Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Earliest group photo
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 5, 2019 03:50

Studio 51 - Great Newport Street London -- Sunday 14 April 1963 …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 5, 2019 03:57

Elmo, and all,
FWIW, I recently acquired a framed, signed photo of Philip Townsend, similar to the 3rd one in your post and others, the "feather duster" pic. cool smiley Plus a friend from IORR years ago gave me a head shot of Mick on harmonica dated '63 by "Phil Bud."

This topic, very enjoyable.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 5, 2019 04:22

Rockman

From Bill Wyman - Rolling With The Stones ….. page 50

I'd forgotten that the May 4th gig was associated with the News of The World (aka News of the screws) given the events of a mere 4 years later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: November 5, 2019 05:46

Studio 51 - Great Newport Street London -- Sunday 14 April 1963 …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 5, 2019 06:09

CaptainCorella
Rockman

From Bill Wyman - Rolling With The Stones ….. page 50

I'd forgotten that the May 4th gig was associated with the News of The World (aka News of the screws) given the events of a mere 4 years later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill gets the date wrong for this gig.
It actually took place on May 11.

Disc May 4, 1963:

Disc May 18, 1963:

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: November 5, 2019 11:16

Rockman

I love how half the audience isn't even facing the stage!

Date: November 5, 2019 11:21

FrogSugar

In those olden days you went to a club to dance (the primary purpose of which was of course to find someone to pair up with), and not to stand and watch the band.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 5, 2019 13:33

Most fascinating to see the metamorphisis or natural growth from the images posted here where they start out as such nice clean cut lads/chaps who slowly evolved in the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World . The growth is stunning to see in the images , yet at the same time it is as natural as drawing breath .

Date: November 5, 2019 13:53

What is fascinating to see, is the story that we all know: how Brian is the leader very early on. You can see Mick as confident but definitely still at sea; and Keith, very much a loveable awkward sidekick.
With each photograph there is way more assurance in Mick and especially Keith.

Posted by: masoudi ()
Date: November 6, 2019 00:35

Thanks Deltics for those pics I had seen them but not in a long time. I think we can agree those are the earliest group photos. Does Rockman have any input on when he thinks those pics were taken. It is so interesting looking at those pictures and thinking about where we are at now 56/57 years later. It was just an incredible time and just young boys creating something that they could never have imagined would still be loved my millions. I find those early pics so captivating. Pure musical innocence before it all changed!

I don't know when or where these were taken but Keith is clearly playing his Gallotone Valencia guitar which he replaced in February '63.
If there's anything of truth in the original description of them being the Stones' first gig at the Marquee then it could be that they're from the Marquee on January 17, 1963 which was the first time that the final line up played at the Marquee.
This is pure speculation on my behalf but, I think, food for thought.
Photos taken on stage by Stu?

Date: November 6, 2019 01:23

No masoudi I cant add any more
to what Deltics and yourself have added ….

Possibly Marquee... There must be shots
inside Marquee and some of those other clubs
in the sixties that show stage ..décor etc inside for maybe more clues ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 6, 2019 07:44

CaptainCorella
FrogSugar

In those olden days you went to a club to dance (the primary purpose of which was of course to find someone to pair up with), and not to stand and watch the band.

That's so true. You'd talk about "going out dancing" on a Saturday night, and who you danced to was pretty irrelevant.

Posted by: masoudi ()
Date: November 6, 2019 08:47

From timeisonourside.com
October 27, 1962: The Rolling Stones record demos of three songs at Curly Clayton Sound Studios,
London.

More Detective work more someone! Are these songs in circulation and what were they? We all have the IBC 63 demos but first I knew about 62 demos. Any ideas?

Date: November 6, 2019 09:37

You Cant Judge a Book (By Looking at The Cover)
Soon Forgotten
Close Together

Acetate only owned by private collector ….

Part of You Cant Judge A Book was played on BBC radio ……

Listen --- [www.youtube.com]

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-06 19:10 by Rockman.

Date: November 6, 2019 10:55

Rockman
You Cant Judge a Book (By Looking at The Cover)
Soon Forgotten
Close Together

Acetate only owned by private collector ….

Part on the You Cant Judge A Book was played on BBC radio ……

Listen --- [www.youtube.com]

Actually..... WATCH and listen. There are some really great old photos in there - several obviously in the competition for "earliest".

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 6, 2019 13:20

masoudi

October 27, 1962: The Rolling Stones record demos of three songs at Curly Clayton Sound Studios, London.

Bootleg-CDs: [dbboots.com] .

Stones Recording Sessions 1962-2019: [StonesSessions.com] - (Appendix - Session List). Other sources: [NZentgraf.de] , [Aeppli.ch] (PDF).

Date: November 6, 2019 19:40

The Rolling Stones Complete Recording Sessions -- Martin Elliot ….

ROCKMAN

Date: November 6, 2019 20:02

Good ole Mike Jagger...

Date: November 6, 2019 23:18

Alexis Korner ---------------------------- Dick Heckstall-Smith ------------------------------- Cyril Daivies ---

Marquee Club - Photo John "Hoppy" Hopkins
Circa 1962 ?????

ROCKMAN

Date: November 6, 2019 23:29

Dick Heckstall-Smith ----------Cyril Davies--------------------- Jack Bruce ---

Marquee Club 1962 ?

