Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Altamont - Fifty years ago
Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: December 15, 2019 04:01

Ron
That photo of you near Mick seems to be right about the time someone punched Mick Jagger as he made his way toward the trailer.
The punch was not caught on film until a few seconds after. Can you shed some light on the circumstances of this incident?

And thanks for the info and insight and facts about this event.

Larry

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: December 15, 2019 06:09

Hi Larry,
Thanks for the photos..I love that there are images that back up my memory...the fist image seems to be a fraction of a second before Mick got punched

and here's what I wrote in my book:
A young uniformed security guard greeted us and said to follow him. He turned around and led us directly into the crowd. Mick was walking next to the guard, a foot or so in front of me, when a guy leaped up and punched Mick in the jaw. People in the crowd immediately grabbed the guy and pinned him on the hood of a car.
and this image is the fraction of a second after Mick was punched and me lunging at the guy...(I'm a little guy.. I think I had the big side burns to make me look badder..smiling smiley

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 17, 2019 05:22

bmuseed
the part where Joel Slevin got it Wrong... Joel interviewed me and I told him if he could wait a month, my book, Out of Our Heads, would be out and I could tell him the part of the story re Gimme Shelter that only I knew..(and the Maysles)..Joel couldn't wait so here is where it went wrong for him on the truth, but made a good story.

the use of the word 'haughty' referring to Mick saying he was thinking of the movie..THERE WAS NO MOVIE BEING CONSIDERED. Selvin had to make up the movie part --he had no idea..First: Mick did not meet the Maysles..I did and here is that part of the story
The Stones wanted to film at least two of their songs and had decided they should be shot at the 1969 Madison Square Garden shows where they were going to record a live album. They wanted me to close the deal for a director and cameraman. They had a couple of suggestions for me, and I went about contacting them while on the road.
First on the list was Leacock-Pennebaker (Richard Leacock and D.A. Pennebaker), who had done Bob Dylan’s Don’t Look Back. Next on the list was Robert Downey Sr., who’d just completed Putney Swope, a dark satire about a token black man on the executive board of an advertising firm who is accidentally put in command. For a top cameraman, they asked me to check with Haskell Wexler, director of photography for Medium Cool, which was about a TV news cameraman who becomes personally involved in the violence that erupts around the 1968 Democratic National Convention. Wexler also shot The Thomas Crown Affair. However, it turned out that each of them had projects they were already working on, so they wouldn’t be able to help us, especially at such short notice. Haskell suggested I contact the Maysles brothers. I called them; they were available, and we scheduled a meeting on November 25 at the Plaza Hotel.
The Maysles suggested they go to the Baltimore concert and get a feel for the Stones’ performance to come up with ideas on how to capture the songs on film. The next morning, they called me at the Plaza and came back with a suggestion to do four songs that they would film during the three Madison Square Garden shows. David pitched the idea for four songs since he thought we might have a chance of turning that footage into a half-hour TV special. They would give us a thirty-minute rough cut of the show, he said, and it would not be longer than forty-five minutes. and here's the proof part..

and finally... when reading this remember there was no film deal...Filmways asked for the rights to any film,(no thought of a commercial film at this time) if we made one..and I don't know who this Murray guy I supposedly negotiated with that I was apoplectic about and oh yeah... Jagger was in Muscle Shoals and I didn't speak to any of the Stones while they were there..

Ron - did u happen to know a guy named Peter Pilafian who, according to what he told me, was in charge of the cameras/crew that were on top of some kind of a trailer immediately behind the stage and which captured the murder but who didn't know that they had got it on film until they watched it later? I think he was hired by the Maysles. I asked him who he thought was responsible for the mess and he said he thought it was the Angels. I also told him that I had heard that, in spite of everything, that the Stones had put on a fantastic show that evening and he said that was true.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-17 05:23 by timbernardis.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 17, 2019 05:34

… Heck Tim ...… good ole Peter didn't give away much …..

ROCKMAN

Date: December 17, 2019 05:45

There are 2 Peters given credit as camera operators in Gimme Shelter
Pete Adair
Peter Smokler

Peter Pilafin is given credit for sound

Date: December 17, 2019 08:00

deardoctortake1
Pete Adair
Peter Smokler

You r correct but he worked closely with the film crew. I didn't say he was a camera operator. I posted this on IORR three weeks after I met him in 2008:

Of course, the discussion turned to the Stones. Peter told us he was in charge of the sound for the Gimme Shelter film.

Mostly, our discussion centered on Altamont. He said he was on top of a 60 foot trailer behind the stage at Altamont along with three camera men whom he was directing.

One of these three filmed the murder, but they did not know it at the time, he said, as it was just chaos in front of the stage. Not until they viewed the film later on did they see what they had captured.

He basically blamed the Angels for the craziness of the day. I asked him if it was true that the Stones played a great set in spite of it all. He said yes, "they were on."
[end 2008 comments]

Most of my statements in my post 3 above this one are correct. Glad to see at least not all of my memory is gone! Forgot a few details, however.

plexi

Date: December 17, 2019 15:58

Thanks for the info plexi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-17 16:34 by deardoctortake1.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 17, 2019 19:28

wonderboy
As a teen-age Gen X'er in the '70s, reading about Altamont, I never got the 'end of the innocence thing.' Did grown people really believe that? This was 1969 -- the boomers had already gone through assassinations and war and riots. But somehow a guy getting stabbed at a concert ruined the vibe?
But from the footage I've heard, it was a great show.

