Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Altamont Tapes
Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: December 9, 2019 06:24

Irix
sanQ

Release the tapes please.

Altamont complete (5 sources): [iorr.org] . Otherwise: [dbboots.com] .

I spent about two and half hours downloading the 2 files, Parts 1 and 2:
1969.12.06 ASO Altamont complete (5 sources).part1.rar
1969.12.06 ASO Altamont complete (5 sources).part2.rar

and was unable to play them without buying some program for $36.95 to convert the weird file types contained therein.

Sort of a big waste of time.

Re: Tarot cards and Altamont...
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 9, 2019 11:31

TornAndFried
The whole "rock and roll's worst day" thing is overblown.

It was a much bigger thing than "rock and roll's worst day". The shocking aspect was that you'd go to a theater to see the band performing live and you'dsee someone being killed right in front of your eyes.

And that was in 1970, 9 years before the (in)famous "Faces Of Death" movie series.

Re: Altamont Tapes
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 9, 2019 12:50

Chacho
Irix
sanQ

Release the tapes please.

Altamont complete (5 sources): [iorr.org] . Otherwise: [dbboots.com] .

I spent about two and half hours downloading the 2 files, Parts 1 and 2:
1969.12.06 ASO Altamont complete (5 sources).part1.rar
1969.12.06 ASO Altamont complete (5 sources).part2.rar

and was unable to play them without buying some program for $36.95 to convert the weird file types contained therein.

Sort of a big waste of time.

As far as I know, Stonesvault only post FLAC files which have always been free to convert.
[www.free-codecs.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Re: Altamont - Fifty years ago
Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: December 9, 2019 19:55

In his autobiography "Hell's Angel: The Life and Times of Sonny Barger and the Hell's Angels Motorcycle Club," Barger claims that the trouble started because the Rolling Stones wanted to wait until sundown to go on stage. Waiting made the crowd restless.

It's amazing to me that anybody would hire the Hells Angels to police a concert. The Hells Angels to a man are hideous, f-ed up people. For years they controlled meth distribution in California. God only know how many peoples' lives they ruined.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-09 20:02 by Pietro.

Film remembering Meredith Hunter, killed at Altamont
Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: December 9, 2019 19:51

"Lot 63, Grave C," a spooky 2005 film remembering Meredith Hunter, the teenager killed by the Hells Angels fifty years ago at Altamont:

video: [vimeo.com]

In the 2005 film, Hunter's grave was unmarked, but it has since been given a gravestone:

Find A Grave: Meredith Curly Hunter, Jr

Alan Pasarro, the Hells Angel who stabbed and killed Hunter, was acquitted of his murder, but he also died an untimely death. Not to be too maudlin on Monday, but here is Pasarro's grave:

Find A Grave: Alan David Passaro

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 9, 2019 21:00

>As far as I know, Stonesvault only post FLAC files which have always been free to
>convert.

I am a bit confused by this. I too took all day to download a couple files only to find nothing I had would play them. they are "rar" suffix files.

so I looked at this link you provided, a whole software package that is "easy to use" (have heard that before) but no mention of the .rar file. Are "rar" format files the same as FLAC files?

Any other suggestions, if not?

People judging the Angels by todays standards are missing the point...at the time the SF chapter were very friendly with the G Dead and that is who they were expecting to do the security. turned out there were other, less benign characters out there...who could have known? (That was a joke in case you didn't get it.) As for the meth, at that point they were also the main distributors of the GD's LSD made by Owsley. As for ruining peoples lives...how many lives did the RS "ruin"? I mean, come on now, its not like they were forcing people to buy their goods.

Very few people at Altamont saw anyone murdered in front of their eyes. In fact, legally, I don't think anyone was actually murdered there...it was judged to be justifiable homicide, and any poorly trained security force at any other show would have done the same or worse confronted with an audience member with a gun. This is of course ignoring the actions that made him pull the gun in the first place.

