Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10
Re: OT: Mötley Crüe 2020 Tour
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 19, 2019 01:05

Dan
RollingFreak
Its funny even just on the level of Motley Crue and Def Leppard being a stadium draw in 2020. I like and enjoy both of those bands, but I can't imagine how you drum up even an ounce of interest in that. The concert business is such a hilarious struggle these days, I'm happy to sit back with popcorn and watch it all go down.

I can't imagine this being in anything but stadiums,

You don't have to sell 60,000 tix at full price to be profitable.

Live Nation pays them up front, also handles production & logistics as well. The bands only have to show up

Sell 1/3 at premium prices, 1/3 at middle range and 1/3 blow out in fire sales.

Keep in mind LN makes money off fees, a percentage of concessions (ever see how the prices change from ball games to concerts?) and parking. That there is worth millions.

This will be around 20 shows likely piggybacked with other Live Nation stadium shows, possibly the entire Green Day tour, in order to save money on production.

30,000 a night and this tour is a success. Def Leppard is a huge draw now for whatever reason. Both bands have likely added a third generation of customers since the last Motley Crue tour.

And these package tours sell an insane amount of beer. Live Nation will make more off this than they would a 20 date U2 stadium tour.

Excellent explanation! Leppard is actually a good draw since they tour so much. They toured with KISS and last year with Journey. Keep ticket prices reasonable and people will come.

Date: November 19, 2019 01:18

Live Nation wants butts in the seats, even if they get in for free. Buying beer, food, merchant, etc is what live nation banks on

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: November 19, 2019 01:52

I just don't see stadiums being realistic... unless there is a big headliner that was already suggested - GnR or Metallica maybe Van Halen ?
A summer thing like the old US festivals

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 19, 2019 02:24

Do any of these bands have any new material out?
Thought Poison was a forgotten fossil of the hair metal '80s, and thought Def Leppard have been releasing covers albums.
Don't have a clue about Motley Crue - there last listeneable album was their first from 1981, and maybe a couple of decent tracks on their second album, but even those have aged horribly.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 19, 2019 02:29

Don't they play these bands
while interrogating terrorists ????? ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 19, 2019 02:40

Hairball
Thought Poison was a forgotten fossil of the hair metal '80s, and thought Def Leppard have been releasing covers albums.
Don't have a clue about Motley Crue - there last listeneable album was their first from 1981, and maybe a couple of decent tracks on their second album, but even those have aged horribly.
Def Leppard is the most active...they've released albums in 2008, and 2015.

The other two, not so much.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: November 19, 2019 03:07

I've always nicknamed them Motley Clowns, Poison (named after their music), and Def Retards....

Date: November 19, 2019 03:49

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 19, 2019 03:54

… bet Eleanor would love havin' him drop in for Sunday lunch ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 19, 2019 04:23

Hairball

when i saw them in december 2015 in vegas i thought vince looked like stevie nicks with a beard. full length leather duster, man boobs, etc. stones related: i saw motley open 2 shows for the stones early on the bigger bang tour. they were ok but at one point both shows they did "home sweet home" with just vince & tommy lee on piano. vince tried to get the crowd to sing along. the silence was deafening. you could literally hear the guys hawking tshirts & tour books out on the concourse.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 19, 2019 07:05

umakmehrd
I just don't see stadiums being realistic... unless there is a big headliner that was already suggested - GnR or Metallica maybe Van Halen ?
A summer thing like the old US festivals

It's absolutely going to be in stadiums. Either band fills arenas on it's own and Poison does pretty good large & midsize venue business as well as a decent go to opener.

Everything you know about concert economics based on following Stones 20 or even 10 years ago is now obsolete.

Van Halen was supposed to tour either this year or next but it didn't happen, possibly Eddie's health issues.

Metallica is always on tour. GNR is under exclusive contract to Live Nation so they will do however many shows they are contracted to, either stadiums, festivals or even the Hollywood Palladium at $200 a pop.

Live Nation is the driving force behind most reunions. They pitch the agents, the band members directly and even convince them that just because the guy who wrote and sang the songs is dead doesn't mean we can't pay you a fuckload of money. I am sure the surviving Beastie Boys probably have Michael Rappino blocked by now but who knows maybe even they have a price that will someday be met.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 19, 2019 07:10

Yes, the business itself is quite pathetic that they are trying to sell Motley Crue and Def Leppard in a stadium in 2020. You're probably right, it probably will sell well because I also get how the politics of Livenation work. Its just sorry as @#$%& that THAT'S a show that's being touted these days. Again, I like both bands, but neither one of them should be anywhere near a stadium at this age. The Stones at least still put on a great stadium show. These guys are embarrassing and to make it on a large scale, and promote it as something to actually see, is laughable.

Date: November 19, 2019 08:38

OpenG
I always loved Mick Mars guitar tone and bluesy aggressive riffs not sure what he is up to these days he had some serious health issues to struggle with.

Same here. Ridiculous band, but Mick Mars was always very good IMO. And yes, he is in bad shape. If he is the guitarist, they will jack him up w/ something before the show, and have at least one other guitarist up there.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: November 19, 2019 09:22

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 19, 2019 13:21

keefriffhard4life
TheGreek
Turn back the clock to 2000 when Motley Crue toured with Poison and some one else , it wasn't Def Leopard .

motley crue and poison did not tour together in 2000. I saw poison in 2000 and I think it was quiet riot and warrant with them. maybe enuff znuff

the crue did a tour in 2000 with anthrax and megadeth and anthrax pulled out after like 10 shows
I do remember Megadeath and Dave Mustaine from that time . Good Show !

