Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Moog synthesizer at Altamont
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 3, 2019 17:35

Anyone recall a Moog synthesizer in "Gimme Shelter"? Interesting read.

[aquariumdrunkard.com]

Re: The Moog synthesizer at Altamont
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 3, 2019 19:30

But [Bruce] was totally unmusical, probably tone deaf,” grinning smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 3, 2019 23:31

Interesting read indeed and it sounded not that bad for it's time....but I never heard of it in the context of Gimmi Shelter but who knows......

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: December 4, 2019 09:56

Is that the Moog playing those tones whilst they're setting up the PA in Gimme Shelter?

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 4, 2019 10:44

December 6, 1969 – Doug McKechnie played a Moog set during a sound-check at the Altamont Free Festival. A glimpse of the Moog (and a tiny snippet of sound) can also be seen in the Maysles film Gimme Shelter (1970) at about the 53-minute mark.7

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: December 4, 2019 16:16

I think the sound enginers used it for the PA setup.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: December 4, 2019 20:44

I wonder how much a modular Moog synthesizer would have cost in 1969? It must have been mostly hand-built and therefore, very expensive. Edit: Just found out it would have cost about $5,000 in 1969 which is roughly $35,000 in today's money.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-05 18:21 by TornAndFried.

Date: December 4, 2019 21:16

Apparently Mick had one of the first ones produced and later sold it. Does he play it in Performance?

Date: December 4, 2019 21:17

I’m not saying this is the one used at Altamont y’understand

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: December 4, 2019 23:26

vertigojoe
Is that the Moog playing those tones whilst they're setting up the PA in Gimme Shelter?

Yes sir, that is absolutely correct.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 5, 2019 12:15

TornAndFried
I wonder how much a modular Moog synthesizer would have cost in 1969? It must have been mostly hand-built and therefore, very expensive. Edit: Just found out it would have cost about $5,000 in 1969 which is roughly $50,000 in today's money.

I think George Harrison said he paid £3000 for his in 68/69. He first used it on his solo experimental album Electronic Sounds and then later, famously, on the Abbey Road songs, Here Comes The Sun and Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 5, 2019 13:39

Edgar Froese: "The Rolling Stones had purchased a massive modular system from Moog in 1969** . Mick Jagger tried for a long time to produce a few particular sounds with it but had no luck and eventually wanted to sell the machine*. Of course, when we heard it was available we were very excited and took immediate steps to get it. The system was composed of several large units and we purchased it piece by piece over a period of time. We had the whole machine only shortly before we began recording Phaedra and went into the studio without having used it beforehand. Luckily, and here's something I've never admitted to anyone, luckily we managed to hook up the machine more or less correctly without knowing how to at all. We connected the wires between the various components, the sequencer, oscillator, filter and so forth, using pure guesswork. So much of what you hear on Phaedra was accidental".

* It also appears in a movie Jagger starred in, titled 'Performance'. Rumour has it he was given lessons on how to use it for 5 weeks. Several members of the group had them in fact, as odd as that might sound

** It was probably autumn 1968, at that time it cost $11,000, TD later bought it for DM800,000

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 5, 2019 13:44

vertigojoe
Apparently Mick had one of the first ones produced and later sold it. Does he play it in Performance?

The stones had one delivered circa August 1968. Not one of the first by any means, but still interesting.

In Performance he is shown playing with it, but the sound is not by him. Similar thing with Keith in that odd 1969 film although that wasn't the stones Moog.

You can hear Mick's attempts to 'play' the Moog in one of Kenneth Anger's awful films.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 5, 2019 19:30

This is too cool and I wish I had one at home and the fun I could have with it messing with my favorite neighbors would make my day I tell you . This Moog sounds awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1779
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home