Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: An appreciation of Neil Diamond
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 9, 2019 18:11

Nice read on Neil Diamond. A number of his songs rotate through my Walkman mixes. Like Dion, Diamond has done cool songs most folks have never discovered.

[web.musicaficionado.com]

Re: OT: An appreciation of Neil Diamond
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 9, 2019 18:44

Longfellow Serenade is my Top Choice. Not that it matters- I wonder if he is in the R & R HOF.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 9, 2019 19:28

Chris Fountain
Longfellow Serenade is my Top Choice. Not that it matters- I wonder if he is in the R & R HOF.

Solitary Man!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 9, 2019 20:19

Cracklin' Rosie is a crackin' classic (first song that came to mind), as is Sweet Caroline and most of his greatest hits.
Part of the soundtrack to my early youth while listening to top 40 radio late '60's\early '70's.

Neil Diamond was sort of hip yet square at the same time - the type of music that my parents and their friends listened to when they had cocktail parties.
He seems to be one of the few who had young and old fans alike.

Neil Diamond - Cracklin' Rosie

Posted by: DD ()
Date: November 9, 2019 21:20

Some of it is great. Some of it is unmitigated cheese.

His Brill Building singer songwriter period resulted in some ace songs, found here (the first 10, in particular, I love):
[www.allmusic.com]

I also like some of this:
[www.allmusic.com]

There are some other great songs here and there, but if I never hear Sweet Caroline again, it'll be too soon.

Declan

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: November 9, 2019 21:23

I grew up with Neil Diamond's music ! And this week especially I listen a lot to his songs..it brings up good memories !
Exactly one year ago my dad died, and on his cremation we played Fats Domino ánd Neil Diamond .

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 9, 2019 21:33

Huge part of the soundtrack of the early seventies for me.
Still love a number of his songs.

Remember hearing him talk of writing "Cracklin' Rosie".. many may have known, but was I surprised to find out it was about a bottle of wine he bought while on the road...

"Cracklin' Rose, you're a store bought woman
You make me sing like a guitar hummin'" cool smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 9, 2019 21:55

Elvis, if he had managed his career right.
I flip past the Elvis channel on Sirius and they often have Elvis doing Neil Diamond covers.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: November 9, 2019 23:56

my parents played the holy living f*ck out of hot august night back in the day. i saw him a few years ago at staples ctr here in la and he was pretty damn good!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: November 10, 2019 01:24

Holly Holy

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 10, 2019 03:32

wonderboy
I flip past the Elvis channel on Sirius and they often have Elvis doing Neil Diamond covers.

Neil Diamond hired Elvis's drummer Ronnie Tutt shortly after Elvis died. Tutt also played in Jerry Garcia's mid-70s band. Between these 3 employers, Tutt must have some stories.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 10, 2019 05:09

ab
wonderboy

Neil Diamond hired Elvis's drummer Ronnie Tutt shortly after Elvis died. Tutt also played in Jerry Garcia's mid-70s band. Between these 3 employers, Tutt must have some stories.

Yes Ronnie Tutt did that great drumming on Burning Love.

I know a lot of guys from The Wrecking Crew played on many of his records. You can here the great Joe Osborne on bass on Neil Diamonds hits.

Date: November 10, 2019 13:23

Cracklin Rose is about wine

Date: November 10, 2019 14:27

His late solo albums are very good.
All those big hits are undeniable, but I always get slightly embarrassed when one of his songs comes on one of my playlists. I can't quite convince the other guys that they're missing out, like I do with Tom Jones.

Date: November 10, 2019 15:22

Palace Revolution 2000
His late solo albums are very good.
All those big hits are undeniable, but I always get slightly embarrassed when one of his songs comes on one of my playlists. I can't quite convince the other guys that they're missing out, like I do with Tom Jones.

Unsure of his status these days but recently was on some TV special. He sounded great!! Tom Jones was just as popular as BJ Thomas at their time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-10 15:24 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 10, 2019 18:26

In the ‘60’s and ‘70’s he was all over the radio. When I watched The Last Waltz for the first time, I thought his presence was incongruent with the whole of the show. But I realized that The Band and many of the other performers had a great deal of respect for him and his music. I have since come to enjoy and appreciate his artistry and I like many of his songs. He stands tall among bands and musicians of the past 50 years.

Thanks dmay for the thread.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 10, 2019 18:46

Neil also wrote songs for the Monkees.. at least four I believe.
"I'm a Believer," "Lookout, Here Comes Tomorrow," "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You," and "Love to Love."

Can definitely see where these could have been ND hits..
Talented writer.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: November 10, 2019 19:04

Never liked the guy, to be honest.

His appearance in the Last Waltz was embarrassing for all involved. The story goes that Robbie Robertson strong-armed the rest of the Band into agreeing to have him on the bill just so RR could promote the ND album he had just produced. RR even went as far as suggesting Muddy Waters get dropped to make room for ND if you believe Levon Helm's take on the subject.

