Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Jagger: "Say You Will"
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 11, 2019 03:48

wonderboy
Re: Party Doll, the song could have been written over lunch by any one of a thousand Nashville songwriters. It could have perhaps been lifted by the performance, but by this time, Jagger was all artifice and posing. It's a shame that the singer who could make you feel he was distraught when he 'saw you stretched out in Room 10-09' doesn't even sell pathos on this one.

To me though, Mick Jagger's socalled mannerisms as singer, do not detract from, but on the contrary rather add to almost any given song that he performs. And he performs songs, not only sings them. What is at display, is his ability to create unknown nuances to songs in various ways. Sometimes it involves how he may distance him somewhat from a song lyrics. As to "Party Doll", there is something else and rather opposite, Mick's singing to me supplies a bitter sweet harshness to that song, much in accordance with its lyrics.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 11, 2019 06:00

Rocky Dijon
Enjoyable as always, Gaslight. About the only thing you're right about is I am not and never will be "woke." I don't respect deliberate misuse of any language and the concept behind it is far closer to Mao's cultural revolution than it is following a golden rule of not being a jerk to others on purpose.

As for PRIMITIVE COOL, what can I say I haven't already? The album was made to tour for the first time since TATTOO YOU.

"Throwaway" is an excellent opener. I loved it then, I love it now. I quibble over the one Beck solo being borrowed (perhaps unconsciously) from Journey (generally speaking, a dirty word in my household).

"Let's Work" is not as bad as its reputation suggests, there is a good rhythm guitar riff (Jagger's) that suggests if he hadn't released an edit of the dance mix as the album track, the undoctored track would likely be stronger.

"Radio Control" is great. A nice James Brown update. Solid funk. Great lyrics. Great vocal delivery. I never stopped loving this track either.

"Say You Will" is okay. The Beach Boys "Do It Again" opening drums turns into "Hard Woman" Part 3 (Part 2 is the one with The Hooters). A bit schmaltzy. A bit obviously 1987 pop power ballad, but not terrible.

"Primitive Cool" is terrific. Great lyrics, vocals, and music. Mick embraces pop prog with some smooth jazz stylings. The template for "Terrifying" lies here. Wonderful from start to finish. A classic that ranks among his best work ever.

"KowTow" is classic as well. Great rocker, stinging lyrics, wonderful vocals and guitar work. I love this and welcomed the echo of it in "Warring People" on SUPERHEAVY. "KowTow" should have become a live standard.

"Shoot Off Your Mouth" is also great. The bluesy licks convince me there's more Jimmy Rip on this track than the others, but who knows? Lyrics, vocal delivery, and music are top notch. Another one that should have been a live centerpiece.

"Peace for the Wicked" is strong. Another solid James Brown-inspired funk tune. I'd love to hear the raw demo with Woody on guitar. Vernon Reid said he's playing the solo on this one. Solid all around. Like most of the album, I never tire of it.

"Party Doll" is exquisite. Mick's country vocal is heartfelt rather than affected. The lyrics are heart-wrenching. The track blends country with its Celtic roots using The Chieftains to terrific effect.

"War Baby" is a disappointment, though not a failure. Mick tries for his "Brothers in Arms" by way of Roger Waters-style WWII sound effects. The callback to "Gimme Shelter" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want" by way of "fire sweeps the streets" and a chorus used to better effect than on "Let's Work" seems a bit crass when it intends to evoke baby boomers coming full circle. In many ways, that's the theme of the entire album. The minimalist use of bagpipes by way of The Chieftains helps the track flow from the last one in a holistic fashion.

"Catch As Catch Can" misfires, but shows promise. Mick has a solid enough soul song, but didn't seem to spend enough time developing it. The arrangement would benefit being more traditional, though the point of these sessions was for Mick to truly embrace the sound of the 1980s. He did just that rather convincingly and without echoing Jackson or Prince as he did on SHE'S THE BOSS and "Too Much Blood."

All in all, an excellent album that never disappoints.

All other opinions (which is 99% of the people who ever listened to the album) are, of course, wrong.

