Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Altamont - Fifty years ago
Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: November 23, 2019 14:51

Article: Washington Post: Altamont ended the ’60s with chaos and death.

Nothing much about the music but an excellent, lengthy article with sound clips, interviews, video and some great photos!
Altamont Ended the '60s With Chaos and Death

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-07 22:00 by bv.

Re: Article: Washington Post: Altamont ended the ’60s with chaos and death.
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 23, 2019 15:10

Yeah we'd still be in the 60s if it wasn't for Altamont

Date: November 23, 2019 17:07

ThePaleRider
Nothing much about the music but an excellent, lengthy article with sound clips, interviews, video and some great photos!

Whew! It's taken me all morning to go through all the material in the article. What a treasure trove. Absolutely brilliant journalism. Read the comments section at the end...lots of people who were at the concert giving their eyewitness accounts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-23 17:13 by ThePaleRider.

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: November 23, 2019 17:32

The best part for me came at the 1:49 mark in the 6 minute video..David Crosby says it was a mistake for the Grateful Dead organization to hire the Hell's Angels...Finally the truth that it wasn't the Rolling Stones..they didn't arrive until the day before but the press over these 50 years kept blaming the Stones.

ThePaleRider
ThePaleRider

Whew! It's taken me all morning to go through all the material in the article. What a treasure trove. Absolutely brilliant journalism. Read the comments section at the end...lots of people who were at the concert giving their eyewitness accounts.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: November 24, 2019 00:11

So many of the rock stars who were on stage that Saturday at Altamont — from Mick Jagger to former Grateful Dead members Bob Weir and Phil Lesh — didn’t want to revisit it as the concert’s 50th anniversary approached and declined interview requests.

The Grateful Dead didn't show up once they heard what was going down.

Edit: The author does mention this fact later on in the article.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-24 00:25 by bleedingman.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 24, 2019 01:36

bmuseed
The best part for me came at the 1:49 mark in the 6 minute video..David Crosby says it was a mistake for the Grateful Dead organization to hire the Hell's Angels...Finally the truth that it wasn't the Rolling Stones..they didn't arrive until the day before but the press over these 50 years kept blaming the Stones.

Maybe the Dead recruited them but the Stones hired them.

That was one of many bad decisions by concert organizers: hiring the notorious motorcycle gang to run security.

But the lingering questions aren’t easily dismissed. Why did the Stones let the show go on? Could Hunter’s violent death have been avoided? Should blame be shouldered by the outlaw motorcycle gang enlisted to keep order or by the Grateful Dead, who recruited them?

The motorcycle gang members were considered the counterculture’s outlaw brothers. They would go to Ken Kesey’s “Acid Tests” and chill with the hippies when the Grateful Dead played their free gigs at Golden Gate Park. That’s exactly what Grace Slick, Jefferson Airplane’s singer, told Jagger when she visited him in London in the fall of 1969.

“They were always okay, and when somebody would get on the stage and was not supposed to be there, they’d just go over and tell them not to,” says Slick. “They didn’t punch them or anything. So, we said, ‘We can get the Hells Angels to be the security [for Altamont].’ ”

The police were not an option. The Stones had dealt with a series of drug busts in England. They weren’t the only ones.

Whatever was arranged with the Angels remains murky. But somewhere along the line, Grateful Dead manager Rock Scully talked to the motorcycle gang about keeping order. They would be paid $500 in beer. “They said, ‘All you gotta do is just keep people off the stage,’ ” says “Flash” Gordon Grow, a member of the San Francisco chapter of the Angels who worked that stage. “We said, ‘Yeah, no problem. We can do that.’ They asked us, ‘What do you want for that?’ We said, ‘We’re not cops. We’re not security guards. Just give us some beer.’ They said, ‘Okay.’ ”

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 24, 2019 02:59

The Sicilian
bmuseed

Maybe the Dead recruited them but the Stones hired them.

"That was one of many bad decisions by concert organizers: hiring the notorious motorcycle gang to run security."

"The motorcycle gang members were considered the counterculture’s outlaw brothers. They would go to Ken Kesey’s “Acid Tests” and chill with the hippies when the Grateful Dead played their free gigs at Golden Gate Park. That’s exactly what Grace Slick, Jefferson Airplane’s singer, told Jagger when she visited him in London in the fall of 1969.

