Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Back-up band (behind the stage) for the Stones
Posted by: RG ()
Date: December 19, 2019 12:57

I couldn't stop laughing..

In a Dutch newspaper today a journalist talks about Keith's birthday. A nice article.

But he was also very convinced that there is a back-up band (behind the stage) for the Stones during live gigs to camouflage there mistakes. I couldn't stop laughing.

That someone can do such a nonsense. And get even paid for it. Unbelievable.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-19 16:37 by bv.

Re: I couldn't stop laughing..
Date: December 19, 2019 13:10

Blondie was playing a lot behind the curtains.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 19, 2019 13:16

PaintMonkeyManBlack

Was he playing behind the curtains? He played a lot during the ABB Tour when Keith Richards was semi-conscious, he stood in the backround, but I would not call it behind the curtains.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 19, 2019 13:41

windmelody
PaintMonkeyManBlack

Was he playing behind the curtains? He played a lot during the ABB Tour when Keith Richards was semi-conscious, he stood in the backround, but I would not call it behind the curtains.
OFFENSIVE to state Keith was semi conscious

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 19, 2019 14:19

Sorry, I only wrote it because the man himself said that (after his accident) he had been semi-conscious for some years. When KR recovered, Blondie was no longer in the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-19 14:22 by windmelody.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 19, 2019 14:27

If the Stones use a back-up band behind the stage, those clowns should be fired for the mistakes they regularly make.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 19, 2019 14:41

RG

In 95 Jagger sued after a German newspaper claimed the band played to pre-recorded tapes, and he got big money. Fast-forward to 2019 the paper press is dying so Jagger won't bother ue for libel. He'd get pennies. grinning smiley

Date: December 19, 2019 14:48

windmelody
PaintMonkeyManBlack

some songs behind the curtains yes (first few)

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: December 19, 2019 15:21

PaintMonkeyManBlack
windmelody
PaintMonkeyManBlack

yes all the backup people including Bernard,Lisa/Sarah are not on stage for the first few songs but this is nothing to do with 'covering the bands mistakes'. I think the band should sue this hack for libel just on principal alone.

Date: December 19, 2019 15:57

PaintMonkeyManBlack
windmelody
PaintMonkeyManBlack

But (as I'm sure you know) he never played anything remotely similar to Keith's style, and certainly not riffs etc.

He's actually audible on the live version of Nearness Of You (some nice jazzy stuff on acoustic).

Posted by: nick ()
Date: December 19, 2019 18:00

TheGreek
windmelody

Semi conscious was exactly what Keith himself said in describing what the anti seizure medication was making him feel like.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 19, 2019 19:05

nick
TheGreek
windmelody

Semi conscious was exactly what Keith himself said in describing what the anti seizure medication was making him feel like.

Its just an expression. Too many people take things to literally.

Date: December 19, 2019 20:44

DandelionPowderman
PaintMonkeyManBlack
windmelody
PaintMonkeyManBlack

But (as I'm sure you know) he never played anything remotely similar to Keith's style, and certainly not riffs etc.

He's actually audible on the live version of Nearness Of You (some nice jazzy stuff on acoustic).

yes agree.

But why even bother about some nonsense like this.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 19, 2019 22:41

PaintMonkeyManBlack
windmelody
PaintMonkeyManBlack

Yup, when I saw them in Vancouver 2006 I had floor seats to the far left. When they came on stage, I could see Blondie sitting on the ground hidden near Chuck playing his guitar.

Re: Back-up band (behind the stage) for the Stones
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 19, 2019 22:53

RG
I couldn't stop laughing..

In a Dutch newspaper today a journalist talks about Keith's birthday. A nice article.

But he was also very convinced that there is a back-up band (behind the stage) for the Stones during live gigs to camouflage there mistakes. I couldn't stop laughing.

If they have got a band behind the stage to hide their mistakes, they aren't doing a very good job, are they. Ought to be sacked.

Date: December 19, 2019 23:07

PaintMonkeyManBlack
DandelionPowderman
PaintMonkeyManBlack
windmelody
PaintMonkeyManBlack

yes agree.

But why even bother about some nonsense like this.

Good question smiling smiley

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 19, 2019 23:33

what a funny story, stones have never hidden the fact they have back up musicians, they even introduce them to the crowd, and all mistakes by the stones are there for us all to hear.

if there is another band behind the curtain they should be sacked for not covering for the mistakes of everyone else who is on stage,

if they were going to have a back up band behind the curtain wouldnt it be more effective if they didnt have all these other back up musicians on stage making more mistakes.