Catch As Catch Can should've made the album!!!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 11, 2019 06:04

SomeGuy
Rocky Dijon
SomeGuy
And don't forget the rather pretty, 45's B side, Catch As Catch Can. All in all I'd say Primitive Cool is my second favourite Jagger solo record. Also I don't have a problem with the supposed 80s sound. I know lots more awful sounding records than this one from that era, that no one complains about.

I don't really know you, SomeGuy, but you can have Gaslight's seat for dinner on Christmas. I'll tell the wife to expect you.

Thanks Rocky, for the invitation. I'll bring my Journey records.

Say you will - after the fall!

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: December 11, 2019 08:02

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
An incredible tune. That's Jagger solo at best - being as far as possible from the safe waters of the Stones, and actually reinventing himself - like he said, that vocal melody was out of his reach but he was forced to do it (by Dave). The musical track is pure 80's pop, as it should be and that's why it funnily makes the difference now, but the song is one of the best Mick ever has composed. The same with some other PRIMITIVE COOL tracks, such as "Kow Tow", "Party Doll", "Throwaway" - after a decade or so, not caring a shit about proper melody lines, Mick was once again composing properly. His best work since TATTOO YOU. Actually Mick re-invented his whole way of singing and rediscovered the rich nuances of his unique voice in this album (after having shouted out more or less without sense and nuance throughout the early decade). Surely the people just concentrating on guitar tracks (and if there is Ronnie or Keef not) do not might hear any difference. But there is.

PRIMITIVE COOL altogether is one of the most interesting albums a Rolling Stone ever has done. Those who are interested in deeper mechanics and dynamics of Rolling Stones development might hear there something crucial going on. It was the last album a proper (not any Woody) Rolling Stone was reinventing his game properly and was ambitious. None of them, not even Jagger, had tried anything like that since then. But many of the experiments tried then are standard now. That's the Mick we hear now singing technically note-to-note now.

I think PRIMITIVE COOL is the last musically forward-going, non-repititive album a Rolling Stone, or if you like, The Rolling Stones, ever have done. The musicologists of future will confim that, when all is said and done. The true story ends there.

Besides, "Piece of the Wicked" is actually the only Rolling Stones-related piece which truely hits its actual target: it is real funk as it should go, not any lazy half-assed simplification (like all those hotstuffs, heynegritas and sexdrives, which are entertaining an sich - at least for some Rolling Stones fans - but not any real bad-ass, groovy funk).

- Doxa

Interesting opinion.

It sounds like you're thinking that trying to reinvent yourself, and leaving your comfort zone is a guarantee for artistic success? Remember that sometimes one falls flat and don't succeed. You should be applauded for trying, but eventually you realise it didn't work (I suspect Mick realised that for PC).

I'm pretty sure if Mick did a solo tour today, he wouldn't pick too many of the PC-songs for the setlist, just like he chose not to in 1988. And that's not because the songs are difficult to do live.

That said, there is definitely good stuff on PC. Actually, there is good stuff on all his solo albums, imo.

Yeah, I was going to say something similar but decided it was pointless since his opinions are both violent and half-crazed and because I was under the impression that he had stormed out of here in a huff (which he seems to do every few months).

But yeah there’s lots of good stuff on his solo albums – it’s just a shame that he found it necessary to sing on them.

Date: December 11, 2019 08:04

Rocky Dijon

It's all about communication between guitar and drums. If you find joy hearing the DIRTY WORK demos or a track like "Slave" then you know what Keith was aiming for. Getting hung up on how high the drums were mixed or how rough the compositions are is missing the point entirely. It isn't pop, it's anti-pop. He wasn't trying to adapt to the current trend or live up to his past, he was redefining his sound and image in a way that respected the past outlaw human riff and saw the way forward into a rootsy elder statesman who lives the rhythm. From that standpoint he succeeded because he found his niche, a niche life as a Rolling Stone permitted him to enjoy.

Mick, by contrast, could never do that - not because of lack of talent or because Keith is better, but because Mick on his own is the voice and polish and structure. The result is really good or disappointing because the yardstick Mick as a solo artist is measured against is the Stones' best work. Mick could not establish his own expectations the way Keith could. Mick had the harder task. The fact that he succeeded (solely my view, of course) so well about 50% of the time is proof of his enduring talent and the slow decline in his creative faculties. Keith, by contrast, found a corner where he could thrive almost outside of the mainstream.

