Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The first time Stones used screens?
Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: December 17, 2019 01:08

When was the first time The Stones used screens in a concert? Leeds-82 seemed to have one, but was that the first time? I don’t remember seeing any in LSTNT-movie.

Re: The first time Stones used screens?
Posted by: Milan ()
Date: December 17, 2019 02:49

Does Knebworth 1976 counts?

"The shows were projected on large video screens at the back of the site, which was nice move, although screens on either side of the stage would have been better ."

[www.ukrockfestivals.com]

"After a long wait the Stones came on and played a pretty good show, but once again those at the back could not hear very well and the video screens were out of sync with the music."

"The stage was a Stones' idea with the particular shape of the mouth with a tongue as well as the ideas of the clowns and topless girls in order to give a carnival atmosphere--- and we remember the big screen was for a better view."

[www.ukrockfestivals.com]

Posted by: sittinonafence ()
Date: December 17, 2019 06:08

I believe the first screens that were utilized were in 1975 at the Capital Center in Landover, MD. In-house video with images projected on a screen in the center of the arena. New Orleans 1978 also had screen. A poor-quality video circulates of the N.O. show. I also remember the Carrier Dome shows in Syracuse 1981 had a screen above the stage. Probably the Pontiac Silverdome 1981 shows also had screens. Not sure about the Seattle '81 shows that were earlier in the tour and were indoors. VideoJames may wish to weigh in here?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 17, 2019 08:37

Were there screens at the '75 L.A. shows? I think the poor quality boots that circulated for years were from the internal monitoring system, usually there for viewing sporting events at the Forum.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 17, 2019 09:55

...sun screen … Florida 1965 …

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 17, 2019 09:55

The quality of screens wasn't really up to the job prior to the VL tour, since when they've gradually become the focus of the stage design , big enough and bright enough to provide a satisfying experience for everybody in attendance.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 18, 2019 08:35

Spud
The quality of screens wasn't really up to the job prior to the VL tour,.

Nonsense.

I remember going to see them at Wembley long before that. There was a big screen above the stage and they started with it blank, and then between some (early) numbers Mick got it turned on and it was showing a TV channel broadcasting a football match (possible World Cup, but someone will know). After a few moments of that it was changed to a relay of the on-stage stuff.

And it was fine. (Alright, it may not have been 4k super HD OLED, but WTF it was a vast screen that helped us all to see the show much better!)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: December 18, 2019 10:47

Accepted ...

...But in those days they were an afterthought."...lets have a big screen for the benefit of the poor buggers who can't see very much.

Now they are an integral part of the whole stage design and show.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 18, 2019 11:42

There was some discussion about a screen in Washington, 1972. Was that ever confirmed?

Mathijs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 18, 2019 11:45

(see below)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-18 15:31 by dcba.

Date: December 18, 2019 12:03

Thanks to the irremplacable Harold Colson we know that for the Akron'72 gig a videoscreen was displayed.
"Akron Beacon Journal: “A most welcome part of the spectacle was the two huge screens, one on either side of the stage, which provided close-up video projections of the performance"
[stoneslib6.homestead.com]

And it prompted the rumour that a video of the whole exists... but it seems that no recording device was there to preserve the flux of images. Which may not be a big loss as the Akron gig was a bit clunky (the 1st half anyway...)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-18 12:11 by dcba.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: December 18, 2019 12:44

dcba
Acc. to the note/comment that came with the Akron'72 aud tape a screen was used at that show.
And it prompted the rumour that a video of the whole exists.

I guess the next question is: when did they start saving the screen footage as a rule and not an exception?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 18, 2019 14:30

Spud
The quality of screens wasn't really up to the job prior to the VL tour, since when they've gradually become the focus of the stage design , big enough and bright enough to provide a satisfying experience for everybody in attendance.

I actually think SW tour screens were pretty good.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: December 18, 2019 14:44

I attended the Urban Jungle variant of that tour in Manchester.

I don't recall much about the screen arrangements other than that the brightness was inadequate until it got dark.

