Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - The Norwegian sugar tax, is it better for your health or more of a money grab?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 20, 2019 17:14

Sugar intake in Norway is at a nearly 50 year low. Is the tax a money grab for the government disguised as a deterrent, or good faith attempt to entice the population to eliminate sugary drinks and excess in food? Municipalities in the USA have been trying to legislate this on the people. I believe NYC was interested in some sort of tax or outright ban on sugary drinks. Obviously, the companies with a stake in game would disagree, but is this fair to everyone, including bakers, restaurants, stores, citizens, etc... will it have the desired long term effect on health issues such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and weight gain?

The Guardian has this article in today's read:

[Norwegian sugar consumption tumbles]

Re: OT - The Norwegian sugar tax, is it better for your health or more of a money grab?
Date: November 20, 2019 17:51

Politics... smoking smiley

Re: OT - The Norwegian sugar tax, is it better for your health or more of a money grab?
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 20, 2019 17:53

Money grab.

C

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 20, 2019 18:00

On matters like this, I tend to lean libertarian, although with a nationalized healthcare system, it does make sense to attempt to collectively reduce factors that increase costs for treating preventable diseases...so from a certain point of view, it's fiscally responsible and proactive.

In America, this shit would never fly though. It's our g*d-given right to be bloated and out of control, and then force Medicare to pay for all our life mistakes at the end.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 20, 2019 18:30

The Norwegian sugar tax, is it better for your health or more of a money grab?

By it's very definition, probably both.

But whether it will reduce the sugar consumption of those who really need to reduce it is perhaps doubtful.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 20, 2019 18:44

Has increasing taxation on alcool & cigarettes ever reduced consumption of these products?

C

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 20, 2019 18:56

Sugar's a killer … avoid it if ya can …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 20, 2019 19:09

Rockman
Sugar's a killer … avoid it if ya can …..

Including Brown Sugar?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: November 20, 2019 19:27

….. I do love Sugar Kane ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 20, 2019 19:51

Rockman
….. I do love Sugar Kane ……
I prefer Big Daddy Kane.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 20, 2019 20:35

I like me some Sugar Pie.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 20, 2019 20:41

A big german supermarket chain recently ran an ad campaign for a spoon that was bent inward. It was supposed to help customers cut back on their sugar intake. It makes me furious just to think about it, but I guess the campaign worked on me in some way since it continues to haunt me. I don't shop there.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 20, 2019 20:51

Brown Sugar's the only sugar I consume. Especially when she wears high heels and stay-ups and got those long eyelashes on….

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 20, 2019 21:08

i get my sugar consumption from alcohol

thanks to the scottish government they set a minimum price, which nearly doubles my weekend carry out.

thanks nicola, and thanks for giving us the choice on what we do with our health.

so concerned about our health in scotland they are unless its knife crime, theyve done nought about that for decades.

its ok to get stabbed to death but not ok to for your health to deteriorate slowly.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 20, 2019 21:35

social engineering. they've done this in seattle on soft drinks with sugar. has ended up hurting a lot of small businesses. the thought is good but the implementation has left a lot to be desired.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 20, 2019 21:59

same in scotland.

minimum price on alcohol and sugar tax all in the last 18 months.

governments dont think things through, it hurts peoples businesses.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 20, 2019 22:04

The Sicilian
Sugar intake in Norway is at a nearly 50 year low. Is the tax a money grab for the government disguised as a deterrent, or good faith attempt to entice the population to eliminate sugary drinks and excess in food? Municipalities in the USA have been trying to legislate this on the people. I believe NYC was interested in some sort of tax or outright ban on sugary drinks. Obviously, the companies with a stake in game would disagree, but is this fair to everyone, including bakers, restaurants, stores, citizens, etc... will it have the desired long term effect on health issues such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and weight gain?

The Guardian has this article in today's read:

[Norwegian sugar consumption tumbles]

Your opening statement seems to answer your own question...............Unless of course the Norwegian navy are sinking sugar freighters off the Norwegian coast .........

I've found with all my addictions in life, sugar has been the hardest to get away from, personally (as in personal craving) and environmentally (ie availability).........

Date: November 20, 2019 22:37

Sugar Kane or Big Daddy Kane ………………………………… its all B&W ta me …………….

ROCKMAN

Date: November 21, 2019 20:33

Spud
The Norwegian sugar tax, is it better for your health or more of a money grab?

By it's very definition, probably both.

But whether it will reduce the sugar consumption of those who really need to reduce it is perhaps doubtful.

What is it that makes refined sugar so bad? Coffee beans are refined, chocolate beans are refined and nobody complains.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: November 22, 2019 01:32

Deltics

Here is a pretty good audio recording of her.

Sugar Pie DeSanto2014-07.13.aud.mk4.sterngrovesf.flac16 [spaces.hightail.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-22 01:34 by daspyknows.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: November 22, 2019 06:58

Money grab.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 22, 2019 08:54

Deltics

Cool tune Deltics thanks, and also cool to see a video posted directly on page - I thought that feature was a thing of the past!
Taking notes on how to do it for future posts.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: November 22, 2019 19:29

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-23 14:42 by SomeGuy.

Date: November 22, 2019 19:45

I don't mind paying a bit more (it's not much) for the unhealthy stuff, as long as those tax money are spent well (and they are indeed).

It would be a money grab only if our health service system wouldn't improve, but it does.

Other countries with different health care systems would have to restructure everything to make something like this work, though.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 22, 2019 21:51

Norway has got the best health care system in the world. No wonder there is a high tax on stuff that makes you end up in hospital, with a long and expensive (for the system, not for you) care, like alcohol, tobacco, sugar etc.

Bjornulf

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: November 22, 2019 22:46

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-23 14:42 by SomeGuy.

Date: November 24, 2019 00:29

bv
Norway has got the best health care system in the world. No wonder there is a high tax on stuff that makes you end up in hospital, with a long and expensive (for the system, not for you) care, like alcohol, tobacco, sugar etc.

Is health care free for all citizens or is there a payroll tax on each workers paycheck?

Date: November 24, 2019 16:01

The Sicilian
bv

Is health care free for all citizens or is there a payroll tax on each workers paycheck?

Health Care is paid for by tax money. The tax is general, not specified or dedicated to specific services or needs, and it is used for education, health care and other stuff. I believe this is the model for Nordic countries (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland), probably also for many other countries in Europe.

Bjornulf

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: November 24, 2019 16:12

All taxes are a "money grab"

that being said, IMO: people who want to consume things that are likely to result in them sucking more money out of the health-care system SHOULD have to put more into it....sugar, cigarettes, alcohol, meat, fast-food, soda, junk food...

tax the f--k out of it...I don't care...I don't buy that stuff anyway.

On the flip-side, my (USA) gov't usually just pisses the money away on bombs, wars, pork-projects, space-exploration and other stupid crap, so there's that....

That also being said, we have great health care...it's just absurdly expensive and exclusive, which is just plain wrong.

'MURICA!

Just to insure this isn't too political: Rolling Stones Rule!! Whip! Play it!

"Patriotism is loving your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it" - Mark Twain

Date: November 24, 2019 17:47

Please do NOT turn this thread into a political discussion. Then I will simply close it.

There are more than 200 states/countries in the world. They do all have different politics on how to tax, and how to spend tax money. I am just documenting how the Norwegian tax is being set and spent. If you want to discuss tax politics and all of that then feel free to do that other places.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1130
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home