Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Rolling Stones album art
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 7, 2020 05:12

>First off, it wasn't the "first annual" since it was the first one ie the
>inaugural,

I quoted directly off something official about the "first annual" in the title. It was called First Annual...irrelevant if there was ever an actual 2nd Annual. That happens a lot I have found especially with music festivals. Know how to end up with a small fortune in the music business? Start with a large fortune. Most people simply go broke and forget about future opportunities to lose more money.

But the fact remains those documents are full of holes, I pointed out at least two other instances above. But...I guess people are kool with the misinformation. Personally, when I read a blatant error in the first sentence, I disregard the rest because if they cannot get simple truths correct, the rest is very suspect.

But I guess that's just me.

jb

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: February 12, 2020 01:02

One more:
Nº 2 + 12 x 5

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 14, 2020 03:40

jbwelda
>First off, it wasn't the "first annual" since it was the first one ie the
>inaugural,

I quoted directly off something official about the "first annual" in the title. It was called First Annual...irrelevant if there was ever an actual 2nd Annual. That happens a lot I have found especially with music festivals. Know how to end up with a small fortune in the music business? Start with a large fortune. Most people simply go broke and forget about future opportunities to lose more money.

But the fact remains those documents are full of holes, I pointed out at least two other instances above. But...I guess people are kool with the misinformation. Personally, when I read a blatant error in the first sentence, I disregard the rest because if they cannot get simple truths correct, the rest is very suspect.

But I guess that's just me.

jb

I wasn't saying YOU were wrong, just that the title of it that they called it was - it never was a first annual since it was the first one.

Whatever the deal, the Stones went on at 4AM or whatever to hardly anyone and it was cold out.

Date: February 14, 2020 06:40

Yep, and that was the prelude to Altamont. Not a great week, but I guess they did get a couple songs down in Mussel Shoals in the meantime.

It is funny how many 1st annuals there are without 2nd annuals!

jb

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: April 16, 2020 17:10

just found this and wow thanks a million

Date: April 18, 2020 21:04

Read about DIRTY WORK and STEEL WHEELS.

That bit about DIRTY WORK. Wow. What a horror. It truly represents what's inside - a mess. And then those morons didn't know where the title came from? WTF - it's from the song, dumbasses!

The group photo that's in black and white, that should've been the LP cover, and certainly a much better title. But instead we got that vomitation of Skittles cover.

STEEL WHEELS though... what a load of tripe. That is such puff it's almost sickening.

After UNDERCOVER their LP covers are horrific. They haven't had one good once since 1983 (unless you count REWIND, which is hilarious, or FORTY LICKS, which is interesting at least, as in, at least it's not bad).

As boring as BRIDGES TO BABYLON's cover is, the story behind it is fantastic.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 11, 2020 20:50

Three more album art features just published:

- Blue & Lonesome
- Love You Live
- Tattoo You

Bjornulf

Date: May 13, 2020 22:32

The last bit of BLUE AND LONESOME showing various album and single covers someone was being cute on purpose because it shows the rapper cover of JUMP BACK instead of the actual cover.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: May 14, 2020 20:02

The Bridges story was great! Made the album instantly more interesting.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: May 14, 2020 20:47

can't believe I missed this thread.. love it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-14 20:51 by snoopy2.

Date: May 14, 2020 21:08

Some great details in some of these, like the handwriting on LOVE YOU LIVE isn't Mick Jagger but Warhol’s assistant, Vincent Fremont.

Date: May 15, 2020 14:11

If these stories were published as a book, I'd buy it immediately.

Date: May 15, 2020 18:49

Despite all the obvious errors, you would buy a book of this?

That's strange.

jb

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 15, 2020 19:04

This poster mostly copied the Exile material from my own work (some would say plagiarized). It was copied from an older online version and there are numerous mistakes and omissions.

I am currently working on a book/ article. I have more interesting info and pics! I am hoping to publish Exile On 42nd Street in 2022.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-24 18:46 by schillid.

Date: May 15, 2020 20:03

schillid
This poster mostly copied the Exile material from my own work (some would say plagiarized). It was copied from an older online version and there are numerous mistakes and omissions.

I am currently working on a book/ article. I have more interesting info and pics! I am hoping to publish Exile On 42nd Street in 2022.

Perhaps a thread simply for the corrections should be started.

Date: May 16, 2020 02:36

jbwelda
Despite all the obvious errors, you would buy a book of this?

That's strange.

jb
Preferably without the errors. But a book concentrating on the sleeves with good photos and outtakes of the photo sessions would be very nice.

Date: May 16, 2020 03:19

Oh I totally agree with you on that, even with the few misprints I have seen, the rest of it is very interesting, if not sometimes very well researched.

jb

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 16, 2020 15:34

schillid

thumbs up

Date: May 16, 2020 18:50

I still feel it's one one of the biggest shames in Rolling Stones album history they used that front view of a poorly mutilated male joke "lion" on "Bridges to Babylon". I wonder if this was to avoid the "parental advisory" sticker or what.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 11, 2020 23:40

Exile On Main St. Album art - [iorr.org]:

There's a mistake in the 3rd picture from above (with the caption: 'The players from top left clockwise') - in the middle it's not a picture of Jeff Webb, but of Steve Jobs from Apple -- [www.YouTube.com] - (Pos. 0:55, 1:39).

Date: June 13, 2020 14:48

A small detail, but one that at least I’d be interested in is what fonts were used on those album covers’ artworks.

Date: June 15, 2020 19:35

schillid

Is it 42nd Street because of Til' The Next Goodbye?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 15, 2020 21:59

padre69
A small detail, but one that at least I’d be interested in is what fonts were used on those album covers’ artworks.

Try this one to start with...... [iorr.org]

Date: June 20, 2020 15:40

Two more album art pages published today:

Black And Blue
Voodoo Lounge

The Rolling Stones album art

Bjornulf

Date: June 21, 2020 19:49

Some of the language is a bit redundant.

At the end of the BLACK AND BLUE page, it says "Or, if you prefer it is a song about Carly Simon, who rumors says
may or may not have stopped by Montauk when she may or may not have had an affair with
Jagger."

Look up the word may:

May - expressing possibility

The word just by itself implies the opposite is possible, just like "might".

Bob: It might happen.
Jim: But it might not happen.
Bob: I just said that.
Jim: No you didn't. You said it might happen.

SHAKE MY DAMN HEAD.

Date: June 21, 2020 19:49

The songs on BLACK AND BLUE apparently were not edited to fit the LP based on the recording notes.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: July 30, 2020 20:35

I just noticed something wrong in the Ya-ya's post.

It's indeed not Dominique Tarlé, but one of the cook in Nellcote.

HMN

Date: December 1, 2020 20:00

GRRR! album art story just published.

Bjornulf

Date: January 24, 2021 10:58

Compilations added.

[iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-24 10:59 by bv.

Date: January 30, 2021 15:39

Honk added.

The Rolling Stones Album Art

Bjornulf

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1814
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home