Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Rethinking "England Lost"
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 13, 2019 10:18

I put this as "OT" since 'this is no Stones', right?

Of Jagger's 'Brexit single' I have always regarded "Get A Grip" as a stronger tune, but lately I've been listening more to "England Lost". I especially didn't realize, until now, what a brilliant the video of it is.

[www.youtube.com]

Shit, it (both the song and the video) captures the vibe of an Englishman so well at the moment. How damn confused one is. Lyrically, typical to Mick, it didn't fingerpoint anything directly, but just gives hints open to different interpretations. Mick's too clever and experienced to give any easy answers or stances. Probably due to our age, political climate and rhetorics that kind of more intellectual and existential reflection do not resonate with our sentiments. Probably that's why it didn't get much attention at the time. Musically, the whole thing supports the confused, insecure feeling - a beautiful, esoteric landscape Mick paints us, full of interesting little musical choices and ideas. Every little nuance is well-thought, the old principle of 'less is more' is well used. And it also sounds unlike anything he ever has done (although there are some familiar moments we associate with Mick, such as his rap-talk and the harmonica). This is Mick at his most experimental. I sense there a bit of spirit of his friend David Bowie.

An interesting sudden touch of muse the whole single was. Very rarely on can feel Mick doing something out of pure artistic expression. I get the feeling that this one surely is one of those moments. Jagger had something to say and he wanted to get that out of his system (and not even Keith's veto stopped him). Isn't that what 'art' is all about? Besides, the single came out of the blue at at the time, without any big notice or fuss. The guy himself didn't promote the whole thing almost at all. Just the songs and videos out, no need for Pete Townshend-like commentary of 'what is to be artist' and all that crap.

A little latter-day career highlight for Mick Jagger.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-13 10:29 by Doxa.

Re: OT: Rethinking "England Lost"
Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: December 13, 2019 10:23

I agree. I like this track. And for sure, England is lost.

Date: December 13, 2019 10:39

I'd say this definitely is on topic smiling smiley

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: December 13, 2019 10:44

Could get political... but it's an explicitly political song so what can you do?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 13, 2019 11:01

DandelionPowderman
I'd say this definitely is on topic smiling smiley

grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: December 13, 2019 12:15

I like both sides of this single too. Don't understand all the negativity here. The same goes for Streets Of Love. One of the few songs I never skip on Grrr.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: December 13, 2019 12:23

vertigojoe

Time will tell...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 13, 2019 12:42

It’s on topic. It’s a rubbish song though, unfortunately.

Rod

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: December 13, 2019 13:31

I thought almost everything Jagger do is OT?Especially on this sites.Sometimes i was wondering if he was a member of The Stones.If reading what Keith,s fans in here say,they never need Jagger,since Keith has written all the songs,and Jaggers voice totally ruins almost every song he,s singing on.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: December 13, 2019 14:31

bitusa2012
It’s on topic. It’s a rubbish song though, unfortunately.

Agree; it may be one of the worst songs I've heard.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 13, 2019 14:46

....yeah I like the Bowie nod and wink...i like the funkiness more....nice attempt by Mick to take it forward and still stick to his roots...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 13, 2019 17:19

vertigojoe

After this morning’s result, I would say we’re a nation singing from hymn sheet, actually!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 13, 2019 18:02

Wild Slivovitz
vertigojoe

Time will tell...

A wise remark. The future is open, and it remains to be seen who's lost - England or the EU.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: December 13, 2019 18:03

First time I've ever heard it. Quite good and nice harmonica part. Is it really meant as an anti Brexit song? Mick is usually non-committal politically

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 13, 2019 18:06

Reminds me that the Kinks released Arthur 50 years ago.

Date: December 13, 2019 18:13

Doxa
I put this as "OT" since 'this is no Stones', right?

Of Jagger's 'Brexit single' I have always regarded "Get A Grip" as a stronger tune, but lately I've been listening more to "England Lost". I especially didn't realize, until now, what a brilliant the video of it is.

[www.youtube.com]

Shit, it (both the song and the video) captures the vibe of an Englishman so well at the moment. How damn confused one is. Lyrically, typical to Mick, it didn't fingerpoint anything directly, but just gives hints open to different interpretations. Mick's too clever and experienced to give any easy answers or stances. Probably due to our age, political climate and rhetorics that kind of more intellectual and existential reflection do not resonate with our sentiments. Probably that's why it didn't get much attention at the time. Musically, the whole thing supports the confused, insecure feeling - a beautiful, esoteric landscape Mick paints us, full of interesting little musical choices and ideas. Every little nuance is well-thought, the old principle of 'less is more' is well used. And it also sounds unlike anything he ever has done (although there are some familiar moments we associate with Mick, such as his rap-talk and the harmonica). This is Mick at his most experimental. I sense there a bit of spirit of his friend David Bowie.

