Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Lars Ulrich commemorates Metallica opening for the Stones in 2005
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 18, 2019 00:10

Dan

They did and you were hiding down the street so you could pretend it didn't happen.

I wasn't there but I doubt they did.
I'd even go further implying the Mets were given by Mick the old "fck you openers" trick : not giving them as much P.A. power as the main act gets.
Check the show reviews here at IORR. Nobody wrote Metallica was loud, while they definitely are in concert (106 dB is the normal average sound level for Big Mick, their FOH guy...).
When AC/DC opened for the Stones lots of reviewers complained about the volume of the rockers, some even complained their hearing was shot and they couldn't properly hear the Stones afterward... grinning smiley
Conclusion?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-18 00:19 by dcba.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 18, 2019 00:32

Dan
Hairball
Lars is an idiot - I remember all the disparaging remarks he made about the Stones like a little girl.

I was at that show, but was prepartying with friends at a nearby bar and intentionally missed Metallica.
I recall after the show a bunch of youngsters were boldly claiming "Metallica blew the Stones away", and maybe for them it was true, but they were probably big Metallica fans and only there to see them anyways.
However, I did see them open for Ozzy in '86 at the Long Beach arena and they were heavy duty insane/intense albeit very noisy and chaotic- made Ozzy look and sound tame in comparison.

They did and you were hiding down the street so you could pretend it didn't happen.

Deja vu Dan as we've had this same exchange before nearly word for word, but this time I was more careful and said "maybe for them it was true"! smiling smiley

Yeah, I was hiding down the street so I could pretend it didn't happen...lol...grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-18 00:33 by Hairball.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 18, 2019 02:00

Cliff was a monster bass player in fairness, a thrash metal geezer

Posted by: Prodigalson ()
Date: November 18, 2019 02:32

I met Lars after the first of the the shows at Tosca’s Bar in SF. He saw me wearing a Stones shirt and asked if I was at the show. We spoke for a little while and I asked him what was it like to meet the Stones. He said he was disappointed to have barely have met them since the Stones security cut it off quickly. He said he was always a big Stones fan and wished he could have spent more time with them. He asked me what I thought of their show, I am a big fan of theirs too, he was very cordial. We ended the conversation and he back to shooting pool. Couldn’t have been a nicer, regular guy.
Also, I was at the SARS Toronto show, AC/DC was the best band that day. They had the crowd highly energized.
The Stones are my favorite band and I love all 40 shows of theirs I have been to but that is the way I saw it that day.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 18, 2019 05:12

Prodigalson
I met Lars after the first of the the shows at Tosca’s Bar in SF. He saw me wearing a Stones shirt and asked if I was at the show. We spoke for a little while and I asked him what was it like to meet the Stones. He said he was disappointed to have barely have met them since the Stones security cut it off quickly. He said he was always a big Stones fan and wished he could have spent more time with them. He asked me what I thought of their show, I am a big fan of theirs too, he was very cordial. We ended the conversation and he back to shooting pool. Couldn’t have been a nicer, regular guy.
Also, I was at the SARS Toronto show, AC/DC was the best band that day. They had the crowd highly energized.
The Stones are my favorite band and I love all 40 shows of theirs I have been to but that is the way I saw it that day.
Your story about meeting Lars is what I've heard from other people who've met him. I used to think he was an arrogant tool too (most likely due to cocaine abuse), but interviews I've seen of him recently and fan interactions like yours changed my mind.

Cool guy, great businessman, mediocre drummer.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 18, 2019 09:24

Mark McGrath (lead singer of Sugar Ray) told Leno on The Tonight Show that, when Sugar Ray opened for the Stones at the San Jose Arena (on the No Security tour), for their "Stones photo" the Stones snuck up behind the members of Sugar Ray as though the Stones almost hoped to stand behind them for the photo and sneak away before Sugar Ray even knew they were there.

