il fournit néanmoins une adresse e-mail qui redirige vers la maison de disques ABKCO Records, qui détient une partie des droits des premiers enregistrements des Rolling Stones.

Ne pas tomber dans le domaine public
Mais ce qui ressemblait au premier abord à un cadeau pour les fans du mythique groupe britannique s'apparente plus à une démarche pour protéger les droits d'auteur. En effet, le magazine Variety relève que la directive européenne sur le copyright permet une protection d'une durée de 50 ans à partir de l'enregistrement d'un morceau. Ce délai peut être étendu de vingt années si l'enregistrement sort officiellement dans les bacs.

À la fin de l'année 2019, ABKCO aurait donc vu les morceaux datant de 1969 tomber dans le domaine public et ne pourrait ainsi pas en exploiter les droits si jamais elle était amenée à les sortir sur le marché. En 2013, une compilation des Beatles avec des morceaux inédits enregistrés en 1963 a été mise en ligne exclusivement sur iTunes afin de reporter de vingt années le passage dans le domaine public. Un cadeau aux fans déguisé. La même année, Bob Dylan n'était pas passé par quatre chemins pour user de la même stratégie. Il avait sorti une compilation littéralement intitulée The Copyright Extension Collection, Volume 1.

CULTUREMUSIQUE

Date: January 4, 2020 23:57

1969 is the starting point. No one has yet proven it isn't from 1969.

I have musically been studying Brian for about 30 years. It is absolutely not him playing piano on this RT.

The piano has various signatures that Nicky often played. Similar with Charlie in relation to 1968/69.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 5, 2020 00:15

His Majesty

ABKCO have tried to sell us a 1969 "shelter" that was recorded 9 years later... It took the most perspicacious IORR members (not me btw...) grinning smiley about 10 minutes to find the correct attribution for this track.
If Jody Klein needs someone to put the tape vault in order, he should hire someone here.

And even our beloved band has sold us the 1975-07-11 vid as being shot on the 12th.
So...

Date: January 5, 2020 00:21

dcba
His Majesty

ABKCO have tried to sell us a 1969 "shelter" that was recorded 9 years later... It took the most perspicacious IORR members (not me btw...) grinning smiley about 10 minutes to find the correct attribution for this track.

Yes, but I am talking about this new Ruby Tuesday. smiling smiley

Date: January 5, 2020 00:54

His Majesty
dcba
His Majesty

Yes, but I am talking about this new Ruby Tuesday. smiling smiley

I guess it'll just be an agree to disagree on the year of this track. One thing is for sure, it's an absolutely beautiful version. smileys with beer

Date: January 5, 2020 01:03

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 5, 2020 06:00

His Majesty

I have musically been studying Brian for about 30 years. It is absolutely not him playing piano on this RT.

The piano has various signatures that Nicky often played. Similar with Charlie in relation to 1968/69.

That's being dogmatic, but I guess it can happen if you study the same thing over and over for 30 years. When you hear The Who's "Lets See Action" for the first time, that would be an instance where you can tell it's Nicky in a split second. How about you focus on the drums and Micks pronunciation instead.

Posted by: soulrob ()
Date: January 5, 2020 07:46

Does anyone have a link for the 1966, 1967 or 1968 copyright dumps?

Posted by: keithpinkmoon ()
Date: January 5, 2020 11:04

axl79

[we.tl]

axl79
axl79

[we.tl]

Many Thanks for your great remastered works, axl79 !!!! smileys with beer

Could you please do the same for the other studio tracks left?

Best Regards smiling smiley

Date: January 5, 2020 11:08

Nikkei
His Majesty

That's being dogmatic, but I guess it can happen if you study the same thing over and over for 30 years. When you hear The Who's "Lets See Action" for the first time, that would be an instance where you can tell it's Nicky in a split second. How about you focus on the drums and Micks pronunciation instead.

The Stones (or any other band) couldn't mic their drums that way in 1966, with a stereo panning and that full sound. And listen to the drum rolls, and compare them with Charlie's playing on the studio track. Then put on BB and/or LIB.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 5, 2020 11:53

JordyLicks96
Why has ABKCO included this, calling it an early 1969 version? Why are recordings form 1966, 1968 and 1970 identified as being from 1969?

One possibility : if ABKCO admit some of these tracks are not from 69 but 68 or 66 don't they logically lose the right to extend copyright protection on them?

Said differently the BB material should have been put on YT in 2018 max to keep it under the legal copyright umbrella. It's 50 years not 51.

Rather than admitting they messed up and woke up too late, they found it more easy (and very Klein-like) way to tinker with the recording dates and put all the tracks online under the false "made in 69" attribution.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-05 14:36 by dcba.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home