I didn't have a very close to the stage position and if the screens had been better I'd likely have spent more time looking at them.

Maybe they were fine and it's just my dodgy memory grinning smiley

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 18, 2019 14:59

Spud
I attended the Urban Jungle variant of that tour in Manchester.

I don't recall much about the screen arrangements other than that the brightness was inadequate until it got dark.

I didn't have a very close to the stage position and if the screens had been better I'd likely have spent more time looking at them.

Maybe they were fine and it's just my dodgy memory grinning smiley

I was at the 2nd last night of the tour at Wembley (24th August 1990, my 1st ever Stones show), which used the Steel Wheels Stage Set. Definitely screens there and a lot of the footage from that show was used in the 'At the Max' film.

On topic, I'm pretty sure the 1st tour when screens were routinely used was the 81/82 Tour, with occasional use prior to that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-18 15:01 by grzegorz67.

Date: December 18, 2019 15:06

mosthigh

I guess the next question is: when did they start saving the screen footage as a rule and not an exception?

1981?

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: December 18, 2019 15:19

CaptainCorella
Spud

Nonsense.

I remember going to see them at Wembley long before that. There was a big screen above the stage and they started with it blank, and then between some (early) numbers Mick got it turned on and it was showing a TV channel broadcasting a football match (possible World Cup, but someone will know). After a few moments of that it was changed to a relay of the on-stage stuff.

And it was fine. (Alright, it may not have been 4k super HD OLED, but WTF it was a vast screen that helped us all to see the show much better!)

That was 25 June 1982. There was a "Let's switch the tele on ... England's one goal against Kuwait" from Mick and the rest of the show was on screen. I was at Newcastle on 23 June but I do not remember a screen there.

Date: December 18, 2019 15:36

Mathijs
There was some discussion about a screen in Washington, 1972. Was that ever confirmed?

Mathijs

On Colson's site press clippings from that era don't mention screens.
My guess is Jagger, witnessing riots during the D.C. show, wanted to avoid the same thing to happen at the Akron gig (the 2nd outside gig of the tour in a huge open venue) hastily decided video screens would be arranged so everyone could enjoy the show.

Posted by: northernale1 ()
Date: December 18, 2019 19:13

dcba
mosthigh

1981?

in 1981 they were consistently used with night shows,, as another poster had said about 3 songs in Jagger would ask to have it turned on , and it would flick through virtual different channels,until it came onto their performance

again back then it was not part of the stage per say, just more of a after thought

this is going back a bit, but in Detroit im remembering there was more than one screen, however the main one was dead center above the band

in buffalo was a afternoon show, no screen, but hell there was much left of the stage dressing either with all the wind that day

Date: December 18, 2019 23:18

Spud
Accepted ...

...But in those days they were an afterthought."...lets have a big screen for the benefit of the poor buggers who can't see very much.

Now they are an integral part of the whole stage design and show.

Accepted....

I guess that the next thing will be to project the video images to everyone's smart phones so that they can all sit zombie like looking at their phones instead of the real world around them!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: December 18, 2019 23:21

Valeswood
CaptainCorella
Spud

Nonsense.

That was 25 June 1982. There was a "Let's switch the tele on ... England's one goal against Kuwait" from Mick and the rest of the show was on screen. I was at Newcastle on 23 June but I do not remember a screen there.

LOL! Doncha LOVE this place. I mention an event, and someone has the exact date and dialogue!

Much kudos to Valeswood

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: December 19, 2019 08:06

Mathijs

Mathijs

I attended that show and there were No screens used at the July 4th RFK stadium gig. I filmed that show from the audience, I had shot about 35 -40 min color, but sadly toward the end of the show someone stole my duffle bag with my camera and all the reels of film. I never got them back. I got another camera later and was able film the Boston, Philly and New York shows and was able to hold on to the camera and films.
Note: Besides Stevie Wonder as an opening act that day
Gospel artist Dorothy Ellisgroup opened the show.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 19, 2019 08:53

Rockman
...sun screen … Florida 1965 …

Brilliant - tho it dont look like it helped Keith's complexion!

