Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Echo in Canyon/J Phillips Pay Pack & Follow Cd
Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: November 8, 2019 02:38

Watched Echo in the Canyon on Netflix last night, the Jacob Dylan produced oDE to the mid-60s California sound, as elDEr hippies of yore (CS&N, Jackson Browne etc.) wax nostalgic about what a groovy time it was, and as the younger generation (Beck, Cat Power) look at amazement at old vinyl LPs as though finding ancient relics. Plays a bit like The Rutles ‘Can’t Buy Me Lunch’ at times, and the young Dylan, while earnest and pleasant enough, starts to bore after a bit as while he has his legendary father’s good looks, he pretty much lacks any of his elDEr’s edge. Still, it’s well worth a watch. And I maybe am not gonna run out and buy any Byrds albums as a result, but the one group I am now revisiting is The Mamas and the Papas. Wow - you forget how gorgeous their harmonies were. ‘All the leaves are brown, and the skies are grey...’.
All of which leads me to the Stones. I didn’t realize that Papa John Phillips recorDEd an album that only somewhat recently got a release - Pack Pay And Follow, with Keith, Mick and Ronnie making contributions (during a very druggie period). Anyone have it/heard it? Be interested to hear any thought on the album (& the Film).

Re: Echo in Canyon/J Phillips Pay Pack & Follow Cd
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 8, 2019 04:26

Two versions of it were officially released, PAY PACK AND FOLLOW and PUSSYCAT.
The latter is allegedly the original mix done for Atlantic Records in the 1970s. The former was remixed shortly before Papa John's death. Mick is very audible on PAY PACK AND FOLLOW. He's buried in the mix on PUSSYCAT. People claiming this was the great lost Stones album of the 1970s exaggerate greatly. It's another John Phillips album during his wilderness years of drugs and abuse. If you like his music or want to hear him with the Glimmer Twins, Taylor, and Ronnie backing him then it's worthwhile. If you look at the streaming option on the Amazon links, you can preview the tracks. Check youtube as well.

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-08 04:40 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: November 8, 2019 08:01

I like it. Definitely shares a guitar sound and vibe with Black and Blue era Stones.

T@3

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: November 8, 2019 08:25

The one song I occasionally revisit is Oh Virginia, mainly for Mick Taylor’s airy solo but also for the unique pleasure of hearing Mick and Keith provide back-up vocals at different points in the same song.

Date: November 8, 2019 14:44

DEmerson
Watched Echo in the Canyon on Netflix last night, the Jacob Dylan produced oDE to the mid-60s California sound, as elDEr hippies of yore (CS&N, Jackson Browne etc.) wax nostalgic about what a groovy time it was, and as the younger generation (Beck, Cat Power) look at amazement at old vinyl LPs as though finding ancient relics. Plays a bit like The Rutles ‘Can’t Buy Me Lunch’ at times, and the young Dylan, while earnest and pleasant enough, starts to bore after a bit as while he has his legendary father’s good looks, he pretty much lacks any of his elDEr’s edge. Still, it’s well worth a watch. And I maybe am not gonna run out and buy any Byrds albums as a result, but the one group I am now revisiting is The Mamas and the Papas. Wow - you forget how gorgeous their harmonies were. ‘All the leaves are brown, and the skies are grey...’.
All of which leads me to the Stones. I didn’t realize that Papa John Phillips recorDEd an album that only somewhat recently got a release - Pack Pay And Follow, with Keith, Mick and Ronnie making contributions (during a very druggie period). Anyone have it/heard it? Be interested to hear any thought on the album (& the Film).

IMO the "Pay Pack.." album is definitely worth searching for. It is very Stonesy, has Keith, Jagger, Ron, Taylor, and I think even Charlie on several tracks. "Pussycat" is the homogenized version, track and mix-wise. PP&F is much better. But judging by the accounts, and especially the photos those sessions seemed to have been very saturated by narcotics. There aren't too many pics of Keith that really show the un-glamorous, dirty side of H addiction. Those photos do.
I also saw the Laurel Canyon flic. I liked Jakob a lot; has a lot of style. And ended up liking Regina and the other girl singer a lot too. Beck looks so funny in those passages on the couch. The expression "a broom up his butt' came to mind. While I wish there had been more vintage footage; who wants to see 70 year olds drone on and on about hippie days? - I know the film was not about that. It must have been a glorious time to be alive and a musician.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 8, 2019 16:03

i love the band, the LA session guys backing up Jakob Dylan, etc. those are some fine players..

