Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Peter Green/Stewart/Jack Bruce, 1967
Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: November 5, 2019 19:01

Re: Peter Green/Stewart/Jack Bruce, 1967
Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: November 6, 2019 03:25

Very cool! Never heard that. Thanks for posting.

What was this released on?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 6, 2019 04:27

That was fantastic. thumbs up

Posted by: bam ()
Date: November 6, 2019 05:51

Thanks!

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: November 6, 2019 07:00

achilles77

It is on this album.
[www.discogs.com]

Date: November 6, 2019 08:47

Carnaby
achilles77

It is on this album.
[www.discogs.com]

thumbs up

Which reminds me of this great tune from 1972 ft. Rod on vocals, and some sizzling guitar: Python Lee Jackson - In a Broken Dream

Via wiki: Python Lee Jackson

"In April 1969 Bentley, Lieber and Montgomery were joined by Jamie Byrne from the Groove, and recorded three tracks in the studio with Rod Stewart as a guest vocalist. Stewart was paid a set of car seat covers for his recording session. Stewart had been brought in to sing three tracks, after Bentley informed his bandmates that he didn't think his own voice was right for them. They were recorded with (John) Peel producing "In a Broken Dream." Two other tracks, "Doin' Fine" (a version of "Cloud Nine") and "The Blues" remained unreleased until 1970 when Miki Dallon re-produced the track for his Youngblood label and released it, having bought the masters from Peel. The single was not a success on its initial release but Dallon re-released it in August 1972 to coincide with Stewart's release of "You Wear It Well", his second solo single. With Stewart more popular by then, "In a Broken Dream", rose to number three in the UK Singles Chart and No. 56 in the United States Billboard Hot 100".

*On a Stones related note, the same wiki page says drummer David Montgomery "had been due to meet with Brian Jones on the day of Jones's death to discuss a collaboration".
Whether true or not hard to say, maybe someone else knows more about it?

And finally, Rod re-recorded In a Broken Dream with John Paul Jones and David Gilmour in 1992 which is also pretty darn great, but I do prefer the original version:
Rod Stewart with David Gilmour and John Paul Jones - 1992

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: November 6, 2019 14:59

Nice. Weren’t Green and Stewart connected in Shotgun Express?

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 7, 2019 08:09

Greeny was as good as any guitar player to ever come out of England that’s for sure.
How much more of this line-up do we have recorded?
I’m almost embarrassed to say ive never heard this- If the Jeff Beck Group was the precursor to Zep this was the precursor to the JBG.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 7, 2019 10:56

Yes Peter Green was one of the very best. Drugs have a lot to answer for.

Pity Rod never got round to doing a full album of blues standards. Never too late I suppose?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 7, 2019 13:37

Yeah I was kind of impressed by this , not that I didn't know Rod could belt out the blues or Ansley pounding away at the skins , but Peter Green really spoke to me as his licks and fills really delivered quite a knockout performance . I always thought of him as a lesser to the big 3 (Beck, Clapton, and Page ) ,but here he was cooking on Greenie !

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: November 7, 2019 22:24

check this out if your unfamiliar [www.youtube.com]

Date: November 7, 2019 22:32

Captainchaos

Oh heck, blocked!
Though its had 1.4 million views.

Date: November 8, 2019 09:10

TheGreek
Yeah I was kind of impressed by this , not that I didn't know Rod could belt out the blues or Ansley pounding away at the skins , but Peter Green really spoke to me as his licks and fills really delivered quite a knockout performance . I always thought of him as a lesser to the big 3 (Beck, Clapton, and Page ) ,but here he was cooking on Greenie !

I understand what you’re saying- most fans would think of him as not quite up there with JP, Eric and Beck,I beg to differ.
Those three left the yardbirds/Mayall beginnings and went on to be in monster bands, Peter Greens monster band was Fleetwood Mac.
It’s an interesting story if anyone cares to look it up,Green and Danny Kirwan were both heavily dosed with LSD by a German cult and subsequently lost their minds.
With all due respect to Lyndsey and Stevie,on that night the world was deprived of a blues/rock tour de force.
Most fans know Greeny wrote Black Magic Woman and even though I’m not s big heavy metal fan, the Judas Priest version of Green Manalishi is damn good.
BB king once said Peter Greens tone gave him chills and the great Gary Moore played a lot of his career on a les Paul that Greeny sold him for next to nothing because he wanted him to have it.
He’s the only one of the great English guitar players I’ve never seen live.i hate that term “ bucket list” but dammit one of these days...

