Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: New Ronnie Wood artwork
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 2, 2020 17:54

Hairball
Perhaps some people who appreciate (and defend) Ronnie's latest don't quite understand the significance and importance of Picasso's original or the event that it depicts - Ronnie certainly doesn't.

Yawn.

"Ronnie's amazing re-imagining of one of the most important and powerful works ever commited to canvas"

Dang, Now you've got me really rethinking my stance on this..
Hairball speculating on Ronnie's ignorance of the importance and significance of the original.. OR...
Ronnie himself commenting on how powerful and significant the original is.

Tough call.. but think I'll stick with Ronnie's interpretation of how he thinks about it. winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-02 18:24 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 2, 2020 18:01

That Ronnie comment was about "Abstract Stones", his interpretation of Picasso's "The Three Dancers".

I call it The Picasso Stones. It's my interpretation of Picasso’s painting The Three Dancers. Looking at the original, I was inspired to do my own take featuring the boys. I did a few versions and each one was slightly different and more honed than the last. I had great fun doing it.

Picasso did his own take on a lot of artists but I bet he never thought no one would ever do a take on him. I hope and think he'd be flattered, but also a bit shocked and pleasantly surprised at my take on his work.

[shop.ronniewood.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-02 18:03 by bye bye johnny.

Date: January 2, 2020 18:26

bye bye johnny
That Ronnie comment was about "Abstract Stones", his interpretation of Picasso's "The Three Dancers".

I call it The Picasso Stones. It's my interpretation of Picasso’s painting The Three Dancers. Looking at the original, I was inspired to do my own take featuring the boys. I did a few versions and each one was slightly different and more honed than the last. I had great fun doing it.

Picasso did his own take on a lot of artists but I bet he never thought no one would ever do a take on him. I hope and think he'd be flattered, but also a bit shocked and pleasantly surprised at my take on his work.

[shop.ronniewood.com]
Good catch, corrected. although it does bolster the notion of his overall respect for the artist.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 2, 2020 18:35

I think if Picasso was around he’d go after Ronnie for this Guernica comedy. I mean both legally and kick his ass.

Date: January 2, 2020 19:31

Seems his respect and knowledge re the original and the history runs fairly deep.
One of the highlights for him when they had to postpone dates after Keith's head injury according to his autobiography..

"Because of this unexpected break, I got to rediscover the Prado museum and introduce my family to Picasso's Guernica, plus the firing squads of Degas and Goya."
[books.google.com]

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 2, 2020 20:11

I never doubted he knew what the history is of the Guernica. That he used it in such a calculated way is what bothers me. makes it worse. Makes me wonder if Wood is in need of money. I know he wants to keep himself artistically active in his time away from the band.
.. this move of Ronnie’s is beyond bad taste. It’s damaging to the Stones too. He’s brought them into it.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 2, 2020 20:19

I think this is a sign that people like him (i.e. people who, to put it bluntly, never had to work a day in their life, having all kinds of other people taking care of things for them) are living in a total state of unreality. Sure, he knows what Guernica is about, yet, he doesn't seem to fathom the extent of his actions here. It would be strange if being cheered by the masses for decades on end, wouldn't turn anyone into a narcissist.
I just read today that Brian May is going vegan, for January anyway (what's the use of that?), and what does he mention? The local Chinese takeaway! Not that I want to bash Chinese people, but Chinese cuisine isn't exacty known for its animal friendly practices.

Date: January 2, 2020 20:24

duke richardson
I never doubted he knew what the history is of the Guernica. That he used it in such a calculated way is what bothers me. makes it worse. Makes me wonder if Wood is in need of money. I know he wants to keep himself artistically active in his time away from the band.
.. this move of Ronnie’s is beyond bad taste. It’s damaging to the Stones too. He’s brought them into it.

Wasn't insinuating you were, duke.
Others (many) were, but I was responding to an earlier post of Hairball's, which I apologize for not making clear.