'He wasn't trying to adapt to the current trend or live up to his past, he was redefining his sound and image in a way that respected the past outlaw human riff and saw the way forward into a rootsy elder statesman who lives the rhythm.'

As long as you enjoyed writing that I guess it’s alright...although I prefer the way Keith articulates his songwriting process: ‘five strings, two fingers, one @#$%&.’
Keith isn’t as complicated as the people who write about him.

Mick isn’t either actually. Quite by accident, I recently developed a simple test which can determine whether a song sung by Mick Jagger is good or bad for him. You see I was cleaning my toilet the other day when I suddenly starting singing ‘Too Far Gone’, a favorite of mine. I’m not much of a singer to be honest but I raised the bloody roof. Then I sang ‘Say You Will’ which delighted the birds gathering outside my bathroom window-sill. There was a consensus among people on the street that I was a far better crooner than Mick. But within minutes of singing ‘Brown Sugar’, ‘Gimme Shelter’ and ‘19th Nervous Breakdown’ a SWAT team was threatening to break down my door and my dreams of becoming a rock n’ roll star were dissipating with the tear gas...

You see where I’m going with this? The limitations of Mick’s voice and range are too easily exposed in melody-driven songs that have him high in the mix. That I can sing a passable version of ‘Say You Will’ in my toilet tells me that Mick made a poor decision in recording that song. I mean it’s obviously not the type of song that’s gonna win over a lot of Stones fans to begin with but more than that Mick can’t pull off a song that depends solely on the strength of his voice (not these days anyways). If I were his producer I’d insist he be propped by a six-guitar attack in every song. But of course that’s not going to happen – his voice is (understandably I suppose) front and center in all his solo releases and that’s why his solo career has always been doomed to failure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-11 08:14 by Swayed1967.

Date: December 11, 2019 08:06

wanderingspirit66

Focusing on Party Doll

For me, the video below is both (un)watchable and (un)listenable. A bit sad to see and hear Jagger the aesthete, completely loose his appreciation of art and form - his visual and aural aesthetic.
[www.youtube.com]

Contrast this with Mary Chapin Carpenter's cover of the same song
[www.youtube.com]

Somewhere during the 80's, Jagger forgot how to interpret the songs he wrote and what to convey. He lost that feeling, but yet, this Mary Chapin Carpenter version is a reminder that when you peel the layers, you uncover the songwriting god that Jagger was and still is.

Wow. I couldn’t make it through either version. Where’s Annie Lennox when you need her?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 11, 2019 10:35

Swayed1967
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
An incredible tune. That's Jagger solo at best - being as far as possible from the safe waters of the Stones, and actually reinventing himself - like he said, that vocal melody was out of his reach but he was forced to do it (by Dave). The musical track is pure 80's pop, as it should be and that's why it funnily makes the difference now, but the song is one of the best Mick ever has composed. The same with some other PRIMITIVE COOL tracks, such as "Kow Tow", "Party Doll", "Throwaway" - after a decade or so, not caring a shit about proper melody lines, Mick was once again composing properly. His best work since TATTOO YOU. Actually Mick re-invented his whole way of singing and rediscovered the rich nuances of his unique voice in this album (after having shouted out more or less without sense and nuance throughout the early decade). Surely the people just concentrating on guitar tracks (and if there is Ronnie or Keef not) do not might hear any difference. But there is.

PRIMITIVE COOL altogether is one of the most interesting albums a Rolling Stone ever has done. Those who are interested in deeper mechanics and dynamics of Rolling Stones development might hear there something crucial going on. It was the last album a proper (not any Woody) Rolling Stone was reinventing his game properly and was ambitious. None of them, not even Jagger, had tried anything like that since then. But many of the experiments tried then are standard now. That's the Mick we hear now singing technically note-to-note now.

I think PRIMITIVE COOL is the last musically forward-going, non-repititive album a Rolling Stone, or if you like, The Rolling Stones, ever have done. The musicologists of future will confim that, when all is said and done. The true story ends there.

Besides, "Piece of the Wicked" is actually the only Rolling Stones-related piece which truely hits its actual target: it is real funk as it should go, not any lazy half-assed simplification (like all those hotstuffs, heynegritas and sexdrives, which are entertaining an sich - at least for some Rolling Stones fans - but not any real bad-ass, groovy funk).