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: December 20, 2019 00:46

I wonder if the guy behind the curtain will ever figure out that damn intro to Start me up!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 20, 2019 00:52

…. aaarrr maybe its the curtain and not the scarf …

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 20, 2019 14:48

I'm pretty sure Keith was "semi-conscious" for most of the 70's.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 20, 2019 15:37

dcba
RG

In 95 Jagger sued after a German newspaper claimed the band played to pre-recorded tapes, and he got big money. Fast-forward to 2019 the paper press is dying so Jagger won't bother ue for libel. He'd get pennies. grinning smiley

it was Der Spiegel (Germany's biggest/leading weekly news magazine). They had to apologize

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: December 20, 2019 18:12

The Stones do find ways of making Keith sounding noises in the spaces where Keith isn’t playing, but it’s not Blondie behind the curtain, it’s Chuck’s B3 or overdriven Wurly very much in front of the curtain. It’s not a secret.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 20, 2019 21:28

Such thin-skinned folks!! It is a FACT that Blondie played off-stage to " fill in" for Keith during his " semi-conscious period!". And I agree with TOMMYCHARLES, it's Chuck who does a lot of very clever configuring...which SOME PEOPLE hate to admit....I never could figure out why there's such pockets of hate directed at Chuck. If you're a real Stones fan you should be happy that Chuck adds such depth and real artistry to the band. Mick KNOWS and as long as Mick appreciates Chuck, he's staying in the band. I don't think anyone ever said there was an entire BAND backstage playing INSTEAD of the Stones. I do think there was more than just Blondie though....can anyone substantiate that? Who might the other musicians have been?

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 20, 2019 21:47

I see many in the audience playing out of tune air guitar and singing out of key.
This could create an illusion of distortion.smoking smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 20, 2019 21:47

Back-up singers, a brass section, a keyboard simulating guitars, basslines, and rhythm tracks is really quite enough.

Date: December 20, 2019 21:58

mickschix
Such thin-skinned folks!! It is a FACT that Blondie played off-stage to " fill in" for Keith during his " semi-conscious period!". And I agree with TOMMYCHARLES, it's Chuck who does a lot of very clever configuring...which SOME PEOPLE hate to admit....I never could figure out why there's such pockets of hate directed at Chuck. If you're a real Stones fan you should be happy that Chuck adds such depth and real artistry to the band. Mick KNOWS and as long as Mick appreciates Chuck, he's staying in the band. I don't think anyone ever said there was an entire BAND backstage playing INSTEAD of the Stones. I do think there was more than just Blondie though....can anyone substantiate that? Who might the other musicians have been?

No, it's not a fact that he was "filling in for Keith", rather a huge misconception.

What he did was play to make a fuller sound for the band. Never once did he play Keith's riffs, licks or solos.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 20, 2019 22:28

DandelionPowderman
mickschix

No, it's not a fact that he was "filling in for Keith", rather a huge misconception.

What he did was play to make a fuller sound for the band. Never once did he play Keith's riffs, licks or solos.

You're right DP. I once spoke with Blondie after a concert in the USA. It was about him adding additional chords to Jumping Jack Flash (front stage). He was surprised that I had noticed it. When he was backstage it merely was because of the stage image the Stones wanted around specific songs. Nothing secret or sneaky about it.
smileys with beer

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 20, 2019 22:51

I hardly (if at all) notice those extra chords, not by Blondie, not by anyone really (of course I can detect regular keyboards). One wonders how they would sound when you were to leave out Ron and Keith. Or the other way around.
More to the point: why would a band that has not one but two guitarplayers and, what, two keyboardists, not to mention horns and backup singers, need even more musicians to make the sound fuller? Yet, apparently, they do. But I think it's used only sparingly, because the guy is there already, so why not use him when he's not singing and put in the extra acoustic.
Of course the Biggest Bang version of UMT remains an all-time strange experience: the guitar part theme being played while Keith is messing with his shirt or whatever instead of playing. At least it is obviously not a Keith-SOUNDING guitar, maybe that is Chuck simulating a guitar?

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 21, 2019 01:13

Why couldn't he play " extra chords" to enhance the sound and additionally, play some of the more difficult Keith licks that were hard for Keith during his " recovery phase"?

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: December 21, 2019 01:39

There are stories about U2 doing it too

[forum.atu2.com]

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1958
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home