As for the audience being restless...we were restless for a good couple hours there but I doubt it had anything to do with what transpired...the pattern was set and was just being carried out as it seemed to be pre-ordained. Don't blame the angels; blame those who ignored the signs and carried on with the plans for the show.

one love
jb

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 9, 2019 21:04

jbwelda
>As far as I know, Stonesvault only post FLAC files which have always been free to
>convert.

I am a bit confused by this. I too took all day to download a couple files only to find nothing I had would play them. they are "rar" suffix files.

so I looked at this link you provided, a whole software package that is "easy to use" (have heard that before) but no mention of the .rar file. Are "rar" format files the same as FLAC files?

Any other suggestions, if not?

People judging the Angels by todays standards are missing the point...at the time the SF chapter were very friendly with the G Dead and that is who they were expecting to do the security. turned out there were other, less benign characters out there...who could have known? (That was a joke in case you didn't get it.) As for the meth, at that point they were also the main distributors of the GD's LSD made by Owsley. As for ruining peoples lives...how many lives did the RS "ruin"? I mean, come on now, its not like they were forcing people to buy their goods.

Very few people at Altamont saw anyone murdered in front of their eyes. In fact, legally, I don't think anyone was actually murdered there...it was judged to be justifiable homicide, and any poorly trained security force at any other show would have done the same or worse confronted with an audience member with a gun. This is of course ignoring the actions that made him pull the gun in the first place.

As for the audience being restless...we were restless for a good couple hours there but I doubt it had anything to do with what transpired...the pattern was set and was just being carried out as it seemed to be pre-ordained. Don't blame the angels; blame those who ignored the signs and carried on with the plans for the show.

one love
jb

The FLAC files will be in the RAR files.
Free download. [www.win-rar.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 10, 2019 21:48

I don't remember watching this before:

Santana at Altamont

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 10, 2019 23:56

I don't think it's altamont, I saw Michael Lang in the beginning of the video don't think he was at Altamont......

Date: December 11, 2019 00:00

I just saw the end of the video maybe your right thumbs up

Date: December 11, 2019 00:35

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-11 04:51 by Cristiano Radtke.

Date: December 11, 2019 00:37

NICOS

This video was also shared by this FB page, and according to them it comes from the Maysles Outtakes. They also shared some other very interesting videos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-11 00:46 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: December 11, 2019 00:56

Michael Lang was at Altamont. Just finished Stanley Booth's True Adventures Of The Rolling Stones, and he places Lang there.

Date: December 11, 2019 00:59

Cristiano Radtke
NICOS

This video was also shared by this FB page, and according to them it comes from the Maysles Outtakes. They also shared some other very interesting videos.

I just watched the long version on the facebook page ...strange thing that bother's me is the color difference of the video when the HA are filmed......and my questions was Michael Lang also at Altamont?

Date: December 11, 2019 01:13

NICOS
Cristiano Radtke
NICOS

I just watched the long version on the facebook page ...strange thing that bother's me is the color difference of the video when the HA are filmed......and my questions was Michael Lang also at Altamont?

Yes. I think he helped organize it.

Date: December 11, 2019 01:17

Cristiano Radtke
NICOS
Cristiano Radtke
NICOS

Yes. I think he helped organize it.

thumbs up

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 11, 2019 15:20

Joel Selvin has an interesting theory about the disaster :
had the free concert taken place at the Golden Gate bridge it's the Frisco chapter of the Hell's Angels that would have worked security = mellow guys who knew the rock and hippie scene.

But since the gig took place At Altamont it's the San Jose chapter who got hired... = a bunch of violent primitive thugs.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 11, 2019 15:50

There's a new DVD: 'Days Of Rage: Road To Altamont' - [www.jpc.de] - [www.Amazon.com] - (17-Jan-2020).

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 11, 2019 20:15

Sam Cutlers book is a really good source for events that took place at Altamont. Of course Booths book is also excellent. Bmuseed posts and knowledge also offers a first hand account. I knew someone I went to school with that was at Altamont but he was watching and listening from up the hill. He said it was a really great day and only because of what he was hearing coming from the stage did he have any idea there was trouble down in the front. He thought the Stones were fantastic.

