Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Out Of Time live ????
Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: November 21, 2019 15:59

I have been wondering why Out Of Time has never been played live by the Stones.

It was a number one hit in 1966 and one of the really outstanding tracks on Aftermath.

They have often played Under My Thumb over the years from 1966 onwards and it is a song with similar instruments to Out Of Time.

It also has a great chorus as a "sing along song" which audiences would surely pick up on. The Stones are not averse to "sing along" from audiences, for example, whoo whoo in SFTD and the whoo s in Brown Sugar and the chorus in Ruby Tuesday.

It would be interesting to hear other peoples opinions as to why the Stones have never played this live when it is such a great song and still played on the radio.

Re: Out Of Time live ????
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 21, 2019 16:31

I love this song, and would LOVE to hear it live!!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 21, 2019 16:48

Kingbeebuzz

It was a number one hit in 1966 and one of the really outstanding tracks on Aftermath.

They have often played Under My Thumb over the years from 1966 onwards and it is a song with similar instruments to Out Of Time.

It also has a great chorus as a "sing along song" which audiences would surely pick up on. The Stones are not averse to "sing along" from audiences, for example, whoo whoo in SFTD and the whoo s in Brown Sugar and the chorus in Ruby Tuesday.

It would be interesting to hear other peoples opinions as to why the Stones have never played this live when it is such a great song and still played on the radio.

Everybody say "Owww"! in MR.

Yes, Out Of Time is a great song.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 21, 2019 17:33

It was in Scorsese want list for Shine A Light. I believe Mick made a comment on that list in the movie.

Surely they made wise choice and played a couple of warhorses instead.

Date: November 21, 2019 17:58

ironbelly
It was in Scorsese want list for Shine A Light. I believe Mick made a comment on that list in the movie.

did mick make a specific comment on "out of time"?

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 21, 2019 18:22

keefriffhard4life
ironbelly

did mick make a specific comment on "out of time"?
I do not remember. Need to watch it over again. I remember he was in a kind 'primadonna' mood while checking the list winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-21 18:24 by ironbelly.

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: November 21, 2019 18:42

As far as I remember, Mick was a bit afraid on doing Out Of Time, because they never did it before.
And btw : It's harder vocal work for Mick on this tune.

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 21, 2019 22:35

Kingbeebuzz

Because Chris Farlowe did it at 'Ready Steady Go'? On 17-Jun-1966 & 20-Dec-1966: [NZentgraf.de] - Wikipedia.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 21, 2019 22:53

….. lurv it …. bitter sweet …..
velvet glove lyrics …. best heard in mono ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 21, 2019 23:08

It was a number 1 in 1966 but for Chris Farlowe, a record that Mick produced.
The fact that it was such a huge hit meant that, effectively, the Stones had given Chris "ownership" of the song which might explain why the Stones never played it live.
Mick and Chris at 2min 17 sec in this gem of a movie.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 21, 2019 23:20

It's a good song. It never went anywhere in America, in any version. Very few people in their audience would even know the song, let alone know to sing along with it. At any rate, I believe Mick is too timid about setlists to allow Out of Time a chance.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 21, 2019 23:34

Nice promo Deltics

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 21, 2019 23:54

For me it was a great surprise when they played Heart Of Stone in 2002. Yes, it would be nice to have Out Of Time which is a very famous song from the Stones, just think that in every harvest, Stones from the 60s. I was pleased to listen in 2013 Lady Jane, I don't understand why they don't play it more often it's one of the most successful songs.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 21, 2019 23:59

I think Mick is afraid they will take the song to serious....................

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: November 22, 2019 02:04

It's in Tarantino's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 22, 2019 02:06

…. only ever think of one girl when I hear it ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 22, 2019 02:32

24FPS
It's a good song. It never went anywhere in America, in any version. Very few people in their audience would even know the song, let alone know to sing along with it. At any rate, I believe Mick is too timid about setlists to allow Out of Time a chance.

The Chris Farlowe version had enough airplay in America for me to get to know and love the song, before I knew it was a Stones song. I still enjoy both versions very much.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 22, 2019 03:58

Elmo Lewis
Kingbeebuzz

Everybody say "Owww"! in MR.

Yes, Out Of Time is a great song.

Mr. Lewis, that was a textbook example of subtlety and effectiveness. You deserve a standing ovation.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 22, 2019 07:58

In the new tv series Stumptown, Out of Time is played while main character Dex sits in a bar. Dex is played by Vancouver actress Cobie Smulders, who is married to former Saturday Night Live cast member Taran Killam.

A number of Stones songs from 66-68 have never been played live since they didn't do much touring then. Don't think a lot of songs on Between The Buttons have been played.

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: November 22, 2019 10:05

Out of time live by Elvis Costello. The Stones should try it themselves.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: WillInUK ()
Date: November 22, 2019 10:57

I tried to get my band to do it but singer won't do it. I think it must be more difficult to sing than you think.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: November 22, 2019 13:01

Kingbeebuzz

OOT was never released as a single by the Stones. Hence, the information it'd have been a No.1 hit refers only to Chris Farlowe's version, doesn't it?

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: November 22, 2019 14:11

Well, difficult to sing can only mean it`s a very good song. I often think of this song when I see they`ve played Under My Thumb. Could "OOT" really be so much more difficult?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 22, 2019 14:31

24FPS

I would say it is a much better known song than "Play With Fire", which we got this summer.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: November 22, 2019 17:16

The 5:37 version originally recorded at RCA has a brilliant otherworldly almost ghostly feel to it.

There is NO WAY they could given their current abilities do it justice today ... plus football stadium crowds would see it as an automatic pee-break!

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: November 22, 2019 18:31

Elmo Lewis
24FPS

I would say it is a much better known song than "Play With Fire", which we got this summer.

I don't think it's as well known. "Play With Fire" was on Hot Rocks (64-71)...everyone I knew had that compilation, even casual Stones fans.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: November 22, 2019 18:33

They would have to show empathy, like it was 1966 again. No heavy handed 2020 version, please!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 23, 2019 00:09

ive never really liked this song, its not a bad song, just dont did it, i cant explain why

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 23, 2019 01:16

Deltics
It was a number 1 in 1966 but for Chris Farlowe, a record that Mick produced.
The fact that it was such a huge hit meant that, effectively, the Stones had given Chris "ownership" of the song which might explain why the Stones never played it live.
Mick and Chris at 2min 17 sec in this gem of a movie.

Nice one Deltics.

I remember Chris Farlowe so well in the great 60's days of live TV with Ready Steady Go.
Although 'Out of Time' not performed here, a really memorable Friday night RSG with Otis, Chris on about 11mins 25secs, and Eric all performing live on the same show.thumbs up

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 23, 2019 02:20

I played the song at the pool today --- my I-phone to external mini Bose Speaker-

Well Recepted!!! Then I had to go back into the crib - working from home VPN - Folks Skyping me to no end- Get things done !!! Yeah!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1689
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home