Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

SPIEGEL Interview Ronnie
Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 2, 2019 20:50

Re: SPIEGEL Interview Ronnie
Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: December 2, 2019 20:57

Ugh, it's in German! sad smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 2, 2019 21:03

TornAndFried

Be patient...it will translate!

Quote: "They know what they want" (Mick and Keith).
Maybe true...but if they are not on the same hymn sheet, are unwilling to compromise, the result is stalemate.
So, not a positive attribute in terms of getting a new album done.

Date: December 2, 2019 21:03

Thank you Robert! Great Interview

Posted by: django ()
Date: December 2, 2019 21:07

Rolling Stones plans for 2020: First the album than continuing the tour. That sounds promissing. smileys with beer

Date: December 2, 2019 21:17

django
Rolling Stones plans for 2020: First the album than continuing the tour. That sounds promissing. smileys with beer
Yes!! 2020 will be an amazing year thumbs upwinking smiley

Date: December 2, 2019 21:25

TornAndFried

It is a good opportunity to learn some German. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: December 2, 2019 21:31

DiegoGlimmerStones
django
Yes!! 2020 will be an amazing year thumbs upwinking smiley
Only the one and only principal has the final word. We all should know by now that is Mick. I’m a huge Keith fan, but to me it’s clear that Mick is the boss

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: December 2, 2019 22:14

Then.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 2, 2019 22:40

RobertJohnson

[www.spiegel.de]

Ron Wood: "The Rolling Stones are indestructible" - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Monday, 2-Dec-2019, 1:05pm

einestages: A profane question to start with - how could you save your wild rock star mane over the years?

Ronnie Wood: Good question (scratches his head). Because of my hair, I even refused chemotherapy after being diagnosed with lung cancer two years ago.

einestages: When you met the comedian Groucho Marx in the seventies, he was said to have had a royal laugh at your hair.

Wood: I visited him in New York. When he opened the door, he looked at me: "What are you, a man or a chicken? That's the silliest hairstyle I've ever seen!" You just had to love Groucho.

einestages: Apropos influential personalities - you recently released "Mad Lad", a live album in honor of Chuck Berry.

Wood: This is pure coincidence. I didn't know that my concert of Chuck Berry songs in Wimborne was recorded live last year. Don Was, our producer, was behind it and said it had to be released. I wrote then still an original song for the album: "Tribute to Chuck Berry".

einestages: What does Berry mean to you?

Wood: He's the forefather of Rock'n'Roll. And so our all grandfather, mine, Keith's, John Lennon's and all the others. We idolized him. When he died in 2017, I thought the world would overflow with Chuck Berry honors, but it wasn't like that. So I had to do it.

einestages: Your colleague Keith Richards used to have a lot of trouble with him.

Wood: Because he took the freedom of touching Chuck's guitar. Never happened to me - I had the guitar in my hand more often. I think there was a love-hate relationship between them. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who understood Chuck.

einestages: Was it really Berry's quirk that he collected his fee before the show?

Wood: And cash! He was suspicious, had no manager either, hid the money in his guitar case. Then he rocked and disappeared right after the last note. He usually didn't even know the musicians on stage. He did his thing, and everyone had to follow his lead.

einestages: His questionable reputation went far beyond that. In 1959 Berry was sentenced to two years imprisonment for transporting a 14-year-old girl across state borders for "immoral purposes". In 1989, he was given a suspended sentence after installing a camera in the ladies' room of his restaurant in Missouri and collecting the videos.

Wood: He must have had a perverse streak. On the other hand, he wrote the most wonderful songs, sang about cars, girls, love and breaking out of everyday life.

einestages: What is Rock'n'Roll for you?

Wood: A spirit that was born by Chuck Berry and that lives on in us. You can't forget Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis and Little Richard. Chuck was the first, but Elvis Presley made rock'n'roll great by paying tribute to black musicians - like Chuck, Arthur Crudup or Big Mama Thornton, who sang "Hound Dog" in the original. He spread the message among the whites.

einestages: Would the Rolling Stones have existed without Chuck Berry?

