Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Wow, 30 years since the Steel Wheels Tour!
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: November 27, 2019 19:38

I got a chance to see them twice during that tour in 1989, in Birmingham and in Atlanta.

At the time, many folks were thinking that Steel Wheels was either the last or the next to last tour. I figured they had a chance to do a few more than that, but definitely not more than another ten years or so at the time.

And, here we are thirty years later and thinking about shows in 2020. Amazing, isn't it?

How many of you, in 1989 were thinking, "yeah, 2020, they'll be great!" ?

Re: Wow, 30 years since the Steel Wheels Tour!
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 27, 2019 19:43

Steel Wheels made me a fan when I was 13 My favorite tour along with Bridges & Licks. Amazing that 1989-2019 is longer period of time than 1962-1989. I think back in 2013 people were posting on here about how long they might go and I was an outlier in saying that could make it to the end of the decade. We're now at decade's end and still rolling with Charlie coming up fast on 80.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 27, 2019 21:24

thumbs up
Send It To me
Steel Wheels made me a fan when I was 13 My favorite tour along with Bridges & Licks. Amazing that 1989-2019 is longer period of time than 1962-1989. I think back in 2013 people were posting on here about how long they might go and I was an outlier in saying that could make it to the end of the decade. We're now at decade's end and still rolling with Charlie coming up fast on 80.

Steel Wheels made me a fan too! At 15 though. I knew more about the opener (Living Colour) than I did about the Stones going into my '89 show. I came out of that show knowing I had a lot of research to do!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-27 21:25 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 27, 2019 22:15

Mongoose

Nobody in their right mind.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 27, 2019 22:24

In 1990 I saw them first, Steel Wheels turned me into a fan, so I like that period. It is fantastic that they are still going, and certainly nobody would have thought that they would continue to perform for three more decades back in 1989/90. A great thread, thank you all for your posts!

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: November 28, 2019 01:53

Saw this tour at Shea Stadium.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 28, 2019 02:20

was my first tour, thought they would quit early 90,s, just didnt see rock stars perform in thier late 50,s or 60,s or 70,s, its strange how in terms of years, the sw tour is in the first half.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: November 28, 2019 03:28

loog droog
Mongoose

Nobody in their right mind.

Yet the artists themselves were surely counting on it.

There's that interview clip from the early 70s that was included in the Shine A Light movie, where Mick is asked if he could see himself performing into his 60s and he replies, without hesitation: "Yeah, easily."

In a television interview from around the early to mid 80s, Jerry Lee Lewis said: "I'll still be out there at 90."

Around 1989 or so, there was a television interview with Paul McCartney discussing his return to touring, and on the subject of longevity Macca, then 47, said: "I'm only halfway though this."

Ironically, this may be what has ultimately killed the appeal of rock music for more recently emerging generations, the realization that, like tap-dancing, rock music can still be played by senior citizens.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: November 28, 2019 03:50

Saw em in Vancouver once.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 28, 2019 03:51

Remember comedians were jokingly calling it the Steel Wheelchairs tour because Mick was 46 and sooo old!!! smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 28, 2019 04:31

Mongoose
I got a chance to see them twice during that tour in 1989, in Birmingham and in Atlanta.

At the time, many folks were thinking that Steel Wheels was either the last or the next to last tour. I figured they had a chance to do a few more than that, but definitely not more than another ten years or so at the time.

And, here we are thirty years later and thinking about shows in 2020. Amazing, isn't it?

At the time I wasn't concerned about how long they would/could/might go. It didn't matter. It still doesn't. After that tour, nothing surprised me in regard to them continuing. It did feel a little bit like after the BANG tour that it might be over, way more so than anything in the 1980s, mainly because it just seemed to tired.

The break they took was a great decision. It made me laugh that they bothered playing something from STEEL WHEELS on the '019 tour, a nice little nod to it, which lets us know they do think of those things a little bit.

