Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What has been your favorite moment seeing the Stones live so far?
Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: December 3, 2019 10:37

The opening of my first concert back in 1976.

Time is on my side at Munich, June 10, 1982 (could anyone upload this concert on YouTube, please? Bootleg Willkommen in Munchen)

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 3, 2019 10:53

The whole concert (my first time) in the 6th row on September 6, 1970 in Gothenburg ("Stora scenen", Liseberg).

Date: December 3, 2019 11:00

Witness
The whole concert (my first time) in the 6th row on September 6, 1970 in Gothenburg ("Stora scenen", Liseberg).

The Stones in that amusement park? Must have been something thumbs up

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 3, 2019 12:46

DandelionPowderman
Witness

The Stones in that amusement park? Must have been something thumbs up

It was said at the time, correct or uncorrect, that they played their best concerts "out-of-doors" up to then in Sweden.

Later added:
[www.setlist.fm]

That is, with "Dead Flowers" included before it had been released, and with so many songs that were comparatively new, probably also in road versions. All in all, really something!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-03 13:01 by Witness.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 3, 2019 13:36

bridges to babylon in portland, or. an arena show that was almost a preview of no security. i was sitting back corner of the stage. while keith was center stage at the start, mick was literally 10 feet away from me waiting to make his entrance. it was 1 of my better stones shows!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 3, 2019 15:31

Midnight Rambler - 2018 Twickenham with that "Come On In My Kitchen" interpolation. Worth the gold circle admission alone.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: December 3, 2019 15:40

Hand slap from Jagger 1976 Leicester. Haven't washed my hands since then.
My missus moving lightning fast as Keith threw a pick Wembley Arena 2003, needless to say she got it

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: December 3, 2019 16:20

Sept.26 1973 - the lights got dimmed, the folks screamed and
the opening of Brown Sugar - wow, doesn't get any better than this

Resotele

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 3, 2019 16:34

Cardiff, 2018. I was in Pit B on the catwalk rail. Keith went to start JJF but there was an issue with his guitar and they had to stop while he went and sorted it. He came back, striding down the catwalk, stopped in front of me, looked me right in the eye (OK, allow me my dreams... it sure seemed like it), shrugged, grinned and blasted the opening chord. Shivers...

Or was it Newark, December 2012 when they played Around and Around?

Or was it March 2008 in NYC when, after the Shine A Light press conference I got trapped in a tiny hallway with all 4 of them for 10 minutes? It wasn’t a concert, but they sure were live!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 3, 2019 17:17

to this day every show is always a complete joy ...

But nothing will ever surpass my first show at Manchester in 1973 when I was 13.

Posted by: AJDuffer ()
Date: December 3, 2019 18:18

Many unforgettable highlights for me during 18 Stones concerts. A few that stand out the most include:

July 2015, Indianapolis - when Mick Jagger grabbed my cell phone for a selfie on b-stage during Miss You

June 2019, Chicago - seeing Mick Jagger so full of energy running the stage during the opening Street Fighting Man following his heart surgery earlier in the year

June 2013, Chicago - front row seat for my 50th birthday with a special delivery of As Tears Go By

November 1981, St. Paul - the entrance of the Stones to Under my Thumb at my first Stones show, hooked ever since

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 3, 2019 20:03

Oh, SO MANY but the one that comes to mind is from April 20, 1998 in Montreal: I had just met with Mick in the bar at his hotel, the Weston, ( I was staying there too) and I'd given him an enormous Union Jack to use onstage and after we'd chatted about the show the night before and lots of other things, and after he thanked me for the gift I told him I'd be in the third row that night and would be waving a smaller Union Jack..he told me " I'll be looking for you, Debra!"....and he DID! He saw me waving the flag and he danced over to me, lifted up his red tee shirt and looked right at me, nodding! I ALMOST FELL OVER! I won't be able to beat that memory any time soon!

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 3, 2019 22:06

So many concerts over a period of five decades made it impossible to choose one moment. People like Hairball will understand. Even naming ten moments would be a big understatement of the highlights I have experienced. So I just mention a few big surprises, which still make me smile with incredible disbelieve.

1973 Hamburg. Almost front of stage Mick (J) suddenly looked me right in the face at the end of the show and waved. Since I was going to Japan after that for several years, I thought I would never see the Stones as a band again, like if that was a sign (well, luckily it wasn't)
1994 New Jersey. The Stones opened with Not Fade Away, the song that just over 40 years earlier started my life as a Stones fan. Big surprise!
1995 Nijmegen. I was taken out because of my camera (got it back after the show), but when I returned to "my" spot, Keith, at the end of Happy, threw his guitar pick in my direction. When I found it in the dark and looked at him, he gave that amazing typical Keith smile to me.
2002 Orpheum Theatre, Boston. Out of the blue (but in retrospect not really) Mick announced that they were going to do Parachute Woman. I was shocked, because (apart from the Stones themselves of course, and certainly Keithwinking smiley) only three others (including myself) know/knew why.
2003 Rotterdam. At a given moment Mick stopped at the catwalk right in front of me and smiled some ten seconds to me (it for sure was his way of showing appreciation for what I had done fanclub wise for the band and the fans).
2003 Utrecht. Why Vredenburg? You can ask the Stones, but I was and wasn't surprised. Without going into details, it was an amazing experience!
2005 Denver, CO (Thanksgiving Day). I had a seat next to a Japanese guy, right in front and it looked like at times we had a private concert, because Keith and Ronnie joined more than usual almost in front of us playing their parts of the songs. The turkey on wheels was a highlight.
2015 Raleigh, SC. Keith at some moment stepped up "in front of me" on the B-stage, looked at me and made a bow. I fixed the moment with my iPhone. Wow.
2017 Arnhem. During Street Fighting Man Mick decided to take of a T-shirt, fold it, whiped his forehead with it and threw it toward my daughter (I think, because she was the only girl at that spot surrounded by men). Long story, but that shirt is now part of my collection.
But really, the whole journey so far of the past five decades has been "one big great moment".
smileys with beer

