Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 20
Re: New ABKCO copyright releases
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 2, 2020 17:26

LieB

there it is, the Woodstock '78 version of Gimme Shelter. The singing style, Ronnie on guitar and of course the electric piano with phaser on it (barely existed in '69) is from '78. It is a bit of a mystery why it showed up in the '69 copyright release from abkco.

One (goofy) possibility is Mick cheated ABKCO. Jagger in ABKCO office around 1980 handling the 1978 Woodstock tape with a Cheshire cat smile :

"Here mate we found a 1969 (hum!) studio tape in our vaults. Legally speaking it's yours so you can have it... Now... can I have this bunch of 1970 reels you have, in return... I swear there's nothing interesting on it! Just Mick Taylor noodling and warming up."
And that's how Jagger traded dodgy 1978 stuff for Sticky Fingers outtakes! grinning smiley
And that's how Honest Ron plays on a "1969" version of Gs! smoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-02 17:29 by dcba.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 2, 2020 17:37

Another questionable attribution is the 1969 origin of the "blusier" LIV.

I don't believe for one minute it's from the LIB sessions. To me it's so naked and close to the Robert Johnson version that it must stem from the 1968 BB sessions.
And guess what? zengraf mentions a "Love In Vain I" rec. 1968-05-23 during the BB sessions. My idea is they immediately realized they had sth with a strong potential and they reworked it at home till (almost one year later) they came up with the epanded and frankly sublime LIB arrangement.

It's unlikely to me that, over the course of a few sessions days, they recorded this raw naked version of LIV then they imagined this complete rework.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 2, 2020 18:06

Great stuff! Sister Morphine and Ruby Tuesday are the best tracks. Wild Horses w/ harmonica is great too!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 2, 2020 18:10

LieB
But the MSG shows are fantastic. I can really recommend listening to the 28th Late Show, which is the one that has the least songs on Ya-Ya's. It's rougher than Ya-Ya's for sure, but has some magic moments, like Sympathy, Stray Cat and Love In Vain.

Agree, I just listened to clips so far but it sounds amazing (especially You Got To Move!)! I am going to give the Olympic Sound tracks a few more listens before I list to the MSG shows.

Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: January 2, 2020 18:19

Oh boy! So sad to miss download this!smiling smiley What a late Christmas present!
Anybody lucky out there who downloade all?smiling smiley Wanna share it this the rest of us?smiling smiley
God bless

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 2, 2020 18:23

Kuntaman
Oh boy! So sad to miss download this!smiling smiley What a late Christmas present!
Anybody lucky out there who downloade all?smiling smiley Wanna share it this the rest of us?smiling smiley
God bless

Did you read through this thread?
[iorr.org]

Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: January 2, 2020 18:30

Yep, just read it!smiling smiley
Have downloaded all the live stuff! Still missing most of the studios!smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-02 18:33 by Kuntaman.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 2, 2020 19:48

S.T.P
eduardoacdc
Man I hate ABKCO.

Why? I mean they seem eager to release both live and studio work. It's the Stones that are holding back.

The Stones are holding back... post ABKCO published work, sure, which starts with what was recorded in France for EOMS and whatever from then, but they aren't holding back any ABKCO work.

ABKCO is.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 2, 2020 20:31

His Majesty
Indeed, but the use of acoustic guitars and Nicky playing makes me go more towards it being for filming of some kind.

It’s done especially for the one plus one movie.

And an official statement from my side: @#$%& the Rolling Stones. @#$%& them deep and hard. I will never ever spent one more cent to this godawfull money grabbing bunch of @#$%&. They give us a mono let it bleed, a Ya Ya’s out with one extra track, while they have all this in the can.

@#$%& you Rolling Stones. Sure go on tour this year to suck the last pennies wherever you can. But @#$%& you.

Mathijs

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: January 2, 2020 20:41

Mathijs- what do you mean they gave us a GYYYO with only 1 extra track? I have 5 on my version... but if a 50th Anniversary deluxe set comes out with all the live shows in pristine aoundboard quality, I will pay the dough.

