Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
"Highwire/Sex Drive" sessions
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 9, 2019 11:18

How many songs did they record during those sessions? Only the two songs published on Flashpoint?

Re: "Highwire/Sex Drive" sessions
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 9, 2019 12:11

Hope there's more like Highwire. Love that one.

Date: December 9, 2019 12:25

frankotero
Hope there's more like Highwire. Love that one.

thumbs up

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 9, 2019 13:19

Not according to Zentgraf.

910107A 7th - 18th January: London, Hit Factory Studios. Producers: The Glimmer
Twins & Chris Kimsey. Sound engineer: Mark Stent. Incl.
- Highwire I (MJ/KR) -Bernard Fowler on backing vocals; Flashpoint-version
- Highwire II (MJ/KR) -Bernard Fowler on backing vocals; single-edit
- Sex Drive I (MJ/KR) -The Kick Horns on brass, Tessa Niles and Katie
Kissoon on backing vocals; Flashpoint version
- Sex Drive II (MJ/KR) -The Kick Horns on brass, Tessa Niles and Katie
Kissoon on backing vocals; single-edit
- Sex Drive III (MJ/KR) -The Kick Horns on brass, Tessa Niles and Katie
Kissoon on backing vocals; Club Version/12” Mix
- Sex Drive IV (MJ/KR) -The Kick Horns on brass, Tessa Niles and Katie
Kissoon on backing vocals; Club Version Edit
- Sex Drive V (MJ/KR) -The Kick Horns on brass, Tessa Niles and Katie
Kissoon on backing vocals; Dirty Hands Mix
- Sex Drive VI (MJ/KR) -The Kick Horns on brass, Tessa Niles and Katie
Kissoon on backing vocals; Dirty Hands Mix (2013 extended remix of V)
Note: RW attended the sessions only from 7th - 11th January.

[www.nzentgraf.de]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: December 9, 2019 13:41

Deltics

[www.nzentgraf.de]

...and so only two songs like the Paris sessions for "Doom and Gloom/One More Shot"!

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: December 9, 2019 16:39

KRiffhard
Deltics

[www.nzentgraf.de]

...and so only two songs like the Paris sessions for "Doom and Gloom/One More Shot"!

Was Bill present at these sessions?
He only appeared in the Sex Drive promovideo, God knows why.....:-) and was not present in the Highwire promovideo as far as I can remember and I can't find it on YT for checking. Who knows?

Mr.Fancyman

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 9, 2019 16:40

KRiffhard

Yes Mick wanted to get out of the studio asap.He was far more interested in casting girls for the "Sex Drive" video... [JOKE!]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-09 23:32 by dcba.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 9, 2019 17:26

Oddly enough it was Keith who left the recording sessions early since he was booked to work with Johnnie Johnson in New York where he would cut "Key to the Highway" and "Tanqueray" the same month as the Stones sessions in London. Mick and Chris Kimsey stayed behind to oversee mixing with Spike Stent.

Mick's shooting schedule for FREEJACK worked around his band commitment to shoot the "Highwire" video in early March. Bill did not show up for it just as he would later decline to sign the Virgin contract in the Autumn. Bill did show for the "Sex Drive" video in London at the end of May. It is unlikely Julien Temple was casting girls for the video in January.

As for the initial question, it is unconfirmed if there were any other ideas worked on at these recording sessions. I've heard a rumor of a Steel Wheels outtake being finished up at the sessions (or possibly in 1990), but I have not been able to confirm it with anyone reliable.

As for the "Doom and Gloom" and "One More Shot" sessions, other songs were tried and rejected. The Stones and Don Was also logged studio time in May and June in both New Jersey and New York so these were not tossed off out of the blue when the sessions in France took place in August.

Date: December 9, 2019 17:48

Rocky Dijon
Oddly enough it was Keith who left the recording sessions early since he was booked to work with Johnnie Johnson in New York where he would cut "Key to the Highway" and "Tanqueray" the same month as the Stones sessions in London. Mick and Chris Kimsey stayed behind to oversee mixing with Spike Stent.

Mick's shooting schedule for FREEJACK worked around his band commitment to shoot the "Highwire" video in early March. Bill did not show up for it just as he would later decline to sign the Virgin contract in the Autumn. Bill did show for the "Sex Drive" video in London at the end of May. It is unlikely Julien Temple was casting girls for the video in January.

As for the initial question, it is unconfirmed if there were any other ideas worked on at these recording sessions. I've heard a rumor of a Steel Wheels outtake being finished up at the sessions (or possibly in 1990), but I have not been able to confirm it with anyone reliable.

As for the "Doom and Gloom" and "One More Shot" sessions, other songs were tried and rejected. The Stones and Don Was also logged studio time in May and June in both New Jersey and New York so these were not tossed off out of the blue when the sessions in France took place in August.

Hi Rocky, it’s always nice to read your comments thumbs up
I’ve always wondered if "Highwire" and "Sex Drive" are both Mick’s songs or like "Doom and Gloom" (Mick) and One More Shot (Keith)...