“They were always okay, and when somebody would get on the stage and was not supposed to be there, they’d just go over and tell them not to,” says Slick. “They didn’t punch them or anything. So, we said, ‘We can get the Hells Angels to be the security [for Altamont].’"

"Whatever was arranged with the Angels remains murky. But somewhere along the line, Grateful Dead manager Rock Scully talked to the motorcycle gang about keeping order. They would be paid $500 in beer. “They said, ‘All you gotta do is just keep people off the stage,’ ” says “Flash” Gordon Grow, a member of the San Francisco chapter of the Angels who worked that stage. “We said, ‘Yeah, no problem. We can do that.’ They asked us, ‘What do you want for that?’ We said, ‘We’re not cops. We’re not security guards. Just give us some beer.’ They said, ‘Okay.’ ”

RECOMMENDED by the Grateful Dead.

Some people act like the Stones should've had some kind of magic future ball or a private investigator - the Stones didn't know that the Idiot Angels would turn into terrorists.

It appears that no one knew.

Date: November 24, 2019 04:26

The Rolling Stones arrived two days before the event...I represented The Stones and never hired anyone for security.. I doubt that anyone 'hired' the Hell's Angels..Based on their use at the Grateful Dead events, it was probably more like... come hang out around the stage and watch the generators..like you usually do at Grateful Dead events.
Grateful Dead manager Rock Scully talked to the motorcycle gang about keeping order.
Pay attention to David Crosby when he says it was the Grateful Dead organization..
I had hoped the WaPo article would help stop this false narrative that the Rolling Stones hired the Hells Angels...

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 24, 2019 04:48

bmuseed
Finally the truth that it wasn't the Rolling Stones..they didn't arrive until the day before but the press over these 50 years kept blaming the Stones.

You just wrote in your original post above that the Stones arrived one day before, and here you say two days. Which is it?

bmuseed
The Rolling Stones arrived two days before the event...I represented The Stones and never hired anyone for security.. I doubt that anyone 'hired' the Hell's Angels..Based on their use at the Grateful Dead events, it was probably more like... come hang out around the stage and watch the generators..like you usually do at Grateful Dead events.
Grateful Dead manager Rock Scully talked to the motorcycle gang about keeping order.
Pay attention to David Crosby when he says it was the Grateful Dead organization..
I had hoped the WaPo article would help stop this false narrative that the Rolling Stones hired the Hells Angels...

Date: November 24, 2019 05:12

Either way...I'll be more precise...The Stones recorded in Muscle Shoals until December 4--they came into SF that evening and played Wild Horses and Brown Sugar for me..as seen in Gimme Shelter. The following night we visited Altamont..so two nights and one day before...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-24 05:24 by bmuseed.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 24, 2019 08:21

So everyone is ignoring Grace Slick's admission that she suggested the Angels to Mick?

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: November 24, 2019 13:55

KSAN Altamont Aftermath Radio Broadcast

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 27, 2019 06:28

this is fantastic, the podcast is fantastic

.....keep on rolling.....

Fantastic Altamont Podcast
Date: November 27, 2019 06:30

[www.washingtonpost.com]

.....keep on rolling.....

Re: Fantastic Altamont Podcast
Date: December 6, 2019 21:06

Well...50 years ago today...I guess everyone wants to forget it.

Re: Fantastic Altamont Podcast
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 6, 2019 22:12

ThePaleRider
Well...50 years ago today...I guess everyone wants to forget it.

Not me. I wrote this on Facebook just now.

Tonight marks 50 years since the concert at Altamont Speedway.
At the end of the 60s festivals were becoming a huge thing, thanks in no small part to Monterey Pop Festival and Woodstock. The dream was that it was possible for a large assembly of people to get together and make an alternative society, even if it was only for a few days. Monterey Pop did it with some success, and Woodstock did it while having some of the worst logistics in recorded history.
The Rolling Stones were doing a comeback USA tour at the end of 1969. “Comeback” because they more or less followed suit to the Beatles who quit touring entirely after the Candlestick Park San Francisco show in 1966. Everyone followed the Fab Four and there’s no shame in that I might add.
The Stones wanted to do a free concert as the last show. The original location was Golden Gate Park, but it fell through. They scrambled to find a new location, and succeeded. Altamont Speedway Track it was. Keith Richards has since said that getting security was a nightmare, and that The Grateful Dead told them about good experiences with using the Hells Angels instead. So that was what they went with. The Stones had used Hells Angels earlier that year at the Hyde Park free concert, aka the Brian Jonas Memorial Show. That was English Hells Angels, which more or less meant a bunch of scruffy teenagers who wanted to make mom and dad angry. The American Hells Angels were quite different. Well not “quite different”. FUNDAMENTALLY different is more correct. The fact that the Stones hadn’t realised what they’d gotten themselves into would prove to be fatal.
I’m not gonna spoil the movie for anyone who hasn’t seen it, but most of you know what happened.
A pivotal moment in the movie can be seen here. The Stones are playing Under My Thumb and watch what happens in the end.