Just a little bit.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: November 28, 2019 05:33

I had fun during that tour...it was great to see them out and about again.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: November 28, 2019 05:36

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: November 28, 2019 06:40

My first Stones gig was Cincinnati...

Then Indy #2, then Pontiac #1...

Great memories of that tour and the start of the quest for more and more!

Bring on 2020!

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 28, 2019 07:44

The shock of the giant post-industrial nightmare mega stage!

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: November 28, 2019 08:21

My first time experience seeing the Stones was one year later during the Urban Jungle tour and the European Steel Wheels part in Berlin. I was 17 and not even close to thinking what'll be going to be happening next year. So, 2020 was rather kind of science fiction topic :-)

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: November 28, 2019 09:37

I was born in 1987 and got a Stones fan in 1999 when I HAD TO (!) do a report About The Rolling Stones at School. Until then I had not really a defined favourite band but once I heard them (my first favourite was LSTNT) everything happened… My first concert was Olympiahalle Munich in 2003, today I've seen 39 shows.

Personally, I love the era beginning with 1989/90, and sometimes I don't understand why some people don't like this very era. Maybe it's because I was born then and it has another meaning to me but still... great albums there published since then, especially Bridges To Babylon.

I think it's a great histroic mark that 1989/90 is now in the first part of their creation. One day we'll know, when the very middle point of The Rolling Stones was...

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 28, 2019 14:13

I liked the tour (Urban Jungle) at the time, but listening to it I find an underwhelming experience. The Voodoo Lounge, Bridges, No Security tours are a lot more fun. Is it me, or is Steel Wheels just too keyboard-happy ?

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: November 28, 2019 18:59

Meise
My first time experience seeing the Stones was one year later during the Urban Jungle tour and the European Steel Wheels part in Berlin. I was 17 and not even close to thinking what'll be going to be happening next year. So, 2020 was rather kind of science fiction topic :-)

My first time experience seeing the Stones was also one year later during the Urban Jungle tour and also the European Steel Wheels part in Berlin. I was also 17 and also not even close to thinking what'll be going to be happening next year. So, 2020 was rather kind of science fiction topic :-)

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: November 29, 2019 04:48

In some (well, one) respects, it was their last tour as the classic lineup - Bill bailed not long afterwards and they were never the same.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 29, 2019 05:36

as much as i loved that tour, with the build up, and album as the whole experience was my first as a stones fan, i didnt like the piano tinkling much.

seems the guitars often played 2nd fiddle to piano at times.

loved the 2018 tour, much better, stones doing the aggressive style, and trading guitar licks superbly.

if someone had said to me in 1990 that the band would be much better live in 28 years i would have thought the mad.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 29, 2019 06:26

Overall it was a bit too clean and sterile sounding, but it was fantastic to have them back on tour after such a long hiatus.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 29, 2019 16:39

Jacksonville 1989 was my first date with my future wife - still together, BTW!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 29, 2019 16:56

30 years ...

Bugger . I remember feeling old then ...

...when I was 30 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-29 17:12 by Spud.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: November 29, 2019 17:23

Saw the two Steel Wheels shows at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse 9/21 & 9/22 in 1989. Had great seats for both shows. Both were good although I remember the first night being a little better. 2nd night the Stones cut 3 songs from the setlist (Dead flowers, One Hit to the Body, and Little Red Rooster) making for a shorter show. The other thing that the Steels Wheels concerts taught me- always wear ear plugs! Those two shows were the loudest concerts I had ever heard up to that point. My hearing was significantly affected for days afterwards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-29 22:47 by Sighunt.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: November 29, 2019 17:29

This show should get a Vault release to mark the anniversary.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: itsallovernow ()
Date: November 29, 2019 22:40

I was there for both shows, too. All I remember is that they were pretty damn good, especially after about 8 years off the road. Stage and props were quite impressive to me at that time.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: November 29, 2019 23:07

I was 18 and remembered thinking it was a gift to be able to see them.

...now 48 and still feel the same way about every show.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1743
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home