Wood: Probably not. Mick and Keith met on the Dartford platform and only started talking because Mick had records of Muddy Waters and Chuck under his arm that Keith also liked. The first Stones single then became "Come On", a Chuck Berry song. And they also played his songs "Carol" or "Route 66" at their first gig in 1962 at the Marquee Club in London.

einestages: Is it true that you were supposed to replace the late Stones guitarist Brian Jones in 1969?

Wood: I played with Rod Stewart at the Faces. Jagger called and wanted to poach me. But our bass player Ronnie Lane picked up and turned Mick down without asking me: "Wood is very comfortable with us, thank you." That's it, the Stones hired Mick Taylor. I didn't know about it until five years later. I had always been a Stones fan. Being accepted by them later was a big deal. My dad was the proudest. From then on he only called me "Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones".

einestages: In 1974 you had first joined the Stones and helped compose "It's Only Rock'n'Roll (But I Like It)" even before you were a member of the band. You still didn't get a songwriting credit.

Wood: Well, that's rock'n'roll too. It's a Stones thing, "Jagger/Richards" is a seal of approval like "Lennon/McCartney". I understand that, somehow.

einestages: Didn't you feel like you were being tricked?

Wood: Nobody could have known that this would be a cult hit. Mick also wrote "I Can Feel The Fire" with me back then. I was working on my first solo album "I've Got My Own Album to Do". He suggested that I use the "Fire" song for it, and he's using "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" for the Stones album. I agreed without thinking much.

einestages: The collaboration soon intensified.

Wood: Yes, in Munich the guys recorded their album "Black And Blue" at Musicland Studios. I was with the Faces in Los Angeles and lay flat with a cold. Then Mick came forward and asked me to come to Munich immediately. They would need my help again. I felt honored and flew there. "Hey Negrita" was my first own song I wrote for the Stones (jumps up, dances and sings "Hey Negrita, hey now, hey conchita nanana"). I remember the wild times in Munich very well. Keith and I often hung out in this rock shed, the "Sugar Shack".

einestages: Does the Rolling Stones actually have democracy?

Wood: Yes, in a strange way. Over the years, the Jagger/Richards team became more open to other people's ideas. That wasn't always the case. They know exactly what they want. I've always respected that.

einestages: Do you still feel like "the new guy" after all these years?

Wood: Until a few months ago that was really the case.

einestages: And what happened then?

Wood: I finally realized that the Stones just need me, like in the studio: "Ronnie, you have to play bass on this and that number, please" and so on. I benefit from being able to play several instruments. Charlie said I was a seven-day-week type, always there when you need me. That's my nature.

einestages: You grew up in a social building in a London suburb.

Wood: In Yiewsley, near Heathrow Airport. I was the only one born in the family on the mainland. Before that my family had lived on a barge, my parents worked as bargemen and sailed on canals between London, Stratford-upon-Avon and Manchester.

einestages: Doesn't sound like a programmed rock'n'roll career.

Wood: Music was close to our family's heart. We are of Roma descent. Gypsy blood fits temperamentally perfectly to Rock'n'Roll. At home we always celebrated a lot, even though we were poor. My dad played harmonica and piano, my older brothers Art and Ted, both of whom are no longer alive, were in bands, Art even used to play with Charlie Watts with Alexis Korner. We heard a lot of blues from Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf.

einestages: "Blue and Lonesome", the last Stones album, consisted of Blues cover songs. Is a completely new work to be expected?

Wood: Yes. We are already there. The new album is like a puzzle, we still have to put the missing pieces together. We hope to release it in 2020 and then continue our world tour.

einestages: You look top fit. You were diagnosed with lung cancer in 2017.

