Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 26, 2019 01:46

This film premiered at the Toronto Film Festival but it was impossible to get a ticket. Today I was finally able to see it and I recommend it highly. An excellent tribute to the band and its members, with Martin Scorsese as a producer and on-camera clips featuring Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Eric Clapton, Van Morrison, Ronnie Hawkins (who has the best line) and others, it really showcased the band members and felt much like a love letter. I so wish I had seen them live... Why are you still reading this? Go! Go see this movie! grinning smiley

Re: OT - Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band
Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: October 26, 2019 02:08

Thank you! Excellent,I'll will see it!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 26, 2019 02:38

Ya, STG, thank you.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: October 26, 2019 02:50

I will make a point to see it. Thanks for the reminder. But I did read a couple of reviews that said it was more of a Robbie Robertson tribute than for his for former band-mates.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 26, 2019 06:33

…. Yeah looking forward ta seeing it …..

Come on Annie …. whats Ronnie Hawkins line ???….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 26, 2019 10:39

I must dig further into The Band...

I never really gave them much attention ...despite loving a lot of albums that have a lot of their input and influence.

[ EC's No Reason to Cry album for example ]

Date: October 26, 2019 17:37

Rockman

Sorry - no spoilers here! But it relates to the quality of coke available during The Last Waltz.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 26, 2019 17:51

[www.bing.com]

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: z ()
Date: October 26, 2019 18:53

Is Robbie Robertson there talking about Robbie Robertson again?

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: October 26, 2019 21:52

SomeTorontoGirl
Rockman

Sorry - no spoilers here! But it relates to the quality of coke available during The Last Waltz.
Levon talks about this in his book too. And it is freakin hilarious.

Date: October 26, 2019 22:38

drwatts
Levon talks about this in his book too. And it is freakin hilarious.

grinning smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 27, 2019 00:35

z

Of course.
But then not much different to most of his contemporaries.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 27, 2019 01:25

jlowe
z

Of course.
But then not much different to most of his contemporaries.

Only more so.

OT - Robbie Robertson new film
Date: February 22, 2020 18:30

RR discusses/promotes the movie on The Band, by Scorsese and him. [www.yahoo.com]

The Band, his writing, and those albums are stellar. But Robertson has lost it. what the hell is going on about?

Re: OT - Robbie Robertson new film
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 22, 2020 20:10

Palace Revolution 2000
RR discusses/promotes the movie on The Band, by Scorsese and him. [www.yahoo.com]

The Band, his writing, and those albums are stellar. But Robertson has lost it. what the hell is going on about?

He is getting up there in age. I was privileged to meet him several years ago & he was nice to me. Very cool. It was a living history event at the Experience Music Project where he talked about the history of the Band amongst other things & did Q & A. It was an invite only event that the label sent me to. I had a blown up knee at the time so they stuck me in the front row next to Paul Allen (RIP). Not too often you get seated next to a billionaire! Anyway, I've been a pretty huge Robbie fan for a long time, so it was a big deal to me.

Re: OT - Robbie Robertson new film
Date: February 23, 2020 09:25

crholmstrom
Palace Revolution 2000

He is getting up there in age. I was privileged to meet him several years ago & he was nice to me. Very cool. It was a living history event at the Experience Music Project where he talked about the history of the Band amongst other things & did Q & A. It was an invite only event that the label sent me to. I had a blown up knee at the time so they stuck me in the front row next to Paul Allen (RIP). Not too often you get seated next to a billionaire! Anyway, I've been a pretty huge Robbie fan for a long time, so it was a big deal to me.
Agreed on his music. The albums by the Band IMO are cornerstones in rockn roll history. But you let others talk about it in lofty terms. You don'
t do that yourself. And Scorsese knows how to spin a song into his stories, but he is lousy at putting a rock doc together. with the "Last waltz" he lucked out because the performances spoke for themselves. But even back then we see that whole overblown side of Robertson.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 23, 2020 22:53

they stuck me in the front row next to Paul Allen
Not too often you get seated next to a billionaire!

Ya shoulda hit him up for a few $$bucks and a new computer ….

ROCKMAN

OT - Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 23, 2020 23:59

Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band - Official Trailer - [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 24, 2020 07:27

>Ya shoulda hit him up for a few $$bucks and a new computer ….

Rockman, you are cracking me up! But yeah, totally true.

Heres something though, why is Martin Scorsce's name right there in the middle of all the musicians on the poster? Or are they listed as actors basically, meaning they have screen time talking? It just kind of stands out as not belonging.

Last year I read the book "Small Town Talk" about Woodstock NY and Albert Grossman, and all the others who got attracted there basically because Grossman was there. Very interesting book, a lot of Band references, a look at a lot of everyday life scenarios there.

Back in the day I considered The Band a bunch of Canadian hillbillies. I really didn't know much. I even turned down a chance to get into the Last Waltz, it was just going to be too much trouble and too much butt kissing. It was only relatively recently I developed a real enthusiasm for their music.

jb

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: February 24, 2020 19:24

A critical review:
[slate.com]

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 24, 2020 19:30

jbwelda
Heres something though, why is Martin Scorsce's name right there in the middle of all the musicians on the poster?

Scorcese's in the film. Check out the trailer.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: February 24, 2020 19:30

I've soured a bit on Robbie over the years, leaning more toward Levon's argument that Robertson made the group too much about himself.

I mean honestly, the film is called "Once Were Brothers" and it's STILL separates Robbie's name and has "Robbie Robertson and the Band". I realize this film focuses on Robbie' accounts of things, but it could be billed as "Robbie Robertson's story of The Band" or something like that. Just seems like bad optics.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home