Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The1972 Tour Video
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 16, 2019 22:28

Does anyone know if the Dick Cavett Show filmed the entire July 24,early show at Madison SquareGarden,and not just the opening and closing numbers? Logic would dictate they filmed the entire show.Also , the evening show must have also been filmed because of the video from CS Blues of the Uptite /Satisfaction medley.It would be a shame if these videos are just rotting away in some television studio,since IMO the garden shows were the best of that magnificent tour

Re: The1972 Tour Video
Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: December 16, 2019 23:49

Nahh, who cares about Stones at the peak?
Seriously, It's hard to tell if it was filmed. Also, if it was, the film can be lost...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-17 01:12 by S.T.P.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 17, 2019 04:21

I think u should edit the subject line of this thread to specifically mention Cavett footage so anyone with knowledge may be more likely to respond. I would like to know too.

plexi

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: December 17, 2019 04:46

Taylor1
Does anyone know if the Dick Cavett Show filmed the entire July 24,early show at Madison SquareGarden,and not just the opening and closing numbers? Logic would dictate they filmed the entire show.

Why would logic dictate they filmed the entire concert when they knew they would only be broadcasting a small piece for the Dick Cavett Show? Film was expensive and the performance was not the focal point of the segment, the interview with Mick was. My guess is they only filmed a few minutes of footage or various songs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-18 01:10 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: December 17, 2019 06:43

I believe it was the July 26th show which was filmed - Mick’s birthday. Probably
just a couple songs for the reasons stated above. Were the soundboard songs
from the boot “Welcome to New York” from a radio broadcast?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 17, 2019 08:35

Taylor1
Does anyone know if the Dick Cavett Show filmed the entire July 24,early show at Madison SquareGarden,and not just the opening and closing numbers? Logic would dictate they filmed the entire show.Also , the evening show must have also been filmed because of the video from CS Blues of the Uptite /Satisfaction medley.It would be a shame if these videos are just rotting away in some television studio,since IMO the garden shows were the best of that magnificent tour

It's not logical at all, taking the 1972 technology of filming in mind. Hand held camera's held about 6 minutes of tape, and reloading took 10 minutes. So the number of songs and which songs to be shot was decided beforehand.

This is also the reason they did not film an entire MSG 1969 show, but only parts, and the reason why the footage of L&G switches from show to show, even within songs.

Mathijs

Date: December 17, 2019 13:12

But I doubt the Dick Cavett cameraman would know to stop filming after Brown Sugar and immediately begin filming when Street Fightingman began because I don’t think he would have known the set list that well or was told to do it it that way by the producer.Also,on the original Cavett show,there is a commercial break with a clip of Jagger dancing on stage with a recorded over Monkey Man which isnot him from either Brown Sugar or Street Fighting Man .And in CS Blues,the movie at the end there is a performance of Street Fighting Man from one of the other garden shows spliced together with the Ladies and Gentleman one .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-17 13:16 by Taylor1.

Date: December 17, 2019 13:15

Taylor1
But I doubt the Dick Cavett cameraman would know to stop filming after Brown Sugar and immediately begin filming when Street Fightingman

That's why you have floor managers for these kind of productions...

Mathijs

Date: December 17, 2019 13:22

Okay, but it seems kind of difficult for the floor guy to immediately time it so the cameraman begins filming again right when Street Fighting Man starts up.Also why then just film the Monkey Man snippet and the other SFM.Also ,there is additional film of the two Micks getting in a limo.after the show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-17 13:24 by Taylor1.

Date: December 17, 2019 13:29

Taylor1
Okay, but it seems kind of difficult for the floor guy to immediately time it so the cameraman begins filming again right when Street Fighting Man starts up.Also why then just film the Monkey Man snippet and the other SFM.Also ,there is additional film of the two Micks getting in a limo.after the show.

Perhaps they filmed 30 seconds more or so, and edited it later. The most likely scenario, imo.

Date: December 17, 2019 13:34

But it appears to have been professionally filmed because on Street Fighting Man and the Monkey Man snippet,there are multiple cameras ,from the front and back.So how would the different cameraman be able to time their filming by starting and stopping at the same time?The Monkey Man snippet appears to be All Down The Line,because Taylor is playing slide.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 17, 2019 13:38

This film most likely exists in Madison Square Garden Vaults . If its in its entirety it is even more valuable !

Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: December 18, 2019 00:27

Maybe VideoJames can give us some insights what was filmed in 1972? Same goes for 1973. We know the BBC filmed one of the Wembley shows.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 18, 2019 03:30

TheGreek
This film most likely exists in Madison Square Garden Vaults . If its in its entirety it is even more valuable !

Madison Square Garden Vaults?? Explain.

plexi

Date: December 18, 2019 09:25

Taylor1
But it appears to have been professionally filmed because on Street Fighting Man and the Monkey Man snippet,there are multiple cameras ,from the front and back.So how would the different cameraman be able to time their filming by starting and stopping at the same time?The Monkey Man snippet appears to be All Down The Line,because Taylor is playing slide.

Because all camera man wear earphones and start filming at the sound of the scoreboard or click-track to align images and sound. The editing is done later in the editing room.

Mathijs

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 20, 2019 15:38

Taylor1

There's an almost-complete MSG show available on bootleg. Very different camera angles and the quality is pretty crap but it came from somewhere. So, yes, there may indeed by a complete MSG show lurking on a shelf somewhere.

Date: December 21, 2019 23:12

Mathijs
['s not logical at all, taking the 1972 technology of filming in mind. Hand held camera's held about 6 minutes of tape, and reloading took 10 minutes. So the number of songs and which songs to be shot was decided beforehand.

Mathijs

There are quite a few Tour de France early 7-tees climbing stages with Eddy Merckx, Joop Zoetemelk etc on youtube that where broadcasted 'en direct' from one or two isolated motorcycles with camera men on the backseat, 45 minutes or more, without interruption. I have seen several at the time, as I'm a big cycle fan myself from an early age on.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: December 22, 2019 00:51

[/quote]It's not logical at all, taking the 1972 technology of filming in mind. Hand held camera's held about 6 minutes of tape, and reloading took 10 minutes. So the number of songs and which songs to be shot was decided beforehand.

This is also the reason they did not film an entire MSG 1969 show, but only parts, and the reason why the footage of L&G switches from show to show, even within songs.

Mathijs[/quote]

There absolutely IS complete video of one of the MSG 69 shows. Albert Maysles held a viewing party/dinner at his house about 10 years ago for select Shidoobee members including Stonesdoug. I'll edit this post later when I can find more specific info, but I'm 100% sure it exists and was shown at this event.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-22 00:53 by shawnriffhard1.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1419
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home