Having said that, Mr. Diamond is certainly talented and has earned his accolades. And I would be interested to hear some of his lesser-known album tracks. Because his hits just don't do it for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-10 19:05 by JimmyTheSaint.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 10, 2019 21:11

Deep Purple rocked the hell out of this Neil Diamond tune in 1968: Deep Purple - Kentucky Woman

Neil's original is very tame and lightweight in comparison, though it's still great: Neil Diamond - Kentucky Woman

Verdict: Deep Purple wins.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 10, 2019 23:03

Ronnie Wood's reception to him backstage at THE LAST WALTZ ("What's he doing here?") was as scathing as it was embarrassing to witness. It wasn't Ronnie's gig. Robbie Robertson and Garth Hudson had just worked with Diamond. It's their call if he deserved to be on the bill with them.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: November 10, 2019 23:53

When I saw this thread I am ironically listening to "Brother Loves Travelling Salvation Show". Since its use in Tarantino's "Once upon a time in Hollywood" this song has grown on me. I like how it sound like a faith revitalization performance.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: November 11, 2019 00:29

Great singer and phenomenal entertainer. A true legend . A must see live in concert.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: November 11, 2019 00:33

Midnight Toker
Great singer and phenomenal entertainer. A true legend . A must see live in concert.

Lucky to have seen him live a few times. Unfortunately no longer possible due to his Parkinson's Disease.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: November 11, 2019 01:17

JimmyTheSaint

Mr. Diamond is certainly talented and has earned his accolades. And I would be interested to hear some of his lesser-known album tracks. Because his hits just don't do it for me.

Brooklyn Roads, produced by Chip Taylor who wrote Wild Thing among many other tunes of the period: [www.youtube.com]

Glory Road: [www.youtube.com]

And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: bam ()
Date: November 11, 2019 03:34

Sorry. Never liked him.
Always hated “Sweet Caroline.” I particularly hated it at Red Sox games.

There’s an ice cream store I go to in Palm Beach County, Florida, when visiting relatives. On weekends, they often have somebody outside the shop with a keyboard, singing at ear-splitting levels (so the elderly crowd can hear). I walked out of the store last year to “Sweet Caroline,” and my wife, knowing my opinion, laughed at me.

I went there a few months ago, and as I walked out, the singer said “Does anyone want to hear some Neil Diamond?” Involuntarily, I shouted “Nooooo!” He said, “all right,” and started to play something else. Then he stopped, and said, “ah, I’ll play it,” and he, of course, played “Sweet Caroline,”

Still hate it.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 11, 2019 04:39

I'm A Believer

Even before I liked the Stones, I loved the Monkees and especially that song, which was my favorite for a while.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 11, 2019 05:08

Hairball
Deep Purple rocked the hell out of this Neil Diamond tune in 1968: Deep Purple - Kentucky Woman

Neil's original is very tame and lightweight in comparison, though it's still great: Neil Diamond - Kentucky Woman

Verdict: Deep Purple wins.

Exactly! Purple also rocked the hell out of Joe South's Hush!

In recent years Sweet Caroline seems to be played a lot in arenas during sporting events, similar to Journey's Don't Stop Believing.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 11, 2019 05:09

The Fonz singing Song, Song Blue is my favorite Neil Diamond moment.

Date: November 11, 2019 14:37

JimmyTheSaint

His appearance in the Last Waltz was embarrassing for all involved. The story goes that Robbie Robertson strong-armed the rest of the Band into agreeing to have him on the bill just so RR could promote the ND album he had just produced. RR even went as far as suggesting Muddy Waters get dropped to make room for ND if you believe Levon Helm's take on the subject.

Having said that, Mr. Diamond is certainly talented and has earned his accolades. And I would be interested to hear some of his lesser-known album tracks. Because his hits just don't do it for me.

I agree. It is those tacky crescendos, musicaLLY and lyrically; this very provincial drama that he infuses all those early hits with, that turns me off.
But the two Rick Rubin albums "12 Songs" and "Home Before Dark" are much more restrained. It says a lot about ND that he recognized the value and power of a good producer. It was a win-win.

Again - I see such a parallel with Tom Jones, who cultivated a similar type audience back in the day. I always thought TJ was hot though. But his late era albums also showed so much more depth and and soul searching. Lots of Blues and Gospel.[youtu.be]

One of my favorite clips, where everyone seems intent on stealing the show. Stills is on fire back there on falsetto.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-11 14:39 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 11, 2019 15:31

I love Neil's early rockers:

Cherry
Thank The Lord For The Nightime
You Got To Me
etc.

He should get a writing credit for R. O. C. K. in the USA and What I Like About You.

That I IV VII I (E-A-D-A) chord change is awesome.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1335
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home