Wood: After 50 years of chain smoking my life was hanging by a thread, but I survived. That's why the new documentary about my life is called "Somebody Up There Likes Me", someone up there probably likes me. The doctors were able to remove the tumor from my left lung, thank God the cancer had not spread. Now my lung works like a young man who never smoked. Four years ago I finally quit smoking.

einestages: cigarettes and alcohol were not your only vice. You used to party with celebrities like Bob Marley, Muhammad Ali, Tony Curtis and Sly Stone and are said to have gone to parties with your own Bunsen burner. What for?

Wood: To work the coke so I could smoke it. The seventies were by far my wildest time.

einestages: You survived all this. And Mick Jagger had a heavy heart operation last summer, soon after he was back on stage...

Wood: ...not to mention Charlie Watts, who had laryngeal cancer a few years ago, and Keith with his severe cerebral hemorrhage after falling from a palm tree. Everything went well, a big miracle. The Stones are simply indestructible.

Translated with: [www.DeepL.com] .

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 2, 2019 23:01

TornAndFried

Half your name is German...

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: December 2, 2019 23:02

einestages: Is it true that you were supposed to replace the late Stones guitarist Brian Jones in 1969?

Wood: I played with Rod Stewart at the Faces. Jagger called and wanted to poach me. But our bass player Ronnie Lane picked up and turned Mick down without asking me: "Wood is very comfortable with us, thank you." That's it, the Stones hired Mick Taylor. I didn't know about it until five years later.

It always sends a shiver down my spine when I realize how close we all came to the Apocalypse ...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 2, 2019 23:05

django

“We hope to release it in 2020 and then continue our world tour”

So nothing is set in stone.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 2, 2019 23:29

what's really interesting is the German local newspaper Neue Westfälische (published in Bielefeld) on Nov 15th had an article on Ronnie Wood (most likely based on the same 'meet the press' event as Spiegel's interview) that has much more musical content:
[www.nw.de]
(amzing since Neue Westfälische is so much smaller than Der Spiegel (Germany's biggest news magazine)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-02 23:40 by slewan.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 3, 2019 05:59

LazarusSmith

It always sends a shiver down my spine when I realize how close we all came to the Apocalypse ...

I've never believed this particular story that Ronnie enjoys telling, but your response made me laugh out loud and is worthy of applause.

Ronnie likes to claim he was at Hyde Park when they played too even though he was doing a gig with The Jeff Beck Group on that day. I don't think he was actually with The Faces and The Jeff Beck Group at the same time (June/July 1969), but he's told it so often now he likely believes it. It's like Muddy painting the ceiling at Chess and Keith grabbing Mick's foot when Charlie's punch sent him across the serving table, through an open window, and nearly in the canal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-03 05:59 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: December 3, 2019 10:18

Thanks for the link. Great read :-)

Date: December 3, 2019 12:15

slewan

German local newspaper Neue Westfälische (published in Bielefeld) on Nov 15th had an article on Ronnie Wood (most likely based on the same 'meet the press' event as Spiegel's interview) that has much more musical content: [www.nw.de]

Ron Wood pays homage to Chuck Berry

The 72-year-old talks about his new live album, his great musical idol, his perfectionism, painting and his personal guardian angel.

Steffen Rüth, 15-Nov-2019, 9:43am

London. At some point in the last third of the 20-minute meeting, one must almost speak of an audience, Ronnie Wood begins to pull himself by the hair, and to be more precise, vigorously. "Everything wig," he says and laughs so sweetly, as if he had not indulged in this fun for the presumably thousandth time, but for the very first time. Not true, of course.

The artistically sophisticated hair is made of real hair, not quite natural black, of course. "My hair is safe with me", Ronnie shouts, "with over 70 it is no longer to be expected that they will still fall out".

A big child in the midst of staged pomposity

Ronnie Wood is sitting this afternoon, at least most of the time, the waggishness on the back of his neck. But only him, too. In contrast, Ronnie's entourage seems tense and runs around with the proverbial stopwatch. Ronnie Wood receives his conversation partner in the presidential suite of the London "Landmark"-Hotel, a very luxurious and venerable house in the rich quarter Marylebone.

