Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT (slightly) - Red Devils
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 6, 2019 02:13

Re: OT (slightly) - Red Devils
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 6, 2019 04:16

Thanks kovach, great/sad article.

I've told a longer version of this story here before, but here's the short version: I grew up with Les Butler in Santa Monica.
As his sister says in the article, Les (as we knew him) "loved music, surfing, skateboarding, bike riding and smoking pot."

“They (Red Devils) were edgy, rocking and grooving" - Rick Rubin

“Oh man, they were quite an outfit to be reckoned with" - Billy Gibbons

“We went out for 120 days straight and there were all kinds of illegal things going on – drugs, fights, hookers, cops, jail, you name it.
One of us was bound to end up dead. Lester had actually clinically died four times in previous years" - Bill Bateman

“It got to the point where Lester was doing crack at every town we went through,”- Jonny Ray Bartel

I can only add that he earned a reputation well before joining the Red Devils.
And pardon for speaking ill of the dead, but he became sort of a shady scoundrel, especially when he started dealing coke.

Jagger and the Red Devils cut 13 tracks that day, scorching covers of vintage blues tracks and all but one of them still officially unreleased.

Would be nice to see an official release, but at this point it seems doubtful...at least there's all the bootlegs.

RIP Les

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 6, 2019 06:16

I've always...I don't know that enjoyed is the right word, but been very interested in what you've shared, Hairball.

Hopkins likewise has had some amazing adventures that are always worth reading about.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 6, 2019 14:29

"“That session is incredible,” says Rubin. “You’d have to ask Mick why he never chose to release it.”

Huh huh... Mick is allergic to anything that looks feels or sounds like nostalgia or bygone eras. Blues covers from the 50's played with a retro feel? Yuck!

He probably accepted to record with the RD just for fun and to smoothen the relation with Rubin (which were somewhat difficult acc. to witnesses).

Date: November 6, 2019 14:49

dcba
"“That session is incredible,” says Rubin. “You’d have to ask Mick why he never chose to release it.”

Huh huh... Mick is allergic to anything that looks feels or sounds like nostalgia or bygone eras. Blues covers from the 50's played with a retro feel? Yuck!

He probably accepted to record with the RD just for fun and to smoothen the relation with Rubin (which were somewhat difficult acc. to witnesses).

Quite a few covers wound up on WS, too...

Posted by: z ()
Date: November 6, 2019 15:47

DandelionPowderman
dcba

You mean, like the last album he released with his band, The Rolling Stones..?

Date: November 6, 2019 16:08

dcba

Agreed, if the Jagger-Red Devils sessions had a chance of seeing the light of day, Mick would have put one of the tracks on his solo anthology and talked to Rhino Records about releasing the entire package if the solo anthology sold well enough. Even more to the point, he could have released one of the Gary Moore tracks as a b-side to a single from WANDERING SPIRIT. And if he'd done that, he could have made the b-side available as a download with the solo anthology years later. There was as much a chance of that happening as the Stones booking sessions at an award-winning British studio renowned for its refurbished vintage equipment to cut and release a blues album. That's like saying Mick would organize and headline a blues festival in 1992 or play a set of old blues songs at the White House for black history month in front of the first black president of the United States. Face it. The guy is way too much focused on chasing trends to ever do that. Just ask Keith.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 6, 2019 18:14

Rocky you have a point but I sincerely think that over the years Mick's heart was more into working with the Dust Bros and putting SuperHeavy together than getting street cred as a blues artist/curator...

Said differently : B&L happened by accident (the Stones hit a creative roadblock) and Jagger probably used it to throw a "nostalgia bone" at Keef, as in "he's got his toy. he'll play nice with me for a few years now". Very diplomatic...

The Obama thing happened out of respect for #44 and obviously he wasn't going to play "Miracle Worker" at that one. >grinning smiley<
And putting one blues song in a comp or at the end of a B-side is not exactly a statement from which one wants to be identified musically...

Date: November 6, 2019 18:19

z
DandelionPowderman
dcba

Last or latest? winking smiley

How many covers were there on WS, btw, 4 or 5?

Date: November 6, 2019 18:23

<Said differently : B&L happened by accident (the Stones hit a creative roadblock) and Jagger probably used it to throw a "nostalgia bone" at Keef, as in "he's got his toy. he'll play nice with me for a few years now". Very diplomatic>

And when he tried to get Keith to participate on Gotta Get A Grip and England Lost it was all forgotten...

Posted by: z ()
Date: November 6, 2019 18:25

Latest, latest... Sorry.

Date: November 6, 2019 18:27

I could be way off, of course, but I suspect Mick is omnivorous when it comes to devouring music. It's all about what moves him at the moment. He feeds off energy whether musical, sexual, adulation, or chemical.

Date: November 6, 2019 18:34

Rocky Dijon
I could be way off, of course, but I suspect Mick is omnivorous when it comes to devouring music. It's all about what moves him at the moment. He feeds off energy whether musical, sexual, adulation, or chemical.

Not philosophical? Well, as long as he's satisfied...

Date: November 6, 2019 19:03

DandelionPowderman
z
DandelionPowderman
dcba

I think just 3; well if you count "Molly" then 4.

