Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Feud Between Keith and Elton John
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: December 25, 2019 19:08

I am now about two thirds of the way through the book Me Elton John, by Elton John. Already I have heard Elton say at least three negative things about Keith. While Elton was often stoned on cocaine and alcohol, he complained of Keith being so stoned one time that he could hardly move. He said Keith was very upset that Lion King had outperformed Voodoo Lounge in terms of sales. He also said he looked like a monkey with arthritis, certainly a crude thing to say since no one can help the way they look. Elton seemed to justify his behavior by saying Keith had criticized him, apparently a lot.

What is behind all of this silly bickering ?

Re: Feud Between Keith and Elton John
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 25, 2019 19:17

flilflam
I am now about two thirds of the way through the book Me Elton John, by Elton John. Already I have heard Elton say at least three negative things about Keith. While Elton was often stoned on cocaine and alcohol, he complained of Keith being so stoned one time that he could hardly move. He said Keith was very upset that Lion King had outperformed Voodoo Lounge in terms of sales. He also said he looked like a monkey with arthritis, certainly a crude thing to say since no one can help the way they look. Elton seemed to justify his behavior by saying Keith had criticized him, apparently a lot.

"Goodbye England´s Rose" - songs about "dead blondes" -
That´s the predecessor to the "monkey" I recall.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 25, 2019 19:23

from nme:

[Keith about]
Elton John: “An old bitch… his writing is limited to songs about dead blondes.”

Elton's response: "It would be awful to be like Keith Richards. He’s pathetic.
It’s like a monkey with arthritis, trying to go on stage and look young. I have
great respect for the Stones but they would have been better if they had thrown
Keith out 15 years ago."

Mirror 2015:

What happened at GQ Awards when Elton John faced off with rival Keith Richards?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-25 19:28 by TooTough.

Posted by: woody ()
Date: December 25, 2019 20:19

I thought Woody had owned the dead blondes quote

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 25, 2019 20:20

Richards later spoke of the incident, apologising to Animal Right's groups for killing seventeen monkeys. However, Richards later claimed that the monkeys were in fact "trespassers" and had "inhaled weak shit".

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: December 25, 2019 20:21

flilflam

As the picture above shows, they can get along at times.

Elton played "Honky Tonk Woman" at his first U.S. shows in 1970 so he has always shown admiration for the Stones.

I'm behind you as far as where I'm at reading "Me" but it really is entertaining, isn't it? If it is really in Elton's own words, he is very gifted as a writer.

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: December 25, 2019 20:26

tonyc
flilflam

Elton played "Honky Tonk Woman" at his first U.S. shows in 1970 so he has always shown admiration for the Stones.

I'm behind you as far as where I'm at reading "Me" but it really is entertaining, isn't it? If it is really in Elton's own words, he is very gifted as a writer.

It was ghostwritten by Alexis Petridis.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: December 25, 2019 21:34

I thought i read they had made up.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 25, 2019 21:52

MrEcho
tonyc
flilflam

It was ghostwritten by Alexis Petridis.

As far as I can see the only autobiographies by pop/rock musicians that were really written by themselves (without journalists lending a helping hand) are Bob Dylans Chronicals and Patti Smith' books

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 25, 2019 23:11

I think Elton once guested at a Stones show -- was supposed to sit in for one song but stuck around for more, which angered Keith. I read that Elton later apologized saying he was out of it at the time.
I would guess that Elton's animosity comes from having cleaned up his addictions and being irritated that Keith continued on.
As for Keith -- well, the 'dead blondes' comment was funny, and spot on.
I believe that Mick did his best to keep Elton from taking Keith seriously.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 25, 2019 23:54

"...his writing is limited to songs about dead blondes"

Keith's mind is limited for saying such nonsense.
Elton shouldn't have taken the bait, and then went a bit too far with his "monkey with arthritis" reply.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-25 23:54 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 25, 2019 23:55

……………….Keef does W.C Fields .……………………….. 1975 Tour …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 26, 2019 01:39

If Keith doesnt like working with animals, how come he went along with the RR Circus project?

Date: December 26, 2019 01:43

YEAH jlowe….. and how come
he did some of his greatest work on Bitch ????????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 26, 2019 01:47

Elton ripped off a lot of Keith’s riffs,like on the Bitch is Back and Saturday Night

Date: December 26, 2019 02:09

Elton is a bitch …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 26, 2019 02:36

I think it was the Boulder Colorado show on the TOTA '75 tour that Mr. John (what's his legal name anyway?) stayed on stage in a lengthy and unwarranted fashion and wore out his welcome.

plexi

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 26, 2019 02:44

timbernardis
I think it was the Boulder Colorado show on the TOTA '75 tour that Mr. John (what's his legal name anyway?) stayed on stage in a lengthy and unwarranted fashion and wore out his welcome.

plexi

'Reg White. Lovely bloke, but posing.'