[youtu.be]
(Headphones on and crank it)

That sound is just awesome. It’s not the AC/DC type of rock, or Van Halen. It’s much more laid back, loose, drugged out. To my ears it sound extremely heavy. Heavy sounds has got nothing whatsoever to do with how hard you bang a drum or how many effects you can stack on your guitar, or how fast you can play. How heavy it is gets determined by your approach. I don’t have an answer to why this is some of the heaviest I’ve ever heard, or why The Stones are the ones to have that honour. It just is.

So fast forward 50 years and I’m writing this why? Well, it’s been an important moment in my musical upbringing. I saw the Stones first time in 1998 and was hooked immediately. Since then I’ve caught them all the times they’ve been in Denmark, as well as in Brno, Berlin and London. I didn’t really own a lot of cds before, but I’ve got a lot now, as well as dvds and Blu-rays. When I first got hooked, I remember watching 4 vhs tapes over and over (thanks dad). Rock n Roll Circus, Voodoo Lounge Live 1994, Bridges To Babylon 1997 and the movie Gimme Shelter. The last one is the movie about the Altamont concert. I had never heard such a ruckus in my life. Bear in mind that I went to school in the 90s and was surrounded by grunge (Nirvana), bubblegum pop (Aqua), post grunge (Green Day, Offspring), the Mickey Mouse Club (Britney Spears, Aguilera, N’Sync), boybands (Take That, Backstreet Boys), Britpop (Blur, Oasis) and everyone was into Clawfinger, Spice Girls or hip hop. I’m not saying that I didn’t listen to it too. Of course I did. And I still do. Come to think of it, the 90s were a pretty great decade music wise.
I was just always the guy who were into older stuff. I grew up on Beatles, Stones, Bowie and the like thanks to my dad, and my older brother Mick (Yeah guess who he’s named after). I never REALLY listened. It was sort of background music in my childhood. It was just there. The moment I got struck by lightning the first time was when I heard Great Balls Of Fire by Jerry Lee Lewis. It’s a simple song, and there’s really not much to it, except for the fact that The Killer is a wildman, and you can hear it. That gave me the rock bug. From there I quickly discovered Little Richard, Chuck Berry and Elvis. I remember my 16th birthday party, held at my friend Krumme’s house. Three girls Tanja, Tina and Mia had gotten me Elvis: The Essential Collection. I wore that cd out. It couldn’t play in the end. I told those girls thanks then, and I’ll do it here again: THANKS!

Everything crystallised when I saw the Stones for the first time. And those four vhs tapes were what kept me there while I scraped money together for cds. Out of those four vhs tapes, the Altamont film is what I’ve watched most and it’s had a thunderous effect on me.
It’s the reason I play music.

JumpingKentFlash

Altamont - Fifty years ago
Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 6, 2019 13:34

Interesting Article Altamont

I know, it is in German …

[www.spiegel.de]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-07 21:57 by bv.

Re: Interesting Article Altamont
Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: December 6, 2019 20:26

Well I enjoyed the pictures

Altamont Tapes
Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: December 7, 2019 01:02

So there are various bootlegs that audience members recorded out there to hear what the Altamont gig sounded like. Plus in the Gimmie Shelter movie there are soundboard clips.

I am just curious, was the entire show professionally recorded or was it just parts of it? I would assume it was recorded entirely.

So whomever has the complete tapes, can you please just release the entire soundboard already? It's been 50 years of hoarding it. Release the tapes please. Despite the drama, there were some of the bands greatest performances there.

That's all.

Re: Altamont Tapes
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 7, 2019 01:35

sanQ

Release the tapes please.

Altamont complete (5 sources): [iorr.org] . Otherwise: [dbboots.com] .