- Doxa

Interesting opinion.

It sounds like you're thinking that trying to reinvent yourself, and leaving your comfort zone is a guarantee for artistic success? Remember that sometimes one falls flat and don't succeed. You should be applauded for trying, but eventually you realise it didn't work (I suspect Mick realised that for PC).

I'm pretty sure if Mick did a solo tour today, he wouldn't pick too many of the PC-songs for the setlist, just like he chose not to in 1988. And that's not because the songs are difficult to do live.

That said, there is definitely good stuff on PC. Actually, there is good stuff on all his solo albums, imo.

Yeah, I was going to say something similar but decided it was pointless since his opinions are both violent and half-crazed and because I was under the impression that he had stormed out of here in a huff (which he seems to do every few months).

But yeah there’s lots of good stuff on his solo albums – it’s just a shame that he found it necessary to sing on them.

Well, I for one find it very interesting, fascinating and stimulating to read a major poster apparently and more or less redefining some of his outlooks on part of the Rolling Stones and Rolling Stones related canon. That applies also when I not myself quite can follow or do fully agree in the final verdict. But even then the argumentation is a treat to read as always when Doxa is the post's author. Whose opinions are and are not half-crazed, is not always as obvious as the latest preceding poster will have it; we may each of us sometimes look at the one we see in the mirror.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-11 10:36 by Witness.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 11, 2019 12:27

I can't read all of these posts/ Too much negativity.

Jagger had many great solo songs. Two versions of Hard Woman, Thowaway, Party Doll, Just Another Night, Put Me In The Trash.... I could go on and on.

Say You Will was my wedding song. Love it! If you had someone to share that song with you may just love it. If you gave these albums many spins, you may find more songs you like, maybe not.

Hard Woman
[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 11, 2019 13:15

Swayed1967
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Interesting opinion.

You're talking about a poster who has contributed immensely with quality posts for decades on this forum. And there are many of us who storm out of here now and again. It's 2019. Showing feelings is a good thing, right?

Head on, but honest, arguments vs. belittling or ridiculing. I prefer the former.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 11, 2019 14:22

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Interesting opinion.

No, I don't think trying to reinvent oneself leads necessarily for artistic success. Many times it doesn't (since there is always a risk in leaving one's comfort zone). But I do think that trying to revinvent oneself is an artistic act an sich, never mind the result. Like I have said in the past, to me PRIMITIVE COOL is SATANIC MAJESTIES of the 80's. Although the reception of SATANIC MAJESTIES has been turned more positively lately, in general we can't say the album was any big artistic success. But the album has a definitive place within the story of the Stones, without it their career wouldn't be such rich and fascinating as it is. (Relative) failures makes the stories more interesting.

PRIMITIVE COOL was a major flop commercially and surely not any big success artistically either. Today it is a curiosity in Jagger's career. However, like with SATANIC MAJESTIES, behind the flavor of the month surface there was something really interesting going on - especially in compared to the stuff the guy(s) done before and afterwards. From song-writer's point of view, PRIMITIVE COOL contains some individually great musical ideas, and like I mentioned, the way Jagger writes complete melodies full of hooks, occasionally together with some non-typical self-reflective lyrics. As a singer he created then the modern' manouvres, based much more on carrying a melody properly, and having more control of his voice and sound of it, than before - or for the last 10 years or so, and those were the ones he would use from then on (Dave Stewart really kicked Mick's ass there, and I wouldn't be surprised if having a singing couch might happened around the same time). The difference is huge compared, for example, to DIRTY WORK.

In a big picture PRIMITIVE COOL is really a child of its time, with its over-production chasing whatever sounds hot at the time - Jagger really updating his game to latest pop currents - and failing big, big time. Its reception surely scared the shit out of Mick. If he would be honest, taking how much was invested in it, he should name it his biggest disappoitment in his career ever. However, being a pragmatic guy he is, he surely made the calculation. People didn't like the album, so neither him: 'forget it. Let's go on'. His flirting with recent currents, or trying to reinvent himself, has been rather mild since then.