Date: December 9, 2019 18:06

Well they certainly both started with Mick. His playing the opening riff is a dead certain sign with "Highwire." Somewhere in my head, I thought Mick stated in 1991 that "Highwire" was built up from an unfinished song from PRIMITIVE COOL. The lyrical quote from "Get Up, Stand Up" is likely Keith's doing (likewise the decision to bring Spike Stent in, given his Marley connection). The middle bit with the three guitars is a nice call back to "Whip Comes Down" and "Just My Imagination."

As for "Sex Drive," it's an obvious tip of the hat to "Sex Machine" which Mick was playing a lot in 1987 and 1988 at rehearsals and the like starting with the Jeff Beck gig at The Country Club. It's also on Mick's tour rehearsals with Satriani and Jimmy Rip including Mick and Bernard challenging one another to suck each other off. Notable for Bernard standing up to Mick, but the experience of actually hearing the exchange go on is not for the faint of heart. Somewhere there's a TV interview with Charlie where he explains they rehearsed "Sex Machine" in 1990 and then Mick and Keith went off and wrote "Sex Drive." Charlie says Mick wrote the lyrics and the band came up with a variation of "Sex Machine" which is then credited to Keith. Charlie laughs and says, "They ripped us off, like always."

For what it's worth, Mick and Jerry and the kids and Keith and Patti and the kids stayed at Clapton's place in Antigua for the holidays in 1990. They had just finished mixing the live tracks for FLASHPOINT (then a double album) and between the holidays, they wrote the two songs. That's the story anyhow. They at least booked studio time in January and knew what they were cutting. Contractually, they committed to CBS (then Sony) to have two new singles and music videos if they released a live album or greatest hits or other compilation. These were the days when Kimsey was expecting to produce WANDERING SPIRIT. It all changed quickly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-09 18:13 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: December 9, 2019 18:20

Rocky Dijon
Well they certainly both started with Mick. His playing the opening riff is a dead certain sign with "Highwire." Somewhere in my head, I thought Mick stated in 1991 that "Highwire" was built up from an unfinished song from PRIMITIVE COOL. The lyrical quote from "Get Up, Stand Up" is likely Keith's doing (likewise the decision to bring Spike Stent in, given his Marley connection). The middle bit with the three guitars is a nice call back to "Whip Comes Down" and "Just My Imagination."

As for "Sex Drive," it's an obvious tip of the hat to "Sex Machine" which Mick was playing a lot in 1987 and 1988 at rehearsals and the like starting with the Jeff Beck gig at The Country Club. It's also on Mick's tour rehearsals with Satriani and Jimmy Rip including Mick and Bernard challenging one another to suck each other off. Notable for Bernard standing up to Mick, but the experience of actually hearing the exchange go on is not for the faint of heart. Somewhere there's a TV interview with Charlie where he explains they rehearsed "Sex Machine" in 1990 and then Mick and Keith went off and wrote "Sex Drive." Charlie says Mick wrote the lyrics and the band came up with a variation of "Sex Machine" which is then credited to Keith. Charlie laughs and says, "They ripped us off, like always."

I think it’s possible that "Highwire" goes back to 'Primitive Cool' sessions. I always thought it would be a perfect song for Steel Wheels, a great 2nd single after Mixed Emotions!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 9, 2019 19:18

Actually I remember reading a short article in RS in early 1991 (I even remember WHERE I read it, hehe) and it quoted Mick as saying that the riff for Highwire was something he had hanging around from the Steel Wheels sessions. Sadly that quote is not to be found on timeisonourside [www.timeisonourside.com] - maybe I should go looking for that RS one day ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: December 9, 2019 19:43

highwire has a killer vocal by mick

Date: December 9, 2019 23:34

Two great songs imo...better than what appeared on VL three years later.
SD has a fantastic vocal perf by Mick.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-09 23:42 by dcba.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 10, 2019 01:24

loved highwire when it first came out, felt fresh and much better than any single on steel wheels, it was also a single with no album to back it up, so felt unique in a 1960,s sort of way, i was wondering with the tour finishing in 1990 would the stones be finished, but this single was strong and proved they still had what it takes to deliver good rock tunes. amazing to think that 28 years later they were still touring. wished they would do highwire live.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: December 10, 2019 03:12

Sorry.. Stones by numbers with bad lyrics. A sad sign of things to come. Apologies.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: December 10, 2019 03:24

Mmmmm Stones by numbers songs. Love them. We could have had a bunch of albums if he would do that.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: December 10, 2019 07:29

Rocky Dijon

For what it's worth, Mick and Jerry and the kids and Keith and Patti and the kids stayed at Clapton's place in Antigua for the holidays in 1990. They had just finished mixing the live tracks for FLASHPOINT (then a double album) and between the holidays, they wrote the two songs. That's the story anyhow. They at least booked studio time in January and knew what they were cutting. Contractually, they committed to CBS (then Sony) to have two new singles and music videos if they released a live album or greatest hits or other compilation. These were the days when Kimsey was expecting to produce WANDERING SPIRIT. It all changed quickly.