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 7, 2019 02:08

No offense, but if I had a choice, I would rather have a box set of all the professionally recorded MSG shows.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 7, 2019 02:29

Wish there was a boot of Blackpool1964.

Supposedly the Maysles estate has a full MSG and Altamont filmed. Hopefully our great-grandchildren will get to see them.

Edit: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-07 02:32 by bleedingman.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: December 7, 2019 02:35

bleedingman
Wish there was a boot of Blackpool1964.

Supposedly the Maysles estate has a full MSG and Altamont filmed. Hopefully our great-grandchildren will get to see them.

Before his passing, Albert and his production staff confirmed The Rolling Stones at Altamont was partially filmed, some tapes were damaged.

He did have a Shidoobee film showing 10 years ago of an MSG 69 concert consisting of almost complete songs from the 2 dates and 3 shows in 69, spliced together for an almost full show in soundboard quality.

Posted by: ChrisM42 ()
Date: December 7, 2019 03:00

There are complete soundboard reels of the MSG '69 shows and Altamont.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: December 7, 2019 03:43

ChrisM42
There are complete soundboard reels of the MSG '69 shows and Altamont.

Yes perhaps audio, but not complete video of Altamont or MSG

Altamont soundboard audio exists of the whole Altamont show with all groups according to the Maysles Institute.

The Stones recorded the MSG audio and gave some audio reels to Maysles to use with his filming, according to the Institute. The stones gave Maysles the Baltimore Love In Vain audio, but there's no video to coincide.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: December 7, 2019 05:02

I am huge fan of the 1969 Stones tour so I usually pick up new live boots from that tour every time they are released and have at least half a dozen different Altamont boots. It was a terrible tragedy that day so it always amazes me how well the Stones played as good as they did. I always thought the violent conditions resulted in an urgency to the music.

According to documentarion Charlotte Zwerin, who worked on the production of the Gimme Shelter movie, she was given a copy of the complete concert.

"The performance of 'Gimme Shelter' was one of the most powerful things I'd ever heard. At one point the Maysles sent me tapes of the entire Stones performance uncut; it's out of a horror movie."

[www.salon.com]

Dead recording engineer Bob Matthews also claims to have complete multitrack pro recording tape of the concert. Here is his quote from a now no longer available East Bay Times article.

"We sort of felt like we got taken," says Alamo resident Bob Matthews, a recording engineer on several Dead albums who rolled tape at Altamont.

According to Matthews, who recorded the performance and still holds the tapes, the band delivered an inspired second set that closed with "Street Fighting Man," a song that might have rung the closing bell on the Woodstock era.

So there may be complete proshot/ multitrack audio and video of Altamont but understandably the complete audio/ video will most likely never see the light of day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-07 05:06 by oldschool.

Date: December 7, 2019 06:31

oldschool

According to Matthews, who recorded the performance and still holds the tapes, the band delivered an inspired second set that closed with "Street Fighting Man," a song that might have rung the closing bell on the Woodstock era.[/i][/b]

Altamont has had a bad rap as the concert that ended the '60's Woodstock' era. Really though, it was just a concert that happened at the end of the '60's.There is a much better candidate for the end of the Woodstock era...May 4, 1970 when National Guardsman at Kent State shot and killed students protesting the Vietnam war.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 7, 2019 20:47

did I read that right...the stones did a second set at Altamont?

no they didn't, not unless you count a break to sort out the chaos.

My understanding is that Bear/Owsley recorded the whole thing and his estate is in possession of the tapes. See Bears Sonic Journals. But they will never be let out. Never say never.

I have The Killer Festival by VGP and its pretty good for an audience recording.

I went to the raceway yesterday for the 50th anniversary...a couple of people there and we got let in by the caretaker to walk around a bit, but he was sure to note they don't let people in there nowadays, too many sue happy people out there. But the track looks way better than back then and is being used by Uber to test their driverless vehicles, that's what he said anyhow.

By the way is this Skippys site from the old publication?

alright
jb

New Altamont footage
Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: December 7, 2019 07:56

[youtu.be]

Apologies if posted before.
Some dude found his dad’s cine footage from Dec 6. Nice voiceover from Mom.
A different perspective on the day from Gimme Shelter.

Re: New Altamont footage
Posted by: footlooseman ()
Date: December 7, 2019 08:28

Say what

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1283
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home