Altogether, since the 80's (or the hayday of Pathe Marconi era = SOME GIRLS), I think the major dilemma Mick and the Stones - and us Stones fans - facing artistically are:
(1) Trying to reinvent oneself leads mostly to unconvincing, sometimes even embarrassing results. Probably PRIMITIVE COOL is the primal example here.
(2) Remaining within a comfort zone leads mostly to uninspired, sometimes even dull results ('Stones-by-numbers'). Albums like VOODOO LOUNGE or A BIGGER BANG are examples here.

I guess that's how it is once one's true muse has gone. Personally if I need to choose I would pick up the first option. But that's just me. That's why I cherish PRIMITIVE COOL and it has a specific place in my Stonesworld: I find it as an unique, different album in Stones catalogue. It is, if not great, but at least interesting in the sense an album like VOODOO LOUNGE is not. Artistically it adds something to the story.

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-11 14:57 by Doxa.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 11, 2019 16:04

Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet

I always found Primitive Cool to be unworthy of being even a B-side. It's incredibly chookey. War Baby is embarrassing - who cares if the lyrics tie into Gimme Shelter (I remember reading that thinking THE SONG STILL SUCKS)? The song sucks! Party Doll is horrible as well.

This LP would've been much better as an EP:
Throwaway
Say You Will
Peace For The Wicked
Kow Tow

"Throwaway" and "Kowtow" are terrific. I've never warmed to "Say You Will." I've always found it sort of embarrassing. I'm not a fan of "War Baby." However, your unenlightened and entirely unacceptable personal opinion of "Primitive Cool" and "Party Doll" means I now have to take the Christmas card my wife was mailing you out of the mailbox and burn it in the fireplace. That hurts considering I wasted both a card and a Marvin Gaye commemorative stamp. Perhaps Hairball will have room for you for dinner on Christmas. You've soiled my linen for the last time.

I thought Skippy grew out of that sh*t the bed thing?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 11, 2019 16:05

Witness
wonderboy
Re: Party Doll, the song could have been written over lunch by any one of a thousand Nashville songwriters. It could have perhaps been lifted by the performance, but by this time, Jagger was all artifice and posing. It's a shame that the singer who could make you feel he was distraught when he 'saw you stretched out in Room 10-09' doesn't even sell pathos on this one.

To me though, Mick Jagger's socalled mannerisms as singer, do not detract from, but on the contrary rather add to almost any given song that he performs. And he performs songs, not only sings them. What is at display, is his ability to create unknown nuances to songs in various ways. Sometimes it involves how he may distance him somewhat from a song lyrics. As to "Party Doll", there is something else and rather opposite, Mick's singing to me supplies a bitter sweet harshness to that song, much in accordance with its lyrics.

Party Doll was a high point on this album.

Date: December 11, 2019 16:29

Swayed1967
Rocky Dijon

It's all about communication between guitar and drums. If you find joy hearing the DIRTY WORK demos or a track like "Slave" then you know what Keith was aiming for. Getting hung up on how high the drums were mixed or how rough the compositions are is missing the point entirely. It isn't pop, it's anti-pop. He wasn't trying to adapt to the current trend or live up to his past, he was redefining his sound and image in a way that respected the past outlaw human riff and saw the way forward into a rootsy elder statesman who lives the rhythm. From that standpoint he succeeded because he found his niche, a niche life as a Rolling Stone permitted him to enjoy.

Mick, by contrast, could never do that - not because of lack of talent or because Keith is better, but because Mick on his own is the voice and polish and structure. The result is really good or disappointing because the yardstick Mick as a solo artist is measured against is the Stones' best work. Mick could not establish his own expectations the way Keith could. Mick had the harder task. The fact that he succeeded (solely my view, of course) so well about 50% of the time is proof of his enduring talent and the slow decline in his creative faculties. Keith, by contrast, found a corner where he could thrive almost outside of the mainstream.

'He wasn't trying to adapt to the current trend or live up to his past, he was redefining his sound and image in a way that respected the past outlaw human riff and saw the way forward into a rootsy elder statesman who lives the rhythm.'

As long as you enjoyed writing that I guess it’s alright...although I prefer the way Keith articulates his songwriting process: ‘five strings, two fingers, one @#$%&.’
Keith isn’t as complicated as the people who write about him.

