Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Lars Ulrich commemorates Metallica opening for the Stones in 2005
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 16, 2019 17:19

November 13, 2005 we returned to live action after almost a year away by supporting an up-and-coming British blues band called @TheRollingStones over a coupla shows in San Francisco.

The St. Anger tour finished the previous November and after some much-needed chill time, we were gearing up to start thinking about the next creative phase when we got the call.

Up til that point, we had played with a lot of the bands that I had posters of up on my walls, including Deep Purple, AC/DC, Iron Maiden... and the chance to put a check mark next to rocking with The Stones at home in SF seemed way @#$%& fun.

The idea of playing a coupla shows supporting, going on stage early, nothing to promote, performing a shorter set, going to my own bed at home was definitely a vibe and was a cool way to ease ourselves into the making of the next record.

An inspiring and memorable experience!

[www.instagram.com]

Re: Lars Ulrich commemorates Metallica opening for the Stones in 2005
Date: November 16, 2019 17:21

Nice words...I know the guys in Metallica have mentioned how the above photo was awkward and rushed in the past.

Date: November 16, 2019 17:33

But Lars wrote more...

Posted here earlier. "Mick Jagger looked at me like I was about to give him pneumonia, or something"...

He complained about only being able to see the band for 15 seconds, and that they were handed t-shirt etc and "bye bye"...

So this newer version of his recollection of the support gig looks a bit brighter than the real version grinning smiley

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 16, 2019 18:10

That picture has a very weird perspective. Who is in front of who? I thought the Stones were rather small people, but here I really can't tell how tall anyone is. And how tacky is it to say "coupla" twice

Date: November 16, 2019 18:12

DandelionPowderman
But Lars wrote more...

Posted here earlier. "Mick Jagger looked at me like I was about to give him pneumonia, or something"...

He complained about only being able to see the band for 15 seconds, and that they were handed t-shirt etc and "bye bye"...

So this newer version of his recollection of the support gig looks a bit brighter than the real version grinning smiley
That's what I mean...he's definitely had a change of heart about the whole thing!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 16, 2019 18:48

keefriff99
That's what I mean...he's definitely had a change of heart about the whole thing!

He's a living weathervane. In the late 80's when he was at his most technical playing (the "Justice" album) he even dissed Charlie. Like "huh the guy can't even play a drum roll".

Forward to 2018 :
[www.revolvermag.com] grinning smiley

Didn't Keef say that Metallica (and the like) sound like a jet plane on the airstrip, with the reactors at full power but never taking off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-16 19:09 by dcba.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 16, 2019 19:07

Lars is an idiot - I remember all the disparaging remarks he made about the Stones like a little girl.

I was at that show, but was prepartying with friends at a nearby bar and intentionally missed Metallica.
I recall after the show a bunch of youngsters were boldly claiming "Metallica blew the Stones away", and maybe for them it was true, but they were probably big Metallica fans and only there to see them anyways.
However, I did see them open for Ozzy in '86 at the Long Beach arena and they were heavy duty insane/intense albeit very noisy and chaotic- made Ozzy look and sound tame in comparison.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 16, 2019 19:28

Lars has said nothing wrong about this experience. If you think that you're totally biased. He mentioned the story how it actually happened, and now he prefers to memorialize it as a happier memory. I don't see how there's any problem with that. As for what he might have said in the distant past... we were all kids once. We all evolve. I didn't use to think the Sex Pistols album was music. I thought it was noise. Now I love it. Everyone changes.

Date: November 16, 2019 19:37

RollingFreak
Lars has said nothing wrong about this experience. If you think that you're totally biased. He mentioned the story how it actually happened, and now he prefers to memorialize it as a happier memory. I don't see how there's any problem with that. As for what he might have said in the distant past... we were all kids once. We all evolve. I didn't use to think the Sex Pistols album was music. I thought it was noise. Now I love it. Everyone changes.
Well true, he never bashed them exactly, but as the above quotes indicate, he found the whole "meet and greet" and photo op with them to be rushed and impersonal.