ROCKMAN

Date: November 6, 2019 23:42

May 1962, Marquee.

Dave Stevens, Dick Heckstall Smith, Alexis Korner, Jack Bruce, Mick Jagger, Cyril Davies, Charlie Watts (hidden)

Charlie Watts and Cyril Davies

Date: November 6, 2019 23:46

Rockman

Alexis Korner ---------------------------- Dick Heckstall-Smith ------------------------------- Cyril Daivies ---

Marquee Club - Photo John "Hoppy" Hopkins
Circa 1962 ?????

Art Theman extreme right. Ginger Baker at back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-06 23:49 by Deltics.

Date: November 6, 2019 23:58

… thanks deltics ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: November 7, 2019 15:01

Late August 1962, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Brian Jones moved into a flat at 102 Edith Grove, Chelsea (more on that later on). In August-September the Rolling Stones played only a couple of gigs, but somehow they managed to pay for an hour's studio time at Curly Clayton's Sound Studio near Arsenal football ground, in Highbury, north London. Jazz guitarist Curly Clayton produced the demo sessions, held on October 27, 1962. Three tracks were recorded: Muddy Waters' "Soon Forgotten" (written by James Oden), Jimmy Reed's "Close Together", and "You Can't Judge A Book By The Cover", a Willie Dixon song made into a hit by Bo Diddley.

The tracks were recorded by a Stones line-up which included Mick Jagger, Brian Jones, Keith Richards, Ian Stewart and Tony Chapman. No bass guitar, because Dick Taylor (who formed the Pretty Things later on) had had enough, and went back to college. The spartan studio facilities (remember, it was only 1962!) provided just one microphone in the middle of a small room; the band had to balance the sound by moving the instruments around. Mick Jagger asked for the piano to be 'turned up', but it could not be moved; it was nailed to the wall, and Stu's playing could hardly be heard.

A snippet of "You Can't Judge A Book By The Cover" was broadcast on Simon Bates' BBC Radio One programme when he interviewed an enthusiast who in April 1988 had purchased an acetate of these three historic recordings. Mick Jagger's enunciation was distinctly non-British and leered in true Willie Dixon style. His vocals were the most distinctive instrument on the tape.

The recordings were sent to Neville Skrimshire, a jazz guitarist who also worked at EMI Records, who rejected them. Tony Chapman then sent the tape to someone he knew at Decca, who responded: "It's a great band, but you'll never get anywhere with that singer".

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: November 7, 2019 15:33

Date: November 8, 2019 14:51

Deltics
May 1962, Marquee.

Dave Stevens, Dick Heckstall Smith, Alexis Korner, Jack Bruce, Mick Jagger, Cyril Davies, Charlie Watts (hidden)

Really interesting that there is no Brian on "Close Together".

Date: November 8, 2019 16:29

Brian is named first on Close Together smiling smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 9, 2019 19:18

Irix
masoudi

Perhaps the ones taken by Philip Townsend outside Edith Grove?

This should be one of them:

[TheArtsDesk.com]

- (by Philip Townsend, Stones first photo session, Edith Grove, London, June 1963)

Another take:

Date: November 10, 2019 14:36

DandelionPowderman
Brian is named first on Close Together smiling smiley

I usually am on IORR with my phone, and I think I often don't even see the entire posts. Or the print is so small. I need some kind of Rolling Stone clause implemented with my carrier.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: November 10, 2019 22:36

I have a conflict with some of the dates listed in Bill's book. The
News of The World gig was on May 11th not May 4th I see people on the
site have already mentioned that the date (May 4th)is incorrect. This gig
(Battersea Park) was the first gig (May 11th) that Oldham & Easton booked for the Stones after signing them on May 9th.(Brian Jones doing the signing).
The bigger question is the first gig with both Bill & Charlie playing
in the band. Bill list it as Jan. 12th 1963 at the Ealing Jazz Club. But
in what I have researched I found they were playing The SandoverHall on
Jan. 12th with Tony Chapman on drums. Chapman in an interview I did with him
told me he quit the Stones after the Sandover Hall gig and that he was not fired. He was told (by phone) by Stu, that he Chapman needed to miss the next couple of gigs (Flamingo and The Marquee Club) because the club owners didn't like his drumming, and that Chapman could rejoin the band following those gigs. Chapman told me he told Stu either I'm in the band or I'm out "So piss off".
Also another problem was Alexis Korner had the Ealing club shows up till the Jan. 19th when it was announced (in the papers) The Stones would be taking over at the Ealing Club on the 26th. Up until then the Stones were playing the Sandover Hall on Saturdays So the best I can figure Charlie and Bill played the Marquee Club on the 17th as their first gig with the band. BTW Charlie was still in and drumming for Blues By Six. Charlie's last gig with BB6 was Feb. 7th at the Harringay Jazz Club (according to Brian Knight who I interviewed) Making Charlie (although he had been playing with the Stones already) an official band member (I'm in the band for good) after Feb 7th.
Getting 1962 & early 1963 Rolling Stones history correct is a really big
quest.
BTW as for the subject line (Earliest group photo) I have a lead on two people that may have photos of the Stones (ON STAGE live) in 1962 with a different drummer & bass player. That would be an amazing find. More on that later, I hope.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1721
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home