Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones, Twins - Genius?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 1, 2019 18:27

Imho 100 years from now ppl will draw 3 names to represent the (late) 20th century rock genre : Dylan, Hendrix, and the stones. The rest will be forgotten.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 1, 2019 18:29

dcba
Imho 100 years from now ppl will draw 3 names to represent the (late) 20th century rock genre : Dylan, Hendrix, and the stones. The rest will be forgotten.

What?? No Lionel Richie??

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 1, 2019 18:40

dcba

IMHO no discussion would be complete without mention of The Beatles and the massive influence/impact they had (and still have) on rock and roll.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 1, 2019 18:51

If you were to just go by their I.Q., they might be.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 1, 2019 19:02

ryanpow

Talking of IQ's.
I believe Brian Jones scored 144 which probably put him in the top 5% of the population (I believe).
Obviously the more important issues, namely life, social and coping skills are not included in the assessment.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: December 2, 2019 01:39

dcba

I wouldn't put Dylan in the "rock" genre...

but....that's just me.

Pink Floyd always seems to get overlooked as "pretty darn genius"...I think they are certainly one of the most unique "rock" bands and sounds....very creative....IMO.

I concede they probably wouldn't make your "3 names" list, though.

...I'm not a big Beatles fan, but no chance they aren't part of this discussion you propose.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 2, 2019 02:10

Hard to say, about genius. really successful and really lucky too. they figured tour marketing out, certainly. long history so give them so much respect for knowing themselves and respecting each other. Great songs, charismatic personalities.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 2, 2019 02:24

jlowe
ryanpow

Talking of IQ's.
I believe Brian Jones scored 144 which probably put him in the top 5% of the population (I believe).
Obviously the more important issues, namely life, social and coping skills are not included in the assessment.

Your right he only missed the knowledge of putting Do Re Mi Fa So La Si Do in the right order....grinning smiley

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 2, 2019 04:47

Hairball
Masters yes, but genius? No.

This guys a genius, though his choice of guitar here is questionable. winking smiley

"I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music". - Einstein

Didn't Mick once tell him "Maybe I couldn't come up with General Relativity but you could have never written Satisfaction"?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 2, 2019 17:25

I have been playing the guitar for 3/5 of my life, and I am no Keith Richards, not even close.

This means that either he is a genius or I am very stupid …

C

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 2, 2019 23:52

depends what a genius is, if we took all the geniuses in the world and made them swap jobs those geniuses would become a majpr eff up. cant imagine armstrong and adrin doing the stones song writing or mick and keith on apollo 11.

But as musicians and song writers the stones are the top band, i think the majority of bands would choose to be like the stones than anyone else, they have the style, aggresion, beat, rhythm, melody that most bands would want.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 3, 2019 14:35

buttons67

But as musicians and song writers the stones are the top band, i think the majority of bands would choose to be like the stones than anyone else, they have the style, aggresion, beat, rhythm, melody that most bands would want.

You're right! People like Clapton, Harrison, Lennon (until "something" flippied his mind), Bono, Hendrickx, Bon Jovi, even Mercury ( who loved Mick stage act of the early seventies!), Angus, the Aerosmith guys, Slash, Dylan, the Who guys, and so on and so on (not mentioning some top female artists) publically expressed their admiration for the Stones and their unique approach of making and (re)presenting popular music.
But genius? Not really.
smileys with beer

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 5, 2019 13:39

NICOS

Your right he only missed the knowledge of putting Do Re Mi Fa So La Si Do in the right order....grinning smiley

Tsk tsk NICOS.

The Rolling Stones - Ruby Tuesday (instrumental) - featuring Brian Jones playing piano and recorder

As for the original question.

It's all relative innit?

In relation to the music world they inhabit, yes, they were geniuses for awhile.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1742
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home