Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rare song from the UNDERCOVER sessions
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: December 20, 2019 02:34

Posted this rare, unearthed song from the UNDERCOVER sessions earlier this year on my YouTube channel but wanted to get the opinion of others on what they think of it. It's one of those songs where I think to myself, "Why did they not finish this and release it?"

What do you think of the song?

"DOG SHIT"
[www.youtube.com]

Re: Rare song from the UNDERCOVER sessions
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 20, 2019 03:25

Sounds pretty much like just a part of a song. But they must have considered it more seriously, otherwise there were no horns arrangement. You're right, would have been worth trying to come up with other parts and make it a song. I'm just not sure if it would have fit with the other songs on Undercover.

Maybe this gives us an idea of the (state of some of) the 40+ plus songs for the new album. Like a whole bunch of song parts, each of which needs some other part(s) to make it a real song.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 20, 2019 03:47

JordyLicks96
Posted this rare, unearthed song from the UNDERCOVER sessions earlier this year on my YouTube channel but wanted to get the opinion of others on what they think of it. It's one of those songs where I think to myself, "Why did they not finish this and release it?"

What do you think of the song?

"DOG SHIT"
[www.youtube.com]

It's like a lot of Stones outtakes. Great groove but it doesn't go anywhere.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 20, 2019 03:48

Sounds a bit aimless and meandering, though aptly titled in it's current state.
Needs a bit of polishing....maybe some cowbell...

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 20, 2019 08:10

Hmm, I think I'm glad that they didn't pursue this.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 20, 2019 08:59

I like it...but i prefer "Cookin Up"!
Demo
[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-20 10:31 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 20, 2019 19:08

I recall Dogshit being the working title for Pretty Beat Up, which this sounds nothing like. This sounds more like Wanna Hold You.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 20, 2019 19:29

This sounds a bit like "I Love You Too Much." Compare it to "Run and Take" from the UNDERCOVER sessions. Sounds like it might be the same tune to me, but reworked with horns and to show more of a pop influence. Now that I spend more time with it, I hear the "Munich Hilton" guitar riff come in. And yes, that opening riff sounds like it became "Too Tough."

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-21 19:30 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: December 20, 2019 19:39

Sigh...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 21, 2019 00:38

Placet! For something unfinished I like it a lot. (Sorta brings to mind Too Tough.) Mick said some songs on STEEL WHEELS were a bit "unfinished," but repetitious as are Terrifying and Almost Hear You Sigh, I still love them just for the feel and sound. This could have been similar, with Mick adding great attitude.

Thanks for sharing, never heard this before.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 21, 2019 15:45

Sounds very rough, doesn’t sound like Charlie even? I think those horns may be synth horns as well. Just 7+ minutes of a riff with other ideas woven in. That’s my take.

Date: December 21, 2019 19:06

Tate
Sounds very rough, doesn’t sound like Charlie even? I think those horns may be synth horns as well. Just 7+ minutes of a riff with other ideas woven in. That’s my take.

I believe they're the same people who play on "Too Much Blood" and "Pretty Beat Up." They're called, "The Sugarhill Horn Section CHOPS." That's 100% Charlie. He's playing the exact same way he does on UNDERCOVER. I'm also just taking a wild guess and saying that they gave this rough track for the horn section to play on before they overdubbed for the two album tracks. Maybe as just a tester?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-21 19:07 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 21, 2019 20:26

I love this!!

Great groove and horns that lift you higher. Wish more latter-day Stones tracks had horns like this.

Thanks for posting.

Drew

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 21, 2019 20:39

Rocky Dijon
Compare it to "Run and Take" from the UNDERCOVER sessions.

Where can I find this, Rocky? Don't see it on YouTube.

Drew

Date: December 21, 2019 23:19

drewmaster
Rocky Dijon
Compare it to "Run and Take" from the UNDERCOVER sessions.

Where can I find this, Rocky? Don't see it on YouTube.

Drew

The link is in my post. It says "I Love You Too Much," but it's "Run and Take." They're sort of the same song.

Date: December 21, 2019 23:24

Rocky Dijon
This sounds a bit like "I Love You Too Much." Compare it to "Run and Take" from the UNDERCOVER sessions. Sounds like it might be the same tune to me, but reworked with horns and to show more of a pop influence. Now that I spend more time with it, I hear the "Munich Hilton" guitar riff come in. And yes, that opening riff sounds like it became "Too Tough."

