Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Andrew Oldham university teacher
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 31, 2019 20:46

An article yesterday on the CBC British Columbia website says that ALO will start teaching a University course on the evolution of pop culture from 1954 to 1984 at Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops BC. Kamloops is about 4 hours from Vancouver in the BC interior. Says he has been living between Bogota Columbia and Vancouver since 2003 and has been to the BC interior regularly since he and a business partner spend time in the area. Would be cool to pick his brain about the Stones.
Unfortunately I'm not computer literate so I don't know how to link the page but I'm sure someone here can!

Re: Andrew Oldham university teacher
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 31, 2019 20:57

[celebrityaccess.com]

[www.kamloopsthisweek.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-31 20:59 by Deltics.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: November 1, 2019 02:29

Would you let your daughter (or grand-daughter) attend a class taught by the manager of a Rolling Stone?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 1, 2019 03:13

Saw Andrew in Vancouver a few years ago at the Rio Theatre do an intro for CHarlie Is My Darling. It was before it was officially released, so it was a fairly pixilated web version of the video.

Fantastic seeing him in person. He's not exactly a Mick enthusiast.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 1, 2019 07:33

Love ALO interviews ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 1, 2019 11:27

Still making money out of the Rolling Stones ...
But leaving Mick, Keith and Brian in 1967 to save his own skin remains a very black page in his history/life ... he probably has his oen explanation for it, but what is it worth?

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 1, 2019 12:14

The person who posted that article is called Juliette Jagger!!! That is funny if it is her real name.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 1, 2019 12:29

georgie48
But leaving Mick, Keith and Brian in 1967 to save his own skin remains a very black page in his history/life ... he probably has his oen explanation for it, but what is it worth?

Well, he probably thought he was next in line to get busted.
He of course also had his own mental health problems which are covered, somewhat briefly in his (excellent) books. But he is selective with facts and barely mentions the business deals which have denied the Stones any, oe even part ownership of recording rights and publishing copyrights. Also, he has to take some of the blame for the Immediate label fiasco. Business man he certainly wasn't.
But for all that he is a fascinating character and I hope we get in time more information re the course content.
100% certain that Mick will not be a guest speaker. I suspect their paths haven't crossed since 1967.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 1, 2019 14:48

jlowe
georgie48

Well, he probably thought he was next in line to get busted.
He of course also had his own mental health problems which are covered, somewhat briefly in his (excellent) books. But he is selective with facts and barely mentions the business deals which have denied the Stones any, oe even part ownership of recording rights and publishing copyrights. Also, he has to take some of the blame for the Immediate label fiasco. Business man he certainly wasn't.
But for all that he is a fascinating character and I hope we get in time more information re the course content.
100% certain that Mick will not be a guest speaker. I suspect their paths haven't crossed since 1967.

I enjoyed reading his books, but at the same time, like you suggested, I felt he was quite selective with facts. He also made himself too important for the development of the Stones. When I was 16/17 and read his "lyrics" on the back of the Stones albums, my reaction was every time like "I'm not interested in that crap. The Stones' music speaks for itself". But I also know that several of my Stones loving friends were also attracted to the sensation that surrounded the band winking smiley
I wonder if Oldham ever realised that some like photographer Gered Mankovitz became a victim of being connected to him. Luckily the Stones made up for that many years later.
smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1366
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home