Mick isn’t either actually. Quite by accident, I recently developed a simple test which can determine whether a song sung by Mick Jagger is good or bad for him. You see I was cleaning my toilet the other day when I suddenly starting singing ‘Too Far Gone’, a favorite of mine. I’m not much of a singer to be honest but I raised the bloody roof. Then I sang ‘Say You Will’ which delighted the birds gathering outside my bathroom window-sill. There was a consensus among people on the street that I was a far better crooner than Mick. But within minutes of singing ‘Brown Sugar’, ‘Gimme Shelter’ and ‘19th Nervous Breakdown’ a SWAT team was threatening to break down my door and my dreams of becoming a rock n’ roll star were dissipating with the tear gas...

You see where I’m going with this? The limitations of Mick’s voice and range are too easily exposed in melody-driven songs that have him high in the mix. That I can sing a passable version of ‘Say You Will’ in my toilet tells me that Mick made a poor decision in recording that song. I mean it’s obviously not the type of song that’s gonna win over a lot of Stones fans to begin with but more than that Mick can’t pull off a song that depends solely on the strength of his voice (not these days anyways). If I were his producer I’d insist he be propped by a six-guitar attack in every song. But of course that’s not going to happen – his voice is (understandably I suppose) front and center in all his solo releases and that’s why his solo career has always been doomed to failure.

Most inspired posting and thoughts.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 11, 2019 16:33

To add a bit to the story I mentioned above.

We, each of us, all are ultimate judges of music - it is what our mind says, which makes the difference between the good, the bad, and the ugly. We know the arsehole analogy here.

But there is a more pragmatic realm out there also. I have a group of music lovers who occasionally meet, drink and listen music (and, of course talk about it a lot) together. I happen to be the only real Rolling Stones hardcore fan there (everybody likes them, but not anywhere near to the extent I do). To me those people, digging music in any kinds of form (mostly rock music) constitute a very interesting and educational case and chance of reflecting how people - who know the story of rock and pop and who are above the usual categorizing - might view the Stones outside the Stones hardcore fan circles. (It is also people like them - 'casual fans' - who fill up the stadiums.)

My experience of playing them some non-classical Stones stuff has been, roughly: try anything from albums like VOODOO LOUNGE and A BIGGER BANG, the reaction is: 'yeah, that's Stones for sure. But hey, couldn't we listen HOT ROCKS or STICKY FINGERS if we need to listen that'. But then if I put something totally different, a track like "Say You Will", the reaction is: 'Oh shit, what's that? Has he really done something like that too?'. Usually the reaction is firstly amused, but after the first shock is gone, it tends to go 'that's actually quite good'. That makes me smile.

I think over-all, when all is said and done, and especially if the 'purist' side of Stones hardcore fans die or grow up, people will have a more relaxed attitude towards the musical adventures of the Rolling Stones. That day people will see also Jagger's so called 'solo career' in a bigger picture, as one musical journey in his long and fascinating career and of the Stones. Those contextually determinated intuitions that once dumped much of it do not revail - or mean anything - any longer.

I spent my formative years as a teenager during the 80's. It is soon the 2020's, and I am not a teenager any longer. But I cannot help feel that for many hardcore Stones fans the 80's never ended. We are still in the same premises, same intuitions, same categories, same arguments as then. For sure it was a helluva, odd decade for pop music, but it seemed fatal for the Stones and to their fans. Like we never survived it mentally. Was it a wordless agreement that we all - the band, the fans - refuse to grow up or re-think our concepts?

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-11 16:50 by Doxa.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 11, 2019 18:53

DandelionPowderman
Head on, but honest, arguments vs. belittling or ridiculing. I prefer the former.

True, but can't help think of the Crosseyed Heart thread where belittling, ridiculing, and name calling was the order of the day - so much so that you deleted every single one of your posts in frustration.
Unfortunately that thread was closed for some reason, but thankfully (hopefully) that's all water under the bridge now.

Looking forward to some head on, honest arguments when/if the new album is released without any belittling, ridiculing, and name calling.
Criticizing the music and having an opinion is one thing, but taking it to a personal level with insults is another.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 11, 2019 19:35

IrelandCalling4
Mathijs
Primitive Cool remains to date the worst album of the 1980's. By any band. In any genre.