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: December 4, 2019 05:13

1976 Brussels was fantastic !

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: December 4, 2019 06:09

L.A Forum, July 10, 1975. Watching that lotus stage fold down and then HTW.
Lord have mercy, that was awesome.

Date: December 4, 2019 14:47

The first chords of every show are my favorite. Except when it's a scarf me up situation.

Also special memories from a lot of Midnight Ramblers, Keith smiles, close up experiences on the b stage, great venues (slane comes to mind). But also the thrill of a pit ticket from a lucky dip.

Date: December 4, 2019 15:26

Ronnie taking over the mic during Keith’s set in Stockholm 2003 was also a quite an experience. Keith was completely flabbergasted smiling smiley

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: December 4, 2019 15:55

MSG 1972 - My first show and only time I saw them with MT other than the guest shots in 2012-13

Hampton VA 1981 - The famous pay-per-view show and I got to meet Keith and Ronnie at the back stage after party

Toad's Place 1989 - My first "club show"

Paradiso Amsterdam (both shows) - Perhaps their middle age peak with amazing setlists and acoustic numbers

Philadelphia 1999 - No Security - my brother caught Charlie's drumstick and awarded it to me

Kansas City 2015 - Just a great show representing (IMO) the return to stadium excellence in sound and fury (great SFM and rare take on the song Kansas City)

Wash DC 2019 - Played Mercy Mercy, the first song on my first Stones LP (OOOH) purchased when I was 11 years old. Not to mention how great the No Filter shows have been in general

HBK

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 11, 2019 04:44

I guess seeing them in Philadelphia in 1969.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: December 12, 2019 11:59

I'd guess the very first moment I saw them live and they came on stage. Glasgow Apollo 1982. I was sick with excitement. Nothing has ever quite equalled that moment. Musically, I'd say Can't You Hear Me Knocking at The SECC Glasgow on the Licks Tour.thumbs up

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: December 12, 2019 12:25

HouseBoyKnows
MSG 1972 - My first show and only time I saw them with MT other than the guest shots in 2012-13

Hampton VA 1981 - The famous pay-per-view show and I got to meet Keith and Ronnie at the back stage after party

Paradiso Amsterdam (both shows) - Perhaps their middle age peak with amazing setlists and acoustic numbers

Philadelphia 1999 - No Security - my brother caught Charlie's drumstick and awarded it to me

Kansas City 2015 - Just a great show representing (IMO) the return to stadium excellence in sound and fury (great SFM and rare take on the song Kansas City)

Wash DC 2019 - Played Mercy Mercy, the first song on my first Stones LP (OOOH) purchased when I was 11 years old. Not to mention how great the No Filter shows have been in general

HBK

WOWsmileys with beer

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 12, 2019 15:33

Dandy wrote "Ronnie taking over the mic during Keith’s set in Stockholm 2003 was also a quite an experience. Keith was completely flabbergasted"

Ronnie: "Everyone's allowed a bump in the road..."

"-You alright Ronnie? D'you got anything else ya wanna say, just let me know you know?"

I was leaning next to the b-stage and couldn't believe my ears! Happy days!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-12 15:34 by MadMax.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: December 12, 2019 16:04

Seeing them play "Memory Motel" in Boston in 2013. I recorded and posted it as an homage to a close friend who passed away in 2008. Here is a link to the video.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 12, 2019 16:13

HouseBoyKnows

Wow, just these five shows here are pieces of history...this is legendary.

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: December 12, 2019 16:18

A wave from Charlie and Stu before Boulder #2 in October 1981 smiling smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 12, 2019 16:51

Watching Mick Taylor play that incredible solo in You Can't Always Get What You Want at Wembley Sept 73.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 12, 2019 17:11

My next one cool smiley

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: December 12, 2019 18:08

georgie48

2002 Orpheum Theatre, Boston. Out of the blue (but in retrospect not really) Mick announced that they were going to do Parachute Woman. I was shocked, because (apart from the Stones themselves of course, and certainly Keithwinking smiley) only three others (including myself) know/knew why.
smileys with beer

Can you share the reason why it was played?

Posted by: JohnnySnapps ()
Date: December 13, 2019 04:04

Roseland Ballroom, Sept. 30, 2002. When Mick announced She Smiled Sweetly, I was stunned. I NEVER thought I would hear them play that one live! (Being about 3 feet from the stage didn't hurt either!)

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 13, 2019 05:08

I love the “so far” at the end of the question. Hope springs eternal!!

Compared to so many of you, my moment is pretty small. But I remember it like it was yesterday:

When they took the stage at the LA Forum, November 7, 1969. Mick came out wearing the Uncle Sam red, white, and blue hat, and shouted “Yeah!!”. That began an epic, unforgettable concert. The anticipation for that moment was unreal. What a show!!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1701
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home