Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Jagger: "Say You Will"
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: December 8, 2019 07:49

Well this slipped under my radar for over 3 decades: a video for the 12"!

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Jagger: "Say You Will"
Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: December 8, 2019 12:10

One of Jagger's better songs. We can only wonder how some of his songs would have turned out if they'd been recorded by the Stones. It would also be interesting to hear 'Say You Will', or some of his other songs, covered by a contemporary artist.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-09 11:22 by MrTurner.

Date: December 8, 2019 14:23

One of the few redeemable songs from that dreadful album. Jagger has a knack of finding the worst [possible collaborATOrs for solo projects.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 8, 2019 15:01

Great song! Maybe my favorite solo Jagger song.

Maybe PC would have met a better fate if this had been the single instead of the awful "Let's Work". But then again, maybe we wouldn't have the Stones today.

I also like "Throwaway".

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 8, 2019 16:18

Nice little song...never heard it before.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: December 8, 2019 16:37

Lyrically the verses are pretty good. The chorus is cheesy and really sappy. It’s real pop all the way through. Now Party Doll and Kowtow are easily my favorites on that album.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 8, 2019 16:43

The opening always reminds me of "Do It Again" by The Beach Boys. Beck's guitar solo is nice. Mick's lyrics veer toward the greeting card schmaltzy side a bit. It's certainly better than "Let's Work" or "War Baby" and it came off better than "Catch As Catch Can," but I'll take the other tracks any day. For ballads, "Party Doll" would be my choice for the great one on here.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 8, 2019 17:29

PC is actually a somewhat underrated album in my opinion, I liked it a lot better than the oftentimes clangy, noisy StB which was the better known record at the time.
Two songs I don't like, however, are at the end of side one and of side two, what was Mick thinking? Attempts at 80's style prog or something?
At least one advantage of the commercial flop that PC was, is that we have the Stones still around today.

Date: December 8, 2019 20:15

"Primitive Cool" is definitely pop prog-influenced, but it's not that far removed from "Terrifying" if you think about it. I always thought the song worked well.

"War Baby" tries to echo "Gimme Shelter" lyrically and recall "You Can't Always Get What You Want" with the Harrison College Choir intro. While the choir are put to better use there than on "Let's Work," it just never jells for me. It sounded like Mick was trying hard to craft a "Brothers in Arms" style number with somber lyrics and music to match. The use of sound effects (shades of Roger Waters) didn't help. The Chieftains carrying on from "Party Doll" into "War Baby" was a nice touch, but the song just felt a bit too contrived to really come off successfully. Still, as an effort to break out of the mode, it isn't terrible.

As it stands, PRIMITIVE COOL is still easily my second favorite Mick album.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 8, 2019 20:29

Wow...a new low having two Jagger solo tune threads posted at the same time - with no rumours/updates on the new album and/or tour understandable I guess.

As for this tune, the clean production and synth/strings don't help at all - might have been better as either pure acoustic, or with some ballsy rock and roll backup. And the lyrics...lol. All in all, reeks of '80's.
As for the album itself , bought the cassette and tried to like it, but to no avail...when the lead single is Lets Work, hard to get past that.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 9, 2019 00:48

Rocky Dijon
"Primitive Cool" is definitely pop prog-influenced, but it's not that far removed from "Terrifying" if you think about it. I always thought the song worked well.

"War Baby" tries to echo "Gimme Shelter" lyrically and recall "You Can't Always Get What You Want" with the Harrison College Choir intro. While the choir are put to better use there than on "Let's Work," it just never jells for me. It sounded like Mick was trying hard to craft a "Brothers in Arms" style number with somber lyrics and music to match. The use of sound effects (shades of Roger Waters) didn't help. The Chieftains carrying on from "Party Doll" into "War Baby" was a nice touch, but the song just felt a bit too contrived to really come off successfully. Still, as an effort to break out of the mode, it isn't terrible.

As it stands, PRIMITIVE COOL is still easily my second favorite Mick album.

I always found Primitive Cool to be unworthy of being even a B-side. It's incredibly chookey. War Baby is embarrassing - who cares if the lyrics tie into Gimme Shelter (I remember reading that thinking THE SONG STILL SUCKS)? The song sucks! Party Doll is horrible as well.

This LP would've been much better as an EP:
Throwaway
Say You Will
Peace For The Wicked
Kow Tow

Date: December 9, 2019 01:18

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-09 01:40 by SomeGuy.

Date: December 9, 2019 01:41

GasLightStreet

I always found Primitive Cool to be unworthy of being even a B-side. It's incredibly chookey. War Baby is embarrassing - who cares if the lyrics tie into Gimme Shelter (I remember reading that thinking THE SONG STILL SUCKS)? The song sucks! Party Doll is horrible as well.

This LP would've been much better as an EP:
Throwaway
Say You Will
Peace For The Wicked
Kow Tow

"Throwaway" and "Kowtow" are terrific. I've never warmed to "Say You Will." I've always found it sort of embarrassing. I'm not a fan of "War Baby." However, your unenlightened and entirely unacceptable personal opinion of "Primitive Cool" and "Party Doll" means I now have to take the Christmas card my wife was mailing you out of the mailbox and burn it in the fireplace. That hurts considering I wasted both a card and a Marvin Gaye commemorative stamp. Perhaps Hairball will have room for you for dinner on Christmas. You've soiled my linen for the last time.

Date: December 9, 2019 01:57

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-09 03:21 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: December 9, 2019 06:30

Just plain awful.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: December 9, 2019 08:12

If Mick had ditched the Stones to pursue a second career in, say, ballet dancing, I could’ve accepted it. I would’ve bought tickets and politely applauded even if his performance was bad. Because no matter how badly he flopped as a dancer it would be preferable to him disgracing himself on records like Primitive Cool. At least that’s how I used to think.