Date: January 2, 2020 20:41

Mathijs
His Majesty
Indeed, but the use of acoustic guitars and Nicky playing makes me go more towards it being for filming of some kind.

And an official statement from my side: @#$%& ABKCO Records. @#$%& them deep and hard. I will never ever spent one more cent to this godawfull money grabbing bunch of @#$%&. They give us a mono let it bleed, a Ya Ya’s out with one extra track, while they have all this in the can.

@#$%& you ABKCO. Sure... suck the last pennies wherever you can. But @#$%& you.

Mathijs

Fixed it for ya.

Date: January 2, 2020 20:52

GasLightStreet
Mathijs
His Majesty

And an official statement from my side: @#$%& ABKCO Records and the Stones. @#$%& them deep and hard. I will never ever spent one more cent to this godawfull money grabbing bunch of @#$%&. They give us a mono let it bleed, a Ya Ya’s out with one extra track, while they have all this in the can.

@#$%& you ABKCO and the Stones. Sure... suck the last pennies wherever you can. But @#$%& you.

Mathijs

Fixed it for ya.

Fixed it for you winking smiley

Posted by: Duked ()
Date: January 2, 2020 21:14

Does anyone have (all!) the studio outtakes?

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 2, 2020 21:15

Ruby Tuesday cannot be from 1969. Jaggers singing style matches the way it was in 66-67, so either this is an early version or a rehearsal of some kind.

Date: January 2, 2020 21:17

JordyLicks96
Ruby Tuesday cannot be from 1969. Jaggers singing style matches the way it was in 66-67, so either this is an early version or a rehearsal of some kind.

Apparently 1968, intended for One Plus One.

Date: January 2, 2020 21:23

DandelionPowderman
JordyLicks96

Apparently 1968, intended for One Plus One.

One Plus One? So they just played a version of Ruby Tuesday while the cameras were rolling? This is interesting figuring out the dates of recording but that one is a little far fetched. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: January 2, 2020 21:33

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Mathijs
His Majesty

And an official statement from my side: @#$%& ABKCO Records and the Stones. @#$%& them deep and hard. I will never ever spent one more cent to this godawfull money grabbing bunch of @#$%&. They give us a mono let it bleed, a Ya Ya’s out with one extra track, while they have all this in the can.

@#$%& you ABKCO and the Stones. Sure... suck the last pennies wherever you can. But @#$%& you.

Mathijs

Fixed it for ya.

The Stones don't have any control over what ABKCO does, right? Isn't that part of the problem?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 2, 2020 21:34

It's funny how the assumptions of a certain bunch of users transform into the gospel in an instant. I'm with Jordy here, to me it sounds like a take preceding the block flute version. Mick is pronouncing "don't questian why she needs to be so free" like he's not yet familiar with the lyrics.

Date: January 2, 2020 21:56

Nikkei
It's funny how the assumptions of a certain bunch of users transform into the gospel in an instant. I'm with Jordy here, to me it sounds like a take preceding the block flute version. Mick is pronouncing "don't questian why she needs to be so free" like he's not yet familiar with the lyrics.

What is funny (and mildly annoying) is that there are bootlegs/rare recordings out there that don't circulate, and that some people are very well-connected and get to hear them or even possess them. smoking smiley

Date: January 2, 2020 22:10

DandelionPowderman
Nikkei

What is funny (and mildly annoying) is that there are bootlegs/rare recordings out there that don't circulate, and that some people are very well-connected and get to hear them or even possess them. smoking smiley

I find it very childish of those who choose to not share rare material. It's like a preschooler who refuses to share his favorite toy with the other children. Everybody should be able to enjoy the material. That's why I started a YouTube channel where I could post up rare Stones material for everyone to enjoy and listen.

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: January 2, 2020 22:13

Ruby Tuesday sounds very modern compared to the studio version. I was wondering why they would record it after BTB was released and One Plus One makes sense.

Date: January 2, 2020 22:15

JordyLicks96
DandelionPowderman
Nikkei

I find it very childish of those who choose to not share rare material. It's like a preschooler who refuses to share his favorite toy with the other children. Everybody should be able to enjoy the material. That's why I started a YouTube channel where I could post up rare Stones material for everyone to enjoy and listen.