-- Keith, Rolling Stone interview for the 'Talk is Cheap' promotion.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 26, 2019 03:24

timbernardis

plexi

I'm pretty sure it's Elton Hercules John. Born Reginald Dwight.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 26, 2019 03:57

I read a long time ago that Keith was pissed because Elton let it be known Ron Wood was the Stones new guitarist before the Stones could announce it, but I don’t know for sure if it’s true.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 26, 2019 04:07

Taylor1
Elton ripped off a lot of Keith’s riffs,like on the Bitch is Back and Saturday Night

Probably more of an homage than just blatantly ripping off "a lot of Keith's riffs." When I saw Elton in '89 (just prior to the Steel Wheels Tour), he did a long interlude of Brown Sugar during The Bitch Is Back...even commenting after how he was really looking forward to the Stones' return to the road.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: December 26, 2019 10:45

It was ghostwritten by Alexis Petridis.[/quote]

As far as I can see the only autobiographies by pop/rock musicians that were really written by themselves (without journalists lending a helping hand) are Bob Dylans Chronicals and Patti Smith' books[/quote]

Johnny Marr claims to have written his book "Set the boy free" himself

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: December 26, 2019 10:59

crholmstrom
timbernardis

plexi

Yes, his legal name is indeed Elton Hercules John.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 26, 2019 11:23

rebelrebel
crholmstrom
timbernardis

plexi

Yes, his legal name is indeed Elton Hercules John.

And his two children, Elijah and Zacharay have taken the surnames Furnish-John.
Zacharay's middle name is Jackson, not sure if this is a homage to Michael, if so a bit unfortunate.
Might have been better to call him John (after He of Beatles fame).Imagine the ribbing at school though...Zacky John-John.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 26, 2019 12:17

I meant his birth name.

plexi

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: December 26, 2019 12:57

Jah Paul
Taylor1

Probably more of an homage than just blatantly ripping off "a lot of Keith's riffs." When I saw Elton in '89 (just prior to the Steel Wheels Tour), he did a long interlude of Brown Sugar during The Bitch Is Back...even commenting after how he was really looking forward to the Stones' return to the road.

Yes, that was the first tour I saw Elton and that was indeed part of the show.

Also, on his 1993 tour Elton had "Jumpin' Jack Flash" in the setlist.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 26, 2019 13:28

timbernardis
I meant his birth name.

plexi

Reginald Kenneth Dwight

Date: December 26, 2019 15:30

Not the finest moment of both legends.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: December 26, 2019 16:31

[www.nme.com]

Elton John “hijacked” Rolling Stones gig while high on cocaine
A hell of a drug...

Nick Reilly
8th October 2019

Elton John and The Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger and Keith Richards
Elton John has revealed how he “hijacked” a Rolling Stones gig in the 1980s while high on cocaine.

The music icon, who battled drug addiction in the 1980s, revealed how he outstayed his welcome after being invited to play ‘Honky Tonk Women’ at a gig in Colorado.

The ‘Rocket Man’ singer outlined the incident in his upcoming autobiography Me, revealing how guitarist Keith Richards gave him the first indication that the band weren’t happy with his antics.

“I decided it was going so well, I’d stay on and jam along to the rest of their set, without first taking the precaution of asking the Stones if they wanted an auxiliary keyboard player,” he wrote, as serialised by the Daily Mail.

“For a while, I thought Keith Richards kept staring at me because he was awestruck by the brilliance of my improvised contributions to their oeuvre. After a few songs, it finally penetrated my brain that the expression on his face wasn’t really suggestive of profound musical appreciation.”

Describing his eventual exit, Elton explained: “I quickly scuttled off, noting as I went that Keith was still staring at me in a manner that suggested we’d be discussing this later, and decided it might be best if I didn’t hang around for the after-show party.”

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 26, 2019 17:49

timbernardis

plexi

It was the Ft Collins Hughes Stadium concert on the 75 tour. I was there 20 yards or so back from the stage on the field and Elton did very much appear to over extend his welcome on stage following HTW opener. Keith was visibly fuming and I remember Keith between songs talking with Stu who shrugged his shoulders and turned his palms up. Great concert BTW and a really long setlist from the Stones. There is a good bootleg of this concert around.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1742
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home