I'm in the minority of people that actually like Lars...he takes a ton of time to talk with fans backstage, and I've heard nothing but good things from people who have met him.

Date: November 16, 2019 19:39

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
But Lars wrote more...

Actual quote:

"...and then they came over to where we were standing waiting, and they all looked at us… No, actually, Charlie Watts said 'Hello' and I think Keith nodded or something,
and Mick like we were all gonna give him pneumonia or something — he had this disgusting look on his face.... that kind of left me with a little bit of a strange taste in my mouth . . .
If we ever pulled that, would you come and find me and shoot me? I mean, seriously"'?

Lol..what a dick.

Date: November 16, 2019 19:53

Hairball
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
But Lars wrote more...

Actual quote:

"...and then they came over to where we were standing waiting, and they all looked at us… No, actually, Charlie Watts said 'Hello' and I think Keith nodded or something,
and Mick like we were all gonna give him pneumonia or something — he had this disgusting look on his face.... that kind of left me with a little bit of a strange taste in my mouth . . .
If we ever pulled that, would you come and find me and shoot me? I mean, seriously"'?

Lol..what a dick.
Lol, well c'mon, Mick is pretty prissy. Do you really think he was interested in meeting the guys from Metallica? I wouldn't be surprised if he had a "Oh, hello commoner" reaction to them.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 16, 2019 19:59

keefriff99
RollingFreak
Well true, he never bashed them exactly, but as the above quotes indicate, he found the whole "meet and greet" and photo op with them to be rushed and impersonal.

I'm in the minority of people that actually like Lars...he takes a ton of time to talk with fans backstage, and I've heard nothing but good things from people who have met him.

Well exactly. Its one person here saying he's an @#$%& lol.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: November 17, 2019 00:38

Saw Metallica at the Quebec Summer Festival. Only went because I already had my wristband for the whole festival and the main reason I bought it was because of The Who. Wouldn't have paid to see them and when I attended their show, I understood why I wouldn't have paid to see/hear Metallica. I really don't get what's appealling with this band. Nothing Else Matters is so 'soporific' as an encore and 'Enter Sandman'.... Beurk.... James Hatfield doesn't sing... He vomits in the microphone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-17 00:42 by daniel t.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 17, 2019 02:04

Probably everyone who has spent 15 seconds in Lars’ company ends up giving him the look he described Jagger giving him....

I saw Metallica a few times in the years between 92 and 2003 when they played Master of Puppets in full. The first Metallica album I bought week of release was the black album. It’s been the last good one also. Whatever hope Metallica ever had of blowing the stones off the stage was well gone by 05

I preferred Megadeth in spite of Mustaines ramblings and whiny voice. Rust In Peace is a superior album for me than the black album. But the people’s bought the black album in the 10s of millions. The people’s vote gotta count for something.

They were killer live in 92 though, indoors 10,000 in the old point depot Dublin. Good times. Bag of cans.. grinning smiley

Date: November 17, 2019 03:14

Paddy
Probably everyone who has spent 15 seconds in Lars’ company ends up giving him the look he described Jagger giving him....

Lol yeah, he's always come across as a whiny little kid.

I did like them up to the Master of Puppets album - Leper Messiah was a great track and is guaranteed to drive everyone within a five mile radius absolutely nuts!

EDIT: I also recall the $5.98 E.P.: Garage Days Re-Revisited in '87 (I still have the cassette) - some decent covers, and all were very annoying...in a good way lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-17 03:26 by Hairball.

Date: November 17, 2019 10:30

DandelionPowderman
But Lars wrote more...

Ulrich's obsession has always been to see Metallica considered equal as legendary rock bands (the Who or the Stones). So he must have been quite mortified to be treated by Jagger and co. as just-another-opening-act i.e. some forgettable loud metal band from Cali.
"t-shirt, pic, and... beat it!" grinning smiley

Ulrich is butt-sore cause he would have loved Jagger to ask him for business advices or if Bob Rock was a potential choice as a producer for the next Stones album. Ya know... Metallica's mastermind talking biz with the Stones' mastermind till the end of the night on an equal plan! Yeah!

