Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

You Got Me Rocking (Voodoo Brew) Keith Vocals
Date: December 30, 2019 04:25

I find it amusing that The Rolling Stones clearly liked this song.
They sure played it live (a lot!)
I always found it superfluous in concert.
On the Voodoo Lounge it's alright... mostly forgettable.

But for some reason, on the 10:58 version with Keith on lead vocals on Voodoo Lounge outtakes bootleg - it is one of my all-time favorites.... It goes on forever and I just love it! And when Jagger starts singing (mumbling really - I love it even more)

Go Figure.

Re: You Got Me Rocking (Voodoo Brew) Keith Vocals
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 30, 2019 06:35

Never really cared for the song but over the years the band seemed to have played it quite a bit. Maybe they wanted it to turn into one of their warhorses?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 30, 2019 06:41

I actually recall liking it a lot in the beginning, but got bored of it when they kept playing it live. It's still an okay track.

It's been years since I listened to Voodoo Brew/Stew, I don't recall the Keith vocal very well.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: December 30, 2019 07:00

I personally love "You Got Me Rocking." If the song was released like 15 years earlier, it probably would have been a Top 20 hit.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 30, 2019 11:01

I love the instrumental version:
[youtu.be]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 30, 2019 11:24

Maybe it was supposed to be the next Start Me Up. Funny it became a warhorse. Also, I remember Mick made a negative comment about it. Don't ask me for a reference though I don't remember where I heard or read it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-30 11:25 by frankotero.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 30, 2019 16:16

For some reason (maybe I read something, idk) that Keith loves the song and wants it played live. Mick loves "Undercover of the Night." I guess they have to compromise.

I like "You Got Me Rocking" but don't love it. If you play back various live version of it, it can have a different groove which makes it interesting when it's played live.

I don't usually like the Stones remixes but "You Got Me Rocking" has some good ones.

"Jump on Top of Me" is a great bonus track!

I'll revisit the Keith vocal version.

"Begun in early in 1993, "You Got Me Rocking" was initially a blues number; bootlegs have Jagger and Richards working the song as a slower, blues flavored ramble, with Jagger shouting the hook- "you got me rocking". Changed to a straightforward rocker in the vein of "Start Me Up", the song quickly evolved into a powerful rock single as Richards made the transition from piano to guitar. " - wiki [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: December 30, 2019 19:07

I thought it went over really well this summer at the Rose Bowl, nice driving beat for the second song. I love the droning open strings on Keith's intro part.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 30, 2019 20:06

Never liked the studio version much at all, but have somewhat grown to appreciate it when seeing it played live over the years.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 30, 2019 20:27

frankotero
I remember Mick made a negative comment about it.

Really? I always thought he loved that track, mainly because it put the crowd into the appropriate mood = YGMR removes bums from their seat.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 30, 2019 21:09

bathroom break, skip it on pandora, on the cd....whatever it takes...hate the song.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 30, 2019 22:32

I had to dig deep in my archive but found the 10.58 Keith version. I had listened to it "ages" ago so had almost forgotten how it went.
Well, I think that Keith would not have felt comfortable singing YGMR at the speed as it is on the Voodoo Lounge album. Keith's voice is not suitable for speedy songs (I think). On the 10.58 slow version he sounds fine and relaxed, but I much more enjoy the upspeed version. Even more so live. I really get a kick when they do this song live (even though it is often a little slower than the album version).
It would be nice to know at what moment the band "decided" to go for the speedy album version? Maybe the slow Keith-version was only done to give the band a first feeling on the song. There are plenty examples of slow starters ending up on albums in speedy versions.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: December 31, 2019 00:27

Their worst song, a complete abortion.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 31, 2019 02:10

Timing is everything. It's a better song than Start Me Up, but the market had changed.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: December 31, 2019 02:25

YGMR is 10x better than Start Me Up. Lyric-wise, SMU is a nothing song, but it's the catchiness of the chorus and opening riff that made everyone crazy over it.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 31, 2019 14:24

On VL, YGMR sounds a bit sterile, a bit like Stones by the numbers, but I really dig the live version on No Security, where they put some soul into it.

I have Voodoo Brew / Stew / Dew etc. somewhere on a hard disc but haven't listened to it for quite a while, can't recall the version there.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 31, 2019 15:16

doitywoik
On VL, YGMR sounds a bit sterile, a bit like Stones by the numbers, but I really dig the live version on No Security, where they put some soul into it.

same goes for "OOControl" or "I Go Wild". Nice in their studio versions, these tunes grew majestically in their live incarnation.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 31, 2019 16:13

In my opinion YGMR is a solid song, I do not like the studio version, yet it is a great song to be played live. Beat, solos and vocals work well.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 1, 2020 19:24

JordyLicks96
Lyric-wise, SMU is a nothing song, ...

I think that lyric-wise, Hot Stuff outdoes even SMU ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 1, 2020 19:37

while I can dig the riffage, I could do without Keiths set of lyrics about anal sex

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1377
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home