Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Cool Record / Vinyl Shops in London?
Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: November 2, 2019 16:58

A buddy is going to London this week, and he asked me to suggest some cool record shops.

Might the London contingency here suggest a few places. He's a Stones, Stone Roses, Primal Scream, and Ride fan.

Thanks!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Re: OT: Cool Record / Vinyl Shops in London?
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 2, 2019 17:29

stonesstein
A buddy is going to London this week, and he asked me to suggest some cool record shops.

Might the London contingency here suggest a few places. He's a Stones, Stone Roses, Primal Scream, and Ride fan.

Thanks!

tell him to go to Berwick Street (and see what's left of all those glorious record stores) (Sister Ray's still alive although much smaller than before…)

btw: Berwick Street is on the cover of Oasis' album '(What's the Story) Morning Glory?'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-02 17:30 by slewan.

Date: November 2, 2019 17:52

The two shops in Soho.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 2, 2019 17:57

Berwick Street...was going to say the same. Spent alot of time and money in the record stores there back in the day.
And there used to be a great fish and chips place on Berwick simply called Fish and Chips - sort of a hole in the wall no frills joint.
Just did a google map search and "walked" up and down Berwick Street - so much has changed - it's starting to look a bit trendy/fancy. And sadly looks like Fish and Chips is gone.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: November 3, 2019 16:52

Last time I was in London, I found some nice stalls at Portobello, on Saturday and a nice fair, on Sunday morning. Records are far cheaper than in Berwick St. and, above all, you find more interesting items. In Berwick St. (two stores) I was offered the latest vinyl bootlegs and some standard vinyl. Bye, Luca

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: November 3, 2019 19:10

Reckless records on Berwick St is awesome. Racks are packed, I’d found some nice stuff for a pound the other week too. Stock arriving all the time and some outrageous prices alongside the affordable bits.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 3, 2019 22:14

Rough Trade, both East and West (but especially East).

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 3, 2019 22:27

due ta good ole English weather … they are all cool

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 3, 2019 22:36

There also used to be a reggae record shop in a basement on Berwick Street - you had to go down a steep set of stairs to get to it (could have been part of a bigger record store maybe, can't recall).
On one trip to London I remember going down there and two guys with long dreadlocks playing records and burning incense (probably to cover up the hash smell ha). I ended up splurging on quite a few of 7" vinyl singles!

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: November 4, 2019 15:19

Music & Video Exchange, 38 Notting Hill Gate. Not far from Portobello Road if you're planning to go there. They have another shop in Greenwich but I haven't been to that one.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 4, 2019 15:52

As an aside, I met Primal Scream's Bobbie Gilespie at and XR event in Trafalgar Square last month. Seems like a pretty decent guy.

Posted by: Ram ()
Date: November 4, 2019 19:11

For what its worth, I enjoyed buying some early British Stones vinyl at the little Eel Pie Island record shop knowing the band has a lot of history in that area.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 4, 2019 20:28

Yes there is a little museum in Twickenham about the Eel Pie scene that is probably worth a quick visit (it was closed when I passed by this weekend)

https://www.eelpiemuseum.co.uk/

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1958
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home