The "love and peace" vibe ended for me when I first heard Steppenwolf's "The Pusher". That song is still creepy.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: December 17, 2019 20:12

The Doors, The Velvet Underground, The Seeds, Pink Floyd and the Stones had all recorded darker themed songs before Woodstock and Altamont.

As a 4 year old in 1969, I was oblivious to psychedelic culture other than the residual effect of it's presence in pop culture like the Sid & Marty Kroft tv shows.

In Stanley Booth's account, Keith accuses Rock Scully of being an inept dreamer in the aftermath of Altamont for thinking the Hell's Angels were suitable to provide stage security.

That's what Altamont is archtypically symbolic of, Not lost innocence, more the loss of the dream of universal brotherhood that Woodstock had invoked.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: December 18, 2019 01:24

When we were taking the long, long foot trek back to our cars after 'Street Fighting Man,' I remember hearing more than a few people (who didn't know about the stabbing fatality but had witnessed the rest of the mess during the Rolling Stones set) laughing and saying 'This could only happen with the Stones.'

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 18, 2019 06:41

I think Hoyt Axton wrote "The Pusher".

re: could only happen to the Stones...

jb

Date: December 23, 2019 06:40

Eric Saarien and Baird Bryant filmed the stabbing.. Eric saw the gun pointed towards him, ducked, holding the camera in place, but it was out of focus.. Eric was first to find Baird Bryant's film of the stabbing, in focus..
and..
the camera people said they felt safe with the Hell's Angels protecting them...

timbernardis
deardoctortake1
Pete Adair
Peter Smokler

You r correct but he worked closely with the film crew. I didn't say he was a camera operator. I posted this on IORR three weeks after I met him in 2008:

Of course, the discussion turned to the Stones. Peter told us he was in charge of the sound for the Gimme Shelter film.

Mostly, our discussion centered on Altamont. He said he was on top of a 60 foot trailer behind the stage at Altamont along with three camera men whom he was directing.

One of these three filmed the murder, but they did not know it at the time, he said, as it was just chaos in front of the stage. Not until they viewed the film later on did they see what they had captured.

He basically blamed the Angels for the craziness of the day. I asked him if it was true that the Stones played a great set in spite of it all. He said yes, "they were on."
[end 2008 comments]

Most of my statements in my post 3 above this one are correct. Glad to see at least not all of my memory is gone! Forgot a few details, however.

plexi

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 21, 2020 20:16

Irix

There's a new DVD: 'Days Of Rage: Road To Altamont' - [www.jpc.de] - [www.Amazon.com] - (17-Jan-2020).

Days of Rage: The Rolling Stones' Road to Altamont - trailer

Date: January 22, 2020 08:56

Cristiano Radtke
Irix

There's a new DVD: 'Days Of Rage: Road To Altamont' - [www.jpc.de] - [www.Amazon.com] - (17-Jan-2020).

Days of Rage: The Rolling Stones' Road to Altamont - trailer

Have u watched the film and if so, what are your thoughts about it?

plexi

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 22, 2020 13:05

This Movie can also be rented on [www.Amazon.com] as well as [iTunes.Apple.com] .

Date: January 22, 2020 20:47

from the looks of that trailer, the film is more sensationalist trash. Which is a shame. Hope to hear better of it but based on the trailer...pass.

jb

Date: January 22, 2020 20:55

timbernardis

Have u watched the film and if so, what are your thoughts about it?

There're already 2 customer reviews on [www.Amazon.com] -- ("I'd give it a 3 or less." , "gave the DVD 2 Stars" - so basically 2 out of 5 Stars).

Date: January 24, 2020 05:28

I'm in that clip... and never gave permission..that seems to be from an old interview I did for a BBC company years ago..Bunch of sensationalist crap!! from people who weren't there...

Irix

Date: January 24, 2020 06:17

Your name seems to be used very liberally and prominently. I think I would have my lawyers look into it if it is being done without your permission.

jb

Date: January 24, 2020 10:20

bmuseed

I'm in that clip... and never gave permission..

Hence the statement on the DVD-Cover: "The unauthorized story of ...." winking smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 25, 2020 02:05

Who record these tapes (audience recordings?)

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 25, 2020 05:10

There was a photo of the likely taper with microphone in hand about 5 people back from the stage, it was posted in another thread

jb

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 25, 2020 10:06

Who buys these DVD releases anyway, I bought some, 10 years ago, about other artists, and they all stink.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 25, 2020 22:42

jbwelda
There was a photo of the likely taper with microphone in hand about 5 people back from the stage, it was posted in another thread

jb

thumbs up ...thanks

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 27, 2020 17:47

jbwelda
Your name seems to be used very liberally and prominently. I think I would have my lawyers look into it if it is being done without your permission.

jb

I'm not so sure permission is needed. Then again, I'm not a lawyer!

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1495
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home