Agreed (and I'm a subscriber).

Just to note: I was speaking in general here, and with no particular poster in mind.

Date: January 2, 2020 22:22

DandelionPowderman
JordyLicks96
DandelionPowderman
Nikkei

Agreed (and I'm a subscriber).

Just to note: I was speaking in general here, and with no particular poster in mind.

I appreciate that Dandelion!! smiling smiley I wish I could post the ABKCO copyright releases to my channel, but they'd be taken down in seconds. They'd probably also threaten to shut my channel down.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: January 2, 2020 22:46

Can anyone tell excactly what versions from the MSG shows that has now surfased that hasn't been out in sounboard quality before?

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: January 2, 2020 22:55

That Audacity trick works like a charm. Gotta love all the sharing of tech info here.

Happy New Year everyone!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 2, 2020 23:30

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Mathijs
His Majesty

Mathijs

Fixed it for ya.

The Stones don't have any control over what ABKCO does, right? Isn't that part of the problem?

The problem (and not a small one at that) is that THE STONES CAN BLOCK ANY RELEASE OF PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED MATERIAL AND THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THEY'RE DOING (I write in capitals because it has been discussed here a zillion times already).

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: January 3, 2020 00:02

Did any kind soul manage to grab the Altamont recording? Intrigued to hear what the 'official' version sounds like compared to all the other versions...

Thanks in advance

Date: January 3, 2020 00:10

Some notes I've taken down about the possible recording dates for some of these tracks:

"Ruby Tuesday" sounds like it's some rehearsal, although it could very well be an early take but I don't believe it's from 1969.

"Sympathy For The Devil" is definitely an early version from June 1968. He's still singing the line, "I shouted out 'Who killed the Kennedy?'"

"Stray Cat Blues" to me sounds like an early instrumental take from March-April 1968.

"Love In Vain" is (Take 6) and from either '68 or '69. NICO'S site lists a version of the song was possibly done in May 1968 with Brian Jones not present. If not, this is from March 1969.

"Country Honk" must be an early take from Spring 1969. It doesn't sound like Keith has the complete acoustic riff down yet from the album version.

"Let It Bleed" I'm not too sure about. It has an acoustic guitar and slide guitar which means it's either a rehearsal with Mick Taylor (which it doesn't sound like) for the '69 tour, an early take with Keith overdubbed on the slide, or maybe even Ry Cooder on the slide from Spring 1969.

"Midnight Rambler" is an early instrumental, (Take 18), from Spring 1969.

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" is from the choir session on March 15, 1969.

"Wild Horses" must be from late 1970 (although this version still has the earlier vocal take). These are most likely string arrangements by Paul Buckmaster who also arranged the strings on "Sway and "Moonlight Mile."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-03 00:16 by JordyLicks96.

Date: January 3, 2020 00:13

retired_dog
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Mathijs
His Majesty

Mathijs

Fixed it for ya.

The problem (and not a small one at that) is that THE STONES CAN BLOCK ANY RELEASE OF PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED MATERIAL AND THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THEY'RE DOING (I write in capitals because it has been discussed here a zillion times already).

Oh.

I guess I've never really read up on that aspect. Or I have and I've forgotten.

On subject anyway, why the hell would they care when they've put out 3589 greatest hits comps and only play old songs?

A. Family time

B. They love being like the Beach Boys

C. There's at least an additional 40 songs being added to the new album they're recording so they don't want any distractions from the new material being talked about.

4. They want nothing to get in the way of 2022's SIXTY RIFFS THE VERY BEST OF THE ROLLING STONES! hits album via 18 formats in 10 different versions, 8 of them all different, the 9th being 120 songs and the 10th being 160 songs.

Is that why?

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: January 3, 2020 00:30

johnnythunders
Did any kind soul manage to grab the Altamont recording? Intrigued to hear what the 'official' version sounds like compared to all the other versions...

Thanks in advance

Here's Gimme Shelter
wetransfer

winking smiley

HMN

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home