After the photo the Stones disappeared as quickly as they'd come.

McGrath told Leno, "I wanted to party with Mick! Who wouldn't want to party with Mick?"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 18, 2019 10:40

…..HHHHHaaaaa that's funny …. sneak up behind 'em ….

is there a photo of this Sugar-Ray Stonesmeet ??? …. wanna see

ROCKMAN

confused smileyRe: Lars Ulrich commemorates Metallica opening for the Stones in 2005
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 18, 2019 13:23

Here is what bugs me - you get a meet and greet and your photo taken with the Stones and then you are going to pitch a bitch about it ? Talk about ungrateful in my eyes !

Re: confused smileyRe: Lars Ulrich commemorates Metallica opening for the Stones in 2005
Date: November 18, 2019 15:20

TheGreek
Here is what bugs me - you get a meet and greet and your photo taken with the Stones and then you are going to pitch a bitch about it ? Talk about ungrateful in my eyes !

I would too if I was a world famous musician. for a fan who had to pay to meet the band sure that's all you are going to get is a quick photo op and handshake. to metallica, who have sold probably 50 million albums in America from 1991-present , I would expect a little more interaction

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 18, 2019 15:46

Rockman
…..who cares what Lars thinks …
Never let 'em in me house … never been on me stereo ….

Right !!
Nuff said.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 18, 2019 16:47

Rockman
…..who cares what Lars thinks …
Never let 'em in me house … never been on me stereo ….

Right !!
Nuff said.

Same here lads! Only interaction in my house has been in my VCR, watching Some kind of monster, that's a fun rock docu but thankfully mostly conversation and not so much music (zak). Rehabs are for quitters.

Re: confused smileyRe: Lars Ulrich commemorates Metallica opening for the Stones in 2005
Date: November 18, 2019 18:42

TheGreek

Very ungrateful - he should be thankful to the Stones for allowing them to open, cherish his photo, and keep his damn mouth shut.

Date: November 18, 2019 18:54

Hairball

Very ungrateful - he should be thankful to the Stones for allowing them to open, cherish his photo, and keep his damn mouth shut.

thumbs down

Well well, by 2005 it was almost the other way around, and I'm not a Metallica fan .

Date: November 18, 2019 19:08

TheflyingDutchman
Hairball

thumbs down

Well well, by 2005 it was almost the other way around, and I'm not a Metallica fan .

metallica were easily the biggest band in the world during the 1990's

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 18, 2019 19:18

keefriff99

To his credit : excellent song builder. He had a thing to pick riffs from Het and Kirk assemble them into anthemic songs. There's a story where he heard Hammett play a little harmless "thing" on guitar. He saw the potential in it and he insisted on this little thing to be kept on tape.
Well the little thing turned out to be the arppegiated intro to "Enter Sandman". spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: November 18, 2019 19:20

dcba
keefriff99

To his credit : excellent song builder. He had a thing to pick riffs from Het and Kirk assemble them into anthemic songs. There's a story where he heard Hammett play a little harmless "thing" on guitar. He saw the potential in it and he insisted on this little thing to be kept on tape.
Well the little thing turned out to be the arppegiated intro to "Enter Sandman". spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Yep, he's an excellent arranger. I think he kept up with the idea to triple Hammett's riff and then add the little "tail" on the end...and an all-time classic was born.

Date: November 18, 2019 19:36

Hairball
TheGreek

My exact sentiment . What's Mick, Keith, Charlie , and Ronnie supposed to do entertain them and ply them with food and beverage and then play there show ? Jeez , the Stones had to prepare for there show also ! The ninny generation that wants to have there hand held and spoken to gently and given there undivided attention .

Date: November 18, 2019 19:39

TheGreek
Hairball
TheGreek

My exact sentiment . What's Mick, Keith, Charlie , and Ronnie supposed to do entertain them and ply them with food and beverage and then play there show ? Jeez , the Stones had to prepare for there show also ! The ninny generation that wants to have there hand held and spoken to gently and given there undivided attention .
The guys in Metallica are almost 60.

