Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Slightly OT: The Best Selling Music Albums and Artists 1969 - 2019
Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: November 11, 2019 18:26

[www.youtube.com]

Hypnotizing stuff, but leaves 2 questions: who the hell is Drake and where's this one particular band I'm missing...?

Re: Slightly OT: The Best Selling Music Albums and Artists 1969 - 2019
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 11, 2019 19:41

Drake is a mixed-race, Canadian hip-hop artist or part-Jewish background.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: November 11, 2019 20:29

Big Al

He is also quite simply the most-streamed artist in the history of music. As of mid-2018, Drake songs had TEN BILLION plays ... on Apple Music alone. in one year - 2018 - Drake tunes were streamed 8.5 billion times on Spotify alone.

By most measures, he is the most heard artist of his time.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 11, 2019 20:42

LazarusSmith
Big Al

He is also quite simply the most-streamed artist in the history of music. As of mid-2018, Drake songs had TEN BILLION plays ... on Apple Music alone. in one year - 2018 - Drake tunes were streamed 8.5 billion times on Spotify alone.

By most measures, he is the most heard artist of his time.
I'm not a fan of his, but his career is legendary in terms of navigating this current streaming era.

By my estimation, Elvis, the Beatles, Elton John, Queen, MJ, and Madonna showed the most staying power after watching this video once. Very cool presentation.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 11, 2019 20:43

A bit strange to detail his ethnicity in that manner.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 11, 2019 21:53

Drake ….
He's the guy who started a Stones food site a few years back ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 11, 2019 23:39

Very interesting - However, that moving chart would take on an entirely different personality if concert money was involved. Also, what about album sales that span the lifetime and not just the year?

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 11, 2019 23:39

Very interesting - However, that moving chart would take on an entirely different personality if concert money was involved. Also, what about album sales that span the lifetime and not just the year?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 12, 2019 00:14

Big Al

Oh... a sort of modern day Leonard Cohen then?

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 12, 2019 00:18

artists sales can never be compared in different eras.

steaming music and buying physical vinyl are 2 different things.

an example is 1 stream counts as 1 sale , and 2 streams count as 2 sales

but if you bought a record in the 70,s once and it counted as 1 sale you can listen to it 300 times and its not going to count as 300 sales.

i cant believe someone like drake can set these records, just dont buy that crap, if he was around in the 70,s he would be a nobody.

i never dig surveys as they are biased towards the younger generation due to the demographics of there being more younger folk than older, so its not a fair comparison.

and another thing, these figures never take into consideration inflation, so more recent sales always count more than older ones.its not a level playing field.

i wonder who the biggest selling artists of all time with inflation taken into account, all record sales, merchandising, concert gate figures in total, and royalties for songwriting, the whole lot, who would be the biggest,

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: November 12, 2019 01:18

buttons67
artists sales can never be compared in different eras.

steaming music and buying physical vinyl are 2 different things.

an example is 1 stream counts as 1 sale , and 2 streams count as 2 sales

but if you bought a record in the 70,s once and it counted as 1 sale you can listen to it 300 times and its not going to count as 300 sales.

i cant believe someone like drake can set these records, just dont buy that crap, if he was around in the 70,s he would be a nobody.

i never dig surveys as they are biased towards the younger generation due to the demographics of there being more younger folk than older, so its not a fair comparison.

and another thing, these figures never take into consideration inflation, so more recent sales always count more than older ones.its not a level playing field.

i wonder who the biggest selling artists of all time with inflation taken into account, all record sales, merchandising, concert gate figures in total, and royalties for songwriting, the whole lot, who would be the biggest,

sales and streams:
[www.buzzfeednews.com]

drake a nobody in the 70's? perhaps. the rolling stones a nobody were they to debut in 2019? perhaps. different eras, different tastes.

biased toward the younger generation: of course! this has been a tradition going all the way back to the earliest days of nielsen ratings -- as you get older and you have fewer purchasing years left you matter less and less. nothing new here -- young people ALWAYS count for more cuz they are a better investment!

biggest selling artist of all time: js bach, of course. followed closely by the fab four.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 12, 2019 01:52

so 1,500 streams count as 1 album sale.

obviously the survey is wrong then as it gave the numbers for streams not album sales and then compared to older artists album sales. so it didnt convert to one form or another.

it also proves there is no definitive way to compare actual total sales from one era to another.

for this survey to be taken seriously they would need to need to convert to the one form.

if someone buys a bowie album in the 70,s and listened to it 300 times then we need to come up with a figure of streams drake would need to match it. its all a bit complicated.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 12, 2019 03:28

Rockman
Drake ….
He's the guy who started a Stones food site a few years back ….

Spit-take courtesy of the resident Troublemaker.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 12, 2019 06:09

…………..

I'm a' honest man
I'm a' honest lover
Stand by my word
Don't know no other
I'm a' honest man
I'm a' honest lover
Don't tell my friend
Don't blow my cover ……………….

…………………………………………… Honest Man - Jagger Richards

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-08 23:57 by Rockman.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 12, 2019 08:50

peoplewitheyes
A bit strange to detail his ethnicity in that manner.

I’m one for detail. As others have said, he’s certainly a borderline phenomenon in terms of streaming-sales. I’m not entirely sure how credible he’s considered in the hip-hop world, however.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1972
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home