Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: my first stones-bootleg was / were ...
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: November 24, 2019 19:18

georgie48
Witness
Rockman
First boot ….. Liver Than You'll Ever Be

Was livin' in the hills of Hounville, Tasmania...…..Hillbilly country
with Heidi and.... James and David two eccentric brothers who came from The Jersey Island ..

James had some bootlegs and he was dead-$$$-broke so bought
Liver Than You'll Ever Be and Hendrix's Live Experience from him .... Still have 'em both somewhere ……………………….

My first as well.

Mine too. In our country it was sold as "Greatest Group on Earth" (Berkeley Concert). Great sound quality, considering those days.
I still remember that I had to hitchhike to Amsterdam late 1969 and bought it there in a tiny sigarette/sigare shop the day it became available.
The owner had them hidden behind a kind of curtain grinning smiley

After I read this thread I went back into my old and (and pretty beat up) record collection this morning and found my copy of Liver which has the title Gimme Shelter Rolling Stones on the top cover and in the middle of a plasted black and white picture of the Stones says Greatest Group on Earth. It looks like it was on the Contra Band label. I also stand corrected, judging by the look of this thing, this could have been my very first boot.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-24 19:22 by Sighunt.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: November 24, 2019 19:28

Philadelphia Special Vols 1 & 2 - 1972 Tour

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: November 24, 2019 20:38

Bedspring Symphony, a vinyl record of the famous Brussels 1973 concerts. It's now called "Brussels Affair." I bought it in a record store in 1979.

The Brussels concerts have been remixed. I prefer the rawer "Bedspring Symphony," which brought KR's guitar forward in the mix. How that man could play!

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: November 25, 2019 02:33

My first bootleg was a Japanese 2cd called "Urban Jungle" and was basically the same Wembley 1990 concert, what was later released in Europe as "7th of July", but this Japanese one was slightly better and had the band inro.
I was blown away by the exellent quality and for a while I thought that all bootlegs were like this, but not realy long after I found out that was not always the case (Basel 1990).

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 25, 2019 15:53

GJV
My first bootleg was a Japanese 2cd called "Urban Jungle" and was basically the same Wembley 1990 concert, what was later released in Europe as "7th of July", but this Japanese one was slightly better and had the band inro.
I was blown away by the exellent quality and for a while I thought that all bootlegs were like this, but not realy long after I found out that was not always the case (Basel 1990).

"Urban Jungle" and "7th of July" are telecasts or radio shows, Basel 1990 isn't even soundboard, but an auditorium recording, a quite good one, though.

Posted by: theo1954 ()
Date: November 25, 2019 16:37

georgie48
Witness
Rockman
First boot ….. Liver Than You'll Ever Be

Was livin' in the hills of Hounville, Tasmania...…..Hillbilly country
with Heidi and.... James and David two eccentric brothers who came from The Jersey Island ..

James had some bootlegs and he was dead-$$$-broke so bought
Liver Than You'll Ever Be and Hendrix's Live Experience from him .... Still have 'em both somewhere ……………………….

My first as well.

Mine too. In our country it was sold as "Greatest Group on Earth" (Berkeley Concert). Great sound quality, considering those days.
I still remember that I had to hitchhike to Amsterdam late 1969 and bought it there in a tiny sigarette/sigare shop the day it became available.
The owner had them hidden behind a kind of curtain grinning smiley

Posted by: theo1954 ()
Date: November 25, 2019 16:41

Mine too!
Bought it at the famous Waterlooplein fleamarket Amsterdam,back in 1970(I think)

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 25, 2019 17:15

I used top pick up my bootlegs at the Amsterdam Waterloo Market back in the day, but I can't remember my very first, here are some: Stoned Again, San Diego 69, The Beatles and the Rolling Stones Sing This all Together, Hyde Park 69 and The Devil is My Name.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 25, 2019 17:39

I think it was either -

"Hell's Stones" : 3CD set - IBC sessions, some Altamont, some UK live '65, Get Yer Leeds Lungs Out, NYC '72..some other live odds and ends, all in one set!

or

"Sparks Will Fly" (Giants Stadium August 14, 1994)
"The Circus is Back in Town" (Giants Stadium August 15, 1994)

Those were all bought pretty close together, with "Shattered in Europe" (Naples, Italy '82) shortly afterward.

As it's been pointed out, it's so wild that we spent so much on all that stuff (spent $100 on a 4CD set called "Performances" and another $100 on 4CD set "Hot Stuff Vol.2 - In Studio '62-'89") and now a lot of that stuff is a click away. Although I must say, the hunt was fun. We hunt now but it's a digital hunt and not quite the same.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-25 19:27 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: November 25, 2019 18:12

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: November 25, 2019 23:41

RobertJohnson
GJV

"Urban Jungle" and "7th of July" are telecasts or radio shows, Basel 1990 isn't even soundboard, but an auditorium recording, a quite good one, though.

Yes, I know the difference between a soundboard and audio recording, but right then I had no clue of the quality, that's what I tried to say. If you have never bought a bootleg and your first one is an exellent professional made recording than you assume that every bootleg is like that, ofcourse it wasn't and isn't. I found out the hard way.winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 25, 2019 23:59

First Stones CD boot …….