Posted by: Darin75 ()
Date: November 8, 2019 10:56

Great song that I’ve never heard before. I’m downloading this song as I type this.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 8, 2019 13:46

lem motlow
TheGreek

I understand what you’re saying- most fans would think of him as not quite up there with JP, Eric and Beck,I beg to differ.
Those three left the yardbirds/Mayall beginnings and went on to be in monster bands, Peter Greens monster band was Fleetwood Mac.
It’s an interesting story if anyone cares to look it up,Green and Danny Kirwan were both heavily dosed with LSD by a German cult and subsequently lost their minds.
With all due respect to Lyndsey and Stevie,on that night the world was deprived of a blues/rock tour de force.
Most fans know Greeny wrote Black Magic Woman and even though I’m not s big heavy metal fan, the Judas Priest version of Green Manalishi is damn good.
BB king once said Peter Greens tone gave him chills and the great Gary Moore played a lot of his career on a les Paul that Greeny sold him for next to nothing because he wanted him to have it.
He’s the only one of the great English guitar players I’ve never seen live.i hate that term “ bucket list” but dammit one of these days...
All so very true , and I did know about the dosing incident and also a shame about Danny Kirwan as well and I have heard recordings of him tearing it up on the Goldtop Les Paul . The dynamic in Fleetwood Mac changed dramatically with Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks .

Date: November 8, 2019 17:48

Len, I am afraid it's unlikely that Peter Green will be playing live again...or making music for that matter. For the last six years he has lived a very low key private life, fishing being one of his main pursuits!
I only saw him once. I saw him live at the Preston Guild Hall. Late 90s, I think.He didn't seem too well, his voice had certainly changed...much older in appearance too. I think it was The Splinter Band who backed him with Nigel Watson on guitar.
Very mixed feelings after. Glad to see that he was still around (just), but clearly a shadow of his former self. At least he hasn't gone down the late Danny Kirwan route (alcoholic/ homeless etc). He too was another great talent but seemed to have more personality issues than Brian Jones.

Date: November 8, 2019 18:48

One of the greatest instrumental tracks ever from '67... a slower/bluesy precursor to Black Magic Woman.
Peter Green's guitar tone and overall playing is filled with anguish and mystery and tells a story all on it's own...

John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers - The Supernatural

Date: November 10, 2019 08:27

jlowe
Len, I am afraid it's unlikely that Peter Green will be playing live again...or making music for that matter. For the last six years he has lived a very low key private life, fishing being one of his main pursuits!
I only saw him once. I saw him live at the Preston Guild Hall. Late 90s, I think.He didn't seem too well, his voice had certainly changed...much older in appearance too. I think it was The Splinter Band who backed him with Nigel Watson on guitar.
Very mixed feelings after. Glad to see that he was still around (just), but clearly a shadow of his former self. At least he hasn't gone down the late Danny Kirwan route (alcoholic/ homeless etc). He too was another great talent but seemed to have more personality issues than Brian Jones.

Thanks jlowe,your take on this is pretty much what I’ve understood to be the case from everyone I’ve talked to in person or online.
I’ve seen a lot but like many people my age I just missed by a couple of years,Hendrix,Mick Taylor with the Stones,The Doors etc
I caught lightning in a bottle once with Mick Taylor on what was a Bluesbreakers reunion tour in 1982.
MT,Mayall,John McVie and Colin Allen on drums.We’ve all seen Mayall with some version of the Bluesbreakers but this was one of those old vinyl albums come to life.
It was fckng crazy, Taylor is standing there in this crisp white blazer jacket, he’s still thin and has the exact hair and everything. Exactly like when he was in the Stones and he’s destroying the place.
There are some you tube videos but it’s not even the same universe as being there.
I was hoping for something similar with Peter Green,I followed as best I could in the pre-internet days and in the 2000s and beyond To no avail.
Your show sounds like some of the ones I saw of old blues legends at the end of their career,sometimes just being in the room with them is pretty damn great.Oh well...

Date: November 10, 2019 09:23

I also saw one of those Mick Taylor/Bluesbreakers reunion shows Lem in 1982 at the Roxy in L.A. - capacity 500.
My older brother and I were front center, and with the stage only being about 3 ft high, it felt like we were actually on stage with the band.
I remember John McVie was barefoot with a few empty beer bottles on the floor around him on the cramped stage, and thought for sure he'd eventually step on one!
But with the beer bottle gods on his side, it was as if his feet had eyes as he never did step on any of them!

As for Mick Taylor, my jaw was dropping for probably the entire show as it was so incredibly good.
That night will always rank up there amongst the best live music experiences I've ever witnessed.

Wish I could have seen Peter Green in his prime, or in a similar situation to the Bluesbreakers reunion...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-10 09:24 by Hairball.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: November 12, 2019 06:13

TheGreek
All so very true , and I did know about the dosing incident and also a shame about Danny Kirwan as well and I have heard recordings of him tearing it up on the Goldtop Les Paul . The dynamic in Fleetwood Mac changed dramatically with Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks .

Hell, the dynamic of the band changed dramatically when Bob Welch joined...

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: November 29, 2019 22:12

Captainchaos

The ban is gone yEEEAAAHHH!!!!! grab a beer smoke and watch this. Kirwan and Green = Taylor & Richards. Slightly dif vibe but what a duo

great great 45 min montage of live Mac clips, grab it while you can

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: November 30, 2019 04:28

Love Bruce bass lines, what a marvel

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: footlooseman ()
Date: December 7, 2019 04:36

Thanks for posting

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home