It sounds like the sensitive types are the ones who can't bear to read a musician mildly critiquing the Stones' backstage routine.

Date: November 18, 2019 19:46

keefriff99
TheGreek
Hairball
TheGreek

It sounds like the sensitive types are the ones who can't bear to read a musician mildly critiquing the Stones' backstage routine.
You just made me smile smiling smiley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 18, 2019 19:47

keefriffhard4life
TheflyingDutchman
Hairball

thumbs down

metallica were easily the biggest band in the world during the 1990's
Its just being butthurt.

Date: November 18, 2019 20:04

keefriff99
dcba
keefriff99

Yep, he's an excellent arranger. I think he kept up with the idea to triple Hammett's riff and then add the little "tail" on the end...and an all-time classic was born.
'

yup that's pretty much what lars did. lars and james pretty much come up with 85% of the bands material

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 18, 2019 20:41

didn't Metallica violate the sacred laws of the shepherd's pie? haha. a good opener story is John Popper of Blues Traveller badly wanted to play with the band. When informed of this Mick sniffed & said "too many notes".

Date: November 18, 2019 21:57

………. okay too hard on Lars and his fans

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-18 23:08 by Rockman.

Date: November 18, 2019 22:00

Rockman
Lars, Lars you dirty Jezebel
Why, why, why, why don't you go to hell

Why, why you think me such a fool
Lars, Lars, Lars honey that's ya rules ………

That's the brains of a Stones fan. Grow up man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-18 22:11 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: November 18, 2019 22:25

Well we are on a Stones site ….
Never been there but guess Stones get rubbished on Metallica sites ….

ROCKMAN

Date: November 18, 2019 23:39

TheGreek
keefriff99
TheGreek
Hairball
TheGreek

Ditto. smiling smiley

In reality it seems some Lars/Metallica fans can't bear to see Lars getting critiqued for being a complete twat to Mick and the Stones.
Seems Lars learned his lesson though based on his recent comments on first post of this thread, but you can't rewrite history and most Stones fans know he's an idiot.

Date: November 18, 2019 23:46

Hairball
TheGreek
keefriff99
TheGreek
Hairball
TheGreek

Ditto. smiling smiley

In reality it seems some Lars/Metallica fans can't bear to see Lars getting critiqued for being a complete twat to Mick and the Stones.
Seems Lars learned his lesson though based on his recent comments on first post of this thread, but you can't rewrite history and most Stones fans know he's an idiot.

troll alert.

saying you were rushed through meeting the rolling stones and they didn't seem to care one way or another is not being a twat to anyone but telling it like it was. since lars is the 3rd musician minimum, lars, mark McGrath and one of the guys from motley crue, to all have the same story then its a reality that is how the stones treat the bands opening for them

Date: November 18, 2019 23:49

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
TheGreek
keefriff99
TheGreek
Hairball
TheGreek

Ditto. smiling smiley

troll alert.

saying you were rushed through meeting the rolling stones and they didn't seem to care one way or another is not being a twat to anyone but telling it like it was. since lars is the 3rd musician minimum, lars, mark McGrath and one of the guys from motley crue, to all have the same story then its a reality that is how the stones treat the bands opening for them

Troll alert on a Stones board lol....ummm ok, whatever you say.

And what do these bands expect? To have their feet massaged?

Date: November 19, 2019 01:16

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
TheGreek
keefriff99
TheGreek
Hairball
TheGreek

Ditto. smiling smiley

troll alert.

Troll alert on a Stones board lol....ummm ok, whatever you say.

And what do these bands expect? To have their feet massaged?

Troll alert because you multi quoted something and then said the exact opposite of the 3 posts that were quoted.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 19, 2019 02:09

Hairball is more of a goblin than a troll.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1779
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home