Disagree with the rest of your rant however and believe there's plenty of evidence that would disprove your theory(s).
Like all of his art, this won't make a blip of difference to any Stones fans outside of perhaps the very few on this thread, even then.. not really.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: January 2, 2020 20:53

duke richardson
I think if Picasso was around he’d go after Ronnie for this Guernica comedy. I mean both legally and kick his ass.

when it comes to ass-kickin, my money'd be on pablo. after all, from j richman's song:

He could walk down your street and girls could not resist his stare
Pablo Picasso never got called an @#$%&
Well, the girls would turn the color of a juicy avocado
When he would drive down their street in his El Dorado
Well, he was only 5'3" but girls could not resist his stare
Not in New York

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 2, 2020 21:20

LazarusSmith
duke richardson

when it comes to ass-kickin, my money'd be on pablo. after all, from j richman's song:

Not in New York

Various women who Picasso abused would probably put their bets on him too.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 2, 2020 21:59

MKjan
LazarusSmith
duke richardson

Not in New York

I don't know - Ronnie's treatment of women in the past wasn't always wine and roses either. Remember the young Russian gal Ekaterina? Ronnie =Jekyll and Hyde I'm sure she would bet on Ronnie.
I'll go with Picasso kicking his ass - he didn't suffer fools kindly, and when his work is distorted and mocked into a cartoon, he probably would have gone ballistic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-02 22:05 by Hairball.

Date: January 2, 2020 22:05

MisterDDDD
Hairball
Perhaps some people who appreciate (and defend) Ronnie's latest don't quite understand the significance and importance of Picasso's original or the event that it depicts - Ronnie certainly doesn't.

Yawn.

"Ronnie's amazing re-imagining of one of the most important and powerful works ever commited to canvas"

Dang, Now you've got me really rethinking my stance on this..
Hairball speculating on Ronnie's ignorance of the importance and significance of the original.. OR...
Ronnie himself commenting on how powerful and significant the original is.

Tough call.. but think I'll stick with Ronnie's interpretation of how he thinks about it. winking smiley

Doesn't look like a quote from Ronnie but rather his publicist, but I'll give Ronnie the benefit of the doubt as he did go to art school. Others here not so sure about.

But what about the hypothetical Vietnam Veteran Memorial as reimagined by Ronnie with the Stones and fans trampling all over it?
Would you still applaud and cheerlead for Ronnie? Because it's controversial, you'd like it? Because it's by Ronnie, you'd like it?
Because this is exactly the same thing he's done with Guernica - mocked it. Whether he admires Picasso or not is beside the point - Ronnie has no class.

Date: January 2, 2020 22:29

MKjan
LazarusSmith
duke richardson

Not in New York

was listening to "getting better" from sgt pepper's this a.m. and realized that paul sings

I used to be cruel to my woman
I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved

this from paul "silly love songs" mccartney? men are straight up pigs yo

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 2, 2020 22:40

LazarusSmith
MKjan
LazarusSmith
duke richardson

Not in New York

was listening to "getting better" from sgt pepper's this a.m. and realized that paul sings

Paul came up with a zinger every now and then. I wonder who was being referenced in this one.

Date: January 2, 2020 22:41

Apparently John Lennon added the beating part to the lyrics. He appears to have admitted he was a 'woman hitter' himself, as he used to be unable to express his emotions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-02 22:42 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 2, 2020 22:59

LazarusSmith

As SomeGuy noted, that was John's lyric...he also contributed the "Can't get no worse" line in response to Paul's "It's getting better all the time"...the song is a good example of their contrasting personalities.

Date: January 2, 2020 23:24

Jah Paul
LazarusSmith

As SomeGuy noted, that was John's lyric...he also contributed the "Can't get no worse" line in response to Paul's "It's getting better all the time"...the song is a good example of their contrasting personalities.

The "can't get any worse" riposte is quite possibly the funniest line The Beatles ever sang. Plus, of course, it's the perfect embodiment of the Lennon/McCartney temperamental dichotomy.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 3, 2020 00:39

It looks like the artwork of ALIEN meets the Guinness toucan.

Date: January 3, 2020 02:03

Hairball

Doesn't look like a quote from Ronnie but rather his publicist, but I'll give Ronnie the benefit of the doubt as he did go to art school. Others here not so sure about.

But what about the hypothetical Vietnam Veteran Memorial as reimagined by Ronnie with the Stones and fans trampling all over it?
Would you still applaud and cheerlead for Ronnie? Because it's controversial, you'd like it? Because it's by Ronnie, you'd like it?
Because this is exactly the same thing he's done with Guernica - mocked it. Whether he admires Picasso or not is beside the point - Ronnie has no class.

Apples and Oranges.
This isn't any type of official "memorial". It's a painting. Art.
There have been many, many, depictions in a variety of mediums done of the horrors of the Vietnam War. Those would be equivalent to Picasso's piece, not a Memorial.

The fact that it's revered and that it depicts tragedy doesn't land it in the memorial category. Many have made depictions of this, it's not sacrilege.
What about the non-hypothetical issue of Lego making a depiction?
A toy company making a rendition of it is somehow respectful but this isn't?