Rod

Date: December 19, 2019 10:24

VideoJames

I attended that show and there were No screens used at the July 4th RFK stadium gig. I filmed that show from the audience, I had shot about 35 -40 min color, but sadly toward the end of the show someone stole my duffle bag with my camera and all the reels of film. I never got them back. I got another camera later and was able film the Boston, Philly and New York shows and was able to hold on to the camera and films.

Wow... I guess you used an 8mm camera? Or was it (ô surprise!) 16mm?

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 19, 2019 14:33

When did the Stones first use screens? When they first smoked hash in a pipe, Morocco 1967.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-19 14:34 by ab.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 20, 2019 17:44

When they just couldn't brush off them flies.smiling smiley

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: December 21, 2019 12:42

This is a question for Ronnie Schneider - in his book he shows the original stage designs for the 1970 European tour and in one of the pictures it looks as though there was a plan to have a screen behind the stage - Ronnie do you know if this was something that was being considered? Don't know if the technology existed back then?

Wasn't there also a screen (CCTV) at Oakland in 1969 (or maybe LA) - I remember it being mentioned in Stanley Booth's book.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: December 27, 2019 17:54

Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle was the first tour where the giant screens were a standard part of the show. However, as Spud pointed out, prior to VL, the screens were not part of the main attraction, as they were somewhat small compared to the ones we now all know and love. The SW/UJ tours featured two video screens measuring 18ft x 24ft flanking the left and right sides or the stage. (source: [www.sun-sentinel.com])

As for the video screens prior to Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle, along with the aforementioend shows in Akron (1972 tour) and Knebworth in 1976, it appears they started using closed-circuit TV screens in 1972, and then gradually moved into more prominate usage in 1981/1982.

News clippings and pictures show screens to have been used at the following shows between 1972-1982. I'm including the Capital Centre shows in Landover (Washington) from the 1975 and 1981 tours only as a possibility, as this arena was well known for using their then state-of-the-art video screen during rock concerts and recording them as well. (source: [www.vhnd.com]). No footage of the Stones shows have surfaced (of course, the New Barbarians '79 show has officially been released thanks to this system at the Captial Centre)

1972 tour
Long Beach Arena, Long Beach
LA Forum, Inglewood (Los Angeles) (one or both shows)
San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego

sources:
[stoneslib2.homestead.com]

1975 tour
Landover, MD (Washington, DC)? (uncertain, but possible)

1978 tour
Superdome, New Orleans

source:
[www.theadvocate.com]

1981 tour
Kingdome, Seattle (both shows)
Astrodome, Houston (both shows)
Silverdome, Pontiac (first show)
Superdome, New Orleans
Capital Centre, Landover, MD (Washington DC)? (uncertain, but possible)

note: I don't know if the video screen was used at the Cedar Falls and Syracuse concerts, as I haven't yet found any pics from those shows of the stage showing the video screen. I think the footage that has turned up are from news cameras.

sources:

[www.rockinhouston.com]

[www.theadvocate.com]

[2.bp.blogspot.com]

[thorogood5050tour.wordpress.com]

[blogs.pjstar.com]

[wdet.org]

Wembley Stadium, London (both shows)
Roundhay Park, Leeds

If I missed any others, please add them.

Note: check out the pics from the New Orleans concerts in 1978 and 1981: it looks like they used the venue's main video screen hanging from the roof as their showpiece!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-28 13:19 by stevecardi.

Date: December 27, 2019 18:27

The screens at Roundhay Park were next to useless .
The day was very bright and sunny...with the daylight swamping the screens for almost the whole time.

Date: December 27, 2019 18:32

Spud
The screens at Roundhay Park were next to useless .
The day was very bright and sunny...with the daylight swamping the screens for almost the whole time.

And now we know what was on them. Pretty spaced-out camera work grinning smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2126
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home