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 19, 2019 15:08

Supposedly one of the preconditions for this tour was the Vince lose 40 pounds, and that both Vince and Tommy cut back on the drinking. Good luck with that.

Date: November 19, 2019 15:09

Hairball

def leppard does a new album every 5 or 6 but all of the members have side projects. the singer has released 3 albums with his side project since 2010 I think. Vivian has released 2 albums with last in line since 2010. phil does side things too.

bret michaels does solo stuff.

the crue broke up a few years ago but just did 4 new tunes for the dirt. nikki and tomym are also busy in other projects

Date: November 19, 2019 15:13

Hairball

I can't stand Mötley Crüe myself (or rather Vince Neil in particular), but I'm pretty sure Dr. Feelgood is considered "listenable" by most rock fans...

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: November 19, 2019 16:32

DandelionPowderman
Hairball

I can't stand Mötley Crüe myself (or rather Vince Neil in particular), but I'm pretty sure Dr. Feelgood is considered "listenable" by most rock fans...

I used to like Mick Mars' guitar sound but the music got really horribly bad by the mid or late '80s and I never listened to them again and never will. One thing you have to give 'em, though, is that they were sort of the first of those bands in the vein of Bon Jovi, Guns 'n Roses and the lot, who came along a couple of years later. I strongly dislike those bands too, but still.
Do they fill stadiums? I sure think they do, together with Def Leppard. Perhaps people in Europe have no idea of the immense popularity these bands have enjoyed in the US, even compared to The Stones.

Date: November 19, 2019 17:01

SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

I used to like Mick Mars' guitar sound but the music got really horribly bad by the mid or late '80s and I never listened to them again and never will. One thing you have to give 'em, though, is that they were sort of the first of those bands in the vein of Bon Jovi, Guns 'n Roses and the lot, who came along a couple of years later. I strongly dislike those bands too, but still.
Do they fill stadiums? I sure think they do, together with Def Leppard. Perhaps people in Europe have no idea of the immense popularity these bands have enjoyed in the US, even compared to The Stones.

Musically, GNR don't belong with those other groups, imo.

I was on tour with Tracii Guns (and LA Guns) a few years back, and they sure do have followers in Europe still smiling smiley But they're bigger in the US, of course.

Date: November 19, 2019 17:03

DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

I was on tour with Tracii Guns (and LA Guns) a few years back, and they sure do have followers in Europe still smiling smiley But they're bigger in the US, of course.

tracii, very underrated as a player

Date: November 19, 2019 17:22

DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Musically GnR isn't exactly the same as Motley Crue of course, but I'm speaking generally. The sleazy image, the looks, the style, the attitude, all reflect the same movement that came up in the 80s, to some degree. For someone listening to (late) 70s heavy rock like me, that was apparent. No way you saw Black Sabbath in heavy rotation on MTV (they only had one hit single ever anyway), the difference between Axl or whatshisname and Robert Plant couldn't be bigger, and Vince Neil was no Rob Halford, not to mention Dio or Bruce Dickinson. And the funny thing was, it was all a bit retro in a way, too.
(Am I still making sense here? smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-19 17:24 by SomeGuy.

Date: November 19, 2019 17:31

SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Musically GnR isn't exactly the same as Motley Crue of course, but I'm speaking generally. The sleazy image, the looks, the style, the attitude, all reflect the same movement that came up in the 80s, to some degree. For someone listening to (late) 70s heavy rock like me, that was apparent. No way you saw Black Sabbath in heavy rotation on MTV (they only had one hit single ever anyway), the difference between Axl or whatshisname and Robert Plant couldn't be bigger, and Vince Neil was no Rob Halford, not to mention Dio or Bruce Dickinson. And the funny thing was, it was all a bit retro in a way, too.
(Am I still making sense here? smiling smiley

Absolutely! That's why I underlined "musically". Slash and Izzy were rooted in the blues (and in British hard rock).

The image goes back to Hanoi Rocks (actually a good band), who again dressed like the early 70s glam rockers smiling smiley

Date: November 19, 2019 17:38

Hanoi Rocks! True, I remember those. Another reason not to like Crue (Neil killed their drummer, Razzle or what was it again, in a car accident)

Date: November 19, 2019 17:39

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

And excellent player, and way more inspired by Page and Hendrix than I thought.

Date: November 19, 2019 17:40

SomeGuy
Hanoi Rocks! True, I remember those. Another reason not to like Crue (Neil killed their drummer, Razzle or what was it again, in a car accident)

Yep sad smiley

Date: November 19, 2019 17:49

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

And excellent player, and way more inspired by Page and Hendrix than I thought.

imo better than slash and more diverse

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: November 19, 2019 18:06

I'm guessing they have a second wind after the success of the netflix movie "Dirt"

Date: November 19, 2019 18:08

DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Forgot to add IMO, but thought that would have been clear - personally I can't stand that song.
However, I also forgot to mention Wild Side from 1987 which was a pretty good tune back in the day - maybe their last good tune?.

Wild Side

Date: November 19, 2019 18:20

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Forgot to add IMO, but thought that would have been clear - personally I can't stand that song.
However, I also forgot to mention Wild Side from 1987 which was a pretty good tune back in the day - maybe their last good tune?.

Wild Side

I meant Dr. Feelgood, the album, but I agree about the song.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1825
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home