Nope, didn't happen, Lars! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-17 10:34 by dcba.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: November 17, 2019 14:50

Hairball
However, I did see them open for Ozzy in '86 at the Long Beach arena and they were heavy duty insane/intense albeit very noisy and chaotic- made Ozzy look and sound tame in comparison.

13-15 june 1986. You saw Cliff!!!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 17, 2019 16:35

Footage November 13:

[youtu.be]

November 15:

[youtu.be]

Date: November 17, 2019 16:51

this thread is full of haters. the last 30 years metallica has been way more successful, at least in the USA, than the stones and people are acting like this is a band barely able to sell out a theater with no hit albums in 25+ years

Date: November 17, 2019 16:55

TooTough
Footage November 13:

[youtu.be]

November 15:

[youtu.be]

My God they sound weak/horrible/under-rehearsed! Mick should asked the mighty Slayer to open for the Stones! >grinning smiley<

Keef : "huh huh, these lads [Slayer] sound like the Luftwaffe flying over my cradle in 1943. I do like them. And they don't play much louder than we did in 1972! Huh huh huh!"

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 17, 2019 17:03

Not so sure about that... whenever Keith is asked for his opinion on any band, he just acknowledges they exist

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 17, 2019 17:03

dcba
Ulrich is butt-sore cause he would have loved Jagger to ask him for business advices or if Bob Rock was a potential choice as a producer for the next Stones album. Nope, didn't happen, Lars! grinning smiley

Bob Rock would have production and co-songwriting credits on Ronnie's album I FEEL LIKE PLAYING recorded in 2009. Maybe Lars managed 25% of his goal after all.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 17, 2019 17:34

RollingFreak

Agree. Real reactions are best.
And, hey, Bill Wyman used to say that Mick would sometimes look right past him.

Date: November 17, 2019 19:20

Milan
Hairball

Yep, I did.
What a sad and tragic loss...even if he wouldn't have been in Metallica, he would have made it big somehow/somewhere.
He was an amazing bass player - RIP.

Date: November 17, 2019 21:58

Terrible drummer, Lars. Good band, but never liked his drumming.

Date: November 17, 2019 22:10

Hairball
Milan
Hairball

Yep, I did.
What a sad and tragic loss...even if he wouldn't have been in Metallica, he would have made it big somehow/somewhere.
He was an amazing bass player - RIP.
You watch those old videos of Cliff playing bass and it doesn't seem real what he was doing. Tremendous talent and a great composer too.

Date: November 17, 2019 22:11

Palace Revolution 2000
Terrible drummer, Lars. Good band, but never liked his drumming.
That's for sure. He was never an all-world talent but he played some really cool stuff in the '80s and '90s.

He admits he doesn't practice rudiments or chops anymore, and goddamn does it show.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 17, 2019 22:11

…..who cares what Lars thinks …
Never let 'em in me house … never been on me stereo ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 17, 2019 22:15

Hairball
Lars is an idiot - I remember all the disparaging remarks he made about the Stones like a little girl.

I was at that show, but was prepartying with friends at a nearby bar and intentionally missed Metallica.
I recall after the show a bunch of youngsters were boldly claiming "Metallica blew the Stones away", and maybe for them it was true, but they were probably big Metallica fans and only there to see them anyways.

They did and you were hiding down the street so you could pretend it didn't happen.

Date: November 17, 2019 22:28

Dan
Hairball

They did and you were hiding down the street so you could pretend it didn't happen.
I suppose that all depends on your perspective.

Just based on volume, heaviness, and tempo, it would be easy for a layman to conclude Metallica blew the Stones off the stage, but if you're not a fan of that style of music, then it just sounds like knuckle-dragging noise.

Lots of people claimed AC/DC blew the Stones off the stage at the SARS show, and I'd believe that a lot more because at least both are rock'n'roll bands, as opposed to a rock'n'roll band and a thrash metal band, which is a weird pairing.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1794
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home