Seems many reason that because the toy company and others have made "respectful" or other versions that stay true to the spirit of the piece, get a pass.
I'm arguing that Ronnie has done the same in his own way. I say Bravo to him (and the Stones by promoting it and allowing use of the tongue) for taking a risk with the piece.
That's what makes it (and Picasso's original) Art. As opposed to "memorials".

Also... "publicist" lol.

Date: January 3, 2020 02:07

Some folks just don't want to listen. Let's not waste more time on this.

Date: January 3, 2020 02:29

MisterDDDD
Hairball

Apples and Oranges.
This isn't any type of official "memorial". It's a painting. Art.
There have been many, many, depictions in a variety of mediums done of the horrors of the Vietnam War. Those would be equivalent to Picasso's piece, not a Memorial.

The fact that it's revered and that it depicts tragedy doesn't land it in the memorial category. Many have made depictions of this, it's not sacrilege.
What about the non-hypothetical issue of Lego making a depiction?
A toy company making a rendition of it is somehow respectful but this isn't?

Seems many reason that because the toy company and others have made "respectful" or other versions that stay true to the spirit of the piece, get a pass.
I'm arguing that Ronnie has done the same in his own way. I say Bravo to him (and the Stones by promoting it and allowing use of the tongue) for taking a risk with the piece.
That's what makes it (and Picasso's original) Art. As opposed to "memorials".

Also... "publicist" lol.

Then take a famous painting or artwork depicting the horrors of the Vietnam war, and then have Ronnie turning it in to a tribute to himself and his band.
Would that work for you? Evidently so, but no big deal.

But OK MisterDDDD - I'm not trying to change your way of thinking as we both have different takes on this.
I think Ronnie has crossed the line of bad taste (as do a majority of others in this thread), and you think it's great and cheer him on for crossing the line of bad taste.

Also, what's wrong with "publicist"? I thought I may have misspelled it and you were correcting me, but looks like I spelled it right.
Clearly this isn't a quote from Ronnie himself: "Ronnie's amazing re-imagining of one of the most important and powerful works ever commited to canvas" - unless he likes to speak of himself in the third person.
Publicist? Promoter? Whoever is pushing his latest "art"? Surely not a quote from Ronnie as you stated.

Date: January 3, 2020 02:58

Fair enough.. Hairball.

The disagreement comes down to your, in my opinion, characterization of it as "a tribute to himself and the band". I'm using your words carefully to describe your opinion, I would appreciate the same. I'm not "cheering him on for crossing the line of bad taste". I don't think it's bad taste. I'm cheering him on for taking risks and painting what he wants to paint, regardless.

I think the piece deeply moved him (and many others) and he was paying respectful homage to it in a knowingly daring way. He has visited it multiple times and has written about the excitement of being able to take his family to it etc. Whether he missed the mark in terms of taste, that's a judgement call and clearly many think he did. I don't. If he was as many presume doing it for the money or to tribute, or to mock, I would agree.I don't believe that nonsense, so I don't.

Also, you are right about the publicist of course, I was scoffing at the notion that those wouldn't be Ronnie's words or sentiment. He's clearly well familiar with the piece and it's impact.

Date: January 3, 2020 03:04

Well OK, but you did say "I rather like it.. that it's somewhat controversial here, makes me like it more" (with a smiley face), so the way I interpreted that is you like it because he has crossed the line.
Maybe not bad taste in your mind, but crossed the line making it controversial as you say. I'm of the opinion it's a piece of crap that's crossed the line. Enjoy it.

Still not sure how you can come to the conclusion that he's "paying respectful homage to it in a knowingly daring way". Respectful? If that's the way you see it, oh well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-03 03:07 by Hairball.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 3, 2020 03:05

Whatever you think of it, it has your attention. And that's the point of "art". So in that, I would say it is a very successful piece.

I know its not very deep, but its the best I got.

jb

Date: January 3, 2020 03:10

jbwelda
Whatever you think of it, it has your attention. And that's the point of "art". So in that, I would say it is a very successful piece.

I know its not very deep, but its the best I got.

jb

You should have seen the thread that dealt with his magic marker setlist scribblings...with all the attention that "art" received, you'd think Ronnie is the most successful artist that ever lived!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 3, 2020 03:19

Sad he came up with this piece of crap given the fact
he's been so impressed by Picasso's work.
Could have made up his mind and create something
unique of his own.
The whole concept and idea stinks obsessed to force
Stones stuff into his copy and paste painting effort.
That's a shame.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 3, 2020 08:32

It’s truly awful

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: January 3, 2020 19:07

GasLightStreet
It looks like the artwork of ALIEN meets the Guinness toucan.

Phhhtt! LOL!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1827
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home