Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Guitar video "Why Keith kicks ***"
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 2, 2019 14:24

Re: Guitar video "Why Keith kicks ***"
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 2, 2019 17:36

I thought this thread would be an explanation on why Keith has being doing them "kicks" on stage ever after 1988, I can't see the reason for them

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 2, 2019 18:05

Same here Erik_Snow...kicking at imaginary objects while flailing his arms around has always been one of the great mysteries.

Date: December 2, 2019 18:09

Yeah it's a wonder; if he had tambourines or jingle-bells or something attached to them, like some streetmusicians has, I'd get the point, but since he hasn't....?

Date: December 2, 2019 18:19

Lol...and to think of all the crap he used to have dangling from his hair (bells, whistles, fish hooks, etc)- surprised he didn't shake his head more for musical accompaniment, but no....it was all about kicking and flailing silently.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: December 2, 2019 18:43

Keith is a R'n'R animal, playing live his whole body and being is feeling the music he is making.

IMHO the movements are not contrived.

Date: December 2, 2019 19:32

beachbreak
Keith is a R'n'R animal, playing live his whole body and being is feeling the music he is making.

IMHO the movements are not contrived.

No it wasn't contrived - it was sort of an involuntary reaction to the music, something in the air, and/or something in his mind.
Interestingly though, in recent years his stage presence is much more subtle and laid back (i.e. no kicking/flailing about). He's much more focused on playing vs. movement, and by all accounts his playing is better than it's been in years.
Also interesting to note is the odd kicks and the random flails weren't as visually present throughout the '60's and '70's (if at all) when he was at his very best.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 2, 2019 19:42

He literally does. [twitter.com]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 2, 2019 20:13

I always enjoyed his riffy movements. It's a great part of his stage presence.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: December 3, 2019 07:50

Erik_Snow
Yeah it's a wonder; if he had tambourines or jingle-bells or something attached to them, like some streetmusicians has, I'd get the point, but since he hasn't....?

Maybe his practising for later times, when the rest of the band is gone and he have to do it all by him self?thumbs updrinking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 3, 2019 14:44

Hairball
Same here Erik_Snow...kicking at imaginary objects while flailing his arms around has always been one of the great mysteries.

It happened... when Sessler's nose candy was a bit too pure. grinning smiley

Date: December 3, 2019 19:17

I love it all, then and now, it's Keith!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 3, 2019 19:33

Erik_Snow
I thought this thread would be an explanation on why Keith has being doing them "kicks" on stage ever after 1988, I can't see the reason for them

It’s a distraction, because he forgot the next chord.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: December 3, 2019 21:24

Semi-serious answer to a non-serious (but awesome) question:

I believe Keef started kickin' it when he became a front man in '88. He had a different role and seemed to have a blast letting go & moving freely when the music moved him. So... he's feeling it, he's gotta move that body, but what part of himself is he actually free to move while playing? He does makes some cool moves w/ his arms, hands & shoulders to punctuate a point while riffing, but they're generally occupied doing very important things. He has a repertoire of cool facial expressions that pass across his face when he's really into it, but I wouldn't classify them as movement (though they are iconic). So what's left? The legs! The confident gait, the side lunge, the knee-drop and (YES!) The Side Kick! When you think about it, with that guitar strapped to his body, sideways is the only way to go. The kicks always seemed spontaneous to me, a knee-jerk reaction to those moments when he felt things really cooking onstage. I miss those moves. Here's hoping Keith hits the gym and loosens up those hip flexors - I want to see some high side-kicking on the next tour winking smiley

Date: December 3, 2019 22:16

Word Plink!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 3, 2019 23:01

why Keith has being doing them "kicks" on stage ever after 1988, I can't see the reason for them

….. what else ya gonna do when ya panty-hose creeeeep up and up …….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 3, 2019 23:24

Plink

I believe Keef started kickin' it when he became a front man in '88.

He has a repertoire of cool facial expressions that pass across his face when he's really into it, but I wouldn't classify them as movement (though they are iconic). So what's left? The legs!

Good answer (better than mine!). And in a concert situation, 20m from the stage, punters cannot see facial expressions but they can see leg movement.
"Whoa, look darling, Keef's kicking his bassist in the jaw! What a great show!!"

Maybe that's why Drayton split in 93. He was tired of smelling Keef's (smelly?) sneakers? grinning smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 4, 2019 02:40

When he was at his best, and feeling it, he'd shake that skinny ass.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 4, 2019 03:32

Hallucinations?

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 4, 2019 09:52

I really meant the clip as a commentary on Keith's musical style, but I see I was mistaken in my interpretation of the main issue. smiling smiley

Date: December 4, 2019 12:06

Plink

I believe Keef started kickin' it when he became a front man in '88. He had a different role and seemed to have a blast letting go & moving freely when the music moved him. So... he's feeling it, he's gotta move that body, but what part of himself is he actually free to move while playing? He does makes some cool moves w/ his arms, hands & shoulders to punctuate a point while riffing, but they're generally occupied doing very important things. He has a repertoire of cool facial expressions that pass across his face when he's really into it, but I wouldn't classify them as movement (though they are iconic). So what's left? The legs! The confident gait, the side lunge, the knee-drop and (YES!) The Side Kick! When you think about it, with that guitar strapped to his body, sideways is the only way to go. The kicks always seemed spontaneous to me, a knee-jerk reaction to those moments when he felt things really cooking onstage. I miss those moves. Here's hoping Keith hits the gym and loosens up those hip flexors - I want to see some high side-kicking on the next tour winking smiley

Good post! Although Keith was kicking about by 1981 already smiling smiley

It might have started for the 1980/81 music videos.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 4, 2019 14:22

I don't know what's not to like about Keith's onstage persona. It's total Rock and Roll.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: December 4, 2019 17:45

I didn’t realize Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was such a huge Keith fan and dame good guitar player.

Here he is teaching again.....smiling smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 4, 2019 18:23

It's pretty obvious Keith became more physical onstage for two reasons:

1. When he transitioned from smack to blow, he had more "pep" onstage in the early '80s.

2. When he became a frontman himself in 1988, he realized the importance of having a visual component to his stage performance, and he tried his hand at being a co-frontman with Mick starting in 1989 until 2007.

Date: December 4, 2019 18:43

keefriff99
... and he tried his hand at being a co-frontman with Mick starting in 1989 until 2007.

you mean his foot !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-04 19:02 by Erik_Snow.

Date: December 4, 2019 19:00

Mick showing him how it's done.....

Date: December 4, 2019 19:17

There, in 78, Keith understands the movement in theory, but it took 10 years of practicing before his body would follow

Date: December 5, 2019 02:16

Musicman amp and coiled guitar chord...cool!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1221
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home