Date: November 6, 2019 19:09

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
z
DandelionPowderman
dcba

I think just 3; well if you count "Molly" then 4.

Use Me
Think
I've Been Lonely For So Long
Handsome Molly

Always thought there was one more, but maybe not...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-06 20:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 6, 2019 20:01

You might be thinking of "Everybody Knows About My Good Thing" which was a B-side to one of the singles. That's from the 1992 blues set with Gary Moore.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 6, 2019 21:26

DandelionPowderman
... 4 covers
Use Me
Think
Handsome Molly

I love the album WS, but I would like it better without the first 3 covers on it. Handsome Molly can stay, is great with its trad irish sound, like Long Black Veil or Wild Colonial Boy.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 9, 2019 15:16

DandelionPowderman
Rocky Dijon

Not philosophical? Well, as long as he's satisfied...

thumbs up

Date: November 9, 2019 15:21

LeonidP
DandelionPowderman
... 4 covers
Use Me
Think
Handsome Molly

I love the album WS, but I would like it better without the first 3 covers on it. Handsome Molly can stay, is great with its trad irish sound, like Long Black Veil or Wild Colonial Boy.

Agree 100%. Covers are always a great addition to any album or set. But on WS I thought the choice, or execution of covers was un-inspired. I very much believe that those were producer suggestions. "Oh, I always wanted to hear Jagger do "Use Me". Take those 3 covers off, and throw a Jagger B-side in there.

Date: November 9, 2019 18:26

You mean like this one (for which the version with Mick's vocal exists):

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 9, 2019 20:06

Rocky Dijon
You mean like this one (for which the version with Mick's vocal exists):

[www.youtube.com]

Absolutely

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 10, 2019 09:51

Hairball
Thanks kovach, great/sad article.

I've told a longer version of this story here before, but here's the short version: I grew up with Les Butler in Santa Monica.
As his sister says in the article, Les (as we knew him) "loved music, surfing, skateboarding, bike riding and smoking pot."

“They (Red Devils) were edgy, rocking and grooving" - Rick Rubin

“Oh man, they were quite an outfit to be reckoned with" - Billy Gibbons

“We went out for 120 days straight and there were all kinds of illegal things going on – drugs, fights, hookers, cops, jail, you name it.
One of us was bound to end up dead. Lester had actually clinically died four times in previous years" - Bill Bateman

“It got to the point where Lester was doing crack at every town we went through,”- Jonny Ray Bartel

I can only add that he earned a reputation well before joining the Red Devils.
And pardon for speaking ill of the dead, but he became sort of a shady scoundrel, especially when he started dealing coke.

Jagger and the Red Devils cut 13 tracks that day, scorching covers of vintage blues tracks and all but one of them still officially unreleased.

Would be nice to see an official release, but at this point it seems doubtful...at least there's all the bootlegs.

RIP Les

Mr. H -- can u post the link where u talked about this in more detail?

plexi

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 10, 2019 09:58

Rocky Dijon
dcba

Agreed, if the Jagger-Red Devils sessions had a chance of seeing the light of day, Mick would have put one of the tracks on his solo anthology and talked to Rhino Records about releasing the entire package if the solo anthology sold well enough. Even more to the point, he could have released one of the Gary Moore tracks as a b-side to a single from WANDERING SPIRIT. And if he'd done that, he could have made the b-side available as a download with the solo anthology years later. There was as much a chance of that happening as the Stones booking sessions at an award-winning British studio renowned for its refurbished vintage equipment to cut and release a blues album. That's like saying Mick would organize and headline a blues festival in 1992 or play a set of old blues songs at the White House for black history month in front of the first black president of the United States. Face it. The guy is way too much focused on chasing trends to ever do that. Just ask Keith.

He DID put one of the tracks on his solo anthology. I was listening to Mick's session with the Red Devils on You Tube just last night and recognized it immediately from the anthology. I will look tomorrow and update this post with the title. That was a great session, as are the Devils sessions with Lester. Would have loved to have seen them, but I guess they have gotten back together with a singer from Holland. Anybody seen them, or heard them?

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-10 09:59 by timbernardis.

Date: November 10, 2019 13:06

timbernardis
Rocky Dijon
dcba

He DID put one of the tracks on his solo anthology. I was listening to Mick's session with the Red Devils on You Tube just last night and recognized it immediately from the anthology. I will look tomorrow and update this post with the title. That was a great session, as are the Devils sessions with Lester. Would have loved to have seen them, but I guess they have gotten back together with a singer from Holland. Anybody seen them, or heard them?

plexi

Mick did everything Rocky mentioned above winking smiley

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: November 10, 2019 13:47

I think they did only one tour with the replacement singer last year. Also released a live album that was only sold at the gigs.
The new singer was ok, but lacked the feel of danger Lester had.
If Mick wants to do another solo album, there would be on hell of a backup band for him. Release the blues sessions album and then tour with the Devils.

Date: November 10, 2019 18:18

timbernardis
Mr. H -- can u post the link where u talked about this in more detail?
plexi

Plexi,

Here's the one I recall Hairball sharing. There might be more as the post indicates.

[iorr.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1459
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home