Many things went wrong to affect what went down that day. I think the comment about the location change and the Angels that caused much of the trouble is right on the mark. All things considered the Stones played incredibly well considering the chaos on and around the stage.

Date: December 11, 2019 20:23

Joel Selvin's "theory" sounds kinda cockeyed...if the concert had taken place on the GG Bridge, no one would have been able to get into SF. I guess he/you mean Golden Gate Park, the original venue before Mick opened his mouth and Mayor Alioto put the nix on that deal, unannounced headliner or not.

The supposed "deal" with the Angels was done before it was decided where ultimately the show would be held. And supposedly the Angels had a big meeting that day (aka "church") and consequently it was more "prospects" at the show (not full patches on their jackets) who were out to prove themselves. Only later in the day did many of the real Angels show up. But it is true the ones there earlier were from the south bay (San Jose). The real dominant tribe in the east bay though were the Oakland chapter and they were not the more laid back SF Angels...although "laid back" is a very relative term. Very few, no matter the chapter, would be considered "mellow guys" in any other context.

you have to remember: Joel Selvin was not there. He chickened out like a lot of people when they heard the show was going to be held out in the desert of the east bay...a good place to get beat up by rednecks and greasers.

edit to add: that dvd coming out looks like pure bootleg crap, probably full of pirated images and film copped from Gimme Shelter with narration on how @#$%& up it all was. Will check it out when it comes out but from the preview on Amazon it doesn't look promising, just more cheap exploitation.

The Stones were playing amazingly well for the environment, they were well rehearsed from the tour they were ending, and the air of danger just seemed to make them rise to the occasion.

Most people at the show had a good time, that was my experience. For the most part if you were not down at the front you had little idea what was going on down there other than the music stopping a few times during the day. By the time the Stones played the crowd had diminished considerably although probably still 60 - 100,000 still in attendance by my unofficial count. It was dark, cold and everyone had been treated to a couple hours of no music, so a lot of people packed it in. I personally started walking back during the scuffles during Under My Thumb. I recall specifically thinking this is really falling apart and I am getting the heck out of here before the whole crowd leaves at once.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-11 20:31 by jbwelda.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 12, 2019 03:49

Pietro
In his autobiography "Hell's Angel: The Life and Times of Sonny Barger and the Hell's Angels Motorcycle Club," Barger claims that the trouble started because the Rolling Stones wanted to wait until sundown to go on stage. Waiting made the crowd restless.

It's amazing to me that anybody would hire the Hells Angels to police a concert. The Hells Angels to a man are hideous, f-ed up people. For years they controlled meth distribution in California. God only know how many peoples' lives they ruined.

Anything Barger claims regarding the concert is worthless.

Date: December 12, 2019 06:23

Why do you say that, about Barger? Sure he had ulterior motives but he was right in a lot of ways with a lot of things he was quoted as saying. I recall him saying he was not there, though, although he obviously was in the film. I think it was a legal move on his part...the quotations you question may have been couched in the same concerns.

Waiting did make the crowd restless but it is pretty specious to claim that was what caused the trouble; there was trouble long before the Stones stalled around waiting for dark for dramatic effect. Myself personally I thought the whole thing was going to be wrapped up before sunset like the gigs in GG Park always were. Didn't turn out that way and the reason for that has been pretty well established.

jb

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: December 13, 2019 01:59

I just saw this..and then noted the reporter.... and be aware that I never talked to him..He wrote when referring to me.... One of the most unusual parts of the contract was the demand that the concert promoter in each individual area put up the entire guarantee upon signing the contract, rather than half on signing and half the night of the concert, as is customary.
BS: First: the ticket prices were $7.50 not outrageous. I demanded half the guarantee in front as is customary...what they don't get is that I wanted in some instances...60% of gross as the guarantee for the artist, knowing that the promoter will easily make 10& on a sell out..