[www.youtube.com]

Actually all these songs are all new. They were all written this year, last year, over a short base of time when we recorded. They're all new and none of 'em are from previous sessions. This is like 10 tracks that were chosen out of 15 that we actually finished.
- Mick Jagger, 1984

[www.timeisonourside.com]

1975 Cellophane Trousers 1 and 2 became... Too Tough in 1983.

Date: December 21, 2019 23:45

GasLightStreet
Rocky Dijon

[www.youtube.com]

Actually all these songs are all new. They were all written this year, last year, over a short base of time when we recorded. They're all new and none of 'em are from previous sessions. This is like 10 tracks that were chosen out of 15 that we actually finished.
- Mick Jagger, 1984

[www.timeisonourside.com]

1975 Cellophane Trousers 1 and 2 became... Too Tough in 1983.

And it sounds like they kept Keith's 1975 guitar track for Too Tough on the verses.

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: December 22, 2019 00:16

This sounds like it could be from the Exile period, but maybe that's just the rough recording. I keep on thinking I can hear bits of riffs from "Happy" and "Tumblin Dice" in it. Its mind boggling to think how many more albums they could have made.

Date: December 22, 2019 01:15

Is the version of UOTN that Ronnie talked about, the acoustic version (possibly also the funky version he mentions), available anywhere? Does anyone know what he's talking about?

Date: December 22, 2019 02:05

GasLightStreet
Is the version of UOTN that Ronnie talked about, the acoustic version (possibly also the funky version he mentions), available anywhere? Does anyone know what he's talking about?

Of the title track? It's on Exhibitionism.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 22, 2019 02:57

Rocky Dijon

[www.youtube.com]

Yep, all these tracks are pretty much the same "influence", "Munich Hilton", "Love you Too Much", "I can't help it", "Run And Take" etc...and it had to wait until the SG Deluxe to see the official light of day.

I believe the "Dog Shit"/PBU story came from Martin Eliott's book where he referenced Wyman saying this (because he was supposedly upset for not playing the bass)....Actually this has been discussed a few times before and someone dug out that TV interview where he said that and it was a joke. Funny that this title came up again for an unrelated track.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: December 22, 2019 05:49

GasLightStreet

This might possibly be the acoustic version:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 22, 2019 11:13

JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

If memory serves this one is more guitar-heavy than the version on Exhibitionism. There were also some different vocals from Mick.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 23, 2019 05:45

This is from the Art Collins Tapes, not sure if they have ever leaked yet.

** well obviously this one did if on youtube!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-23 05:47 by LeonidP.

Date: December 24, 2019 04:47

JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

That's a cool mix but Ronnie makes it sound like it has acoustic guitars in it instead of electrics.

Date: December 24, 2019 04:48

gotdablouse
Rocky Dijon

[www.youtube.com]

Yep, all these tracks are pretty much the same "influence", "Munich Hilton", "Love you Too Much", "I can't help it", "Run And Take" etc...and it had to wait until the SG Deluxe to see the official light of day.

I believe the "Dog Shit"/PBU story came from Martin Eliott's book where he referenced Wyman saying this (because he was supposedly upset for not playing the bass)....Actually this has been discussed a few times before and someone dug out that TV interview where he said that and it was a joke. Funny that this title came up again for an unrelated track.

I recall reading that Ronnie and Keith called it that.

Date: December 24, 2019 05:24

"Dogshit" is Keith-speak for "Goddess." This rubric has been established for nearly 20 years now.

Date: December 24, 2019 05:30

Rocky Dijon
"Dogshit" is Keith-speak for "Goddess." This rubric has been established for nearly 20 years now.

Yes. Alas, supposedly "Dogshit" was written on the master reel for Pretty Beat Up.

Date: December 24, 2019 05:34

That's what I had thought! A nice slam for poor Ronnie's obligatory credit. The real pity is how much better the version on SLIDE ON LIVE is. The album cut has David Sanborn playing his heart out on what sounds like a poor demo of "Everything is Turning to Gold."

Date: December 24, 2019 05:38

Rocky Dijon
That's what I had thought! A nice slam for poor Ronnie's obligatory credit. The real pity is how much better the version on SLIDE ON LIVE is. The album cut has David Sanborn playing his heart out on what sounds like a poor demo of "Everything is Turning to Gold."

When The Rolling Stones hang it up in 2022 maybe someone will write a book detailing the truth of Mick and Keith's relationship regarding how they've always treated Ronnie Wood. The book title should be SAD SAD SAD.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1507
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home