Bruce Milne founder of Au-Go-Go Records went
to Japan on a record-hunting trip in the mid 80's

Bought back Exile Stones boot CD… gave it to
me as a gift ………..in those days it was like receiving a hunk of gold …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: November 26, 2019 00:02

A shitty boot-of-a-boot of the '73 Nicaraguan Benefit. It was horrible but I've heard better versions since, from the same source.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 26, 2019 00:46

First actual bootleg LP I bought was the 3-LP 'American Tour' 81' (hampton 18/12/81). Whilst I probably own pretty much every circulating show/studio session/rehearsal plus a lot of unofficial solo material, I've never been one for buying bootleg LPs or Cds. Its a bottomless pit once you start. I own relatively few.

I started my tape collection a few months earlier in 1982 by answering an ad in Melody Maker and sending some guy in Tyne & Wear £54 for 9 c90 cassette tapes. Its the only time I ever paid for tapes - I traded after that and built my collection up that way. It helped that I had a low gen copy of Slane 1982 which a friend had recorded and which wasnt otherwise in widespread circulation.

I think the first tapes I got consisted of -

Bright lights Big City
Gravestones
Black & Blue Sessions Vol. 1
Summer Reruns
Liver Than You'll Ever Be
Leeds Stones
European Tour 1970
Welcome to New York
European Tour 73
Bedspring Symphony
Garden State 78
Oakland 78 (In & Out Again)
Saturday Night Live '78
Something Old Something Blue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-26 00:47 by Gazza.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: November 26, 2019 03:05

LazarusSmith

Mine too. A pretty terrible recording of a pretty great show.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 26, 2019 03:10

Voodoo Stew

Date: November 26, 2019 06:43

Played it to death.
But immediately followed by "Winter Tour" and "Micks Birthday Party"

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: November 26, 2019 10:24

Rock Out Cock Out . unforgettable...

Posted by: Ruediger ()
Date: November 26, 2019 19:44

"The Rolling Stones Live in London"

Recorded live at Wembley Empire Pool, September 8, 1973

(RS 2001 - Forbidden Fruit Productiones,USA 1973)

Posted by: TurningToGold2 ()
Date: November 26, 2019 19:46

Who Went To Church This Sunday

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: November 26, 2019 20:27

I don't recall confused smiley

Probably one of the early TSP-CDs ... (? Get Your leeds lungs out!)

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 26, 2019 20:42

thomashanck
i bought mine ca. 1978 in berlin in a cinema ("kant-kino") out of a little lp-box,
it was the double-sided "Schoolboy blues" / Andrews blues".
i knew this bootleg from reading a Stones-book (lp-format) and now i held my first bootleg in my hands !!!...

I got 3 bootlegs to my first trip to a bootleg shop, in New Hope, PA, and this was one of my first ones too -- "Schoolboy blues" / Andrews blues"! I still have mine (actually I still have all my bootleg vinyl).

The other 2 I got were:
Brussels Affair (live '73, 2x LP)
Summer Romance (live '78, 2x LP)

....... not long after I made my an NYC trip to go to other bootleg shops I found out about in a magazine, and I bought Black & Blue Sessions (w/ Worried About You .. I had a version before it was released! as I bought the bootleg about 2 or 3 weeks before Tattoo You was out)

Also on that 2nd NYC trip, I bought another '78 Live 2x LP (but forget the title) as well as a live 2x LP of '69-'72 songs (which included Lemon Squeezer).

Not long after, I got a magazine that had vendors w/ bootlegs, and then I started to buy many from those vendors, and before you know it, I had/have a collection of at least 50 bootleg albums.

Date: November 26, 2019 21:42

What is interesting IMO is that almost every title mentioned by others was in my first 10. Andrew's Blues, MT we miss you, Brussels 73, Rock out Cock out, Leeds

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: November 27, 2019 01:16

Tooth & Nail Miami 1994 about a week after I saw them for the first time in Atlanta in 1994.

Lucky to have acquired several shows I attended live after that like Welcome To Columbus 1997, Atlanta 2002, Chicago 2006, Atlanta 2006 and Atlanta 2015.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: November 27, 2019 10:20

Ruediger
"The Rolling Stones Live in London"

Recorded live at Wembley Empire Pool, September 8, 1973

(RS 2001 - Forbidden Fruit Productiones,USA 1973)

I bought this VERY expensive record at a shop in Berlin in 1980.

My first Bootlegs, which I bought in 1977 in the city of Tuebingen, were

Welcome to Frankfurt 1976 colored Vinyl - great to look at but shitty sound (Bill's bass amp did not work so you could practice bass playing along to it)

Nasty Music (Brussels & London 1973 & four tracks from New York 1972 - the greatest of them all!!!

Bright lights big city - great early Recordings

Essen 1970 - great concert but bad sound quality

Posted by: WetWillie ()
Date: November 27, 2019 10:37

Crackin' Up on Back Trax label
[dbboots.com]
Loved the artwork.
From a pawn shop in Budapest 1991.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: November 27, 2019 22:19

i stumbled into a long gone CD store on St. Marks place and came across a treasure trove of "albums" i'd never heard of...some live and even better some studio boots. While i don't recall the number, it was one form the Ultra rare Trax collection, though i ultimately bought 1-6. I ended up spending so much money in that store in the late 80s/early 90s!

Posted by: Darin75 ()
Date: November 28, 2019 02:25

@#$%& Blues. I got it from a record store in Buffalo, NY when I was about 14. Had recordings from the NYC 1972 shows

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: November 28, 2019 19:49

django
Welcome To New York LP and several hundreds followed

Me too

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: November 29, 2019 06:26

I think the Myrtle Beach 78 show was the first bootleg I ever bought. I made a lot during the 78 tour but alas, they have since disappeared.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home