Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Two questions for Bill Wyman
Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: November 5, 2019 10:29

Being the archivist of the groug, Bill Wyman might be the most interesting band member to ask quastions about the early years of the Rolling Stones. Unfortunately, some time ago I learned too late that he was at Zurich which is not too far from me, and the People were allowed to ask him some questions. Apart from asking him which early concert recordings from the Brian Jones and Mick Taylor era are still in the vaults I would have liked to ask him to questions that seem to be very personal but they are interesting in the context of the history of the band:

1 In the early years I guess you never knew what the band would be achieving. But at which point did you break financially even in the sense that you could live a middle-class life by your income from the Rolling Stones?

2 Many band members and solo artists got into problems with alcohol abuse. As much as the Rolling Stones were related with drug problems, alcohol obviously was never one of them. How did the vband escape heavy drinking and alcoholism?

Re: Two questions for Bill Wyman
Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: November 5, 2019 11:12

saltoftheearth
As much as the Rolling Stones were related with drug problems, alcohol obviously was never one of them. How did the vband escape heavy drinking and alcoholism?

What!?

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 5, 2019 11:16

Hm...how did Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, Mick Taylor (and Charlie Watts in eighties) escape heavy drinking? I will go jogging now and think about that question.
On the financial question: It is only speculation, but the Stones became successful rather fast, and I assume that they started to live like rockstars in 1966/67. Then they had a lot of money and time to spend it.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 5, 2019 11:25

Many drugs should not be combined with (lots of) alcohol, it's dangerous and besides....one doesn't need it. But look what happened with Keith and Ron when they quit the heavy drugs in the 80s - alcohol got completely out of hand

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-05 13:54 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: November 5, 2019 12:59

As much as the Rolling Stones were related with drug problems, alcohol obviously was never one of them.

No problem at all, hmm? Two bottles of vodka, three bottles of wine, a crate of beer plus ... What did Ronnie write in his autobiography?

d.f

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 5, 2019 13:13

Read the Keith Richards book "Life". Both questions are clearly covered there.

Bjornulf

Date: November 5, 2019 13:54

bv
Read the Keith Richards book "Life". Both questions are clearly covered there.
thumbs up

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 5, 2019 16:37

Here is a stab at Question 1. Whilst not word for word, it summarises the situation Bill found himself in 1971 (Stone Alone book).

In 1970/71 The Stones (minus Mick T) found themselves each with tax debts of £100k. Their income (less tax) was insufficient to quickly pay the amount off. Rather than do a deal with the Authorities they went for tax exile (though not in itself a cheap option). Eventually some 6 or so years later the debts were settled but apparantly for a much lower amount.

In March 1971 Bill states he owned two houses , two cars and had about £1k in the Bank. This after eight years 'at the top'. Mick and Keith with their composers royalties would have been better off, but one assumes their lifestyles (compared to Bill's) would have eaten into the difference. In comparison to most people they were wealthy then, despite the tax situation. Substantial income via the Klein 20 year royalty payment plan was ongoing, the 1972 ABKCO settlement gave them each six figure sums. And of course their record sales and royalty rates in the 70's and 80s were substantially better than in the 60s.

Well off? It's a relative term of course. In 1968 Bill acquired Gedding Hall in Suffolk, UK which is a very impressive country pile. Value today? Could be £15 million plus. Of course Bill tells us in his book that he paid £48k in 1968 for it but that £47k. was mortgage!
I would say by the end of the sixties, they were pretty well off, with impressive property investments but not much ready cash. Also, even Bill had a lifestyle that would require a healthy income.
It was probably not until 1993 that careful Bill felt he was financially able to bid farewell and go it alone.

About 10 or so years ago, he said that Stones income wasn't enough to live on, hence the tours with the Rythmn Kings. Not sure I totally buy into that, I think he actually liked the opportunity to perform live the sort of music he really loves.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 5, 2019 16:58

1. What was the final tally on your chicks?

2. Can you dance?

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: November 5, 2019 17:21

Do you wish you had stayed on for 2 more tours?
What other songs should you have received writing credits?

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 5, 2019 19:49

Charlie struggled with drinking at one point, as I understand it...as did Ronnie...Ronnie quite publicly.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 5, 2019 19:58

floodonthepage
Charlie struggled with drinking at one point, as I understand it...as did Ronnie...Ronnie quite publicly.

Has Keith ever " struggled with drinking..." ?
Or just drank?

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 5, 2019 20:30

jlowe
floodonthepage

Has Keith ever " struggled with drinking..." ?
Or just drank?

??? Uh. Why is that in "quotes" when I was writing about Charlie?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-05 20:32 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 5, 2019 21:16

jlowe
About 10 or so years ago, he said that Stones income wasn't enough to live on, hence the tours with the Rythmn Kings. Not sure I totally buy into that, I think he actually liked the opportunity to perform live the sort of music he really loves.

I don't think the Rhythm Kings was his ticket to financial prosperity. Sticky Fingers, that's another story. It's been around for close to 30 years. Any restaurant lasting that long has got to be turning a nice profit. Plus we don't know what other kinds of private investments Bill has. In his book Bill says he and Charlie were broke in 1969, while Mick and Keith were rolling in royalties. Thus the imperative to get back on the road, where there was an equitable split on the dough.