From RollingStone magazine, March 1991:

According to Jagger, the music for “High Wire” dates back to pre-Steel Wheels days: “It was one of those things that I played for people, but no one seemed to pick up on it.” The tune got a new lease on life when the Stones decided to record a brand-new studio track for the live album. “I didn’t know if it was going to come off,” Jagger admitted, “whether it was anything that anyone would want to hear. But it really just sounds like the Rolling Stones.”

Date: December 10, 2019 16:24

JordyLicks96
Rocky Dijon

From RollingStone magazine, March 1991:

According to Jagger, the music for “High Wire” dates back to pre-Steel Wheels days: “It was one of those things that I played for people, but no one seemed to pick up on it.” The tune got a new lease on life when the Stones decided to record a brand-new studio track for the live album. “I didn’t know if it was going to come off,” Jagger admitted, “whether it was anything that anyone would want to hear. But it really just sounds like the Rolling Stones.”

Rocky, you remembered well!!

Date: December 10, 2019 18:56

vertigojoe
Sorry.. Stones by numbers with bad lyrics.

Bad lyrics? HW is Mick at his most political and incisive. You have the feeling the man was genuinely pissed off at what was going on around Iraq.

And the revelations that came later (Saddam was encouraged into invading Koweit by the Us ambassador April Glaspie, the story of Koweiti babies being snatched off incubators and left to die was bogus) proved Mick had the right hunch : this "justified" war against Iraq had been pre-planned by George "evil dick" Bush sr.

Date: December 10, 2019 19:00

Agreed, but I like both songs musically and lyrically.

Jordy and KRiffhard, well my memory worked well this time. There's all the times it doesn't.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 11, 2019 20:54

Great posts here. Thank you.

I love Highwire! Never get tired of it.

Never could get into Sex Drive.

There two versions of Sex Drive released. What’s the differences?

Thanks Again!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 12, 2019 14:04

Sex Drive has some very intricate guitar parts from Richards, which are quite difficult to play. I always liked the song very much, great drive and great sound.

Mathijs

Date: December 12, 2019 14:10

Mathijs
Sex Drive has some very intricate guitar parts from Richards, which are quite difficult to play. I always liked the song very much, great drive and great sound.

Mathijs

That little lick when everybody stops is insane.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 13, 2019 13:12

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs

Mathijs

Before the 'hey!!!!". That's a great lick, a bit like he played on Rock and A Hard Place from Tokyo 1990, where Keith's playing is just fabulous.

Mathijs

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: December 13, 2019 13:37

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs

Mathijs

Before the 'hey!!!!". That's a great lick, a bit like he played on Rock and A Hard Place from Tokyo 1990, where Keith's playing is just fabulous.

Mathijs

And also Charlie's drumming on that very part, IMO.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 13, 2019 19:15

gotdablouse
Actually I remember reading a short article in RS in early 1991 (I even remember WHERE I read it, hehe) and it quoted Mick as saying that the riff for Highwire was something he had hanging around from the Steel Wheels sessions. Sadly that quote is not to be found on timeisonourside [www.timeisonourside.com] - maybe I should go looking for that RS one day ;-)

I remember that as well. There's a song from those sessions called Hot Line, it may be that for all that is not known.

Date: December 13, 2019 20:02

"According to Jagger, the music for “High Wire” dates back to pre-Steel Wheels days.."
[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-13 20:03 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 16, 2019 14:15

KRiffhard
Rocky Dijon

I think it’s possible that "Highwire" goes back to 'Primitive Cool' sessions. I always thought it would be a perfect song for Steel Wheels, a great 2nd single after Mixed Emotions!

I remember reading somewhere that Highwire has something to do with the Primitive Cool-outtake Danger Up Ahead. I think it circulates on YouTube but I don't know if it's available on a physical (bootleg) release. Is there a silver pressed CD with the known PC-outtakes at all? These include two versions of Danger, an early version of Catch As Catch Can and Gangster's Moll '86.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 16, 2019 17:01

Monsoon Ragoon
KRiffhard
Rocky Dijon

I remember reading somewhere that Highwire has something to do with the Primitive Cool-outtake Danger Up Ahead. I think it circulates on YouTube but I don't know if it's available on a physical (bootleg) release. Is there a silver pressed CD with the known PC-outtakes at all? These include two versions of Danger, an early version of Catch As Catch Can and Gangster's Moll '86.

Thanks for the tip about "Danger Up Ahead!"

MICK JAGGER: Danger Up Ahead (Primitive Cool - Outtake 1987)

[www.youtube.com]
Primitive Cool Rehearsal Sessions. Mick Jagger w/ Jeff Beck. Recorded: Right Track Studios, New York City, USA, between Febr. - May 1987 - under working title "Long Knifes."

Monsieur Tarzan wrote:
Probably left off because it was too similar to Lonely at the Top from She's the Boss.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1499
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home