Mathijs

Its better than Look What the Cat Stepped In by Poison; he should have built the marketing campaign around that fact at the time smiling smiley

Actually I am a fan of She's the Boss and even half of Primitive Cool. Throwaway, Kow Tow, Party Doll, Say You Will..

She's the Boss is fun, funky and some good songwriting under the 80s gloss. Even revisited the "Running out of Luck" film recently (after watching McCartneys Broadstreet I had a hankerimg to view Micks music film aswell from the time).

And then the Stones go and do a "cat dragged in" song!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 11, 2019 20:18

Rocky Dijon
Enjoyable as always, Gaslight. About the only thing you're right about is I am not and never will be "woke." I don't respect deliberate misuse of any language and the concept behind it is far closer to Mao's cultural revolution than it is following a golden rule of not being a jerk to others on purpose.

As for PRIMITIVE COOL, what can I say I haven't already? The album was made to tour for the first time since TATTOO YOU.

"Throwaway" is an excellent opener. I loved it then, I love it now. I quibble over the one Beck solo being borrowed (perhaps unconsciously) from Journey (generally speaking, a dirty word in my household).

"Let's Work" is not as bad as its reputation suggests, there is a good rhythm guitar riff (Jagger's) that suggests if he hadn't released an edit of the dance mix as the album track, the undoctored track would likely be stronger.

"Radio Control" is great. A nice James Brown update. Solid funk. Great lyrics. Great vocal delivery. I never stopped loving this track either.

"Say You Will" is okay. The Beach Boys "Do It Again" opening drums turns into "Hard Woman" Part 3 (Part 2 is the one with The Hooters). A bit schmaltzy. A bit obviously 1987 pop power ballad, but not terrible.

"Primitive Cool" is terrific. Great lyrics, vocals, and music. Mick embraces pop prog with some smooth jazz stylings. The template for "Terrifying" lies here. Wonderful from start to finish. A classic that ranks among his best work ever.

"KowTow" is classic as well. Great rocker, stinging lyrics, wonderful vocals and guitar work. I love this and welcomed the echo of it in "Warring People" on SUPERHEAVY. "KowTow" should have become a live standard.

"Shoot Off Your Mouth" is also great. The bluesy licks convince me there's more Jimmy Rip on this track than the others, but who knows? Lyrics, vocal delivery, and music are top notch. Another one that should have been a live centerpiece.

"Peace for the Wicked" is strong. Another solid James Brown-inspired funk tune. I'd love to hear the raw demo with Woody on guitar. Vernon Reid said he's playing the solo on this one. Solid all around. Like most of the album, I never tire of it.

"Party Doll" is exquisite. Mick's country vocal is heartfelt rather than affected. The lyrics are heart-wrenching. The track blends country with its Celtic roots using The Chieftains to terrific effect.

"War Baby" is a disappointment, though not a failure. Mick tries for his "Brothers in Arms" by way of Roger Waters-style WWII sound effects. The callback to "Gimme Shelter" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want" by way of "fire sweeps the streets" and a chorus used to better effect than on "Let's Work" seems a bit crass when it intends to evoke baby boomers coming full circle. In many ways, that's the theme of the entire album. The minimalist use of bagpipes by way of The Chieftains helps the track flow from the last one in a holistic fashion.

"Catch As Catch Can" misfires, but shows promise. Mick has a solid enough soul song, but didn't seem to spend enough time developing it. The arrangement would benefit being more traditional, though the point of these sessions was for Mick to truly embrace the sound of the 1980s. He did just that rather convincingly and without echoing Jackson or Prince as he did on SHE'S THE BOSS and "Too Much Blood."

All in all, an excellent album that never disappoints.

All other opinions (which is 99% of the people who ever listened to the album) are, of course, wrong.

Agree w/ your comments for the most part.

Let's Work, to me anyway, is a pretty bad tune. Mick trying to be current but to me fails completely - trying to be too poppy w/ incredibly corny lyrics.