the Echo In The Canyon Band:

Geoff Pearlman- guitar

Fernando Perdomo- guitar

Justine Bennett- backing vocals

Jordan Summers- keyboards

Dan Rothchild- bass and backing vocals

Matt Tecu- drums

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 8, 2019 16:34

Echo in the Canyon is a really nice companion piece to Once Upon A Time in Hollywood.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: November 8, 2019 16:36

DEmerson

If you're on a Mamas / Papas kick make sure you pick up the 2cd The Complete Singles 50th Anniversary Collection on Real Gone. It sounds incredible. Original mono mixes from the best available sources with good mastering. The harmonies sound even better in their original mono and there's a few noticeable differences with instrumentation / vocal bits. If it included No Salt On Her Tail (a B-side here in the UK) I would probably never listen to another Mamas and Papas set.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: November 8, 2019 17:29

He was a very good songwriter. And that´s very obvious on Pay, pack and follow too. A cool record.

Date: November 8, 2019 18:27

Thanks for all the responses. Ash - I'll check into that M&Ps set! And Loog, I agree the film did bring to mind Once Upon a Time...
And it needs to be said - Michelle Phillips was a total babe!

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: November 8, 2019 18:30

Was absolutely Fantastic

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 9, 2019 02:28

Palace Revolution 2000
DEmerson

IMO the "Pay Pack.." album is definitely worth searching for. It is very Stonesy, has Keith, Jagger, Ron, Taylor, and I think even Charlie on several tracks. "Pussycat" is the homogenized version, track and mix-wise. PP&F is much better. But judging by the accounts, and especially the photos those sessions seemed to have been very saturated by narcotics. There aren't too many pics of Keith that really show the un-glamorous, dirty side of H addiction. Those photos do.
I also saw the Laurel Canyon flic. I liked Jakob a lot; has a lot of style. And ended up liking Regina and the other girl singer a lot too. Beck looks so funny in those passages on the couch. The expression "a broom up his butt' came to mind. While I wish there had been more vintage footage; who wants to see 70 year olds drone on and on about hippie days? - I know the film was not about that. It must have been a glorious time to be alive and a musician.

are you talking about fiona apple? i liked her part in the concert footage.

Date: November 9, 2019 15:13

crholmstrom
Palace Revolution 2000
DEmerson

No CR, there seemed to be two singers who were kind of with Jakob in the core of things: Regina Spektor, well known artists in her own right, and the other singer, who usually smiled while singing, and wore mini skirts.
Yes, Fiona is always great, but I think she was acting a bit during her performance.

Date: November 9, 2019 17:16

Yeah, Fiona Apple is good in this. Love her first album, and actually saw her open for the Stones, the one time I saw them at MSG.
Another thing I was thinking about the Echo film after giving it some thought (and listening to some more Mama’s and Papas) is how easy and effortless they made those seemingly simple songs appear - but then when you see some of the cream of the crop of the younger talented stars try to cover them - you see they’re not that easy.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: November 9, 2019 18:20

always loved this song from PP&F A;so has very prominent backing vocals by Mick):

[www.youtube.com]

I always figured it was about Mackenzie, but it sure took on a different meaning after the allegations in her book (titled after a line from the song!).

I never bothered reading the book, does she mention this song in it?

Posted by: MAYO ()
Date: November 9, 2019 18:45

Hope to reissue it on vinyl

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 9, 2019 19:27

Palace Revolution 2000
crholmstrom
Palace Revolution 2000
DEmerson

No CR, there seemed to be two singers who were kind of with Jakob in the core of things: Regina Spektor, well known artists in her own right, and the other singer, who usually smiled while singing, and wore mini skirts.
Yes, Fiona is always great, but I think she was acting a bit during her performance.

just looked it up. think her name is justine bennett. don't know anything about her.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: November 9, 2019 20:23

I think that singer is Jade Castrinos.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: November 9, 2019 23:54

dug the historical bits a lot; not so much the jakob-led modernizations.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1978
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home