Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Route 66 - Live 1973
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: November 27, 2019 03:44

I love Richards' tone on this!

Guitar players: do you think Taylor is playing the rhythm in the open position, or up the neck at the 5th fret? It sounds like he's hitting some flat seventh suspensions in there as well as the major sixths.

Re: Route 66 - Live 1973
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 27, 2019 15:36

Richards uses the Les Paul Junior here, sounds fantastic. Taylor's in the fifth position.

Mathijs

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 27, 2019 16:39

This is in very good audio quality as I can hear the parts very well .

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 27, 2019 16:43

It does not get any better than hearing Keef belting out those Chuck Berry licks

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: November 27, 2019 16:48

Mathijs
Richards uses the Les Paul Junior here, sounds fantastic. Taylor's in the fifth position.

Mathijs

Totally agree about Richards. Great guitar by him overall. Is he playing those flat sevenths on the rhythm at parts or is it Taylor? Sounds like him around the 1:00 mark? Taylor sticks to standard boogie suspended major sixths?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 27, 2019 18:17

Love it!

Such a shame they don't have more good 72-73 recordings.
Or lost them, etc.

Still remember when I helped with the mobile layin cables,etc.in Essen 73 (3 shows).They had lots of tapes.
But seems they had problems with many of them.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: November 27, 2019 20:01

Anyone has a link for Midnight Rambler audio for the Nicaragua benefit show? Bought a million years ago Winter Tour 1973, it was the missing piece, I thought they didn't play it due to a special set list for a benefit concert, whatever.. But I understand today they played it as an encore.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: November 27, 2019 20:06

CousinC
x
Still remember when I helped with the mobile layin cables,etc.in Essen 73 (3 shows).They had lots of tapes.

CousinC, you were part of the 1973 crew?

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: November 28, 2019 03:04

Yes, guitars sound tremendous. But I also hear why that rhythm section was essential to their greatness.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 28, 2019 09:13

And I can't understand why they did Route 66 only ONCE in their 1972-1975 era. Especially in Europe 1973, when they had no coversongs

Date: November 28, 2019 09:48

Erik_Snow
And I can't understand why they did Route 66 only ONCE in their 1972-1975 era. Especially in Europe 1973, when they had no coversongs

They did it a wee bit more in the 1972-1976 era...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 28, 2019 12:41

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow

They did it a wee bit more in the 1972-1976 era...

Only once, Dandelion, it wasn't before Knebworth 76 and Toronto 77 they did it again

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 28, 2019 19:42

Erik_Snow
Especially in Europe 1973, when they had no coversongs

Glam was all the rage at that time and maybe Mick thought R66 looked too old, too dated, too straight?

Date: November 29, 2019 07:02

Piano player steals the show.

Until exactly 1:23 when Keith steps up. And never turns down after that.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: November 30, 2019 04:44

Palace Revolution 2000
Piano player steals the show.

Until exactly 1:23 when Keith steps up. And never turns down after that.

That was Nicky, awesome as always

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: November 30, 2019 05:04

Joker - I went to that show; MR was indeed the encore. The next night soundboard of was played on KMET, so that existed some time, somewhere But I have never heard it since. If you find a version let us know. The bootleg cited in this thread is the only recording I’ve ever found. I tried to bring I. A recorder and got nabbed.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 30, 2019 05:17

This song is probably the only song in their whole catalogue where you'd find me critical of Mick's vocals.
Even then, I'm sure it's probably more me than him cool smiley

I think it's likely that it's because I'm so used to and prefer other singers on this, from Nat King Cole to Chuck Berry, so many great versions of this song that came before the Stones. As for Mick, the unfamiliarity with the pronunciations of some of the cities, somehow lessens the lyrics for me as opposed to Chuck and others who really lived and know the route.

This live version is phenomenal musically though!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 30, 2019 15:18

The Joker
CousinC
x

Sorry, just seen Joker.
Not the Stones Crew. But the local crew.

Untill ca. the mid 70's the bands only brought along small crews who had to do the most important things and overlook everything.

Most work like carrying amps,etc.etc. and doing security in and around the halls was organized by the local promoters.

Many young guys liked to do this work but only when their fav. bands were playing like P. Floyd, ELP or Stones.
I'd come into this while still on school through the bassplayer of my local band.My trick was to do the unliked jobs as well,so I got more and more good bands.Money was ca. 100-150 DM per night.

I was very much into Rockmusic and saw alot of great bands. First only Düsseldorf, then Essen, Dortmund, Cologne as well.

After some time I made contact with biggest promoters L.& Rau and then Mama Music and got more and more into it. Doing concerts and festivals.

In 76 I did Stones again. This time with more contact to members of the band.
That was a great time.

And I saw all the bands of that era.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 2, 2019 09:37

tommyturbo76
Joker - I went to that show; MR was indeed the encore. The next night soundboard of was played on KMET, so that existed some time, somewhere But I have never heard it since. If you find a version let us know. The bootleg cited in this thread is the only recording I’ve ever found. I tried to bring I. A recorder and got nabbed.

The KMET radio show had an interview with Mick, and snippets of songs from an audience source, not a soundboard source.

Mathijs

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: December 2, 2019 21:50

Mathijs

Mathijs

I've been in love with the tone of this 1960 cherry Les Paul Jr ever since I first heard Keith use it on "Gimme Shelter" from Brussles. Spectacular tone in ever way. Dice might get all the limelight, but Keith's original 1960 Jr is my favorite of his Jr/TV Lesters.

Date: December 2, 2019 22:08

Longe ago since I heard this one. Thanks to the uploader. thumbs up

Posted by: gastonl74 ()
Date: December 2, 2019 23:50

CousinC
The Joker
CousinC
x

Sorry, just seen Joker.
Not the Stones Crew. But the local crew.

Untill ca. the mid 70's the bands only brought along small crews who had to do the most important things and overlook everything.

Most work like carrying amps,etc.etc. and doing security in and around the halls was organized by the local promoters.

Many young guys liked to do this work but only when their fav. bands were playing like P. Floyd, ELP or Stones.
I'd come into this while still on school through the bassplayer of my local band.My trick was to do the unliked jobs as well,so I got more and more good bands.Money was ca. 100-150 DM per night.

I was very much into Rockmusic and saw alot of great bands. First only Düsseldorf, then Essen, Dortmund, Cologne as well.

After some time I made contact with biggest promoters L.& Rau and then Mama Music and got more and more into it. Doing concerts and festivals.

In 76 I did Stones again. This time with more contact to members of the band.
That was a great time.

And I saw all the bands of that era.

76/5000
What good stories you should have of all those times!
The great era of R&R

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1367
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home