But today I’m able to accept Mick Jagger the solo artist. And much to my surprise I even seem to have some affection for him, partly thanks to this thread. This thread reminded me that ‘Primitive Cool’ was not only the title of the album but a song of its own, a fact I had forgotten. Morbid curiosity getting the better of me, I listened to it this morning despite having a severe hangover (lost a lot of money in Hong Kong yesterday) and knowing this wouldn’t be a cure for it. Well, it certainly didn’t cure my hangover but it didn’t make it any worse either. I actually laughed, resignedly (is that the right word?), because it was good in parts and bad in parts and although I could never truly like this music it was all so much water under the bridge. It’s the same with ‘Let’s Work’ and ‘Say You Will’ and etc. – you just gotta laugh.

Posted by: Stonesfan62 ()
Date: December 9, 2019 09:09

Always liked Say you will one of Micks better songs.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 9, 2019 09:58

Primitive Cool remains to date the worst album of the 1980's. By any band. In any genre.

Mathijs

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 9, 2019 10:39

A very poppy song, but I've always liked it somehow.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 9, 2019 12:55

rbp
Just plain awful.

Yeah, what was he thinking?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 9, 2019 16:26

really?

Date: December 9, 2019 17:36

Mathijs
Primitive Cool remains to date the worst album of the 1980's. By any band. In any genre.

Mathijs

SAVED by Dylan, KNOCKED OUT LOADED by Dylan, DOWN IN THE GROOVE by Dylan, DAVE DAVIES' self-titled album, GLAMOUR by Dave Davies, CHOSEN PEOPLE by Dave Davies, THINK VISUAL by The Kinks, UK JIVE by The Kinks, EYE OF THE ZOMBIE by John Fogerty, INXS' debut, UNDERNEATH THE COLOURS by INXS, BILL WYMAN's self-titled album, and SHE'S THE BOSS are all far worse, though most of these still have one or two tracks that are worthwhile. And yes, of course, there are many hundreds of others that are far worse.

Oh God, there's WILLIE AND THE POORBOYS from Bill...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-09 17:36 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: December 9, 2019 18:01

Rocky Dijon
Mathijs

Mathijs

SAVED by Dylan, KNOCKED OUT LOADED by Dylan, DOWN IN THE GROOVE by Dylan, DAVE DAVIES' self-titled album, GLAMOUR by Dave Davies, CHOSEN PEOPLE by Dave Davies, THINK VISUAL by The Kinks, UK JIVE by The Kinks, EYE OF THE ZOMBIE by John Fogerty, INXS' debut, UNDERNEATH THE COLOURS by INXS, BILL WYMAN's self-titled album, and SHE'S THE BOSS are all far worse, though most of these still have one or two tracks that are worthwhile. And yes, of course, there are many hundreds of others that are far worse.

I like Think Visual smiling smiley

Date: December 9, 2019 18:09

DandelionPowderman

"Lost and Found" is classic Kinks and "Working at the Factory" is pretty good, but the album is really poorly mixed. The sound is dreadful and there's way too much filler. I'll stand by PRIMITIVE COOL.

And yes, I know opinions are subjective, but I'm about the only defender the album has!

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: December 9, 2019 18:30

Rocky Dijon
Mathijs

Mathijs

AMEN to all, Rocky! Although I must confess, I really like She's The Boss. I'm the weirdo who likes She's the Boss and Primitive Cool the best. I think because I don't miss the Stones when I listen to them. I take them as they are, as solo albums. but with Wandering Spirit, I find myself missing the Stones somehow, and it just pales, so that one oddly enough hasn't aged as well for me. Goddess in the Doorway and SuperHeavy were sold to my local used CD store years ago.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-09 18:31 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: December 9, 2019 18:31

One of the worst albums in the eighties is Talk is Cheap,very very bad,not one single song is good on this album.
Just some riffs,almost without melody

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: December 9, 2019 18:38

Rocky Dijon
DandelionPowderman

"Lost and Found" is classic Kinks and "Working at the Factory" is pretty good, but the album is really poorly mixed. The sound is dreadful and there's way too much filler. I'll stand by PRIMITIVE COOL.

And yes, I know opinions are subjective, but I'm about the only defender the album has!

No, me too. An album with songs like THROWAWAY can´t be bad.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: December 9, 2019 18:40

harlem shuffle
One of the worst albums in the eighties is Talk is Cheap,very very bad,not one single song is good on this album.

This is an amazing opinion.
Maybe, you should revisit and listen three times in row.
It took a while for me as well. I promise, it will grow...

Date: December 9, 2019 19:24

deardoctor
harlem shuffle

This is an amazing opinion.
Maybe, you should revisit and listen three times in row.
It took a while for me as well. I promise, it will grow...

He doesn't like people criticising Mick, so he just post weird stuff about Keith on autopilot. I'm sure he never even listened to TIC smoking smiley

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: December 9, 2019 20:49

Mathijs

Mathijs

Its better than Look What the Cat Stepped In by Poison; he should have built the marketing campaign around that fact at the time smiling smiley

Actually I am a fan of She's the Boss and even half of Primitive Cool. Throwaway, Kow Tow, Party Doll, Say You Will..

She's the Boss is fun, funky and some good songwriting under the 80s gloss. Even revisited the "Running out of Luck" film recently (after watching McCartneys Broadstreet I had a hankerimg to view Micks music film aswell from the time).

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1502
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home