All around him: the proverbial bustle of friendly smiling and patient PR ladies as well as the puffing up types of record companies. One had almost forgotten that these clichés actually still exist. And Ronnie Wood himself? Gives the happy child in the midst of all the staged pomposity, jumps up to greet him and jumps a bit through the huge main room.

"Chuck's music buzzed with energy. I wanted to make this power palpable.

Wood, who became known as a member of the Jeff Beck Group, then joined Rod Stewart at the Faces - he is still a close friend of Stewart today - and since 1975, of course, first and foremost as the guitarist of the Rolling Stones, wants to talk about his album "Mad Lad": a live recorded homage to Chuck Berry, one of his great blues heroes. "Chuck is one of the essential role models of my childhood and youth," says Wood, "and one of my early formative influences as a guitarist. His music was full of energy, and I wanted to make this power palpable on 'Mad Lad' as well".

The album was "created completely without calculation, ulterior motives or any other nonsense. But rather spontaneously and with great joy of playing". Wood recorded "Mad Lad" on two evenings at the "Tivoli Theatre" in Wimborne, this nationally known about 500 people club in a village on the English south coast. He says: "We took most of the recordings directly from the rehearsal before the first concert. We sounded freshest there."

Full of fervor, Wood and his band play their way through the program.

He is supported by the pianist Ben Waters and the Irish soul singer Imelda May. Very sovereign and full of fervor, Wood and his band play their way through the program, which consists of Chuck Berry classics like "Johnny B Goode", "Little Queenie" or "Rock 'n' Roll Music", but also of lesser known numbers.

How he discovered Chuck Berry? "I heard an album called 'Jukebox Hits' with songs like 'No Particular Place To Go' or 'Mad Lad' on it. I found the lap steel guitar totally exciting, I didn't even know this instrument yet". Additional fun: Albums by musicians like Chuck Berry were not easy to get in England in the late 50s, early 60s. "We were dependent on American imports and exchanged our hard-earned records with each other. So Mick Jagger and Keith Richards made friends - sharing a Muddy Waters album."

"We felt like a small, sworn gang."

Such leisure activities no longer exist among today's teenagers. "It's become super easy to find even the most remote music on the net." It also has something for itself, you just save time, "but what has been lost is this fantasy-stimulating power of ravishing, passionate music. We felt like a small, sworn gang when we listened to records by Jimmy Reed, Howlin' Wolf or Chuck Berry." But he didn't learn much from his mentor. He met Berry so often that "my fingers are enough to count".

It was even rather the other way around. "Chuck was quite careless on stage. He didn't care if his guitar was tuned and he didn't care about his band at all. The older he got, the easier and rougher he played. The only thing that really mattered to him was the money he got for the gig." Berry had also not been very nice to his fellow men. "Let's say how it is, he could be a monster. But to me he has always been friendly and respectful."

Ronnie Wood is a meticulous musician until he falls down.

As a musician, Wood is the counterpart to Berry - meticulous to the bone, especially with the Stones. "We continue to pay attention to every detail and prepare ourselves very carefully. We are as far away from 'take the money and run' as you can be." He says Ronnie Wood would love to play live with the Rolling Stones again next year.

They are in contact, have already recorded music, but what exactly should happen in the near future has not yet been decided. He won't get bored anyway. Besides painting, which he indulges more and more (he painted the album cover of "Mad Lad" himself), he wants to go on a solo tour. And then there is "Somebody up there Likes Me", the documentary film by Mike Figgis ("Leaving Las Vegas") about the eventful life of Ronnie Wood, who is coming to the cinema in spring 2020.

"It's very nice that I still have my life."

For decades Wood was addicted to alcohol, he also dealt extensively with cocaine (and often took a Bunsen burner to parties to prepare the drugs), the receipt for 50 years of chain smoking he got two years ago in the form of lung cancer, from which he, as he says, fully recovered.