My favorites are Throwaway, Peace For the Wicked, Kow Tow, Radio Control, Party Doll - all which I think are pretty damn good. Actually we differ on War Baby, I like that one a lot too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-11 20:18 by LeonidP.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 11, 2019 22:15

I didn't object to Jagger's songs because he was pushing the envelope or being trendy. I just thought he was producing dance pop or power ballads or whatever genre in a very obvious way.
He was never Bowie, which was his obvious competition. Young people still listen to Bowie.
Meanwhile, Keith was writing these complex, little jazzy numbers that mostly flew under the radar because they didn't fit our notions of him.

Date: December 12, 2019 09:47

exilestones

Say You Will was my wedding song. Love it! If you had someone to share that song with you may just love it. If you gave these albums many spins, you may find more songs you like, maybe not.

My dog's name is Angie. My wedding song was ‘Happy.’ (Angie attended the reception.) I’m pretty sure ‘Say You Will’ never made the short-list although it’s obviously a perfect choice for the occasion – it’s almost as if Mick set out to write a song that could be sold to wedding chapels throughout the world.

My wife has never heard any of Mick’s solo records. Perhaps I’ll slip ‘She’s The Boss’ under the tree on Christmas morning as a present and prance around our living room in a white tank top. Does anybody think that's a good idea?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 12, 2019 13:58

What doesn't help is that Jagger tries to be the utmost contemporary hip and poppy with Primitive Cool, while at the same time GnR were recording Appetite. The fact that he so plainly missed what actually is a the biggest change in music since the 60's makes the album just utterly painful.

With She's the Boss at least you can say it IS contemporary.

Mathijs

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: December 12, 2019 14:45

Some strange opinions here,people saying Party Doll is a bad song.
You have to be a Keithfan to say something like that.But it,s not so strange reading this on these sites.Many here just dont like Mick Jagger for some reasons.These peoples are not Stonesfans,just Keithfans.Personally i don,t like Much out of Mick,s and Keith,s soloworks,just some of it.Wandering Spirit is a very good album,almost a classic,rest of soloalbums of Mick and Keith is easy forgettable.Almost never play any of these albums anymore

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: December 12, 2019 15:07

Mathijs
What doesn't help is that Jagger tries to be the utmost contemporary hip and poppy with Primitive Cool, while at the same time GnR were recording Appetite. The fact that he so plainly missed what actually is a the biggest change in music since the 60's makes the album just utterly painful.

Mathijs

Is Appetite definitive of 1987? More so than the Joshua Tree? Or Bad? Was it irrational or un-hip of Mick to try for a more polished sound? Worked for Steve Winwood in the same era.

Date: December 12, 2019 15:55

harlem shuffle
Some strange opinions here,people saying Party Doll is a bad song.
You have to be a Keithfan to say something like that.But it,s not so strange reading this on these sites.Many here just dont like Mick Jagger for some reasons.These peoples are not Stonesfans,just Keithfans.Personally i don,t like Much out of Mick,s and Keith,s soloworks,just some of it.Wandering Spirit is a very good album,almost a classic,rest of soloalbums of Mick and Keith is easy forgettable.Almost never play any of these albums anymore

One must be a Keith-fan and hate the Stones not to like Party Doll?

What's with you, mate?

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 12, 2019 17:19

Mathijs

Mathijs

What change is that?

Date: December 12, 2019 18:23

SomeGuy
Mathijs

Mathijs

What change is that?

What is worse IMO that Jagger tried so desperately to jump on some current bandwagon. Obviously the days of him shaping pop trends were long gone, but after that he and the Stones became masters at absorbing ongoing styles, and spitting them back out with their own slant. He is a great R&B and Country singer and writer. With those solo albums I don't think I fault him s much for failing. Failure is alright. It is all the calculation that I fault.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: December 12, 2019 18:36

"Let's Work"is one of the awfulls songs of all time !

Posted by: INDIANO ()
Date: December 12, 2019 20:23

[www.youtube.com]

This version of party Doll live is not bad, someone can tell me date and location ?

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 12, 2019 20:42

Tokyo; March 24, 1988

Posted by: INDIANO ()
Date: December 12, 2019 22:36

Thanks very mutch

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 12, 2019 23:35

steffiestones
"Let's Work"is one of the awfulls songs of all time !

I think it is one of those songs that shouldn't be listened to at Work! grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home