An interesting sudden touch of muse the whole single was. Very rarely on can feel Mick doing something out of pure artistic expression. I get the feeling that this one surely is one of those moments. Jagger had something to say and he wanted to get that out of his system (and not even Keith's veto stopped him). Isn't that what 'art' is all about? Besides, the single came out of the blue at at the time, without any big notice or fuss. The guy himself didn't promote the whole thing almost at all. Just the songs and videos out, no need for Pete Townshend-like commentary of 'what is to be artist' and all that crap.

A little latter-day career highlight for Mick Jagger.

- Doxa

I can totally relate to this, Doxa. Musically, I liked both tunes right from the start (far better than any millionth boring re-write of classic Stones tunes), but because of the general vibe and dark atmosphere I considered England Lost a slight notch above GGAG right from the start.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 13, 2019 18:16

Horrible song

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 13, 2019 18:26

Musically the song is not bad, for sure there are ideas I've already heard in other songs (Rain fall down the most obvious), but over all it works.

The hook in the melody line is not one of his strongest, as a result the song doesn't stick in the head.

Lyrics I don't quite understand what he is raving about, but I rarely do.

Vocals are good, they seem sincere.

C

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 13, 2019 18:44

I thought both songs were agreeable, not great but certainly not bad either. Right away I liked England Lost a bit better than Get A Grip.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 13, 2019 18:48

KRiffhard
Horrible song

Mick should have rethought it prior to releasing it. Instead of sounding like a children's nursery rhyme done in noisy rap style, he could have made it much more listenable.
That said, far from the worst tune in the history of Stonesland, but I'd probably enjoy it more as an instrumental...it's very noisy and claustrophobic (maybe that's the point), but the harmonica is nice.

Date: December 13, 2019 18:55

There's no rap on my single I don't think. I figure I would know, because if there's one thing I profoundly hate in today's music, it's rap.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 13, 2019 18:57

harlem shuffle
I thought almost everything Jagger do is OT?Especially on this sites.Sometimes i was wondering if he was a member of The Stones.If reading what Keith,s fans in here say,they never need Jagger,since Keith has written all the songs,and Jaggers voice totally ruins almost every song he,s singing on.

Ever thought about leaving iorr since you always make zero sense and don't understand anything?

Date: December 13, 2019 18:59

Now, now...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 13, 2019 18:59

It's got some funny moments in it that are remindful of his bit in Too Much Blood - quite entertaining.

Of the 2 tracks he released, this one is genius compared to the other Let's Work 2.

Date: December 13, 2019 19:00

Guess I'll actually have to go and listen to it again...(sigh).

Edit: Just played my single (the regular 3:53 minute version), and I wouldn't call that rap, really. Or else JJF is rap, too, and Alice Cooper and Ray Davies are rappers smiling smiley Mick has always had a sort of declamatory style of singing, as so many other popular artists, who obviously are no Jessye Normans or Thomas Hampsons, have.
Btw, do people realize that Charlie is the drummer (on both songs), even?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-13 19:18 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 13, 2019 20:07

Have to listen again, from what i remember, both were total crap.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 13, 2019 20:13

LeonidP

You remember well!!

Date: December 13, 2019 20:30

KRiffhard
LeonidP

You remember well!!

My opinion is totally opposite, but as a good democrat I will always fight for your right to voice yours.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 13, 2019 20:52

Big Al
vertigojoe

After this morning’s result, I would say we’re a nation singing from hymn sheet, actually!

Really? I think Mick's frustration is realistic. First the voters give the Tori's a blow in the face (May's downfall) and now they put Boris on a platform so high, that one wrong move will splash him ... and England. Both are a result of deeply rooted frustration. It hurts to say this, being a warm hearted Anglofile.
I remember 1971 (living in Liverpool). England was total disaster (almost an understatement) and only survived by joining the EEC. The Stones going to France that same year could be a coincidence, but was it?
Best of luck!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 13, 2019 21:24

georgie48
Big Al
vertigojoe

Really? I think Mick's frustration is realistic. First the voters give the Tori's a blow in the face (May's downfall) and now they put Boris on a platform so high, that one wrong move will splash him ... and England. Both are a result of deeply rooted frustration. It hurts to say this, being a warm hearted Anglofile.
I remember 1971 (living in Liverpool). England was total disaster (almost an understatement) and only survived by joining the EEC. The Stones going to France that same year could be a coincidence, but was it?
Best of luck!

The Stones went to France because they were unwilling (unlike some of their contempories) to pay UK tax. So they became tax exiles...a very bourgeois thing to do. When you think of the chums that Mick and Keith hung out with (pseudo Aristocrats etc) I've always thought his Politics were broadly right of centre.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2058
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home