Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sticky Fingers Journal?
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 10, 2019 23:54

I was wondering if anyone here could fill me in on whatever happened to the SFJ publication? I used to buy it/subscribe to it for a long time but then it kinda disappeared. I don't recall if my sub ran out or what. But I really used to enjoy it and its concentration on new ROIO (is that term used anymore? "Recordings of Illegitimate Origin") releases and the active trading that sprang from it. I collected up at least a couple hundred boots I never would have even known about without it. Some great writing in there occasionally too, both reviews and retrospectives on the Stones and their live appearances.

Any responses appreciated!

one love
jb

Re: Sticky Fingers Journal?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 11, 2019 00:02

Yeah bought all copies of Sticky Fingers …..
John Carr put them out for about five years
then there was a fire at his home and later john had health problems ….

Nothing after that

ROCKMAN

Date: December 11, 2019 00:34

yes John Carr, was trying to recall that name. Sorry to hear of his misfortunes, hope he is over them now. Really was a nice publication and I sorely miss it. Honestly, this current forum is some kind of replacement for it, though I haven't been here in years and maybe never posted before this past week or so. Altamont anniversary did it for me, got me back into whats happening on Stones planet. There was some usenet group a long time ago that I was participating in, I am sure that is long gone as well...maybe this current forum is somehow related?

different subject, I went to see the stones in 07 in Copenhagen, with my friend Toots Hibbert opening for them. Thought some might like to see a couple photos, and it lets me test the photo posting here.

My friend Kelly with Keiths guitar tech:

Keiths rig:

It was a fun few days. The Stones really know how to put on a party.

View through the stacks

Mick remains aloof while Keith and Woody mingle

one love
jb

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 11, 2019 00:54

Yep some good stuff in there, I didn't know the publisher's name, he was known as Skippy right ? Doesn't he post here now under another UserID ?

Was the newsgoup UC (Undercover) ? I'm not sure now but it was a "mailing list" for sure run by Steve P. Some great stuff on there including Chris M's reviews of the stunning "Voodoo Brew" (and later Stew and Residue) !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: December 11, 2019 01:07

I think Skippy was a main writer or maybe editor while John Carr was more like the publisher, and frequent contributor. I could be confused about that but that's how I recall it.

Yeah Undercover may have been the other thing I was thinking of. Had to buy Voodoo Brew and a bunch others just because of what I read about them one of those places.

I think there was also something called rec.music.rollingstones or close that was a newsgroup in that early computer format.

one love
jb

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 11, 2019 12:36

Sticky Fingers Journal was online. Sticky Fingers magazine was hard copy. Great stuff! I looked forward to both. Sorry to them go. I heard they had a Sticky Fingers band too.

I heard John Carr had health problems. Never heard about him again.

[www.worthpoint.com]

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 11, 2019 12:38

MORE: [iorr.org]

Date: December 11, 2019 15:31

I think Skippy got to ask a question at the press conference announcing the B2B tour.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 11, 2019 16:24

I liked the magazines as well. Still have them.
The last 2 issues were already a bit cheap.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 11, 2019 17:18

It was a nice little fanzine but what I found questionable was the constant krypto promotion for the titles of the "sister morphine" boots.
Basically SM was a knock-off label : they'd duplicate/steal titles from other labels, "remaster" them awfully, then someone in "Sticky Fingers Journal" would rate the dubious result as "best ever version". grinning smiley

I'd bet my left hand the boss of this label was not entirely independant from the staff of "Sticky Fingers Journal".

Posted by: NathanLaze ()
Date: December 11, 2019 19:59

i was a SFJ e-mail subscriber in 2005-06. guess it's last online issue came in november 2006, and some time after that i've read somewhere that SFJ editor had passed away (??) losing a battle with cancer. i truly hope that i am very wrong...

Date: December 11, 2019 20:13

yeah I forgot about the online version and got the titles swapped around.

Funny about that Sister Morphine label, I had the exact same impression, although I didn't think anyone at the publication was actually involved with the label, I suspected some payola might be involved.

I miss the magazine myself, although I figured they just ran out of things to say after a while. It was a fairly low point for the Stones imo, with endless boots that varied little between them.

jb

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: December 11, 2019 20:32

NathanLaze
i was a SFJ e-mail subscriber in 2005-06. guess it's last online issue came in november 2006, and some time after that i've read somewhere that SFJ editor had passed away (??) losing a battle with cancer. i truly hope that i am very wrong...

The SFJ editor (Skippy) did not die from cancer, but his wife did. After that he had the burden of raising his children alone which left little time for other things. Also, in the 5 years between the end of the ABB tour and the 50 And Counting tour there was so little activity in Stones world it was difficult to put together a magazine without simply rehashing old stories and album reviews.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-12 05:56 by TornAndFried.

Date: December 12, 2019 02:44

I loved the SF magazine. To me it wasn't even about the opinions so much. I could agree or disagree. But it was the last hard, real fanzine for me.

And I knew the main guy from SM well. As far as I know there were no shady connections. I have a lot of respect for all the guys who ran those 'zines, and the last of the CD era boot labels.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: December 12, 2019 05:18

He posts here doesn't he?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 12, 2019 17:38

So I've heard...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2063
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home