TornAndFried
Excellent article about Altamont from Esquire magazine.

[www.esquire.com]

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 13, 2019 02:16

jbwelda
Why do you say that, about Barger? Sure he had ulterior motives but he was right in a lot of ways with a lot of things he was quoted as saying. I recall him saying he was not there, though, although he obviously was in the film. I think it was a legal move on his part...the quotations you question may have been couched in the same concerns.

Waiting did make the crowd restless but it is pretty specious to claim that was what caused the trouble; there was trouble long before the Stones stalled around waiting for dark for dramatic effect. Myself personally I thought the whole thing was going to be wrapped up before sunset like the gigs in GG Park always were. Didn't turn out that way and the reason for that has been pretty well established.

jb

Because telling the truth was not the Hells Angels forte, including Sonny Barger.
I've read clips from his book, news clippings through the years, and have heard him on the radio. Too defiant and dishonest to have credibility.

Date: December 13, 2019 21:33

the part where Joel Slevin got it Wrong... Joel interviewed me and I told him if he could wait a month, my book, Out of Our Heads, would be out and I could tell him the part of the story re Gimme Shelter that only I knew..(and the Maysles)..Joel couldn't wait so here is where it went wrong for him on the truth, but made a good story.

the use of the word 'haughty' referring to Mick saying he was thinking of the movie..THERE WAS NO MOVIE BEING CONSIDERED. Selvin had to make up the movie part --he had no idea..First: Mick did not meet the Maysles..I did and here is that part of the story
The Stones wanted to film at least two of their songs and had decided they should be shot at the 1969 Madison Square Garden shows where they were going to record a live album. They wanted me to close the deal for a director and cameraman. They had a couple of suggestions for me, and I went about contacting them while on the road.
First on the list was Leacock-Pennebaker (Richard Leacock and D.A. Pennebaker), who had done Bob Dylan’s Don’t Look Back. Next on the list was Robert Downey Sr., who’d just completed Putney Swope, a dark satire about a token black man on the executive board of an advertising firm who is accidentally put in command. For a top cameraman, they asked me to check with Haskell Wexler, director of photography for Medium Cool, which was about a TV news cameraman who becomes personally involved in the violence that erupts around the 1968 Democratic National Convention. Wexler also shot The Thomas Crown Affair. However, it turned out that each of them had projects they were already working on, so they wouldn’t be able to help us, especially at such short notice. Haskell suggested I contact the Maysles brothers. I called them; they were available, and we scheduled a meeting on November 25 at the Plaza Hotel.
The Maysles suggested they go to the Baltimore concert and get a feel for the Stones’ performance to come up with ideas on how to capture the songs on film. The next morning, they called me at the Plaza and came back with a suggestion to do four songs that they would film during the three Madison Square Garden shows. David pitched the idea for four songs since he thought we might have a chance of turning that footage into a half-hour TV special. They would give us a thirty-minute rough cut of the show, he said, and it would not be longer than forty-five minutes. and here's the proof part..

and finally... when reading this remember there was no film deal...Filmways asked for the rights to any film,(no thought of a commercial film at this time) if we made one..and I don't know who this Murray guy I supposedly negotiated with that I was apoplectic about and oh yeah... Jagger was in Muscle Shoals and I didn't speak to any of the Stones while they were there..

Date: December 13, 2019 21:49

Bill Owens took this pic and it took me 50 years to find it..

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: December 14, 2019 18:13

Thanks Cristiano. As one who was there, I can verify that Santana turned the place out. People were REALLY impressed, particularly with Jingo.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 15, 2019 02:59

bmuseed
Bill Owens took this pic and it took me 50 years to find it../quote]

The same awesome shot with no marking, it's always better for those who want to save the pictures winking smiley

HMN

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 15, 2019 03:04

Here's an original slide

Credits : Beth Sunflower

HMN

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: December 15, 2019 03:37

lol...still be in the 60's good one..lol

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1928
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home