It's very nice that I still have my life," Wood says, rather casually, "but you can actually tell the joy about how he's sitting like that and yet getting serious. "I had a guardian angel." He was a real "party monster", he could never get enough, even the Stones threatened to expel him in the meantime. "I don't regret the excesses, but I don't miss them at all. Today my life is completely different".

"I practically never go to bed before two in the morning."

Wood has six children of three women, in 2012 he married the theatre producer Sally Humphries, the couple has the three-year-old twin girls Alice and Gracie. "The two are two real angels," enthuses Ronnie. "Every night, when I'm home, I put them to bed. Of course, they never want to fall asleep, that's what they get from their father. I practically never go to bed before two in the morning, but that is really the last unhealthy habit I have left."

Translated with: [www.DeepL.com] .

Posted by: RG ()
Date: December 3, 2019 12:40

Wood: Yes. We are already there. The new album is like a puzzle, we still have to put the missing pieces together. We hope to release it in 2020 and then continue our world tour.

SOUNDS REALLY, REALLY GOOD !! thumbs uphot smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 3, 2019 15:56

Actually his Documentary film has already got a Cinema release, in the UK.
Which is one step ahead of Bill Wyman's. I hope it's not the Mandy Smith issue which is the stumbling block?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 3, 2019 16:55

RobertJohnson
TornAndFried

It is a good opportunity to learn some German. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"Nicht gewalt, bitte!"... Works fine most of the time!

Date: December 3, 2019 19:41

dcba
RobertJohnson
TornAndFried

though not in a German test (correct wording is "Bitte keine Gewalt")

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: December 5, 2019 17:17

slewan
dcba
RobertJohnson
TornAndFried

come on, there are so many other beautiful german words:

- Bratwurst
- Oktoberfest
- Autobahn

... I think, that´s all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-05 17:18 by deardoctor.

Date: December 5, 2019 17:30

deardoctor
slewan
dcba
RobertJohnson
TornAndFried

- Bratwurst
- Oktoberfest
- Autobahn

... I think, that´s all.

.... and not to forget: Sauerkraut .... winking smiley

Musically: Sauerkraut -> The Krauts (German people) -> Krautrock (German Music early 1970s) -- [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-05 20:15 by Irix.

Date: December 5, 2019 18:08

deardoctor
slewan
dcba
RobertJohnson
TornAndFried

- Bratwurst
- Oktoberfest
- Autobahn

... I think, that´s all.

repeat after me:

"Bitte keine Bratwurst"
"Bitte kein Oktoberfest"
"Bitte keine Autobahn"
"Bei Sauerkraut muss ich kotzen"

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: December 6, 2019 14:44

slewan
deardoctor
slewan
dcba
RobertJohnson
TornAndFried

- Bratwurst
- Oktoberfest
- Autobahn

... I think, that´s all.

repeat after me:

"Bitte keine Bratwurst"
"Bitte kein Oktoberfest"
"Bitte keine Autobahn"
"Bei Sauerkraut muss ich kotzen"

Slewan, you're a german guy!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 6, 2019 15:26

slewan

You're right, my mistake! German is a beautiful language btw.

Date: December 6, 2019 17:22

dcba
slewan

Na, dann können wir ja einen Monat lang hier alle Deutsch schreiben, und damit unsere holländischen, norwegischen, französischen, portugiesischen, spanischen etc. Freunde zufrieden sind, dann je einen Monat in diesen Sprachen ...>grinning smiley<

Date: December 6, 2019 17:27

RobertJohnson
dcba
slewan

Na, dann können wir ja einen Monat lang hier alle Deutsch schreiben, und damit unsere holländischen, norwegischen, französischen, portugiesischen, spanischen etc. Freunde zufrieden sind, dann je einen Monat in diesen Sprachen ...>grinning smiley<

Na also also.

GünterSchneider.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-06 17:45 by TheflyingDutchman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2090
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home