1. Bill, give us your perspective on Brian falling apart. Give us examples of Brian being a complete jerk to you and the other band members. (Other than he took Keith's piece of chicken, and had a secret five pound extra agreement).

2. Bill, do you think the rest of the band understood, and appreciated your contribution? (And did you play that jazzy organ outro on JJF?)

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 5, 2019 22:11

struggling with alcohol should never be considered a problem.

having no alcohol, now thats a problem.

i dont have a drink problem, never have, never abused it either.

i drink, get drunk, fall down, no problem.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 5, 2019 23:41

jlowe

That's my take on it, plus the fact that I know for sure that the folk in the Rhythm Kings really enjoy their time on the road together. It's a no brainer - play the music you enjoy, with people who's company you enjoy, to crowds who enjoy it, play it well, and make a bit of pocket money.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 6, 2019 00:00

What was the best perks being in The Stones …… ???????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 6, 2019 00:52

What was your favorite recording session?
What do you feel was your biggest contribution to the band?

Get him talking about himself and the music.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 6, 2019 01:13

Rockman wrote:"What was the best perks being in The Stones …… ???????"

Hehehehehe!

As usual, Rockman gettin' the best outta us all! But tell me Rocky, I didnae get the one about the One Way Road and the Spider hole? There are Three tiny holes (well two really, and the third's pretty large I'd say). smileys with beer

Date: November 6, 2019 01:27

One way Street ... spider hole !!!!

Heck where was that one ?? ... I musta been typing in my sleep ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 6, 2019 01:28

Rockman

Why, man?

Date: November 6, 2019 01:30

AHHHHHHHHHHH ... good one Nikkei .... hhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 6, 2019 01:50

"What are you listening to now" on saturday Rocky! Easy to look up as it is a Little slow here this november,,, hey Lloyd?? Jumpin' Jack Torrance, Always there when ya need a good quote...smileys with beer

Date: November 6, 2019 01:57

aaawwww ....

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-06 08:26 by Rockman.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: November 6, 2019 04:27

I would ask him (very gently) "When did you first discover or develop a fear of flying?"....and "How long before you actually left the band had you been seriously considering it?"....and if I had a third bonus question..."Do you feel the Stones sound has changed for the better or worse due to your departure?" (and then elaborate on the answer). Maybe in the next book?!..

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 6, 2019 08:44

Keith surely has a problem with alcohol. His inability to not have that comfort blanket of a vodka and orange during 90’s interviews is testament to that. Him taking a break from alcohol recently is also rather telling. We certainly saw a healthier Keith on stage. I hope he keeps it up, personally.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: November 6, 2019 10:13

jlowe
Here is a stab at Question 1. Whilst not word for word, it summarises the situation Bill found himself in 1971 (Stone Alone book).

In 1970/71 The Stones (minus Mick T) found themselves each with tax debts of £100k. Their income (less tax) was insufficient to quickly pay the amount off. Rather than do a deal with the Authorities they went for tax exile (though not in itself a cheap option). Eventually some 6 or so years later the debts were settled but apparantly for a much lower amount.

In March 1971 Bill states he owned two houses , two cars and had about £1k in the Bank. This after eight years 'at the top'. Mick and Keith with their composers royalties would have been better off, but one assumes their lifestyles (compared to Bill's) would have eaten into the difference. In comparison to most people they were wealthy then, despite the tax situation. Substantial income via the Klein 20 year royalty payment plan was ongoing, the 1972 ABKCO settlement gave them each six figure sums. And of course their record sales and royalty rates in the 70's and 80s were substantially better than in the 60s.

Well off? It's a relative term of course. In 1968 Bill acquired Gedding Hall in Suffolk, UK which is a very impressive country pile. Value today? Could be £15 million plus. Of course Bill tells us in his book that he paid £48k in 1968 for it but that £47k. was mortgage!
I would say by the end of the sixties, they were pretty well off, with impressive property investments but not much ready cash. Also, even Bill had a lifestyle that would require a healthy income.
It was probably not until 1993 that careful Bill felt he was financially able to bid farewell and go it alone.

Perhaps you misunderstood my first question. I read the book and know what Bill said about the situation in the early 1970s. But it was not a general question about Bill's financial situation.

But given the critical position of an emerging rock musician in the 1960s where you never knew if your next single would click and you could never be sure if you'd fall into obscurity after the next album (Gerry and the Pacemakers come to mind who had a string of hits in the 1960s but later on ran out of success) I would only be interested at which point in 1963 through 1965 Bill (as a non-writer who had no income from royalties) or Charlie were in a financial situation to live the life they could have been living in their 'normal' profession.

It is an interesting point thinking about when they 'broke even'. I am very well aware that later on the became quite wealthy. I mean, owning two houses , two cars and having about £1k in the bank is not exactly leading a poor man's life, is it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-06 10:16 by saltoftheearth.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 6, 2019 10:38

Rockman

This made me perk up

Rod

Date: November 6, 2019 11:36

Heck Rod … maybe ya should lay down and grip your monkey

ROCKMAN

Date: November 6, 2019 18:27

They never had problems with drugs or alcohol.
Only with policemen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1813
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home